• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GT-R is an ugly car (I hate to say it)

I rather roll in a Z06 than a GTR.

I've owned 2 C6 Corvettes. They are great cars. I considered a Z06 before I bought the GT-R. I found an 08 with 15k miles for $42,000. They have horrible resale value.

The Z06 is starting to look dated to me though... To make them fast you have to make them loud and stinky. They are also two wheel drive and it's near imposable to put all that power to the ground in 1st or 2nd.

I'm sick of high HP rear wheel drive cars. All wheel drive is where it's at. My GT-R will rip your face off in 1st and 2nd on the street. I can take 90 degree turns and just hammer it half way through and the car will just stick like glue.

I can't think of any car I would rather have hold a 458 and R8 V10 over the GT-R.

P.S.

BATMANs - Have you owned a C6 corvette or a GT-R? Have you driven a Z06 or GT-R? If not, maybe you should keep your 2 cents to yourself.

I've owned 2 C6 Corvettes. They are great cars. I considered a Z06 before I bought the GT-R. I found an 08 with 15k miles for $42,000. They have horrible resale value.

The Z06 is starting to look dated to me though... To make them fast you have to make them loud and stinky. They are also two wheel drive and it's near imposable to put all that power to the ground in 1st or 2nd.

I'm sick of high HP rear wheel drive cars. All wheel drive is where it's at. My GT-R will rip your face off in 1st and 2nd on the street. I can take 90 degree turns and just hammer it half way through and the car will just stick like glue.

I can't think of any car I would rather have hold a 458 and R8 V10 over the GT-R.

P.S.

BATMANs - Have you owned a C6 corvette or a GT-R? Have you driven a Z06 or GT-R? If not, maybe you should keep your 2 cents to yourself.

If ur sick of high HP RWD cars then doesn't the 458 fit that description?

Other cars I would take the GTR over:

CGT
Koeneggsegg
SL Black

Perhaps u should ask why I would rather own the Z06.

From a looks and economy to modify perspective is where I'm coming from.

Keep ur 2 cents and here's mines.........

Last edited:
...I rather roll in a Z06 than a GTR.

I'd have to say, I agree.

And yes......I've driven both a C6 Z06 and a GT-R (and plenty of other cars that I'd rather roll than a GT-R). The GT-R just doesn't do it for me, personally.

If cars were food, the Z06 (for ME) would be celery. The Viper would be a big juicy western burger, the NSX would be buttermilk pancakes, a Ferrari would be Pizza. Z06 is just dead to me as far as interest goes...more power to you if thats not the case with you but, ive never seen anyone jump out of their seat when they saw a vette go by. And dont say thats not important, no less importanat than mindless HP numbers or 1/4 times.

Last edited:
I dont see what attacts you guys to the Z06...just does nothing at all for me. Parked next to one at work didnt give it a second look. I cant imagine paying $50k for a car that is that dead to me...i want to pay $ for a car that makes your heart race whether your flooring it or not. The looks of the car the massive production and interior...blah. Just does nothing at all...but, if for some reason that gets your pulse going then more power to you.

LOOKS:

Low and wide (save $$$ since there is no need to worry about wide-body kits)
Flared out fenders does wonders to the C6 lines (which looks to angular). The Z06/ZR1 have a muscular look.

I like the front bumper and hood lines especially. Better looking than the stock NSX and GTR.

PERFORMANCE:

bang for the buck thanks to the 7 liter displacement and large LSx aftermarket solutions.

NSX and GTR are much more limited.

MATERIALS:

carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, titanium are used

TECHNOLOGY:

yes, the engine is a push rod, but it gets good MPGs considering the power and displacement. I remember talking to a few of my engineering friends from NASA/Lockheed and hearing that sometimes the best engineering is simplicity. IMHO, I prefer the end result or HP goals with less clutter (Turbos, blowers, etc.). I love the HUD (G-meter, MPG, etc.)

WEIGHT:

Z06 did what the RX7 (FD) did - go back to basics in reducing weight for performance. I like that.

