• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From NSX into Gallardo: Impressions

...This is sick, but I've spent over $30,000 in the last 9 months on the G, modding and pretty-fying the car; more than I sold the NSX for. And I've got all sorts of mods planned for this year. Yes, you've got to be nuts to do this, but I'll say it again: Best Sex I Ever Had!

Man....working for Daimler-Chrylser must pay WAAAAY more than I thought it did if their design guys are driving Lamborghinis and dropping $30k or more on mods in less than a year. WOW!! :eek: :cool:

Man....working for Daimler-Chrylser must pay WAAAAY more than I thought it did if their design guys are driving Lamborghinis and dropping $30k or more on mods in less than a year. WOW!! :eek: :cool:

I think he writes books too.

Any updates on the G lamboman? Did you upgrade to the sintered clutch? I hear that has been the only issue with the car as far as reliability goes, which was taken car of in MY06.

I can't wait to get one!!!

To be fair, you need to do $50k worth of mods to the NSX, then compare the two cars. (then the prices would be roughly comparable)

NSX with $50K mods would wipe the floor with Gallardo. No comparison. MiamiNeSex is selling his 700hp turboed for less than $50K :)

And I also think $350 oil change is out of mind, even for true exotics like Mc F1, Veyron etc.

NSX with $50K mods would wipe the floor with Gallardo. No comparison. MiamiNeSex is selling his 700hp turboed for less than $50K :)

And I also think $350 oil change is out of mind, even for true exotics like Mc F1, Veyron etc.

I just looked over the receipts that came with my 360 and the oil changes are 440-650 on that. :eek:

Well, Mclaren F1 is definitely in its own league when it comes to maintenance.. :eek:

McLaren F1 - Views from a long term owner
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37236

McLaren F1 - Views from a long term owner

I just read that link, that seems to be pretty cheap to maintain, considering the type of vehicle.

And 15 mpg - That's impressive!

Greetings
How many other cars did you drive before buying the Gallardo? Just curious. I drove multiple cars before buying my NSX. I started looking back in February of this year. I drove Porsche's, BMW, MB, Ferrari, Lamborghini, 5 NSX's that I did not buy, Lotus, Vipers, Aston, Corvettes, and 1 Ford GT before purchasing. I had always wanted a Countach, fell in love with them back in the 70's when they first came out -- I was just getting out of the military & wanted one. I was disappointed with the ones that I drove -- drove from old with carbs to new with FI. I can't describe it, but something was just missing when I drove them.

The Ford GT was amazing -- it scared me. It was more car than I would want to do daily driving in.
Martin

I just looked over the receipts that came with my 360 and the oil changes are 440-650 on that. :eek:

I've always wondered why this is. Do the Ferraris required a bunch of stuff to be unbolted in order to reach the filter or something?

I just changed the oil in my NSX last night. It cost me whatever 5 qts. of MobilOne 10/30 synthetic costs, plus a new filter. Maybe $40 tops. :biggrin:

and, besides, if i had a nice car like that (well, the nsx is nice too...) i'd like to spend some time underneath it (and i do) :cool:

Same here. There's something very emotionally rewarding about spending alone time with your car in the garage, tending to her needs. Every time I start a new project with the NSX, I gain a lot of new knowledge, and extract great satisfaction from knowing another item has been checked off my to-do list, and that the car is improved compared to yesterday.

I enjoy nothing more than to go out and work on ol' 1322 in the evenings after my occupational duties for the day are finished. It's a renaissance of sorts for me. I haven't truly been excited about sports cars since I sold my Pantera in 2001. The NSX has re-ignited the passion and excitement for all things mechanical that I've been missing for quite a few years now.

A big part of the experience though, is getting your hands dirty! Guys who let dealerships take care of every little issue are missing half the fun of owning a unique vehicle. :wink:

Cool write up!
Not too many comparisons of (2) cars 15 years apart!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"The NSX has re-ignited the passion and excitement for all things mechanical"

Not mine. After about 3 yrs of ownership, the thing has needed very little / almost nothing in regards to wrenching. Needed to buy another car for that.

I must say, I have spent less time working on the NSX than any other "fun" car I have owned. I guess that's a good thing. Just basic maint and its always ready to go.

