• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going from a ferrari 360 back to an nsx?

I thought that way also when I took the plunge for the 360. But I too had to face the prospect of an engine rebuild and 2+ months spent in the shop over the summer. It aint worth it if you really want to drive it and put miles on it. There's a reason why the engine is under glass. It's meant to be admired like a piece of art, but not to be driven mile after mile. If you really want a 360, get 2. One can be driven and enjoyed while the other is in the shop!

Ugh I hate to hear these stories. I really want to step into a 360 when the timing is right because I have always wanted one but if I have to spend $15k to rebuild the engine just to stock then I will be uber pissed. $15k on an NSX engine goes a long way... Note to self: it's perfectly ok to keep dumping money into modding my NSX bc at least I can count on this car. Still... I want that Ferrari v8 music maker and sumptuously curvaceous body. Gotta figure out how to keep them both I guess.

How about widening the framework instead of making it a binary question. For instance, what is attractive about the 360 that the NSX doesn't have? Are there ways you can improve certain aspects of your NSX to match or exceed the 360?

However, if it's a self-actualization thing (ie you've always wanted to own a Fezza) or are a member of the tifoso, there's nothing that will fulfill that desire than actual Ferrari ownership.

How about widening the framework instead of making it a binary question. For instance, what is attractive about the 360 that the NSX doesn't have? Are there ways you can improve certain aspects of your NSX to match or exceed the 360?

However, if it's a self-actualization thing (ie you've always wanted to own a Fezza) or are a member of the tifoso, there's nothing that will fulfill that desire than actual Ferrari ownership.

I think for me it's about experiencing the car more than a once in a blue moon ride or drive. I've always loved the looks of the 360 from a design standpoint from the day it came out. Couple that with the sound of the motor and shifting through the gears on the gated shifter and I think you have something worthwhile. Will it cost you more to own than an NSX? Yup.... but at the end of the day it's only money and you can't take anything with you when you're dead.

I find it interesting that many here just simply are bringing this comparison down to dollars and what things cost. It sounds like the NSX really is the poor mans' Ferrari by the way some are talking here. Take money out of the picture and for those that have experienced both cars, what one would you pick? I'm interested in those that have come back to an NSX if it was a driving experience thing that brought them back?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, I don't view the 360 as a need for speed thing, if I want raw power I have a GT-R for that, what I'm looking for is a heightened driver's experience and if someone went to the 360 and said, "nope, not near as exhilarating as my NSX, I'm going back..." Anyone do that?

I just came back from the track at a 3 day event with the Ferrari club. I observed a few things: 1) my car is as fast or faster than most ferraris on the track with equivalent drivers... Roughly speaking. 2) I like the looks of my car as much as most ferraris. 3) my car positively sounds like shit compared to most ferraris. 4) my car, supercharged and all, seemed more reliable than some highly maintained and pampered Ferraris. The sound matters a lot, and I know about the sexy clanky shifter.... I like it. Mind you I also own a Maserati with a 360 engine and trans. With better leather, sounds and even smells than my NSX.

They are very different cars. My Maserati has developed a small oil leak... And the oil change is. $450, still way less than a Ferrari but not $80. It's a bit aggravating. I'd do an F430... A 360 is just not good enough to lure me away.

routine maintenance and an engine rebuild are two different things... I'd be curious the story behind the rebuild as in why did it blow? I know this board is biased towards the NSX and that's all well and good, but my research on the 360 is that's it's a pretty reliable car so long as it's driven and not let to rot. I will say I question the fragility compared to the NSX as I was able to see one up close recently, but the seat time in it seemed to be more exhilarating than my NSX, and mine is set up to run a track moreso than a public road. Maybe it's just something a man must go through at some point in his life... there clearly is a reason people buy ferrari's outside of the name, they have to be doing something right with regards to the driving experience.

I don't know the entire story about his 360 but it was low mileage and and when the prospective buyer took it to the F dealership for a PPI, they told him that the car had low compression on 3 cylinders and it would cost $15k to get back to spec.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that many here just simply are bringing this comparison down to dollars and what things cost. It sounds like the NSX really is the poor mans' Ferrari by the way some are talking here. Take money out of the picture and for those that have experienced both cars, what one would you pick? I'm interested in those that have come back to an NSX if it was a driving experience thing that brought them back?