Anywy, here is a picture i took myself which shows the difference between a Diablo VT and the Nissan GTR.
dsc00405u.jpg

^^I think the GTR is a good looking car.......until something else parks next to it.

GT-R can use some help on looks compared to NSX. I don't think its a fair comparison. It has a great history just like NSX. It does have a distinctive look and for some r32/33/34 are better.

I can't remember exactly when skyline comes to life but when it does...its alive! and if you in it then you know what I mean? If you have not seen it alive then you may want to try and I bet it makes a change in your opinion.

If it looked anything like NSX then it would have been really nice (and I would have been !@#$%^&*) though the idea is to be a 4Dr unlike NSX.

One day I *will* own a GT-R and will be as proud as I am with NSX.

Last edited:
LOOKS:

Low and wide (save $$$ since there is no need to worry about wide-body kits)
Flared out fenders does wonders to the C6 lines (which looks to angular). The Z06/ZR1 have a muscular look.

I like the front bumper and hood lines especially. Better looking than the stock NSX and GTR.

PERFORMANCE:

bang for the buck thanks to the 7 liter displacement and large LSx aftermarket solutions.

MATERIALS:

carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, titanium are used

TECHNOLOGY:

yes, the engine is a push rod, but it gets good MPGs considering the power and displacement. I remember talking to a few of my engineering friends from NASA/Lockheed and hearing that sometimes the best engineering is simplicity. IMHO, I prefer the end result or HP goals with less clutter (Turbos, blowers, etc.). I love the HUD (G-meter, MPG, etc.)

WEIGHT:

Z06 did what the RX7 (FD) did - go back to basics in reducing weight for performance. I like that.

If GM can get some of the folks who design the CTS interiors to work on the Corvette program they might get a car that looks and is functional on the inside as good as it is on the outside. The CTS-V wagon that I saw on Saturday looked like an uberwagon with a decent interior.

Seeing the ZR1 and the C6Z06 side by side during the San Jose Autoshow this weekend it was pretty clear that the C6Z06 looks amazing from the outside better than the ZR1 that is full of the blig/chrome look.

On the latest C&D lightning Lap the C6Z06 with all the carbon bits and the ZR1 style suspension was quite fast at VIR, pretty impressive for a car that costs under 100K and wearing street tires.

.....Seeing the ZR1 and the C6Z06 side by side during the San Jose Autoshow this weekend it was pretty clear that the C6Z06 looks amazing from the outside better than the ZR1 that is full of the blig/chrome look......

Did you see the black NSX at the south end?

GT-Rs are about to dip into the 8s in the 1/4 mile full weight. They are NOT limited by any means.

I recorded a 0-60 run of 2.89 seconds and a 60-130 run of 6.5 seconds with ONLY a tune in my car. Now that's bang for the buck! It cost me less than 1k for the tune.

I think most GT-R haters are people that can't afford the car. That's fine by me.

GT-Rs are about to dip into the 8s in the 1/4 mile full weight. They are NOT limited by any means.

I recorded a 0-60 run of 2.89 seconds and a 60-130 run of 6.5 seconds with ONLY a tune in my car. Now that's bang for the buck! It cost me less than 1k for the tune.

I think most GT-R haters are people that can't afford the car. That's fine by me.

If your referring to the SP Engineering GTR then you should disclose that the engine, tranny has been opened up and worked. Not to mention the turbos were replaced and there was some other goodies. Way more expensive then a LSx platform like the Z06. http://www.newtechperformance.com/media.html tuned my GTO and the owner has a 8 sec C6 Z06 making 850~RWHP with a huge Procharger, upgraded injectors and a meth injection kit. Much more bang for the buck than a 9 second GTR.

GTR haters not being able to afford the car? I guess a tricked out NSX wiht a SOS SC and supporting mods must be that much cheaper than a GTR.