Tino, my cars PO sold his NSX and 360 to buy a Gallardo. In fact, he is on his 2nd one. A (sort of blue) 2004, then a (sort of red) 2007 I believe. The colors on those two cars are amazing.

"And I also think $350 oil change is out of mind"
Well, how many miles do most of these cars drive a year?
Many oil changes are probably due to "time" rather than mileage.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Cool write up!

Not mine. After about 3 yrs of ownership, the thing has needed very little / almost nothing in regards to wrenching. Needed to buy another car for that.

I must say, I have spent less time working on the NSX than any other "fun" car I have owned. I guess that's a good thing. Just basic maint and its always ready to go.

Tino, my cars PO sold his NSX and 360 to buy a Gallardo. In fact, he is on his 2nd one. A (sort of blue) 2004, then a (sort of red) 2007 I believe. The colors on those two cars are amazing.

"And I also think $350 oil change is out of mind"
Well, how many miles do most of these cars drive a year?
Many oil changes are probably due to "time" rather than mileage.

Enjoy!

I was told the oil change on the 360 is once a year or 10k miles. I think the the Gallardo is my next car. As soon as the prices come down on the spiders I am buying a white one for sure. Unless of course the new NSX comes out first.:rolleyes: :smile:

I was told the oil change on the 360 is once a year or 10k miles.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brian Crell not sure if that is how his last name is spelled. He is the Ferrari guru and owns a shop in the San Francisco area. That is where I got the info from.

You know that really is not that bad when you figure the oil change for the Cayenne is 300 bucks and about the same intervals.

Cool write up!

You might've misunderstood my point. I'm not saying my car needs a ton of work. I just enjoy the process of doing performance upgrades and regular maintenance. Using your own two hands to improve your vehicle is a very rewarding pastime, and enhances your knowledge of the inner workings of your car at the same time.

About the only thing it "needs" at this point is a new window regulator or maybe a switch for the passenger side window. It's stuck in the up position, so I've put that one on the back burner a little bit. After my suspension install is done, that'll be next.

I was told the oil change on the 360 is once a year or 10k miles.

I might be imagining things, but I think I remember seeing in the NSX Service manual that Honda recommended changing the oil every 7500 miles. That can't be right can it?

Greetings

The Ford GT was amazing -- it scared me. It was more car than I would want to do daily driving in.
Martin

Really? I thought it was OK. The doors were awful to park with, the visibility was about zero. It was fast, but it was pretty quiet. The McIntosh Stereo was awful ($5000 option!)

I don't honestly think I would ever own one.

Why do they charge so much to change oil in an exotic car? Because people will pay it. I'd wager that the diffuculty factor is probably no worse than a civic's. They figure if you can afford a car like this, you can afford to pay a crazy price for an oil change. Never paid for an oil change in my life. I like to tinker.:biggrin:

I've always wondered why this is. Do the Ferraris required a bunch of stuff to be unbolted in order to reach the filter or something?

I just changed the oil in my NSX last night. It cost me whatever 5 qts. of MobilOne 10/30 synthetic costs, plus a new filter. Maybe $40 tops. :biggrin:

It may depend on the Ferrari but on my 85' 308qv, my oil change costs almost the same as an NSX, $10 filter + 9 qts oil. (I do it myself, easy to do)

It may depend on the Ferrari but on my 85' 308qv, my oil change costs almost the same as an NSX, $10 filter + 9 qts oil. (I do it myself, easy to do)

Then it must be true that the Ferrari dealers are just gouging their customers because they know they have the $$, and many of them would never think of getting dirt under their fingernails?

Hmmmm.

I've owned three Italian mid-engine cars and one "fake" Italian car, but never a Ferrari. I've changed the oil on all of them - a proverbial Piece O' cake.

I do ok financially, but I just can't understand spending $300 to have someone change my oil. That just seems unnecessary and foolish to me.

I was told the oil change on the 360 is once a year or 10k miles. I think the the Gallardo is my next car. As soon as the prices come down on the spiders I am buying a white one for sure. Unless of course the new NSX comes out first.:rolleyes: :smile:

I have a feeling these 300 dollar oil changes include much more than your standard oil change.

Yup. Gallardo is next on my to-do list (I think). Hopefully in the next year or so. One problem though - '04 Gallardos aren't much less than some '02 Murcis. Might be even closer when I'm ready to buy. That'll be a tough decision.

Back