• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fukui: New NSX launched in '09, emphasis on light weight

Exclusive interview with Autocar (UK) posted today. Highlights:

-Fukui: “The new supercar is necessary for Honda”
-V10, not a hybrid
-"Honda insiders predict that it will place emphasis on a low kerbweight and the new V10, thought to be a 500bhp 5.0-litre, will be very economical for its power and capacity."

Article also speculates that it will be front-engined and a 2+2 :frown:

Separately, I read another interview with Fukui today and he said it will have AWD.

So nothing too terribly groundbreaking, but at least they are sticking to the '09 date and it's encouraging to hear that they are focusing on keeping the weight low. Whether they accomplish that goal or not remains to be seen.

As long as they dont call it an NSX, Honda can do whatever they want. I for one am actually burned out from all the rumors and speculations and even the press releases from Honda. :mad: There is no new NSX, I consider the NSX dead as Honda doesn't seem to have any interest in a mid engine design anymore. :frown: I'll just cherish the one I have and move on. :smile:

Exclusive interview with Autocar (UK) posted today. Highlights:

-Fukui: “The new supercar is necessary for Honda”
-V10, not a hybrid
-"Honda insiders predict that it will place emphasis on a low kerbweight and the new V10, thought to be a 500bhp 5.0-litre, will be very economical for its power and capacity."

Article also speculates that it will be front-engined and a 2+2 :frown:

Separately, I read another interview with Fukui today and he said it will have AWD.

So nothing too terribly groundbreaking, but at least they are sticking to the '09 date and it's encouraging to hear that they are focusing on keeping the weight low. Whether they accomplish that goal or not remains to be seen.

Sweet sounds like a Ferrari 599/612 fighter. I know you guys are disappointed ,but Hondas been pretty clear that the next car will not be mid engine. This car will be awesome if they can keep the weight at 3000 or below:smile:

As long as they dont call it an NSX, Honda can do whatever they want. I for one am actually burned out from all the rumors and speculations and even the press releases from Honda. :mad: There is no new NSX, I consider the NSX dead as Honda doesn't seem to have any interest in a mid engine design anymore. :frown: I'll just cherish the one I have and move on. :smile:

+1

This car will be awesome if they can keep the weight at 3000 or below:smile:
I'd bet 10 to 1 they can't. Old NSX was barely there. This will have to meet all the new safety regs, it'll have a 5.0L engine, AWD, and I'm sure more luxury features. And it sure looks like it will be bigger, esp. if they do make it a 2+2. I'd be impressed if they kept it under 3500lbs given all that, not 3000.:frown:

I'd bet 10 to 1 they can't. Old NSX was barely there. This will have to meet all the new safety regs, it'll have a 5.0L engine, AWD, and I'm sure more luxury features. And it sure looks like it will be bigger, esp. if they do make it a 2+2. I'd be impressed if they kept it under 3500lbs given all that, not 3000.:frown:

+1

3000 lbs and a V10 and AWD sounds closer to 4000 lbs. AWD architecture is not for the weight concious, case and point is the Nissan GT-R coming in at around 3800 lbs, and thats with only a V6, the next Honda will have a V-10 AND back seats. We shall see what Honda pulls out of its hat though. Yes I am dissapointed its an FR design, but I will still say that I am curious to what they come out with.

+1

3000 lbs and a V10 and AWD sounds closer to 4000 lbs. AWD architecture is not for the weight concious, case and point is the Nissan GT-R coming in at around 3800 lbs, and thats with only a V6, the next Honda will have a V-10 AND back seats. We shall see what Honda pulls out of its hat though. Yes I am dissapointed its an FR design, but I will still say that I am curious to what they come out with.
The GT-R also has back seats. Plus TT engines, even with an aluminum block, often weigh about the same or even more than N/A engines with 2 extra cylinders. If the Honda stays aluminum, I don't think it will weigh any more than the GT-R... although I doubt it will be a lot less either.

I echo your last statement... the front-engined platform has always dampened my excitement a whole lot from what it would be, but I'm confident what they come up with will at least be impressive. Although not impressive enough to stay on the market for 15 years (even though it got dated) like the original NSX did.

Honda just announced the name of the NSX successor:

Chinese Democracy!

:biggrin:

Well if they do manage it it will not be cheap:frown: Honda has done some things people said they couldn't before so hopefully we'll get some nice surprises.

I have an idea - They can call is an S5000 and offer it as coupe, 4 dr, or SUV. That way they have covered all the bases!!:biggrin:

When is the tokyo show>??

Re: Join the club

There is no new NSX, I consider the NSX dead as Honda doesn't seem to have any interest in a mid engine design anymore. I'll just cherish the one I have and move on.
A guy can hold his breath just so long. Anyone still here from the '97 era discussions? (I just peak in here once a year or so)

Plenty of other options out there. :wink:

Re: Join the club

Heh if they want to make GT then let them do so, front engine goes with 2+2 and SH-AWD and I dont doubt it will be excellent car.

Luckily for us NSX is bullet proof so even in 10-15 years you will be able to buy heavily modded one in excellent condition and it will compete with modern supercars.

With Fukui's' track record of not living up to his many promises, don't be surprised if the V10 NSX does not happen at all. He changes his mind on the NSX direction so many times, which are likely influenced by external factors. This makes one question how strong his personal conviction is on the supercar replacement.

