• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GT-R is an ugly car (I hate to say it)

It was just a joke GEEZ!!

Yeah, I'm not a completely humorless Cretin, Saleen, and I definitely understood what you meant. I'm amazed at the difference and seeing them side by side can't help but side with Cozmo. A visual bloated slob next the the lithe little NSX.

Looks like the fat cheerleader in the squad

attachment.php

GTR basically filled in today's void left by the "Supdawg" aka- MKIV.

IN other words it was silly amounts of HP or potential for silly HP with a simple boost increase and not much thought put in the looks.

NSX and FD are the only 2 from Japan that delivers on a balance of performance and looks.

Agreed on the looks, weight, and expense of maintenance. All turn offs for me.

I do know that the Model year 2012 GT-R is going to be "AMAZING" at least that what we're being told. As for what's going to change, that is hush hush, but i'm being told that the dealers won't be able to sell the 2011 compared to the 2012. We'll see.

Just like Festivas on Seinfeld "it's all too real"!
IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2697-1.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

Here's the too bad asses someone wanted to see.:cool: Oh, that's Larry and Mike!
:biggrin:
IMG_2692-1.jpg

Last edited:
The NSX's still look way better than the nissans....

Can't look at the car while you drive it, and this car was meant to be driven not stared at while sitting in the garage under plastic wrap. It's big and heavy, just like most "sports cars" these days. The M series is not exactly light weight compared to the GTR. What new sports car is light weight that isn't a Lotus or the like? The 200k F340 is only roughly 500 lbs lighter than the GTR. The magnisium/carbon fiber/aluminum AM DB9 is within a couple hundred pounds of the GTR. The light weight days are more or less over. I'd love to pick up a GTR for 50k~ if it holds up well. It's not a piece of art like the italians or even the NSX, it's objective is a well designed machine at minimal cost, that it achieved.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Definitely not Photoshop chop. I was following that GTR one car behind on our way to pebble beach.

DSC03548.JPG

The front end and side profile already looks outdated. Give it another year and pick up a GTR for $50k and a Z for $8k.

First one is flat black and the other is factory paint

Last edited:
I was thinking it might mean this guy's dad below. Being that Domo Kun is from Japan and the GTR being referred to as Godzilla. Domo hatched from an egg. It's a clever plate on an ugly car. :tongue: Should peel that vinyl off...

domokun.jpg
Unfortunately for him, that was paint. I personally think he ruined this car and for what.:confused::confused::confused: I just don't get the look or the fact he took a 90k car and made it look like a hunk of junk. He should have stopped with the plate. Of coarse this is coming from someone who just spent 12-weeks painting his own car vs a paint job that probably took 2-days, at least that is what it looks like in person!

Last edited:
aridon99 said:
The Nissan GT-R rocks as far as technical achievements go. It's fast, handles very well, but it falls down badly in the looks department. A total mismatch by Nissan. I can't see myself buying a car with GT3 type performance, but Celica/Tiburon looks.

Looks are subjective, different strokes for different folks.

IMHO the GT-R looks nothing like a Celica nor Tiburon if you look at the entire car, just because it has front lights that look like the Celica and has a functional side vent should not detract from the car.

The car is not a 2 seater exotic like a Ferrari, Lambo or even the NSX it was never intended to be.

If you are knowledgeable about the GTR family and the predecessors to the R35, BNR32 BNR33 and BNR34 then you will see that there are styling cues based on those cars on the R35, the R35 is an evolution and not a brand new "model/family" for Nissan.

As far as performance goes it was targeted to have similar performance to the 997.1 Turbo and was not trageted towards a 997.1 GT3.

People buy and sell the cars all the time, maybe some of the folks who bought the GT-R did so because of the hype and they are deciding to sell them, some folks might be worried about the long term potential for transmission damage if you abuse the car with repeated launches who knows.

Unfortunately for him, that was paint. I personally think he ruined this car and for what.:confused::confused::confused: I just don't get the look or the fact he took a 90k car and made it look like a hunk of junk. He should have stopped with the plate. Of coarse this is coming from someone who just spent 12-weeks painting his own car vs a paint job that probably took 2-days, at least that is what it looks like in person!

