• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

garage paint

Any suggestions on what type of paint to use? It seems semi-gloss is not that popular anymore, replaced by satin or egg-shell finish. Any recommenedations from anyone who's painted their garage recently? Thanks.

I have a question pertaining to Epoxy'ing the garage floors......How do I?

I mean, I bought some Bahr Garage Floor Epoxy from HomeDepot and also some Primer. Someone told me I needed to "etch" the concrete also.

Can someone advise or point me in the right direction so I can DIY?

Thanks,

I mean, I bought some Bahr Garage Floor Epoxy from HomeDepot and also some Primer. Someone told me I needed to "etch" the concrete also.

Thanks,

For etching,

a mild solution of Muratic acid and water would work well, just make sure you clean the floors of all the solution once you are finished. Another route is to rent like a floor waxer/buffer that has a scouring pad for concrete.

For garage paint,

TomCat is right, I wouldnt go anything below a Semi-Gloss for painting a garage for durability purposes.

HotWhls, thanks!

Btw, the walls in my garage are painted half aluminum colored semi gloss. The paint makes the walls look almost stainless steel like. I'll post pictures when I'm done with mine.

Thanks,

HotWhls, thanks!

Btw, the walls in my garage are painted half aluminum colored semi gloss. The paint makes the walls look almost stainless steel like. I'll post pictures when I'm done with mine.

Thanks,

Your welcome, it will be great to see your pictures. I am with Hrant on the flooring. I used to paint in the family business and haven’t seen too many floors that continue to look great over time. At first painting floors looks great but there is maintenance involved to keep it looking good over time. I am a fan of Race deck or the product in Hrants link. (Of course as a former painter I am a huge fan of any maintenance free products:biggrin: )

Last edited:
It really depends what kind of work you do in your garage. If you hose down your garage or get the wall really dirty, then go with semi gloss. Depending which room you paint in your house, most rooms walls are flats except the kitchen and bathroom. Because they get the dirtiest and get the most moisture.

Semi-Gloss (any gloss) will not hide imperfections on the walls. In fact they will enhance it. If it is too glossy, it will give you a very cheap look. It also depends if you have a lot of natural light in your garage or other lighting.

Flat paint will help to hide any defects on the walls.

Thanks,

Personally, I don't think you'll be happy with the Home Depot Bahr stuff. I've tried it and was very unhappy with it's ability to hold up. I recently put down the U-coat it system and I LOVE it.. It looks great, shiny clean, and wears like a rock. Preparation is everything, take your time here and do it right. But invest in a good product, ie U-coat it.. they do a great job and have great color options. I opted for the colored chips and clear coat. I have a three car garage and will be doing my single stall garage later this year.

http://www.ucoatit.com/ My floor looks every bit as good as the website pictures.

Hope this helps

ACD

Attachments

• garage2.JPG
    garage2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 127
  • garage3.JPG
    garage3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 169
  • garage-floor3.JPG
    garage-floor3.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 148

Thanks,
Look at my posts (Tomcat) here about floor paint, lights, lift , etc...
http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/garage/7790622-1.html

Personally, I don't think you'll be happy with the Home Depot Bahr stuff. I've tried it and was very unhappy with it's ability to hold up. I recently put down the U-coat it system and I LOVE it.. It looks great, shiny clean, and wears like a rock. Preparation is everything, take your time here and do it right. But invest in a good product, ie U-coat it.. they do a great job and have great color options. I opted for the colored chips and clear coat. I have a three car garage and will be doing my single stall garage later this year.

http://www.ucoatit.com/ My floor looks every bit as good as the website pictures.

Hope this helps

ACD

OK. Looks like semi-gloss is still the choice for garage walls. I am also going the "U-Coat_It" route as far as the flooring. It cost me nearly $600 for the kit, but I think this looks the best and is supposed to be the most durable. The only problem is with the oncoming winter, the window of oppurtunity to lay the floor down is getting slim since you need relatively mild weather to achieve the best results I'm told.

I did VCT tile on my floor and one garage is set up with the walls and ceiling done in FRP board. FRP board is the same wall material you see in car wash bays. It looks sweet!

Back