• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FYI....I raced a Porsche "Turbo S" tonight

Originally posted by Carguy!:
Major Stoner,
Your comment about a stock NSX pulling twice as fast as a stock 993 is a little hard to believe. Where did you see a statistic like that?

He said that it accelerates twice as fast ABOVE 100 MPH. I don't know if it's true, and I suppose it depends on what range you're looking at (100-120? 100-150?). I'm sure there's a comparison article out there where you could derive the numbers though...

Originally posted by Carguy!:
The 993 Turbo S had many other changes to the car other than the "S" after the turbo. I have the 9PSI comptech on my '00 NSX and have spent extensive time on the dyno to get it putting out as much rear wheel horsepower as possible and currently I think it is close to as fast as my 993TT.
Major Stoner,
Your comment about a stock NSX pulling twice as fast as a stock 993 is a little hard to believe. Where did you see a statistic like that?

Carguy, Not arguing let me say that first.
What other mods are on your NSX?
Headers, Exhaust , catback, ect. I was just
wondering. Is your 993TT stock?
Because with a 6lb CTSC, I pulled and passed
a 97TT, He is a good friend, and I know he
was driving. The last thing he wanted was me
passing me. (he is now looking at a 99NSX to
put a BSC/CTSC on with other mods)
The Turbo S has some mods in the engine as
well, but not major. It is quicker than the
Regular TT, but not that much faster.
As far as a 993 is concerned, It is not fast
at all, A stock NSX does pull faster but not twice as fast, both very refined and smooth.
I have a 3.8RSR clone it is at 326hp in a
2500lb car. The only car on the track that I
was not able to walk away from was a 97TT and
a Mallet 435 Corvette.(they walked me) With the NSX neither were a problem, as well as a 01 996TT.
I will let you know in a couple of months ]
how bad a 02 996TT with the X50 package kicks
my butt. But I am going to take it like a man.
Carguy you have the best of 2 worlds, It is
hard to decide what to drive, I know.
Excuse my puncuation skills, I flunked english.

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 08 August 2002).]

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
New E46 M3 lined up next to me. I looked admiring his car, he looked, and we nodded. He then proceed to reved the car. I revved my car. We both wait for the green.... and he took off, and I turned right.

While I don't think many of us appreciate the ricer connotation created by the term "kill story", I do find relative comparisons to other vehicles and NSXs with different mods very interesting. As long as it's done in good taste and with the emphasis on characterizing the qualities of each car then I think it adds some interesting information. Admittedly, there are so many variables in the typical street "encounter" that none of this can be taken too seriously. But hey, boys will be boys! Have fun and drive safely.

I agree with Tampa. To all his own! If these events disturb others then create another topic for them. I can bypass anything I'm not interested in, so I take no offense to the other topics posted on the board which are not of interest to me. I enjoy the comparisons noted by other car enthusiast here. (Lud if your counting, I'm for it!)

The problem with impromptu street racing is you never quite know how hard the other person is working,you may be busting butt,that dos'nt mean your competition is,Also its like a gun duel but there is no hancherchieve dropped,nor clock striking noon.Whoever decides its racetime first has quite an advantage.Btw I have driven a 02 996tt and I have yet to experience anything with that mush shove up to 135mph,CT blown nsx's included.I also don't want to see a forum exclusivly for this.The s2000 site has one and its like friday nite at the frat house meets jeuvenile court.

Originally posted by docjohn:
I also don't want to see a forum exclusivly for this.The s2000 site has one and its like friday nite at the frat house meets jeuvenile court.

I think we here on NSXprime represent a more responsible and mature group. (no offense S2k owners!) I don't think you would see the same thing here if we had a "NSX encounters" Forum. If by chance we did, we could always remove it.

You figure it out Porsche tt s 3400lbs / 450 hp = 7.5 lbs per hp, nsx 3000 lbs / 290 hp = 10.34 lbs per hp, the porsche wins every time, maybe that is why porsche sells about 1500 turbo's a year and nsx sell 200 a year. Do not think I am downgrading the NSX it compares with the standard porsche. In that comparison the NSX wins every time

Docjohn, you wrote:

"Btw I have driven a 02 996tt and I have yet to experience anything with that mush shove up to 135mph,CT blown nsx's included."

I originally thought the same thing, untill I had the opportunity to race against a good driver in a 02 996TT. I have the BBSC, headers & exhaust, and gained approximately 2+ car lengths on the TT by the time we hit 100, from a stop. I was pleasantly surprised with the NSX.

Just my 2-cents.

I'm sure at least most of the people on this forum know what a turbo s is. basically a one year production car in 97. The last year and the pinnacle of the air cooled turbo's. "Are you sure it wasn't a boxter" seemed out of left field to me.

My friend has a silver one. Mark Mcguire's old car. One day we went for a cruise and swithed cars, He had never driven an NSX and wanted to give it a go.

This car was really responsive, and the stock flywheel felt very light. But to get the max out of this beast you better be a dam good Porsche driver. IMO it was much more difficult to push to the limit than my X.

when Porsche publishes numbers like 3.6, 0-60, I know personally that I can't push the car to those times with out lots of practice, and maybe even a few clutchs (maybe with luck and a good launch 4.0)

I'm sure your X is fast this may explain your edge on a car that should not be that much slower on paper.