GTR and the Z06 are in the same price point. Demographics may be identical. Psycho-graphics, probably not.

rollinglaugh.gif
rofl.gif

That's tantamount to saying that people that make their living on the penis of America, Floriduh do it via fraudulent actions.

then again 60 minutes may actually have a point:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/15/60minutes/main688458.shtml

Last edited:
While it is no surprise that the majority of NSX owners find the GTRs looks unappealing, You have to find its beauty in its performance, not its aesthetics.

A car that beats the 911 turbo in performance, for half the price. A car that vastly outperforms its HP level, price level, country of origin, and branding level around a track.

To call the GTR a pig is a bit of a stretch. That is how much new cars weigh. It weighs identical to a M3, R8, SLS, and so on. This isn't 1991 anymore. I agree that it isn't a sleek looking car, that isn't the point.

I think some people look for reasons to dislike the car because they get annoyed with the internet attention and fanboys that the car attracts.

I've never met anyone in real life that has driven a GTR and didn't enjoy it. The car is a technical marvel and a wonderful driving experience. It is pretty much the exact opposite of my Viper.

A lot of people complain it numbs and dilutes the driving experience and that is why they don't prefer it. Which is fine. But don't insult a car just because you prefer to do things the hard (and slower) way.

While it is no surprise that the majority of NSX owners find the blown GTOs looks unappealing, You have to find its beauty in its performance, not its aesthetics.

A car that beats the 911 turbo in performance, for half the price. A car that vastly outperforms its HP level, price level, country of origin, and branding level around a track.

To call the GTO a pig is a bit of a stretch. That is how much new cars weigh. It weighs identical to a M3, R8, SLS, and so on. This isn't 1991 anymore. I agree that it isn't a sleek looking car, that isn't the point.

I think some people look for reasons to dislike the car because they get annoyed with the internet attention and fanboys that the car attracts.

I've never met anyone in real life that has driven a GTO and didn't enjoy it. The car is a technical marvel and a wonderful driving experience. It is pretty much the exact opposite of my Viper.

A lot of people complain it numbs and dilutes the driving experience and that is why they don't prefer it. Which is fine. But don't insult a car just because you prefer to do things the hard (and slower) way.

Agreed.

@BATMAN , Speaking of your love of the Ferrari FXX....check out this video i took..naturally aspirated 800 HP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8AT855UZBI&feature=player_embedded

I like how they break in the engine.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJ1o6njSYNk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJ1o6njSYNk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

GTO=POS

*runs out of thread

More leg room than the GTR in the front and rear. And seating is mucho comfy.

Both are nothing like the FD and NSX in lean and low.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong....the GT-R is a technological marvel and has spectacular performance. However, aesthetically it is not my cup of tea. Neither is the Viper. I do have the utmost respect for the vehicles as far as performance vehicles go, but their lines are just not what would draw me into the dealership when I'm looking to purchase.

I did enjoy the few miles behind the wheel of the GT-R, but when it comes to purchasing a vehicle I want MY entire package. That mean performance and aesthetics that appeal to ME. The level of performance I can live with, other might need scads more. We all know looks are subjective, so obviously what appeals to me won't appeal to everyone else.

Somewhere it said in the thread that you can't see the vehicle when you are driving it....that is true, but that doesn't apply when you are buying toys. When buying a vehicle for the sheer utility of it, like say a minivan because you have three children, that might ring true. However, when you buy a toy, even if it is mainly for the performance, you're still going to want it to appeal to you when it is sitting in your garage.

I do find it ridiculous that someone would say that they think the reason people don't like a car is because they "are people that can't afford the car." Just a ridiculous thing to even think, let alone say.

Anyway....I guess I've given $0.04 now.....I'm running out of pocket change.

.......I do find it ridiculous that someone would say that they think the reason people don't like a car is because they "are people that can't afford the car." Just a ridiculous thing to even think, let alone say.

Anyway....I guess I've given $0.04 now.....I'm running out of pocket change.

U'll have to excuse that ex-NSX owner for being a resident of Floriduh, the state with a wide-winning reputation for money scams......

Back