• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future Nsx Driver

Hi guys/girls!
I noticed there's a lot of threads like these with people saying they're future Nsx owners, but I'm really hoping to be one some day.
I'll start from the beginning.. I owned my first Nsx.. model car (the plastic ones you build) when I was 8-9 years old. At the time I thought it was a Ferrari and just thought it was cool looking. Fast forward in time several years.. when I was 16 I got my first car so that I could work on it, because my parents knew I had always been into cars and I didn't have that many hobbies.
My dad found me a Red 1990 Honda Prelude for $2800 and they would pay half only if I studied hard and finished high school. Well I didn't study hard because I hated high school but I did finish it.

I really loved that car, but after 4 years of ownership and it was getting pretty rusted and there were always problems with it (mostly because of me). I was never able to tackle all of the rust on it by myself as it was just too much work..
In the time I owned it, I managed to completely rebuild the head by myself

Made custom speaker panels for the larger speakers

Full LED lights all around

The rust was overwhelming.. but I managed to fix the worst parts.

The gas cap rust was something also..

I also liked the clean the engine a lot and make things look good in the engine bay.

There was several other rust jobs but those were the worst. In the end I was tired as hell of working on it (it was my only car) and never had the time to do it all.
Right before selling it..

So I decided to sell it and buy the next closest thing I could afford to an Nsx.. another Prelude. This time after several months of searching, I found a '98 Type SH Prelude with relatively low miles.. but most importantly it was red.

That was back in 2007, I've been driving it since then but I've done a lot less modifying on it than with the old prelude because I'd rather keep it stock for when I sell it.. which is what I'm actually doing right now.
After high school I didn't know what to do, so I visited a trade school and went into Industrial Mechanics. After completing the course (it was a lot of fun), I realized I wasn't ready to just start working as a mechanic at the same shop for the rest of my life and probably wouldn't be happy that way..
I decided to go back to high school and do physics and math requirements to get into College (btw, College and University are two different things here).
I went to college and studied in Mechanical Engineering, I finished the course this summer, it was a ton of fun and made me want to continue, but it also made me realize once again that I found math boring as hell.. So now I'm in University and studying in Industrial Design.
Thus one of the reasons I'm selling my car, it doesn't get the attention it needs anymore and I don't want some douchebag Montreal driver to scratch it.
Here are the latest pictures of my car after almost 3 years of ownership.

Here is my custom jack that I made next to my car after a full brake rebuild.

The clean looking engine

Here's more pics of my Prelude
http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/Prelude98sh/

I think that's about it for my cars, I'm 22 now and I still love my Prelude to death and driving it is a blast, I never really get bored of it.. but I need to sell it to make more money for university.. which is a depressing decision but my whole point is to be able to buy an Nsx in 5 years hopefully if everything goes well and I don't get some girl knocked up.

I don't know why I've never signed up to this site previously.. but anyways I'm here now. All I really want is to learn some new things about the Nsx and it's awesome aluminum body that DOESN'T RUST.

If there's some cool threads you can all direct me too (Build threads, info threads, etc.) that'd be nice.

That's about it for me, I hope I didn't bore you too much with my little story.
Here's a picture I drew to make up for it if I did.. it's not perfect but I'm getting better.

The snowmobile (the other toy I wish I could afford) is a lot better though.

Thanks for reading!

-Alex

Last edited:
Welcome! :smile:
Sorry you didn't like Mechanical Engineering...once you get past all the math it is a very rewarding career that pays really well. I do alot of conceptual design of rocket engines and aircraft on CAD using Pro/Engineer. I haven't crunched any numbers in years.

You can read all about the NSX in the wiki...use the all pages link and peruse them. Lots of good info in there.

Good Luck!

greetings from another mechanical engineer!

specialized in automotive design and automotive engineering with a bachelors and masters in mechanical engineering.

you'll find yourself right at home here on nsxprime. you'll also find out, the more you learn about the car, that it is an engineer's boy-toy wet dream! haha.

Haha, no I actually really like mechanical engineering, I just liked the aspect of industrial design even more. I'm still a mechanic at heart lol
Hey blodi, does it pay well in general? I haven't really looked up yearly salaries of industrial designers yet as I was more into something that I would like rather than something that paid a lot.

