• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

got my car tow away.......

how unfortunate i was that my car got towed away (lucky for me to see the operator pulled out and i was chasing the guy down the street, but still ended up paying the total of $90. i was parking where you're not allow to part if not one of their customers (during business hrs.). i went out too late (2:00am) and everywhere i looked, there were so many lots available b/c at this time i thought it would be ok to park there since all the business closed except the bar near by i was at. turned out i was dead wrong, the operator guy was there to monitor the place where i was not aware at all. what a mean guy without given a second thought it's nsx. i clearly understand i was parking illegally but hey it was after business hours when they have no use of the lots. i guess the tow companies have their guys to tow away as many cars as possible or whatever...has anyone out there got your nsx towed b/c parking on private parking (businesses allow to park only their clients) after closed?????????i did feel bad for the car a bit when it dropped from the dolly.

Last edited:
well towing companies are blood suckers. they loved to go out and tow everybody cuz they get paid for every single one of them. they don't care if you are standing next to the car if you are park on a wrong spot they'll tow it or call the cops.

during busy hours this is acceptable but after business hours this should not be happening. they love to go out on the residential area also where parking is limited.

what a mean guy without given a second thought it's nsx.

Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but what difference does it make on what kind of car it is? If the driver did know he was probably laughing and thinking whoever owns it is rich and can afford to pay impound fee.

my thoughts exactly. the crude fact is that sometimes people are happy to get these cars since they're rare and perhaps out of jealousy, etc....

the tow guy probably bragged about it the whole day....

that's why when i go out, i always pay to park in public garages rather than out on the street.

I hope your car was not scrathed or damaged in any way.

Sometimes if you HAVE TO park in a parking spot where the establishment only allows there own clients to park, I park and go inside the business for nothing more than just ask a question about a product or something depending on the establishment and may even make a small purchase. It is worthwhile sometimes, it as you found out.

This is also a good reason to have a second car or a beater. There are many places that I refuse to take my NSX.

-Jim

I own a towing business. We do not do private property tows or any tows that are not authorized by the owner of the vehicle unless the police call us to impound the vehicle and keep it at their lot. Too much abuse.

The towing of vehicles from private business's parking lot has been a big issue locally but has met with some resolution.
There must be signs that have to be of a certain size, height and distance from each other. The warning must state clearly the parking restriction, cost and payment method, name of towing company and, phone number to claim vehicle.
The point was to recognize both the vehicle owners AND property owners rights.
I know many of these towing operators and while I don't socialize with them I have never seen them sleep upside down or drink blood, target NSX's or any other car in particular.
Like any group of people there are some that are just plain mean or stupid but it is not the rule but the exception. The vast majority pay their bills being service oriented, are good dealing with the public and often provide emergency services that they never get paid for because the customer just wasn't expecting the need for the service and had no money. Sometimes they even save lives.

As for the subject of unauthorized tows, the tow operators can be the subject of verbal and sometimes physical abuse by people who are clearly arrogant and indifferent to the rights of others and are only been towed or booted because they want to save a few steps or not pay a parking fee.

The owners of business's near bars that let folks park in their lots are rewarded with, broken bottles, used condoms, trash, vomit, emptied ash trays and urine that the next morning their customers must tip toe through until they get out to clean it up.
(I hope you don't drink and drive your NSX)

Chances are there are towing regulations in your town too. If the standards required by the property owner have not been met you may have a right to restitution and should persue it.

I wouldn't think of parking my NSX or any of my vehicles where it may be towed and would be glad to walk the extra distance or pay the fee for legal, secure parking. I don't want to pay a tow operator either.

Brian2by2 said:
That's ridiculous! I can't believe that they are allowed to reserve spots for a particular business, even after it is closed. That just seems absolutely absurd!

I never heard of any business reserving spots on the street. Funeral homes will cone off the front on occasion but outside of that street parking is usually public and will have restrictions too!

On the other hand property/business owner should have control over what the land they OWN and other business/property owners should not expect their neighbors to lend their resources.
If you are in Poughkeepsie, you can park in my lot anytime.:) and I'll lend you some cones!

92NSX said:
Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but what difference does it make on what kind of car it is? If the driver did know he was probably laughing and thinking whoever owns it is rich and can afford to pay impound fee.

sorry i was not too clear myself. what i'm trying to say is the NSX is pretty low comparing to other cars. if he's looking to tow, i'm sure there will be others are around. i surely think it will be harder to tow than like SUVs....

Jimbo said:
This is also a good reason to have a second car or a beater. There are many places that I refuse to take my NSX.

-Jim

Ditto that 110%. There's a reason I don't drive the NSX much anymore.

