• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future Owner Intro & Favor Request

Hi Primers - my name is Sean and I'm from Aurora, IL. I joined here a few years ago, but have been lurking on here for years before that. I planned on having my first post here be when I actually bought an NSX, but decided that it was time to introduce myself to all of you friendly & helpful folks. I've learned a lot from this great community.

A little about me. I'm 31, and have been engaged since 2012. We're getting married in 2 months now on our 6 year anniversary. The fiancee is on board and wants me to get my dream car. I work at a Honda dealership as a Used Car Manager and love what I do. I've dreamed about owning an NSX for over 15 years. I've owned lots of Hondas: 1989 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 1991 CRX Si, 1995 Integra GSR, 2012 Civic Si. My most recent Honda was a major project. It was a black 1991 CRX Si with an SiR front & rear conversion, and a JDM B18C ITR motor...among other things. Here's a couple pics of it:

For anyone that's interested, you can view my picture loaded build thread of the car here: http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=93922

Just recently, I decided to take the plunge and strip nearly every part on the car to part it out. It's a little sad, but the car is worth way more in parts.
Many hours later, and this is how the car & my basement look now:

My plan is to part the car out over the next few months, and use the money as a down payment on an early model NSX. My only requirements are: pop up lights, under 100k miles, Black on Black, manual trans, unmodified or basic mods, and good condition & maintenance history. I'm planning on a budget in the neighborhood of $35k. I joined Penfed several years ago in anticipation of one day buying an NSX. My credit is excellent, and so getting approved shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I should be able to make a purchase by the Spring.

The NSX bug has bit hard lately. Even found a Tamiya NSX-R model from Japan. This was my first ever model attempt...took around 40 hours to make lol

Here's the favor request. I was hoping that a local prime member would be nice enough to at least let me ride in their car. I've never even sat inside an NSX before. I've gotten very close to them, but just never made it inside one. I know I'm going to love it, but I feel like I need to experience it now. Thanks for reading & I look forward to meeting/talking with you guys.

Congrats on your soon to be wedding/marriage.

Sad to see you will be parting your CRX. I've had a couple and they still hold a special place in my heart. As I scrolled down, I was hoping to see that you finished it.

Congrats on your soon to be wedding/marriage.

Sad to see you will be parting your CRX. I've had a couple and they still hold a special place in my heart. As I scrolled down, I was hoping to see that you finished it.
Thank you! When I first started the project, I never planned to sell it. Then, my fiancée started a full time job and our income increased. Selling the CRX was the only way for me to make sense of an NSX purchase.

Getting you and your wife inside one is a great idea. Luckily a local NSX mechanic had one sitting in his shop for a few weeks waiting on a suspension swap out and let us come by and check it out. If you lived in Houston I would let you check it out. Speedmaster is from somewhere in IL I believe.

Getting you and your wife inside one is a great idea. Luckily a local NSX mechanic had one sitting in his shop for a few weeks waiting on a suspension swap out and let us come by and check it out. If you lived in Houston I would let you check it out. Speedmaster is from somewhere in IL I believe.
Good call. Thanks for the info!

I'm in Springfield, IL. I'd be more than happy to let you see my car, but I'm sure one of the Chicago area guys could help you out. You might try posting in the Chicago area sub-forum to get a local response.

Kenny

I'm in Springfield, IL. I'd be more than happy to let you see my car, but I'm sure one of the Chicago area guys could help you out. You might try posting in the Chicago area sub-forum to get a local response.

Kenny
Thanks Kenny! Appreciate the offer. Springfield is a bit of a drive...Ill try the sub-forum you suggested. Thanks!

The Artomobilia in Carmel is next month. You could always head down there if you want to run into a bunch of owners.

The Artomobilia in Carmel is next month. You could always head down there if you want to run into a bunch of owners.
Thanks for the idea. I would have been down to go if it was on a Sunday. Gotta work Saturdays...

Hope you're able to snag a test drive from someone. Sounds like you've owned a lot of great Hondas. Congratulations on the engagement, and we look forward to seeing you join the NSX fam soon!

Hope you're able to snag a test drive from someone. Sounds like you've owned a lot of great Hondas. Congratulations on the engagement, and we look forward to seeing you join the NSX fam soon!
Thanks!! I connected with Tangoman and he has graciously offered to show me his car. He lives nearby too. I'm pumped :)

"My plan is to part the car out over the next few months, and use the money as a down payment on an early model NSX. My only requirements are: pop up lights, under 100k miles, Black on Black, manual trans, unmodified or basic mods, and good condition & maintenance history. I'm planning on a budget in the neighborhood of $35k. I joined Penfed several years ago in anticipation of one day buying an NSX. My credit is excellent, and so getting approved shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I should be able to make a purchase by the Spring."

Why under 100K? NSXs are just beginning to get broken in at that mileage. Unless that is a requirement to get a note from Penfed, don't be afraid to get one with even double that mileage. See my signature to know that I know what I'm talking about. Good luck.

"My plan is to part the car out over the next few months, and use the money as a down payment on an early model NSX. My only requirements are: pop up lights, under 100k miles, Black on Black, manual trans, unmodified or basic mods, and good condition & maintenance history. I'm planning on a budget in the neighborhood of $35k. I joined Penfed several years ago in anticipation of one day buying an NSX. My credit is excellent, and so getting approved shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I should be able to make a purchase by the Spring."