With that said, Price of oil is at $90 a Barrel. In 2009, most likely over $100. Will these external factors once again influence his decision in 2009 to perhaps replace the V10 with a V8? And if the economy takes a dump by 2009 will he change his mind once again on launching this car.

I've lost faith in this Honda Leader. He may be a technical whiz with development of the CVCC, but a technical whiz and a strong leader are usually mutually exclusive.

The only influence I'm worried about it the success of (and the acclaim dumped on) the R8. :redface:

Pay attention, Honda.

Aaagh! No not the R8:eek: It would be terrible if Honda made a fat azz mid engine AWD! If they're going to do AWD does engine placement really matter?

Honda really has no interest in another mid engine hand built exotic it's just not where they make their money. Hopefully Honda AWD whatever will be under $100k though if they expect any type of sales.

At ALMS, Acura execs confirmed there is a car already built and we won't be disapointed. V10 and most likely SH AWD (spelling?)

I've wondered as much. Also note that's the same thing said by an Acura Exec at NSXPO 07. I wonder if they're going to show it at NAIAS 08???

I got five says 90% of prime b*tches about no matter what they put out:biggrin:

I won't bitch as long as they do "put out":tongue:

I remember the "Acura factory guys" at NSXPO '03 saying things were pretty much set for the next gen NSX and we would not be disappointed ha ha......I know that any Honda employee who dares leak one morsel is playing with his career - I believe they all sign confidentiality agreements as a condition of employment. We will know when they decide they want us to know.....

With Fukui's' track record of not living up to his many promises, don't be surprised if the V10 NSX does not happen at all. He changes his mind on the NSX direction so many times, which are likely influenced by external factors. This makes one question how strong his personal conviction is on the supercar replacement.

With that said, Price of oil is at $90 a Barrel. In 2009, most likely over $100. Will these external factors once again influence his decision in 2009 to perhaps replace the V10 with a V8? And if the economy takes a dump by 2009 will he change his mind once again on launching this car.

I've lost faith in this Honda Leader. He may be a technical whiz with development of the CVCC, but a technical whiz and a strong leader are usually mutually exclusive.
I don't recall Fukui promised any one when the NSX replacement will be except for an approximate date.

Please explain where you go the information from, that he promised and not delivered.

And what does the price of Gasoline has to do with exotic cars or how many cylinders it has? Do you think people who can afford a car like that "new" will wonder about the price of the gasoline? Lots of people on Prime don't even drive their NSX daily; therefore, some one who buys an ASC supposed to do the opposite to worry about the price of the gas?

Vancehu,

You a man of consistency. Your have consistently defend Honda on the NSX replacement since the debut of ASCC. Do you think Honda turd doesn't stink?

11/3/03: In today's edition of Automotive News, staff writer Yuzo Yamaguchi reports that Honda President Takeo Fukui has conceded that the NSX will be replaced by a car "much like the HSC concept coupe shown at the Tokyo Motor Show".

1/5/2004 at NAIAS: (Referring to HSC) This model will serve as the basis for the next generation NSX you will see within a few years. We are committed to achieve the industry best performance, NO RIVAL EXISTS FOR THIS VEHICLE."

July 20, 2005: "We would like to debut a new super-sports car equipped with a V10 engine in three to four years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor," said Honda CEO Takeo Fukui

12/14/05: In an announcement released today, Honda has decided to introduce its Acura brand to Japan in 2008. The plan is to launch the brand with around 100 dealerships, or roughly half of the number of Acura dealers in the US.

1/7/07 at NAIAS: Today, we want to show you a new concept car that hints at the design direction of the successor to the NSX. This design was created by our Los Angeles-based team. In a few months, this team will move into the Acura Design Center. But they have already created an exciting Acura Advanced Sports Car concept. Before I show it to you, I want to emphasize that this vehicle is about more than just great styling. As we advance toward building a car like this, I can tell you it will feature advanced technology matching our passion for performance. This will include an all-new V10 engine that is Acura's most powerful ever. This front engine vehicle will also feature a new high performance, rear wheel drive version of Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive. Our direction is clear. We plan to Advance, in technology, in design, and in overall performance. This fall, at the Tokyo Motor Show, we will showcase the next stage in our advancement. But today, we have an exciting idea for the next Acura super sports car. I hope you like this exciting new concept, and the direction for the Acura brand. Thank you.

7/18/07: Mid year speech “Based on a comprehensive evaluation of the current market environment, Honda will reassess its basic plan and delay the introduction of Acura brand in Japan for two years or so from its original plan of fall 2008”.

10/23/07: from Autocar interview with Fukui: The next Honda NSX will not be a hybrid, but it is definitely coming, according to Takeo Fukui. In an exclusive interview given to Autocar, the Honda CEO scotched rumours that the new supercar had been postponed indefinitely, and that it would run a petrol-electric powertrain; the latest information is that it’ll be launched at the next Japanese motor show in 2009, and be badged as an Acura. “The new supercar is necessary for Honda,” Fukui told Autocar. He also confirmed that it would be powered by a V10 petrol engine currently still in development, but that engine wouldn't be getting any assistance from an electric motor. “The new NSX must have speed and be easy to drive and be considerate to the enviroment. But it’s not a hybrid,” said Fukui.

Back