• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frankfurt: Honda confirms 'new NSX'

You guys are blowing the 500 hp territory out of proportion. 400 hp is more than enough to be considered high performance, especially if there is room for aftermarket and power upgrades.....

No. I don't want to have to MOD my car again just to get close to the performance of all of its competitors.

It needs to run at least head to head with the Z06 and GTR. Both under 100K.

No. I don't want to have to MOD my car again just to get close to the performance of all of its competitors.

It needs to run at least head to head with the Z06 and GTR. Both under 100K.

Not gonna happen. Notice Honda never ever mentions the GTR. Although I honestly think SHAWD would have the Nissans AWD measure it's still under rated power wise. I don't think Honda has any intention of targeting it.

We may see a stronger IMA than what we've seen in the past and I think Honda will use this to compensate for turbos and we'll probably see instant down low tq to assist a lower hp engine make good 0-60 numbers.

Not gonna happen. Notice Honda never ever mentions the GTR. Although I honestly think SHAWD would have the Nissans AWD measure it's still under rated power wise. I don't think Honda has any intention of targeting it.

Then they might as well not bother.

Nobody is going to be this ACURA NSX wanna be if it is 2 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile than a GTR but gets 5 more MPG. Sorry.

Yes, one step at a time. Let's a get a refreshed mid-engine design with decent power released first. We all know its going to be in the +-400 hp range.

I can then see Honda making a Type R or uber performance model to compete with the big boys. Signature weight reduction, big brakes and 10-15% increased power. That's 40-60 extra hp if the standard is 400 hp, combined with say 100-150 lb weight reduction can push the new NSX into current supercar territory.

Then they might as well not bother.

Nobody is going to be this ACURA NSX wanna be if it is 2 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile than a GTR but gets 5 more MPG. Sorry.

They've been bad mouthed so much and had people/mags begging so badly for a replacement they feel they need to do something.

Does the "RADICALLY Different from it's predecessor" concern anyone else though. I know sometimes his english is f*cked up but the old NSX was a good formula for everything he mentioned so radically different.

Yes, one step at a time. Let's a get a refreshed mid-engine design with decent power released first. We all know its going to be in the +-400 hp range.

I can then see Honda making a Type R or uber performance model to compete with the big boys. Signature weight reduction, big brakes and 10-15% increased power. That's 40-60 extra hp if the standard is 400 hp, combined with say 100-150 lb weight reduction can push the new NSX into current supercar territory.

I wonder if Honda will do anything in Type R anymore. Nothing from it's current crop is type R anymore.

im not some crazy power monger anymore, but i must agree... if its slow and i HAVE to mod it to be happy, then why bother when i can go buy any other of the many choices out there.

They've been bad mouthed so much and had people/mags begging so badly for a replacement they feel they need to do something.

Does the "RADICALLY Different from it's predecessor" concern anyone else though. I know sometimes his english is f*cked up but the old NSX was a good formula for everything he mentioned so radically different.

I wonder if Honda will do anything in Type R anymore. Nothing from it's current crop is type R anymore.

Yes, Perry, I am disturbed by his choice of words. "radically different" means hybrid/green because in Ito's mind a supergreen sports car is revolutionary in 2014 just like the all-aluminum NSX was in 1989. I guess he's never heard of the Tesla? :confused: In any event, I am not opposed to a hybrid powertrain on principle- after all, instant mega torque is not a bad thing for a sports car. The problem is that Ito is preaching power-to-weight, which means he will want a lightweight car. Electric motors and batteries are HEAVY. The challenge for the engineers will be to find weight savings to offset the hybrid powertrain.

Though Honda has the aluminum knowledge and tooling to go that route, Ito seems to be implying it will not be used on the new car. There are other ways to weight savings, however. Modern alloy and CF/plastic technologies can yield savings not possible in 1989 without using aluminum.

Yes, Perry, I am disturbed by his choice of words. "radically different" means hybrid/green because in Ito's mind a supergreen sports car is revolutionary in 2014 just like the all-aluminum NSX was in 1989. I guess he's never heard of the Tesla? :confused: In any event, I am not opposed to a hybrid powertrain on principle- after all, instant mega torque is not a bad thing for a sports car. The problem is that Ito is preaching power-to-weight, which means he will want a lightweight car. Electric motors and batteries are HEAVY. The challenge for the engineers will be to find weight savings to offset the hybrid powertrain.

Though Honda has the aluminum knowledge and tooling to go that route, Ito seems to be implying it will not be used on the new car. There are other ways to weight savings, however. Modern alloy and CF/plastic technologies can yield savings not possible in 1989 without using aluminum.

Thank you counselor! Bingo hybrids are not light and shawd isn't that light either even the new unit. I'm actually thinking that he might be trying to give us a 250hp mid engine CRZ. That would be radically different from the original:frown:

Why does it have to be faster than a GT-R? The LFA (regular one) isn't faster, but they all sold out. Plus Motor Trend just had a Drag Race competition and the GT-R beat the Italia and the R8...but I bet most of us would take an Italia over a GT-R.

