• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got Money. Need shop

Hey guys, so quick intro. I have a 1991 NSX with 50k on it. 5spd. It has the following, so you can see i love the car. I have had since 2000. I own www.edrperformance.com we build race bikes, and i personally just build our race engines and operate the dyno, so i know alot about motors/cars/bikes/etc.

Car has
DC headers
C/T bp pipes
RM muffler
Jap Gears
Jap ring
RM clutch (crap!)
HRE 18x8, 19x11
THe usuall otherstuff. like sway, springs, rotors, pads, wings west kit, yada yada.

Here is my problem. I want/NEED more hp. I just had it dyno'd (mustang?) and the car has been all stock, except i/h/e. I run 90% pump 92 oct and 10% VP MS-109 unl. The car only made 228rwhp. wtf? it feels alot faster. my air fuel ratio was all over place. Not sure what is good. My race bikes running 6% oxy race gas we set up as flat as a table at 13.0-13.2 but i think the cars need richer. My a/f ratio goes VVERY rich at @4k and then OVER 14.1 from 6500-8000.

So heres my question. (sorry so long)

I have about $15k to spend on it and yet NO ONE will take my money! I was talking with Mike at FX last year (but had to postpone due to buying new 2nd dyno for my shop) and regret not having them do the FX400 setup. I have emailed Gary Johnson(?) three times. Im about to give up.

I just want to take it or ship it to a GOOD shop. Drop it off. Have them turbo or even C/T hiboost it, AEM, Walbro, RC inj, wide band, instal a A/F gauge, Oil temp gauge and do all the mapping and tuning. I just write a check and pick up. This is how i do my business. I have guys ship us brand new or used bikes, we do everything from simple to just got done doing a 191rwhp R1 stroker complete bike. The guy just picked up, put in gas and smiled.

Why is that so hard? Am i out of luck? If so, i will just sell her. I also have a e46 M3 with AA s/c and it dyno'd at 378rwhp on Dynojet dyno.

Any help with shops in Oregon, wash or hell ill DELIVER (i have a 40' Nascar double decker race trailer) to cali.

Please let me know if you guys can help steer me (and my money) in right direction. I work on bikes all day long. DOnt want to work on my car after work.

thanks much

some pics for ya guys to see how nice she is. btw: stereo is sick! will post pics later if i can. thanks again

Attachments

• NSX pic 1.jpg
    NSX pic 1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 726
  • nsx rear right side.jpg
    nsx rear right side.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 736
  • nsx front left.jpg
    nsx front left.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 736
  • nsx amp.jpg
    nsx amp.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 722
Autowave sounds like the place for you.

hey thanks guys. Ill check them out. as for Gerry Johnson... :lol I have tried for over 6 months! Like i said earlier, my best friend lives in Modesto, and hell im down at Thunderhill raceway three or four times a year. i would REALLY like to hear from him and have him do. but two phone call messages and three emails all unreturned did not sit well with me.

also, thanks to Larry in NY/NJ that gave me a call and gave me some great insight! :) thanks man!

just emailed autowave. i have to be in LA in 3 weeks with our transporter, who knows if prices and time are right, may have to put car in the transporter as well :)

give jon martin of southbay acura a call 310-539-3636

For 15k you can certainly do a BBSC set up well.. aftercooler, wideband, gauges, AEM... just my .02.. I love mine, I'm going to dyno her in about a month or so, but I'm thinking i've got 380-ish at the wheels at 8 lbs wtih aftercooler...

if you want CT then that's certainly a good option as well.

the sos is a possibility too, but I don't know anyone to ask about it yet.

EDR,
My car is currently at southbay acura; call 310-539-3636

Jon Martin is the service manager. I am currently getting the aem, injector, wideband, comptech blower, and tuned by the best in the field. Talk to Jon Martin, you would be surprise the info he has. Very, very courteous and customer relation is second to none.

Danny Lai

thanks sexyred. Ill give them a call tomorrow. been slammed lately. probably why i only put on 400 miles TOTAL so far in 2005 :( i also got a call from shane(?) at autowave, so need to call them as well. Im pretty set on doing a turbo if i can, i only want like 350rwhp, so should be easy. if not, ill do the c/t kit with inj/pump/aem

Turbo is in the process for all year NSX's. 3 stages of power, 350hp, 380hp and 400+hp. Stage one & Stage 2 will be less $$ than CTSC.

Stay tuned for more info.

2NRWerks.com said:
Turbo is in the process for all year NSX's. 3 stages of power, 350hp, 380hp and 400+hp. Stage one & Stage 2 will be less $$ than CTSC.

DONT TEASE US! :biggrin:

2NRWerks.com said:

Sounds delicious.

talked with jon martin last night. great guy, being in a very closely similar field makes discussion, etc much easier for both of us. I am planning on taking car to him in dec if our transporter to willow springs is not too full. and letting him have for a month or two. should be good. we are gonna try and get a good solid 360-380rwhp. Im very excited, in fact spent 5 hours late last night, detailing (again) and put on 4 more coats of wax. i LOVE the meguirs NXT STP wax. WAYYY better than my Zanio bros stuff i have, IMO

thanks again guys, really appriciate all help and advice!

Told you so ;) good talking with you buddy....

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
DONT TEASE US! :biggrin:

No teasing. This is underway at the moment.

Here I will tease you a little:

Stage 1 (6psi) 350hp

GT28 turbo, internal wastegate
440 injectors
Tial BOV
Intercooler
Stock ECU with modified MAP and other goodies
Running stock exhaust and cats :wink:

Stage 2 (8psi) 380+hp

Same as above except with,
Walbro fuel pump
AEM EMS
AEM Wideband
Custom tuning

Under development is a diffuser to hide the plumbing and scoop up the air under the car into the intercooler.

