• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got The Big Thumps Down

Originally posted by Zuerst:
Get the Airforce to pay for your college tuition, get a degree, nice (job), money, cars, and dreams...
biggrin.gif

Sort of....I actually footed my own bill through college, and I STILL owe on student loans.

It's a great job, though, and it is something I've wanted to do all my life. No regrets at all, except maybe one. My job doesn't pay what I wish it would, and it's frustrating to know I'll have to sell the shirt off of my back to get any toys that don't have "US Government" stamped on the side of it. I make a hell of a lot more money as an officer than enlisted guys do, though, so I can't really complain there.

I could have taken a job that pays a lot more (airline pilot) but my heart is in flying fighters and not being a "bus driver in the sky."

Chuck

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
......Maybe someone can arrange to get you a drive sometime in your area. Personally, they don't pay you guys enough for what you do and the sacrifice you take. I hope you are able to get an NSX asap. Thanks for what you do, and may you guys turn Iraq into a giant Jiffy Lube. God Bless.

Actually, there's a local dealer here in Albuquerque who has a yellow '97 for sale and is getting in a '95 soon. He's priced both of them out of my range, but I'll probably be bugging him fairly often until he sells them.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm one of the more fortunate in the military, because I get to do what I want. There's a lot of men and women in the military who have pretty crappy jobs and don't get paid near as much as I do. How some of them walk in to work every day with a smile on their face is beyond me, but they do.

"....may you guys turn Iraq into a giant Jiffy Lube."

Lol!

Chuck

Originally posted by David Allen:
Hey Viper - take me out for a spin, and I'll let you drive my car for a day
smile.gif

Boy, do I ever wish I could make that happen!
smile.gif

Read between the lines, excuse the pun.
Look what you're driving. An NSX is an ego challenge to most drivers. It's low, sleek line and rarity sparks bizarre ego and testosterone depletion in most insecure fantasizer. When I'm on the hiway, I get
headlight flash by Camaros, Mustangs, and all sorts of muscle crazies. It bothered me for a time, but now I relish in their ignorance and sliding testoterone level. When they tailgate and flash, I simply change lanes and let these lower on the automobile food chain vehicles go by. I know what I'm driving and I'm certain they know what they're sitting in. No contest! I rest my case.
As for the thumbs down foreign car syndrome, ask yourself why is Honda the best selling car in the US? You be the adult. While their thumbs are down along with their ego and other lesser protrusions, enjoy their angst.
Larry T.

Originally posted by NSX&RX7:
Read between the lines, excuse the pun.
Look what you're driving. An NSX is an ego challenge to most drivers. It's low, sleek line and rarity sparks bizarre ego and testosterone depletion in most insecure fantasizer. When I'm on the hiway, I get
headlight flash by Camaros, Mustangs, and all sorts of muscle crazies. It bothered me for a time, but now I relish in their ignorance and sliding testoterone level. When they tailgate and flash, I simply change lanes and let these lower on the automobile food chain vehicles go by. I know what I'm driving and I'm certain they know what they're sitting in. No contest! I rest my case.
As for the thumbs down foreign car syndrome, ask yourself why is Honda the best selling car in the US? You be the adult. While their thumbs are down along with their ego and other lesser protrusions, enjoy their angst.
Larry T.

Well put, Larry!

Whew! I guess sarcasm doesn't come across very well on the forums......... as I was only kidding.... I'll try again....

I should've bought a Ferrari as they get much more respect on the road because they are so much better cars and everyone knows it. Those people who actually make a comment or give a hand signal on the road are obviously the real 'car guys' and know what they are talking about. So, if they give the NSX a thumbs down, I'm sure they have a real good reason. And when that Ferrari comes along and one of those 'car guys' is there to spot it, I want to be the one in the driver's seat. Any more clear?

Yeah, There angry because all they can afford
are those junky camaros and mustangs. I had 2
99's last year. A 99 GT Convertable and when that wasnt enough, I sold it 3 months later
and bought the cobra convertable. A week later I bought the magazine that had the acura NSX writeup and info on NSXPRIME.
Two weeks from now I will have my 1st NSX,
Dan

That's a first.

Don't get me wrong, I have received the thumbs UP many times, but not the thumbs down.

I also sense the "not look at the car" idea as well.

I don't need to keep up with the Jone's.

I drive the car because it offers the most on four wheels (within a certain price range.)

That's a first.

Don't get me wrong, I have received the thumbs UP many times, but not the thumbs down.

I also sense the "not look at the car" idea as well.

I don't need to keep up with the Jone's.

I drive the car because it offers the most on four wheels (within a certain price range.)

hey, as one of those "bus drivers" all i can say is that SOMEBODY has to fly 767's to honolulu and lay around on the beach all day...

------------------
Kaye & Trish
1998 NSX-T #176
Red/Tan
No mods...
NSXCA #108

Originally posted by Number 6:
hey, as one of those "bus drivers" all i can say is that SOMEBODY has to fly 767's to honolulu and lay around on the beach all day...

Got no problem with the bus drivers either. Bought my 96 from Miles Morgan UAL 737 driver. He did a great job of taking care of it and was great to deal with as well.

NSXotic,
Don't worry, I didn't take offense. I do know how much of a pain it is to have some lame-o honking at you for slowing down due to things he cannot see. Usually this only happens if the person hasn't been driving behind me for a long time (I tend not to waste any time or space when I drive). The other thing about pick up trucks is (at least mine) that they tend to be faster than cars with similar engine specs (due to their light weight, I guess). And when people do cut around me after being rude, I just catch up to them and turn on the high beams for a little while.
I like to watch egos shatter as a 17-year old li'l truck out runs someone's brand new whatever.