Why under 100K? NSXs are just beginning to get broken in at that mileage. Unless that is a requirement to get a note from Penfed, don't be afraid to get one with even double that mileage. See my signature to know that I know what I'm talking about. Good luck.

Oh trust me I'm not concerned with a Honda having over 100k miles assuming it's been properly maintained. I've owned several high mileage Hondas....including a Civic with 330k miles. I thought it was a Penfed requirement to have under 100k miles to get the best rate. I'll have to look into it more.

Penfed now allows up to 125k miles IIRC
I will have to look into this. Thanks!

Wow Sean, that could very well be the best non-owner intro I have ever seen. :encouragement: Not only do you only buy Honda's but you work at a Honda dealership and are planning to buy the most iconic Honda ever made. You also wrench on your own stuff and fill your posts with pictures which everyone enjoys.

As for your future NSX you will love the seating position, which you have yet to experience, as it is arguably one of the cars best traits. Get the best condition lowest mileage example your money can buy and enjoy it. Keep us posted!

Wow Sean, that could very well be the best non-owner intro I have ever seen. :encouragement: Not only do you only buy Honda's but you work at a Honda dealership and are planning to buy the most iconic Honda ever made. You also wrench on your own stuff and fill your posts with pictures which everyone enjoys.

As for your future NSX you will love the seating position, which you have yet to experience, as it is arguably one of the cars best traits. Get the best condition lowest mileage example your money can buy and enjoy it. Keep us posted!
Haha thanks for the kind words, Aaron. I feel buying this car is my destiny. It'll be the culmination of a lot of dreams & hard work. Can't wait. Really looking forward to the seating position & superb visibility that I've heard so much about.

As for your future NSX you will love the seating position, which you have yet to experience, as it is arguably one of the cars best traits.

I couldn't agree with you more. The design, the engine, the balance are all amazing. But the view from the drivers seat is something you have to experience, there is no way to describe it. That and the analog feel of the steering are my favorite characteristics of my NSX. You'll look forward to every twisty road you can find.

Sean - very nice meeting you today. Hope you enjoyed the ride along. Like I said, anything you need let me know.
Brylek, don't spoil him by convincing him he needs a supercharged one - expectations need to be set accordingly :) NA is the only way to go!
Hope to see you at future events! NSX or not, any Honda fan is welcome!

Sean - very nice meeting you today. Hope you enjoyed the ride along. Like I said, anything you need let me know.
Brylek, don't spoil him by convincing him he needs a supercharged one - expectations need to be set accordingly :) NA is the only way to go!

Very cool of you guys for helping him out, Sean congrats on your upcoming marriage, hope you find and fulfilled your dream of owning one, the feeling of driving your Nsx home is priceless

Andrew - it was great meeting you as well. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to give my fiancée and I a ride in your car and give me some great NSX education. Your car is awesome! Couple quick pics I snapped:

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool of you guys for helping him out, Sean congrats on your upcoming marriage, hope you find and fulfilled your dream of owning one, the feeling of driving your Nsx home is priceless
I agree - super cool of them. Thanks for the kind words.... Can't wait to have that feeling

- - - Updated - - -

Just got back from meeting up with Paul (Brylek). All i have to say is thank you very much, Paul! Really appreciated all of the time you spent with us today. Your car is gorgeous. It was also extremely generous of you to give me a ride in it & let me drive! Anyways...pics or it didn't happen, right?

So, after riding in 2 different NSXs in one day after never even sitting in one...I think it's fair to say that today was a good day :) I discovered that I fit well in the car even being 6'3" and all torso. I also loved the visibility. Since I'm used to 4 cylinder Hondas, the extra torque felt great! Just can't wait to join the club. Thanks again Paul & Andrew!

Last edited:
Just got back from meeting up with Paul (Brylek). All i have to say is thank you very much, Paul! Really appreciated all of the time you spent with us today. Your car is gorgeous. It was also extremely generous of you to give me a ride in it & let me drive! Anyways...pics or it didn't happen, right?

So, after riding in 2 different NSXs in one day after never even sitting in one...I think it's fair to say that today was a good day :) I discovered that I fit well in the car even being 6'3" and all torso. I also loved the visibility. Since I'm used to 4 cylinder Hondas, the extra torque felt great! Just can't wait to join the club. Thanks again Paul & Andrew!

It was nice meeting you, too! I hope you buy one soon so you can join us on our drives!

It was nice meeting you, too! I hope you buy one soon so you can join us on our drives!
Well I'm definitely looking...trying to sell parts & save as fast as possible. I always planned on financing through Penfed, but read some good things about Lightstream. Might go that route now so I can get cash in hand quicker. I know a lot of sellers don't want to deal with financing.

Definitely look into other credit unions that you may have access to. I considered going with penfed, but they only do a bank draft for the loan. Another CU I am a part of had no problem depositing the entire loan amount in my checking account on a particular day (all they needed was a "letter of intent to sell"). From there it was a normal wire transfer to the seller's bank which cleared in about an hour.

Definitely look into other credit unions that you may have access to. I considered going with penfed, but they only do a bank draft for the loan. Another CU I am a part of had no problem depositing the entire loan amount in my checking account on a particular day (all they needed was a "letter of intent to sell"). From there it was a normal wire transfer to the seller's bank which cleared in about an hour.
Good advice!! Thanks

Bought one!! I'll make a separate thread soon!

Back