I really enjoy threads like this. Even though the NSX is and will likely remain my dream car it's very fun to read of others' other-car experiences. With NSX's seeming to be relatively affordable to the average buyer/flipper of multiple Ferraris & GT-R's, etc. (and maybe even appreciating in general), I get the impression that it might be easier for you to just go out and try a 360 while keeping the NSX around for 12 months and then later decide yourself which to keep/sell/flip than it's going to be for you get the feedback that you're really looking for at a site like this one. :)

But hoping this might help you - I've enjoyed few threads more at NSXprime than this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ter-9-Years!?p=1621823&viewfull=1#post1621823

His link to the FordGT forum that he mentions is dead, so try this one instead which covers the F430, 458, Ford GT, Gallardo, GT3, etc in very good "everyday man" type of detail:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...lardo-Porsche-GT3-RS-Ferrari-F430-Ferrari-458

I think both threads (when combined) cover fantastic real-life ownership experiences of NSX highlights vs. other-car highlights.

Interesting to note that the author (who unfortunately hasn't appeared recently on Prime after getting the Zanardi) apparently no longer owns the 458 but still owns his NSX and the Ford GT. See his sig file at the fordgtforum thread:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Present Cars: Ford GT, Porsche Carrera GT, 2013 Porsche C4S, Zanardi NSX, Mercedes S550, VW GTI, Jeep Wrangler
Recent Cars: Ferrari 458, SLS AMG, Nissan GTR, Porsche GT3RS, Viper ACR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F430
Inbound: SLS Black Series

Hope you enjoy, and good luck with your path. Let us know in this thread what you eventually do.

I really enjoy threads like this. Even though the NSX is and will likely remain my dream car it's very fun to read of others' other-car experiences. With NSX's seeming to be relatively affordable to the average buyer/flipper of multiple Ferraris & GT-R's, etc. (and maybe even appreciating in general), I get the impression that it might be easier for you to just go out and try a 360 while keeping the NSX around for 12 months and then later decide yourself which to keep/sell/flip than it's going to be for you get the feedback that you're really looking for at a site like this one. :)

But hoping this might help you - I've enjoyed few threads more at NSXprime than this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ter-9-Years!?p=1621823&viewfull=1#post1621823

His link to the FordGT forum that he mentions is dead, so try this one instead which covers the F430, 458, Ford GT, Gallardo, GT3, etc in very good "everyday man" type of detail:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...lardo-Porsche-GT3-RS-Ferrari-F430-Ferrari-458

I think both threads (when combined) cover fantastic real-life ownership experiences of NSX highlights vs. other-car highlights.

Interesting to note that the author (who unfortunately hasn't appeared recently on Prime after getting the Zanardi) apparently no longer owns the 458 but still owns his NSX and the Ford GT. See his sig file at the fordgtforum thread:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Present Cars: Ford GT, Porsche Carrera GT, 2013 Porsche C4S, Zanardi NSX, Mercedes S550, VW GTI, Jeep Wrangler
Recent Cars: Ferrari 458, SLS AMG, Nissan GTR, Porsche GT3RS, Viper ACR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F430
Inbound: SLS Black Series

Hope you enjoy, and good luck with your path. Let us know in this thread what you eventually do.

Can't say I want to float an F car for 12 months while I decide. As I said, I already have two fun cars with one still under loan, selling the nsx would pay off the other leaving an opening on another loan. I'm undecided at this point, it'd be nice to experience it once in my life, kind of like a bucket list sort of thing.

Sounds like you should just do it then. :) I was honestly mostly trying to convey that IMO it'd probably be *easier* for you to buy/keep/test than get the feedback you seek at this site.

But do read those threads. I think you'll enjoy them and maybe gain some of the type of insight you're looking for. Good luck!

I think that if the 360 is something that you really want to experience, then you should. You know that NSX prices are stable as a rock and that you will most likely be able to buy another one in similar condition to the one you have for close to the same price that you will sell it for.

I should add, I don't view the 360 as a need for speed thing, if I want raw power I have a GT-R for that, what I'm looking for is a heightened driver's experience and if someone went to the 360 and said, "nope, not near as exhilarating as my NSX, I'm going back..." Anyone do that?

I think there are more than a few NSX owners on prime that have gone the Fezza route. I know of two local ex-owners that are Ferrari owners and reminisce constantly about their NSX ownership. However, though they say they want to own an NSX again and they can obviously afford it, they haven't bought another. Curiously, none of the ex-NSX owners that are now P-car owners (930 turbo and 996 GT3) reminisce. I don't think one can infer any significant correlation between the two but it did strike me as interesting.

I'm not sure I've seen the Ferrari owners participate on prime lately. You may want to search and PM some of these guys.

Alternatively or, rather, to add to the list: is there another Ferrari that you could buy (maybe less expensive) so that you could have a Ferrari and the NSX?