Hey, it works both ways. I was in my M3 once, just minding my business, and a guy in a NSX came up and gave ME the thumbs down. WTF? I just laughed, gave him the finger and drove next to him. I think that pissed him off even more. I remember thinking, why are NSX owners such jerks? So I went out and bought one to find out. Heh. The kids around here dig it.

Well, I'll chime in here and say that I've gotten the thumbs down and have had obscenities yelled at me by other drivers, when all I'm doing is driving the speed limit and minding my own business. Those of you who know me, know that I'm pretty reserved in public and don't show-boat the NSX when I drive it...unless I'm with other NSXers, in which case we'll take turns blowing by each other with our windows open to listen to each others' exhausts. <grin>

Today, I am driving down University in the Fort Lauderdale area, and this VW Cabriolet with the top down and three young high school punks in it comes screaming on me from behind, then slam on the brakes to stay behind me, then pull out while on the gas to pass me on the left, all the while yelling "you suck" and other such nonsense at me. I just keep driving and mind my own business...while they keep up their antics. As they are not paying attention, they don't notice that a red light is coming up, and have to screech on the brakes to stop in time, and we are side by side at the light. They won't even look over at me now, because they are embarassed for being such idiots.

So...I lower my window all the way, look over at them until they turn over with "duh...we're moron's" looks on their faces and ask, "I might be mistaken, but isn't the VW Cabriolet a girl's car?" The light turns green and I drive off on my way...and they stay behind me all the way until I turn off at my destitation.

Was I being an *sshole? <grin>

-Andie

Cool...F16 Fighting Falcons...one of the most nimble dog-fighting planes around...not the fastest, nor does it carry the most fomidable armaments...but like the NSX, it's an overall excellent "package".

Eagle...you're thinking of the MCD F15.

If some rich billionaire can buy a trip in the Space Shuttle...how much does a joy ride in an F-16 cost for a civilian? :) Give me a price, and I'll start saving...

-Andie

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 25 May 2002).]

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
Cool...F16 Fighting Falcons...one of the most nimble dog-fighting planes around...not the fastest, nor does it carry the most fomidable armaments...but like the NSX, it's an overall excellent "package".

I hadn't thought of it, but you're right! I'm lusting after a car that is a street version of what I fly.....do you suppose I'm manifesting my desire to fly an F-16 in the car I want....or is it the opposite? Is there a shrink on this site who can help me?

Either way, what a dilemma!

If some rich billionaire can buy a trip in the Space Shuttle...how much does a joy ride in an F-16 cost for a civilian? :) Give me a price, and I'll start saving...

You could just give me your NSX and we'll talk....just joking.
smile.gif

Well, I'll stay off the soapbox as much as I can, but we give rides all of the time to "important" people and local celebrities who do little more than show their faces on TV. Personally, I think that if we give rides out to one facet of society, then we should give rides out to all facets of society. Unfortunately, the powers that be that make these decisions always look at getting positive press for flying a particular person. Every taxpayer deserves an equal chance to experience something their tax dollars pay for. O.K., I'm back off of the soapbox now.

If you really want a ride, it can be easy to do depending on who you are. I'm assuming that many of the members here are upstanding members of their community. If you're involved in local/national politics, community service, or the media (especially a TV station owner/manager/director) then it's a piece of cake. Find the nearest Air National Guard unit (hopefully it's a fighter unit with at least one two-seat jet) and contact their Public Affairs office. Or, get to know a couple of the pilots and they can pull a few strings. It's hard, but I've seen it happen before. It all depends on the Squadron. It won't cost you a penny if you go this route. Tradition states, however, that you buy the pilot a bottle of his/her favorite liquor afterwards.

Or, you could shell out some dough and go fly Migs in Russia. You'll get to do a lot over there that is hard for us to legally do here with a civilian on board, like go supersonic. However, in the case of the Mig-29, your flight will be a half-hour at best because of it's crappy fuel economy.

Chuck

Well my opinion is the following:
I used to make fun of NSX owners, especially the later models because
the car costs so much money, had dated styling, and was sort of slow
compared to its competition. So I would never give someone a thumbs
down over it but if one of my friends would get one, I would say it was
a mistake. I know a lot of people like their old styled ones better,
which is good because you should like what you have but the '02 model is
much more appealing the eyes of the world. I get thumbs up constantly,
people yelling nice car out of their windows, etc. and I have only had
the car for a month. Also the new version goes 0-60 in 4.6, which is
much more in line with what you would expect from a car in that price
range. Still I'd say anyone who gives you a thumbs down is just jealous
=)... I have gotten a thumbs down in the Ferrari and that is certainly
respected.

Originally posted by 02NSX:
I used to make fun of NSX owners, especially the later models because the car costs so much money, had dated styling, and was sort of slow compared to its competition.

It's the same car; just facelifted. It is still dated even with the facelift.

but the '02 model is much more appealing the eyes of the world

It is a personnel preference and many like the older (original) look better.

Also the new version goes 0-60 in 4.6, which is much more in line with what you would expect from a car in that price range.

It is the same 3.2 motor as the post 97. It just cost a bit more.

[This message has been edited by NSX4U2 (edited 26 May 2002).]

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
Originally posted by 02NSX:
I used to make fun of NSX owners, especially the later models because the car costs so much money, had dated styling, and was sort of slow compared to its competition.

It's the same car; just facelifted. It is still dated even with the facelift.

but the '02 model is much more appealing the eyes of the world

It is a personnel preference and many like the older (original) look better.

Also the new version goes 0-60 in 4.6, which is much more in line with what you would expect from a car in that price range.

It is the same 3.2 motor as the post 97. It just cost a bit more.

I see a few reactions from this.

[This message has been edited by NSX4U2 (edited 26 May 2002).]

Back