• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gentex rear view mirror group buy

jorligan said:
I installed a Gentex self-dimming mirror around 3 years ago. I used the original mount from the NSX and disassembled the Gentex mirror and fit the pieces in. Took a little grinding with a Dremel and fits perfectly. The mirror is bigger than the stock mirror so unless you remove the stock unit itself and mount the mirror very high, it can inpinge on front view. I will post some pictures if I can get it figured out.

Tim

This sounds like the best way to do it since holding the button on with glue can be an issue, plus u don't have to remove it. Let me know if you need any help posting the pictures. You can e-mail them to me and I will post them.

Thanks!

I'm in for a GenK60 if I know that the installation, fit and finish will look "Factory Correct".
Let me know who to contact for payment and shipping info.
Thanks

burbel said:
I'm interested in this as well, but would also like to see dimensions. I guess I'm most interested in the GK40 (just the homelite), if it will work my my opener (most likely will). All of these are auto-dimming, right?

As soon as the GenK mirrors come in I will post measurements against my stock NSX mirror. The Homelink will work with any garage opener, even rolling code versions. The Homelink will actually control a number of wireless home products such as remote home security or home lighting along with your garage opener. All of the mirrors are auto-dimming.

I ordered the GenK60. I will let all you guys know about size, ect., when it arrives. Hopefully I will find the time to install it before Christmas.
Michael

Anyone have any idea where to wire this mirror in for power? I was talking to my contact at Gentex, I can get the compass and temp one for $85.00 bucks (Not trying to rub it in or anything, I'd even be willing to get more, but I don't know how many would raise suspicion - I don't want to get this person in trouble for bootlegging - they spend alot of money with me) but it was mentioned it has four wires (I think). Plus of course you need to go through the firewall for the temp sensor (where is that hole?). Is anyone planning on doing a nice DIY writeup for those of us not smart enough to figure it out on our own?? :smile:

since the wires were nice and long, I wired them down the drivers side A pillar. I'm most likely going to tap into the wires left over from the OEM clock. Unfortunately none of the fuses under the drivers dash is constant power. Everything is ignition signal. I haven't looked hard but I'm certain that there is a boot that can be used to feed the wire through the front firewall.

My main concern is still the mounting of the mirror...

dnyhof said:
Anyone have any idea where to wire this mirror in for power? I was talking to my contact at Gentex, I can get the compass and temp one for $85.00 bucks (Not trying to rub it in or anything, I'd even be willing to get more, but I don't know how many would raise suspicion - I don't want to get this person in trouble for bootlegging - they spend alot of money with me) but it was mentioned it has four wires (I think). Plus of course you need to go through the firewall for the temp sensor (where is that hole?). Is anyone planning on doing a nice DIY writeup for those of us not smart enough to figure it out on our own?? :smile:

You can catch power, ignition and ground behind the radio. Getting through the front firewall is fairly simple, if you cannot find a suitable point or do not feel comfortable finding the wires, I would suggest having a reputable car audio store in your area to do the install.

SNDSOUL said:
You can catch power, ignition and ground behind the radio.....
Actually much easier picking up power from the fuse panel on the left kick-panel. There are 4 choices for power available - constant, Ignition, accessory & lights. Just use a simple spade terminal to tap right off the connector on the top of the panel.

Attachments

• dashfusebox.JPG
    dashfusebox.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 3,534
D'Ecosse said:
Actually much easier picking up power from the fuse panel on the left kick-panel. There are 4 choices for power available - constant, Ignition, accessory & lights. Just use a simple spade terminal to tap right off the connector on the top of the panel.

Just a footnote, C912 in that diagram, at least for my car, didn't have power till I put a fuse in one of the fuse boxes. I believe it was the one in the engine compartment. I tried to check the online manual to find out where the fuse was, but I couldn't find it. I know I saw it in my 95 manual, I'll dig around for it when I have the manual in my hands again.

At any rate, that is your constant 12v wire for the mirror.

Any update on when they'll go out Brett?
Remember Santa is going to want this for my stocking!
Even Monday might be tight for following Friday now ...

D'Ecosse said:
Any update on when they'll go out Brett?
Remember Santa is going to want this for my stocking!
Even Monday might be tight for following Friday now ...

All of the mirrors came in this afternoon as scheduled, they will be shipped Monday morning. I still have not recieved payments from everyone that ordered. I ordered the mirrors without payment trusting that everyone that pm'd, called or emailed me about getting a mirror would follow through. If you ordered a mirror and have not sent payment yet, please contact me to verify you still want the mirror. thanks--Brett

BTW I forgot to measure the mirrors today, but if I go into the store tomorrow I will get their size and post the dimensions.

these mirrors have been sent out:

D'Ecosse--1Z79V3021245278769
Cairo..--1Z79V3020344699181
Rude Boy..--1Z79V3026843235776
Cruzrmm--1Z79V3020340169200
SamBel--1z79v3020345887814
PeterM--1z79v3020343736829
TimP--""
MalibuR--""

I will continue to post tracking #'s as I recieve payments

The mirrrors measure 10.5 x 3.5 on the outside.