Hmm.. I'm on NAGTROC and that particular car is a vinyl wrap, only the wheels have been powdercoated.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32573&hl=vinyl++wrap

Comments by the owner after seeing the GT-R in the middle off the NSX caravan:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32587&st=40

TURBO2GO said:
Has anyone mentioned it is almost 1000 pounds heavier than an NSX? I am at 2950 right now with just a few weight reduction mods.

This car could have been AMAZING had some bean counter or marketing manager not ruined it.

IMHO the car that they are selling looks much better than the prototype, the paintjob around the headlights made no sense on the prototype.

As far at the weight goes, it is a modern AWD sports car that seats 4. Look at EVO's or STI's from Japan, or the RS4/S4 from Audi comparable weights for much smaller cars. You can't expect Nissan to deviate too much away from the original GT-R formula, otherwise it would not be named a GT-R.

As far as the handling and the performance of the car in stock form, the car does a pretty good job for what it was intended for.

Before driving the GT-R I also used to think that the GT-R might be boring/numb to drive being AWD and 3800lbs and being pretty wide and long in it's body, but after 5 months of ownership I can say that the car delivers on it's premise.

Pretty happy with the performance out of the box, have not taken the car to the track yet, but have been on track with other GT-R's so plenty aware of the capabilities of the car.

If the car was 300-400lbs lighter that would be ideal, but the car is what it is, so it's not a bad execution by Nissan, props to them for actually delivering on their promise.

BATMAN's said:
GTR basically filled in today's void left by the "Supdawg" aka- MKIV.

IN other words it was silly amounts of HP or potential for silly HP with a simple boost increase and not much thought put in the looks.

NSX and FD are the only 2 from Japan that delivers on a balance of performance and looks.

IMHO: The R35 GT-R just fills the void that the Skyline BNR34 GT-R left, we are just fortunate that Nissan decided to market the car globally.

Mazda had a a good thing going on with the FC and the FD RX-7's, perhaps they will come back again with a next gen RX-7 at some point.

Had a chance to read an article that interviewed the engineers/designers that were involved in the R32 (Naganori Ito) and the FD (Takaharu Kobayakawa) a very interesting read.

Batman,

They'll never produce it like that and if they did it will fail like the Rx-8.

As a former FD owner I wish they would come out with something close but it's not going to happen. The Rx died after the FD.

I know JustPut as well. It's an old bunch of folks from 350z.com who set it up who I'm familiar with. Funny you found the pics there.

If they slap a 20B in it maybe it will contend but it's not going to happen.

I would love to have a car that performs like the GT-R. Marvelous achievements from the Nissan engineers. I don't think I will ever get over that look though.
Steve

I test drove another GT-R last weekend. Amazing car, but stock was not dramatically quicker than chipped 335i, just maybe barely a bit quicker than my previous SCed NSX from a dead stop. From a roll about the same.

Even though I like the GT-R a lot, I can definitely see myself getting tired of looking at it in about two weeks if I own one. E92 M3 on the other hand I would never get tired of look at it. Overall fun factor E92 M3 might have the edge. For a new car at that price range, I think M3 or Z06 are clear winner.

The stock GT-R or even C6 Z06 is about as quick as a 400rwhp NSX. On lighter cars like NSX, it doesn't need a lot of power to achieve hyper car performance.

Last edited:
I test drove another GT-R last weekend. Amazing car, but stock was not dramatically quicker than chipped 335i, just maybe barely a bit quicker than my previous SCed NSX from a dead stop. From a roll about the same.

I bought a 2010 GT-R two months ago. All I did was add a custom Cobb AP tune and I run 10.9 @ 127mph at PBIR in Jupiter repeatedly.

If you add a full exhaust the car will run low 10's all day long at 134+mph.

I've owned four NSX's and still have an FD RX7 with 30k miles on it.

The GT-R is in my top (fav) 5 cars owned..... and I've owned many cars. ;)

When it comes to the GTR, yes the design, as far as the lines and headlights ect, isnt very good. BUT, its very striking when it comes down the road and gets a ton of attention. Thats why i like it. As time goes on cars grow on me. They look better in real life than in pictures. Id take its crazy robot looks anyday over some stale looking BMW or vette. When i was in college somone who knew nothing about cars said theres a badass car in the lot and low and behold it was a black GTR, the car makes people smile so in the end id like to own one and i do like seeing them on the road.

Anywy, here is a picture i took myself which shows the difference between a Diablo VT and the Nissan GTR.
dsc00405u.jpg

Last edited:
Back