Originally posted pbassjo

The owners of business's near bars that let folks park in their lots are rewarded with, broken bottles, used condoms, trash, vomit, emptied ash trays and urine that the next morning their customers must tip toe through until they get out to clean it up.
(I hope you don't drink and drive your NSX)

from where i live, the majority of the clients at the bar are students (PSU main campus) stuff like you've mentioned above rarely see around here. though, not all but most of them aware of what they doing....how much alcohol they comsumming

as for drink and drive, i don't drink. just was there to pick up my gf
but the bar was busy, she ended up stay a little longer so did i.

As a PSU alumni myself I had considered driving my NSX back for the arts festival this summer but I figured the risks of vandalism outweighed the fun of the drive. The areas around the bars get pretty crazy.

Lots of tows too, you can sit on Beaver ave and watch the cars being towed all day and night. For a tow truck driver, it's a "taget rich environment"

too much hassle. NSX stayed home.

Re: I hope your car was not scrathed or damaged in any way.

went home inspected for any scratches....found out four lug nuts were loosing, just the other one is bolted on tightly. luckily, i got home safely. i think the tow guy may have distracted whoever was trying to.....steal the wheel (stock wheels??), put myself in danger or whatever?????just put the wheel lock on for safety reasons

Vincent - what is your point?

You admit to parking in the wrong place, whine about getting towed and ask for sympathy?

FORGET IT !!!!

AndyVecsey said:
Vincent - what is your point?

You admit to parking in the wrong place, whine about getting towed and ask for sympathy?

FORGET IT !!!!

i'm not asking for any sympathy or whine about anything. i just think it's stupid tow people cars after business hours???i owned a business and i do not care who parks on my lot after i'm closing. waste of times calling towing companies...helps them making money, am i benefit from it? no.

Thomas Jefferson' Quote

i just think it's stupid tow people cars after business hours???

A famous line by TJ was "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Something that is not well understood by the public.....unless there are time constraints clearly printed on a traffic sign, it is in force 24/7. Not 8-5, not 12-2 not in the AM, not in the PM but all off the time. For example, you don't see stop signs with a time expiration, do you? Same goes for no parking signs, regardless if the business is closed.

So in this case, you did not know (or perhaps you did know, but chose to ignore it) that no parking laws apply around the clock, unless there is a time period printed on the sign. But what TJ's quote means is that not knowing a law does not absolve you of being towed or ticketed in accordance with that law.

Happy parking. :p

When people park at my shop, I get upset but not upset enough to actually TOW them. As a business owner myself, I tend to park at certain spots after hours when businesses are closed.

For instance, in Westwood parking can get rather tight.. so I sometimes park my car in the back of closed business after hours. However, I leave my cell phone number on a piece of paper on my dash so that the owner can atleast contact me should he want my car moved.

The safest way to play it is to NOT park in a spot unless its okay to park there. But, if you want to take your chances I havent had any problems leaving my number on the dash. I am sure a business owner would rather call you and yell at you to move your car, rather than deal with calling a towing agency.

Re: Thomas Jefferson' Quote

AndyVecsey said:
While this line is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), it pre-dates him by at least a century, and maybe more. For example, John Selden (1584-1654), the English jurist, said, "Ignorance of the law excuses no man: Not that all men know the law, but because 'tis an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to refute him."

Thomas Jefferson originated many memorable quotations, but this doesn't happen to be one of them.

Re: Thomas Jefferson' Quote

AndyVecsey said:
i just think it's stupid tow people cars after business hours???

Something that is not well understood by the public.....unless there are time constraints clearly printed on a traffic sign, it is in force 24/7. Not 8-5, not 12-2 not in the AM, not in the PM but all off the time. For example, you don't see stop signs with a time expiration, do you? Same goes for no parking signs, regardless if the business is closed.

So in this case, you did not know (or perhaps you did know, but chose to ignore it) that no parking laws apply around the clock, unless there is a time period printed on the sign. But what TJ's quote means is that not knowing a law does not absolve you of being towed or ticketed in accordance with that law.

Happy parking. :p

There are a some examples of how different laws change according to the time of day such as parking meters, it IS legal to park at them after business hours without putting change in them. Alot of stop lights in my area change to flashing yellow or red after midnight. I've even seen streets in DC that change from one way to two way after a certain hour. To me they are common sense laws that have been implemented.

Perhaps Vincent thought that since the business was closed, common sense would prevaile and he wouldn't get towed. No reason to slam him. I'm assuming the business owner guards the lot closely because he is so close to a bar.

Re: Re: Thomas Jefferson' Quote

hlweyl said:
Perhaps Vincent thought that since the business was closed, common sense would prevaile and he wouldn't get towed. No reason to slam him. I'm assuming the business owner guards the lot closely because he is so close to a bar.

Lack of sympathy or "forget it !" is hardly a slam.

i actually had another car of mine towed...when i called to get it back they told me that my driver's side window was broken and they had to fix it....i was furious when they told me why it broke....they said the tow driver was new and didn't know how to unlock the door...therefore....shattered the window to get in....what is that??....is that right??...

Back