Last edited:
I haven't really looked up yearly salaries of industrial designers yet as I was more into something that I would like rather than something that paid a lot.

You want an NSX right!!! Most BSME grads start out at $60-70K U.S. per year :biggrin:

Yeah but that's what you want to do :D

Naaa I wanted to be a mechanic but working on everyones greasy car got to be a nightmare...so I went to school to make better $$$.

You and I are are going down the same path and are the same age. I wish you the best of luck with your journey to NSX ownership hehe. I hope to get NSX within the next couple of years as well :). As a fellow Mechanical Engineer it's a good job with great pay I recommend it :).

Big_D I find that strange I noticed there isn't much number crunching in my job either... when I started I was expecting to be number crunching all the time... I kind of feel like I may need to open a book or something soon or else I may forget lol.

Hey Raven, that's cool that you have an Mr2, I almost ended up with one before buying my new Prelude, but the ones that I found weren't in great shape and it wasn't practical enough for what I needed. Great little car though.

I actually like my course a lot so far, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay in it.

Big_D I find that strange I noticed there isn't much number crunching in my job either... when I started I was expecting to be number crunching all the time... I kind of feel like I may need to open a book or something soon or else I may forget lol.

Yes, I know the feeling. I use spreadsheets as a crutch for any beam deflections and such. They come in handy. :smile:

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml

Good luck with your plan! I am happy to see people like you here, it looks like you will keep the car for a while after you get it.

note
NSX Prime is very addictive so be carefull :)

Good luck with your plan! I am happy to see people like you here, it looks like you will keep the car for a while after you get it.

note
NSX Prime is very addictive so be carefull :)

Thanks, I will probably keep the car a long time after I get it yes.. I like driving my cars rather than letting them gather dust.

Good luck in your search. Same boat here. Former owner of the following:

1986 Honda Prelude Si 5MT (blue)
1989 Honda Prelude Si 5MT (red)
1989 Honda Prelude Si 5MT 4WS (yellow)
1991 Honda Prelude Si 5MT 4WS (red) - two of them

front_left-6.jpg

And eight Acura Legends, including two currently.

Currently browsing the NSX market daily and getting ready to pull the trigger in the next couple of months. Keep us posted on your search!

Sounds like you're the kinda guy that should have an NSX and would take good care of it. I've had all sorts of Hondas, BMW's, Toyota's, etc., and none of them even come close to my NSX. Get one and take care of it.
Happy Motoring!

Welcome Alex.....just fyi that red nsx that you have on there is the Gruppe M NSX owned by someone named Alex too. He is from socal and a very nice guy and his NSX is topnotch.

I am a former prelude guy myself....I had a 94 azure blue green vtec prelude in 94....that was one of my most favorite cars especially with the all digital dash design.....I really miss that car.

Last edited:
I had to jump in. I am a Mechanical P.E. in Las Vegas. I do HVAC Design here but I don't work too hard either. VegasNSX can vouch for me. My cousin has an ID degree but is having trouble finding a true job in her expertise. She lives in Seattle, WA right now. Here is thing about studying engineering. You bust your ass for 4 to 5 years in college so you don't have to work as hard after school as much. I don't crunch numbers as much either. I can't say I "love" my job but it would be tough to leave it given the freedom I have and what they pay me to do very little some days. I only came into the office for 4 hours today. Can't beat that.

The NSX must be a true engineer's car based on this thread. I know several other Mechanical Engineers on this forum as well.

As far as job hunting goes you can always do something you love but finding that job is harder than you think. The vast majority of us settle for something a little different than we imagined in college for work. Hell, I figured I would be designing snowboards or bicycles for Cannondale. Everyone needs a good ME but those jobs are hard to come by I learned later. I commend you for searching out something you love but you may learn that doing something that pays the bills will win out some days or years.

Ideally, I was going to do 3D animation and work with Lightwave, 3D Studio and Maya. That was my dream job. The way my life turned out wasn't so bad either though.

You want an NSX right!!! Most BSME grads start out at $60-70K U.S. per year :biggrin:

Yeah ,that is if you find a job when you want to start out :eek::biggrin:......:redface::frown:

BSME here with automotive specialization. No, I'm not doing engineering, but I'm about to start pilot training with the USAF, so that's pretty good too haha.

Nice ludes! I'm a fan.

Back