The NSX is still an amazing car and I would welcome an improved version of it.

Fire this guy for this:

"so when we develop our new sportscar we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power"

Short sighted.

If they want to capture more market share and awareness they should have a flag ship car that makes at least 500HP..... to the wheels..

BATMANs is correct. You need clear, decisive leadership (a combo of Jacques Nasser and Bob Lutz maybe).

When you (Ito) state from the beginning that Ferrari is not what you want to copy this immediately sends a misleading message. I understand that in Japan, humility + overachieving is better than being brash + underachieving, and when the 1st Gen NSX came out, it was unexpected and yet greatly influenced Ferrari to drastically improve its products, a legacy that continues today.

Let's not forget that back then Honda had an active interest in Formula 1, had access to the late great Ayrton Senna which no doubt gave them the confidence necessary to conceive AND build the 1st Gen NSX.

What does Honda have today? Well, on the positive side, they have had the experience of building the 1st Gen NSX, with all its advantages (and disadvantages/shortcomings). They also have the experience of having been down the stillborn HSE route, so the lessons will have been learned and I feel that this may actually help in accelerating the process for NSX2). On the negative side, Honda are no longer involved in the race pace of Formula 1, so when Ito talks about not copying Ferrari, maybe this is where he is coming from (i.e. being realistic, showing humility in the Japanese tradition).

Two main competitors are indeed the Corvette Z06 (I would even go as far as adding the ZR1) and GTR. To these, I would also add some of the products from Lotus, Porsche and Audi and not Ferrari, Lamborghini and Mclaren.

Sadly, in my opinion NSX2 cannot be sold for anything below $100K, maybe $130-150K, given its competition (time to start saving, big time). But this will be still about %50 of the Ferrari Italia/Mclaren car prices and should give about %80-90 of what they offer. After all, there will be very, very few people who would be prepared to pay $200K+ for a new NSX2 that would compete directly with Ferrari/Lambo/Mclaren.

Having owned an automatic NSX (I know, not the one to own), but still owning an S2000 and a FN2 Civic Type R (I live in the UAE) I really, really look forward to a new NSX, whatever it may end up being, as I think that may just be the Halo car Honda needs to re-invigorate itself forward...

The thing that worries me is that I feel Honda may put out some half a$$ sports car just to put one out, instead of doing it right. I just don't think a lot of current NSX fans will be impressed with the new NSX/NSX replacement.

Ok Ito's statement is still bugging the crap out of me as the 458 italia makes 562hp and weighs 3274. So power to weight is 2.5kg per hp. That's great! Old NSX power to weight was 10.88lbs per hp ( C32B engine ). So if the new car is "radically different" it would have to lose about 1000lbs?? putting it down to around 2100lbs.

2100lbs with SHAWD and IMA. Ito? I don't think so. Once again I think his translation was off and we'll probably get an explanation of what he really meant. Only way for the NSX to be radically different is drop 500lbs and increase hp by 200hp. How can they drop weight while adding IMA and SHAWD? I don't for a second think new/current Honda will release a 490hp car.

Plus price for this kind of tech would rival what the ASC was going to cost and Honda isn't going to go from not being able to sell a $90k car to a $150+ car so totally out of line with the rest of the Acura ( yawn ) line up.

So I think he maybe making the car much smaller ( CRZ size ). CRZ size car with 350hp would make it radically different from the old NSX.

Seriously Ito the HSC using your new tech ( advanced IMA , SHAWD ) would be a perfect fit for Acura line up put you at a price you can sell and be a realistically produced with parts sharing.

Here we go again Fukui wanted to gives us mega car and Ito is trying to give us mega green. Why can't their be any sensible middle ground so something can actually go into production?? Sigh

Ding ding ding! :smile:

ROFLMAO! That's so awful it has to be true! OMG I can just see Ito trying to pass this new NSZ off at the Tokyo Auto salon with a cheap a** interior LOL

Then John Mendel will be defending it against CR , Mags , NSX owners and enthusiasts in general saying that same BS he did in defending the Civic LOL

Oh snap can someone please photoshop a CRZ into a mid engine so we can see what's coming??

attachment.php

....BUT i REALLY LIKE THIS RENDERING...

attachment.php

....BUT i REALLY LIKE THIS RENDERING...

That's because Ito's Honda hasn't touched yet:rolleyes:

Gonna be priceless! The translator decided to say "radically different" instead of "really awful" ROFLMAO

Hang onto NSX's fellas as Ito has decided to do us a solid and release a car that will cause them to "appreciate".

^^ Looks like a stretched CRZ but a lot more bad ass

mugen-cr-z-parts01.jpg

i failed lol

S'ok so has Honda ..repeatedly!

I take back everything I said about weight as it probably won't have SHAWD or an 8spd even. It'll probably just be CVT LOL

Back