Last edited:
burbel said:
..... All of these are auto-dimming, right?
Yes - there is a detector on the mirror frame which activates the dimmer.

polar said:
... Is there a on/off button to turn off the auto dimming?...

Yes - it will default to "on" at each ignition power-on, but then can be turned off and on as desired.

Malibu Rapper said:
.....Just a footnote, C912 in that diagram, at least for my car, didn't have power till I put a fuse in one of the fuse boxes.....

(Also reference this post)

That is correct Malibu - the fuse to power that accessory location is an option; it is indeed in the main fuse panel in the engine compartment, fuse # 17. This will have to be occupied in order to utilize the battery terminal (C912) on the dash fuse panel. Note that you have spare fuses of different sizes located in the dash fuse panel, so you shouldn't have to make a special trip out to find one.
See diagram below of the main engine fusebox:

Attachments

• mainfuse.JPG
    mainfuse.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,693
  • DSC01024.JPG
    DSC01024.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,507
  • DSC01023.JPG
    DSC01023.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited:
I had the button removed/installed at a glass shop - I would strongly recommend not doing this yourself! I watched with eyes half closed as the glass tech had to heat the button with a gas torch to get it free - afterwards the window was too hot to even touch!
He did a great job though - the $35 charge was definitely peace of mind - so much so I gave the tech $20 too!
One caution - they will not guaranteed that they won't break the window.
Very pleased with end result.

Final results - hard to get decent pics of the mirror! In the last one you can see the LCD temp display.

(note my kid's Civic in the background getting the stereo treatment! - it never ends!)

Attachments

• DSC01000.JPG
    DSC01000.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSC01007.JPG
    DSC01007.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,480
Here are some install/wiring tips with some pics taken when we wired Cairo94507's mirror with the map-light option today: One note when installing in the Targa - the flat connector is too big to fit in the small space in the head-lining - we simply cut off the connector & spliced the wires together. (The connector did fit in my coupe however).

1) The temp sensor - just clips directly onto the inside lip of the bumper

2) The power wires - yellow is battery constant & red is ignition: connect them to the dash fuse panel in the locations shown (note that you must enable the battery connection by adding the fuse in the main panel in the engine-bay per the post above)

3) The Brown wire for the map-light door switch (for those who purchased that model): connect this with a tap-splice to the green/blue wire at the connector going to the safety indicator panel.

Attachments

• DSC01025.JPG
    DSC01025.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DSC01022.JPG
    DSC01022.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,435
  • DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,438
If it's not to late I'll take a GenK60, let me know the Paypal info

Re: Gentex rear view mirror group buy-Installed

D'Ecosse (Ken) - I can't tell you all how appreciative I am for your help installing this mirror. (Help...he actually did all the work while I watched and got in his way.) You definitely know your way around the electrical system of these beautiful cars. I could never have figured this out on my own. Thank you big time.

Everyone else-

Ken jumped in and before I knew it he was done and I now have a wire hanging down from the top of the windshield awaiting my taking the car to a glass shop do have the correct button installed on the windshield so I can plug the mirro in. I hope to be able to do that this week; can't wait to see the finished product.

Ken did plug it in and it all works just like it should; not that I was surprised since Ken did the work. This definitely will update the car and the 3 door opener buttons will work great for my house, my parent's and my brother's.

On the T's the mirror's map light function is definitely worth doing. It directs light right down on the console area. The temperature and compass are just cool. The mirror is bigger and way better than the stock unit. This is definitely a nice upgrade for our cars that I whole heartedly recommend.

Ken took pictures to assist everyone else with their installs. They came out great. Overall, Ken is just too nice a guy and always willing to help out a brother NSXer. I have the good fortune to have met him and live only 15 minutes away. I hope he doesn't move now.....

Thanks again Ken,
Michael & Ann Marie

D'Ecosse said:
Here are some install/wiring tips with some pics taken when we wired Cairo94507's mirror with the map-light option today: One note when installing in the Targa - the flat connector is too big to fit in the small space in the head-lining - we simply cut off the connector & spliced the wires together. (The connector did fit in my coupe however).

1) The temp sensor - just clips directly onto the inside lip of the bumper

And the big question of the day: How did you get the sensor wire into the front of the car? DRILL? :eek: , or was there space through an existing grommet that was used? :confused:

Inquiring minds wish to know....THANKS! Mine should be here TOMORROW!

SamBel said:
And the big question of the day: How did you get the sensor wire into the front of the car? DRILL? :eek: , or was there space through an existing grommet that was used? :confused:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that - please find pic below - yes, I'm afraid you will have to drill a hole in the bulkhead - there is nothing suitable already there that can accomodate the harnessed sensor wire (If you remove the plug & the shroud however, there are only two wires, so it may be possible to find something that will accommodate those) Should not be a big deal to drill a hole though?
The location in the pic is not necessarily the "most-optimum" but there was a hole already previously drilled there for an alarm install - we simply enlarged it to take the new harness without having to mess with it. In that location it came out to the right side of the pedal-box, between the gas pedal & the center console. It may have been more convenient to the left of the pedal box, but of course you also have the brake lines to contend with on the front compartment side.

Attachments

• DSC01026.JPG
    DSC01026.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,408
Last edited:
Back