• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ground cable under engine

This weekend I am going to rebuild my starter as the contact points are making it difficult to start the car. I have already cleaned the battery cable connections and changed the ignition switch. Does anyone have information as to the ground cable under the the engine? Can I use a simple aftermarket ground cable? If so, what size, length and end links? As long as I am there, I would like to change it as it is corroded and taking on the dreaded green color. Thanks. Jerry

The ground cable on the left side of the engine bay underneath the fuse box is connected to the metal hanger bolted to the top of the transmission (auto or manual) with the other end to the body, maybe a foot or so in length and quite thick, maybe 2-4 ga. Both ends have ring terminals for 10mm bolts to attach through, one end has a rubber cap presumably to protect it from the elements just like the ground cable on the battery.

The other ground is either from the corner of the front valve cover to a body point next to the coolant tank, or on the right side of the engine across from the alternator.

I think the P/N for the first is 32620SL0003 and the second is 32610SL0013 but could be wrong, the diagrams aren't very helpful. You can make your own cable but I'd try to keep the same gauge and length and make sure the terminals are crimped correctly.

I’m not sure if he’s still on this site, but Ben Schaeffer custom made those cables, which if I remember correctly were slightly longer for an easier fit than the oem ones. I purchased mine from him 5 years ago.

91 NSX Red​/Black

Ground cable

I installed a battery ground cable from Ben a few years ago. Nice workmanship. I will see if he can make an engine ground cable for me. Yesterday I replaced the starter. I have a spare starter I bought for $75. A local shop rebuilt it for me. I will rebuild the original starter and keep it as a spare. I thoroughly cleaned the grounds. I also noticed that the small connection on the starter that plugs into the solenoid was loose and dirty. I cleaned and crimped the connection and all is well with my starting system. Now on to replace the plastic button on the clutch petal that broke apart. Jerry

Back