Last edited:
Get the 360, YOLO!!

But seriously, it's your dream car. No matter how much we say "don't get it", or "it's a maintenance nightmare", it will always be on the back of your mind.

Have you even considered selling the GTR instead of the NSX? I am just curious about this.

to call the nsx the poor man's ferrari and be debating whether you can afford to carry 3 sports cars........is kinda weird:confused:

Admittedly, the 360 Spider is something that I oft check'out from afar. Perhaps the only late-model Ferrari of (practical) interest to me.
to call the nsx the poor man's ferrari and be debating whether you can afford to carry 3 sports cars [on a note]........is kinda weird:confused:
QFT.

There are individuals here who can easily acquire an Acura, dealership. Let alone a Ferrari, or three. Yet, they aren't compelled to write blank cheques whether to Acura or Ferrari or else for what they don't deem worthy.

Hence, enough of the small minded thinking. Quality is a virtue, to demand such isn't being “poor” in thought & intent.

Last edited:
lol.the poor mans' ferrari is really the 308:tongue:.......

lol.the poor mans' ferrari is really the 308:tongue:.......

It is now but there was nothing poor about the 308 when it was new. My first F car was a 1979 308 that I bought new for $36k+(MSRP). For comparison's sake, a new 1979 Corvette coupe base price was under $11K, three and half time less. That makes a poor man's Ferrari selling today for 3.5 times+ the price of a new Corvette, about $180K (actually the 458 starts at around $230K). And remember, the 308 was the only F car imported to the US at that time. The BB and 400 were not sold here.

It is now but there was nothing poor about the 308 when it was new. My first F car was a 1979 308 that I bought new for $36k+(MSRP). For comparison's sake, a new 1979 Corvette coupe base price was under $11K, three and half time less. That makes a poor man's Ferrari selling today for 3.5 times+ the price of a new Corvette, about $180K (actually the 458 starts at around $230K). And remember, the 308 was the only F car imported to the US at that time. The BB and 400 were not sold here.

but of course now.....many used 308 owners i know are very handy average Joes who want a piece of the legend,and do some of their own work.Back in the day a four valve 308 was the bomb.....or get one of those grey market glass pre 80 cars.

OP comquat1, I am in the same boat with you. I am highly considering a 360 Spyder. It is a gorgeous car and this car has been on my radar for years.

I have been reading the F forums daily for 6 months. The average 360 owner said you will need between 4-6k per year for routine service. If something major happens, then double that. I am looking for a 02+ 360 with a clean service history. 20k miles is ok (means its been driven) and at sub 100k, I think it is a good bang for the buck.

I plan on keeping my NSX because I have way too much money in it to ever get it out. It is faster than most Ferraris; so speed is not my purpose for looking for an F car. I guess as most would think, owning a Ferrari is an experience. If I find it is something I rather not have in my garage, I would sell it later down the line.

The other car I am considering is the Gallardo but there are major pluses and minuses to owning each one.

Good luck with your search and remember do not settle on what you really want.

OP should buy a well done Ferrari replica with a better FI v8 powerplant.

:::flame suit activated:::

in the looks dept, the 360 isn't all that great. Kinda looks like a more refined mkiv supra. Bite the bullet and go for the 430. Or go a few steps back and get the 355. That body and exhaust note are best of Nsx & Ferrari imo.

i know they say buying an exotic sportscar is an emotional leap, but if you're even semi-finance conscious think of the resale on the 360, it's poop. You'll eventually have to come across an equally impulsive buyer to finally move it when you decide it's not for you. There are models selling local to me in the $80k price range that still aren't selling. Try saying that about your Nsx, it'll sell within a week leaving you in total regret. Ask me how I know

Last edited:
It's obvious that this forum is biased towards the NSX. But what got me interested in actually owning the NSX was the example of a friend of mine who is a doctor and can afford almost any car he wants and he usually buys it.

In 1991 he purchased his NSX and has owned it ever since. Since I've known him he has owned Maseratis, Mercedes, Lambos and almost every Ferrari since the 308. He currently owns a McLaren Mp4 and a Mercedes SLS AMG. Through all of those very expensive and prestigious cars he keeps his 91 NSX with 300K miles. He will not sell it and drives it daily. Several years ago I tried to buy it from him and he told me that it's the best sports car ever built and he is married to it. The others are just attractive mistresses. This long story is just to illustrate an experience I'll never have unless I hit the Power Ball. I have my dream car and would love to own a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren etc. just for the experience.

So, if I were in your shoes and the Ferrari is one of your dream cars, I'd go for it with no regretts. Life is way too short.

Last edited:
Back