Options available:
- Diffuser
- Headers
- External Wastegate
- Guages
- Injectors
- Walbro fuel pump

I'll be having my motor built up and fabricating my own turbo kit in Dec. I have my own dyno and one of my employees uses the AEM all the time. I was planning this for later, but my motor seems to have a possible head gasket problem so the sooner, the better.

Good luck with the project.

2NRWerks.com said:
Stage 1 (6psi) 350hp

GT28 turbo, internal wastegate
440 injectors
Tial BOV
Intercooler
Stock ECU with modified MAP and other goodies
Running stock exhaust and cats :wink:

Stage 2 (8psi) 380+hp

Same as above except with,
Walbro fuel pump
AEM EMS
AEM Wideband
Custom tuning

wow...stage 2 sounds good :)

hmmmmm :biggrin: stage 2
or hmmm :biggrin: ctsc
i got few dineros to spend also.... hmmmm
also,
i just saved a whole bunch of money by switching to geico.... not really

There seems to be ALOT of new turbo systems coming with the same goals and price points.

How about these options
6-7 PSI 350-380 hp
Same power curve as stock, high winding power with smooth TQ curve
Turbonetics 60-1
440 injectors
Tail BOV
Tail waste gate
Intercooler
Stock ECU with modified MAP and other goodies (think CTSC fueling simplicity)
Can run stock exhaust or headers (kind of hard to run cats Pre turbo)
Full exhaust system

8-10 PSI 380-450hp

same as above with a
Turbonetics t62-1 ball bearing turbo
550 injectors
Walbro fuel pump
AEM EMS

again these would be without cats as running a cat pre turbo is problematic, small parts of the cat break off and fly into the turbine at high rates of speed=BOOM !!!

Project goals will be to “copy” the existing power curve as to not change the original design goals of the car and engine, just MORE of a good thing.

some options would be top mount intercooler (think GJ) air to water cooling (not as great as people think for a street driven car)

Less that a CTSC…and group buy friendly :biggrin:

what i find funny, is how hard car guys must try to get hp. I mean, my AMA Supersport 600cc bikes (stock motor internals for the most part) i can with race gas get 125/126rwhp on race gas. That is OVER 210hp/liter at THE WHEELS. Sooo, a NSX say 3.0liter should be able to make 600RWHP fairly easily. I mean, i know, i know, different things, but still kinda funny how a kid can buy a CBR600RR for say $8,000 then spend about $5,000 with my shop and have 210RWHP/liter..... gotta love bikes. :) but i admit....after working on bikes all day long, running bikes up to 16,000rpm on the dyno all day long and breathing the ever so NOT freindly race gas we use, nothing like (on a sunny day) taking my work out in a nice jaunt with the nsx....windows done....stereo off....up and down skyline and the back roads.....2nd gear......8,000rpm......3rd...4th....back down..do it again. hmmmmmm. I cant wait to get 350+rwhp in it.

sjs, so are you just gonna stab at me and thats it?

of course i realize that. if i didnt know the formula then im sure i would not have over 70 class championships now would i?

While im on bashing cars. someone should swing by a local shop. bring your brand new nsx cylinder head in and compare it to say a 05 KawZX6RR cylinder head. you will ASSHAMED at the cars design and casting flaws, etc.

My whole point was that im not just some guy wanting...no demanding i get 500 rwhp in my acura and demand 100% reliability like so many ppl do.

Sure, the new R6 rev to 17,500 now for 2006. but peak hp is still at 13,000. So....13k 126rwhp so while im looking at the dyno chart, at say 8000rpm this bike is making 104 rwhp. So, that means at 8000rpm it makes 173hp/liter NA. Now most nsx i have seen with mild mods (h/i/e/geargs/) make about 255 rwhp at 8000rpm. so safe to say making about 85hp/liter.....so all im asking is what if we just short shifted the R6 at 8000rpm. why is it still making at same RPM peak a little more than DOUBLE the hp?

sjs, does this make sense? ALL im trying to say is that car guys outta take a closer look at the motorcycle's guys motors and see what they are doing to get sooo much ppower out of soo little....and even more when you add tons of rpm. thats all. sorry i pee'd in your cheerios.

as for welll they are tiny, they can rev that high?? sure, twist the rpm up enough and find a way to keep the tq up,and hp will follow. but i still know of some VERY built 1000cc GSXR1000 NA (ok, but they are not 1l , more like 1.2l) pushing over 215 rwhp, and they turn 13,000rpm. So we cant get a HAND made limited production manuf. baby project 3.0liter motor to make even 400rwhp NA and while im at it. why on gods earth cant a small v6 like a 3l turn more than 7,900 rpm? I know plenty of M3 inline 6cyl and BIGGER in cc than the nsx and yet they are twisting 9,000 out of them. my own personal sc'd e46 m3 will pull 8,100 all day long if i wish, and it is an inline 6 cyl with 3.4l.

Obviously the car guys at honda are not getting that hp from somewhere. id blame conservativism, reliability, epa, quiter motors, etc etc. Honda (just like with their bikes) make AWESOME and FAST race bikes/nsx's but we all get accords, of some kind. too bad. all great for enviornment, coorperate image, and keeping production cost done, but not for hp. i think the quality of bike motors is so far ahead of car stuff it is silly, all i want to know is why?

Im not bashing nsx, i love mine. i was mearly trying to say it is funny how much technically advanced the motorcycle world is in some aspects of motors

sorry in advance if this is coming out wrong. just dont take personal stabs at my ability to talk hp. i think my rep. allows me to make such claims! If you "find something funny or fishy" just man up and ask. dont throw in a smily face at the end like we are buddies.

FOr those still wondering what it is. here ya go.

Torque x rpm
--------------- = HP

Back