• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gotta love Germany...

Pegged the car on Christmas eve on the Autobahn, which was virtually deserted. Hit 172 mph by my speedometer in my '91, which is stock except for Koni's and a SS Dali exhaust.

These cars are a marvel.

dd:D

Ja wohl...!

Ahh, Deutschland!!! In the states, I guess I'll have to head to Montana for that... :p

[Indeed these cars are a marvel. I wish life was as perfect as the NSX.]

I would have thought TX was good for a little speed, too!

I'm sure there's some margin of error in the speedo, but still, to think a 13-year old car, stock, with 127k miles on it can still blast like that...

Wish I could afford a turbo! (-:

dd

Mark, yes, I agree, but it would be nice to feel that extra push against the small of your back... at that speed it was redlined and as fast as I care to go.

DonDavis said:
Mark, yes, I agree, but it would be nice to feel that extra push against the small of your back... at that speed it was redlined and as fast as I care to go.

if you're redlining at 172mph then there is something wrong with your tach.

a turbo or sc should give you a higher top speed.

MarkB said:
I think you would find that a turbo or a super charger for that matter would only get you to 172 faster not produce a higher speed.

That is not correct. All things equal, more power means a higher top speed for the NSX since it is drag limited in stock form.

xsn said:
That is not correct. All things equal, more power means a higher top speed for the NSX since it is drag limited in stock form.

But wouldn't the potential for a higher top speed in a turbo or supercharged NSX only be realized if the additional power were generated in the right rev range?

I've done 172mph in the NSX on several occasions (also in Germany) and at that speed then engine is only running at around 7000-7100 rpm (5-speed NSX). So it seems the car is indeed drag-limited which would suggest that more power will give you a higher top speed. I know of at least one person (with CTSC) who has done more than 185mph in his NSX.

Lazarus said:
But wouldn't the potential for a higher top speed in a turbo or supercharged NSX only be realized if the additional power were generated in the right rev range?
It would not matter. The added horsepower will be used to push against the drag so to achieve a higher terminal velocity.
Steve

With my 6speed cp. I'm also drag limited here on the autobahn - lots of rpms left to go faster...

MvM: I guess I know who you mean - also a NSXprime member, right?

BTW: How are you and your car some time after your special Spa experience (for the others: This Spa has nothing to do with wellness..)?

Last edited:
MvM said:
I've done 172mph in the NSX on several occasions (also in Germany) and at that speed then engine is only running at around 7000-7100 rpm (5-speed NSX). So it seems the car is indeed drag-limited which would suggest that more power will give you a higher top speed. I know of at least one person (with CTSC) who has done more than 185mph in his NSX.

Was that top speed indication based solely on the speedometer reading? I wonder if the car was using plus 1 or maybe plus 2 tires/wheels. Would the larger tire diameter have an impact on the speedometer reading?

[size=+1]You just have to rub it in, huh, DonDavis of Heidelberg Germany! The best I could do was 130mph with a Ford Focus on the autobahn 2 years ago.

I hate you.[/size] :p

Lazarus said:
Was that top speed indication based solely on the speedometer reading? I wonder if the car was using plus 1 or maybe plus 2 tires/wheels. Would the larger tire diameter have an impact on the speedometer reading?
Plus 1 or plus 2 wheels have larger diameter than stock. However, the tire's outer diameter on a plus 1 or plus 2 fitment can be larger or smaller than stock. Any difference, though, would indeed change the accuracy of the speedometer reading by the percentage difference from stock.

whiteNSXs said:
It would not matter. The added horsepower will be used to push against the drag so to achieve a higher terminal velocity.
Steve

I would go with Lazarus on this one. In an extreme example, if a SC added 100 HP at 5000 RPM but took away 100 HP at 7100 RPM, your top speed would be less than stock.

wilsonp said:
I would go with Lazarus on this one. In an extreme example, if a SC added 100 HP at 5000 RPM but took away 100 HP at 7100 RPM, your top speed would be less than stock.

Your example does not have any basis in reality.

Sure, IF there was a "backwards" supercharger that robbed you of power at higher RPM you would be right. But there is no such thing.

In reality every SC or turbo setup out there produces more HP in the 6000-7500 RPM range which is exactly where the car needs more power to reach a higher top speed. Thus the forced induction cars have a higher top speed than stock all other things being equal.

wilsonp said:
I am sorry and I really don't want to be rude. But what you just stated does not make any sense. I'll advice you to look at some power/torque graphs of various forced induction systems on Prime.
Steve

wilsonp said:
... a SC added 100 HP at 5000 RPM but took away 100 HP at 7100 RPM...
Name one SC or turbo being sold to NSXr's that comes even remotely close to doing that. If there were to be one, I can assure you it won't be flying off the shelf.

"Drag limited": the force generated by the engine to push the car forward is matched by the drag force pushing against the car. There is therefore no acceleration.

If you add power... you reach a higher speed.

This is opposed to "gearing limited" where the power is enough and you need longer gears to reach a higher speed.

Greetings
Eng. Gheba ;)

Gheba: Just a thought: Can it be that we could reach a higher top speed with a shorter last gear (5th or 6th)? I'm no engineer but I guess it would be best to have top speed at the rpm where the engine has maximum hp - wrong?

Yes, in a "drag limited" top speed car it can be possible that a different (shorter) gearing can generate a faster top speed.

I am not sure that the NSX would benefit but on a theroretical way it could.

Don't forget "driver limited"; when the car can go faster but the driver won't......
I had 270 kmh with three wheels in the passenger seat and the speed still increasing on my stock w/Remus exhaust. Then came the driver limiter in effect......

Back