[This message has been edited by dvkim (edited 09 August 2002).]

Originally posted by hk4site:
You figure it out Porsche tt s 3400lbs / 450 hp = 7.5 lbs per hp, nsx 3000 lbs / 290 hp = 10.34 lbs per hp, the porsche wins every time

For $26,000 more than the NSX, it damn well better win every time.

You figure it out Porsche tt s 3400lbs / 450 hp = 7.5 lbs per hp, nsx 3000 lbs / 290 hp = 10.34 lbs per hp, the porsche wins every time

If you take a F/I NSX, the BBSC are making at least 425 HP (some over 400HP to the wheels.).

3000/425 = 7.05 .. vs the 911 S at 3400/424=8.01.

F/I NSX wins.
smile.gif

September's car and driver 1997 Comtech NSX-T 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 115 and a Porsche turbo 12.9 @ 115, look under the hood you should have a supercharger under there.

September's car and driver 1997 Comtech NSX-T 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 115 and a Porsche turbo 12.9 @ 115, look under the hood you should have a supercharger under there.

It might have a supercharger, but I don't think you'll find it under the hood...
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 August 2002).]

I personally like to hear these stories, mainly it puts some perspective in what the NSX is capable of with SC or TT.

Until this year, there weren't that many forced induction NSXs and it was generally known that Vipers, 993TT, 360s and certain others cars were not within striking distance of the typical NSX on the street.

Not with so many options and so many NSXs out there boosting, I find it interesting to see what so called 'real world' performance is like.

I mean we all know that with 230rwhp the NSX has amazing performance when compared to car in the same HP. What we don't or didn't know was that at 350+ rwhp, would it be comparable to other 350rwhp cars or would it surpass them.

I think we're beginning to see what it's capable of!
smile.gif

Kenric

Lud?

Vote for or against NSX encounters? With motivations maybe?

This question seems to come back every other month...

I vote for posts on "Spirited Encounters," separate forum or not.

People frown upon kill stories, but there is no reason that we can't share our experiences (read: spirited encounters) with other marques that are of interest to most car enthusiasts on this site.

The differences between a kill story and a spirited encounter are in the tone and method in which they are described in a post. I would hope that most members of this forum are intelligent enough to be capable of presenting their spirited encounters in an educated, mature, and non-threatening fashion.

After all, such ability represesnts the biggest differentiator between NSXPrime and all the rest, correct? If not, then we need to stop kidding ourselves in believing that we are much different from the Civic and Supra forums.

I for one think we can pull this off. Thus, let's frown upon kill stories, but let's keep Spirited Encounters coming!!!

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 09 August 2002).]

So far I don't think we have any votes against as long as we do it in the tasteful NSXprime manor we are used to.

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

I'm very impressed with what you forced induction folks are achieving.If there are nsx's with the percieved thrust (my but dynometer) of the tt porsches and maintain thier everyday usability then wow!On the topic of this thread I realize that the core group of regulars can have a great discussion on spirited encounters but it really comes down to every troll that ever surfed this web,just makes it annoying.

emvanderpol said : I originally thought the same thing, untill I had the opportunity to race against a good driver in a 02 996TT. I have the BBSC, headers & exhaust, and gained approximately 2+ car lengths on the TT by the time we hit 100, from a stop. I was pleasantly surprised with the NSX.

Which 'spirited drive' are your refering to? I really don't mean to sound defensive, and the 996tt owner really enjoyed talking with you aftewards, but in the first 'spirited drive' the 996tt was not ready (you were probably half to a full car length ahead before the 996tt driver punched it), and in the second, the 996tt driver let off the gas into the first turn, letting you get into your powerband, and then you and he were fairly neck and neck until you almost lost it on the top of the hill/corner when your suspension unloaded (the 996tt driver remembers specifically looking to his direct left when this occured), at which point both parties wisely backed off.

It's not big deal, and your car truly kicks ass, but I did want to clear this up. The 996tt owner has tested his car vs. another NSX with the same set up and from a stop and in a straight line pulled several car lengths ahead of him.

-Z18 (who loves virtually all sports cars, and is lucky enough to own several
smile.gif

emvanderpol,
i have to be very skeptical of your race against a 996tt. you say you were behind the porsche at the light, and by 100 you were dead even. so not only did the porsche have a car length lead and atleast a 1/2 second to a 1second jump, but by 100 you could make up that advantage? id put money on that. never happen, atleast not against a semi skilled driver. the numbers in the new car and driver speak for themselves, a 3.2 liter supercharged 155,000 nsx cant take a stock 996tt. i would like to know where they come up with that price tag though, must have left 50,000 dollars in the cash in the glovebox. btw,i think car and drivers numbers on both those cars are way off, the nsx should be in the mid 12's and the porsche high 11's low 12's. ive seen a bone stock 996tt turning 11.90's consistently. the nsx in the car and driver article does look awesome though.

also, we're comparing highly modified nsx's to bone stock cars. if you took the 150,000 that they quote for that comptech nsx, bought a brand new porsche 996 tt, for 120,000 and put 30,000 into it, it would obliviate that poor nsx. just the computer package for 3,000 adds 90hp!

With the 155K Comptech NSX taking 18.5 seconds to go from 100-150 and the Stock 911 TT taking 13.5, I find myself having to agree with Allan.
frown.gif

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

Back