• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

If you have to have the extra seats then I would probably do a 2 door sports car like a GTR over an alleged 4 door sports sedan. That does change the game-

^I never heard of anyone use "froggy" to describe an R8 but I do see what you mean.

In that case, the GTR is too whaley for me.

R8 side profile is froggy.

GTR is definitely a Baluga Baby.

911 is a toad.

Only the NSX is beautiful.

911 is a toad.

Only the NSX is beautiful.

I'm going to add to your list :tongue:

911 is a toad.
Lotus Elise is a midget wasp.
SRT Viper is an angry whale penis.
Pagani Huayra is a catfish.
370z is a fat shark.
S2000 anorexic cheese wedge.
NSX is beautiful

LOL!

Baluga! Love it

Since we're on the subject of appearance, I drove my GTR, 911 and NSX today, the NSX gets the most looks, the GTR gets the most thumbs ups, and the 911 is completely ignored.

Don

The standard R8 looks a bit "tame" and weak compared to the v10 version but of course looks are always subjective just like I don't agree with you below.

I don't like it. Like all luxury cars, it'll look like crap and the value will drop significantly once its replacement comes out.

Kinda harsh to group it that way but the GTS is not a luxury car like the 7-series. It's the GT3 version of a true 4-seater performance car. Looks are always subjective.

As for value dropping that's fine for me since I prefer to buy low mileage pre-owned cars and this is the best usage for money if you want special cars like this. Losing value is ok as long as the quality is there. The only time I see this being a problem is for models like the Maserati that lose 50% value because the auto tranny is junk, that is no good of course.

FYI I saw a GTS with MSRP of $127k, used 700 miles and dealer is asking $112k, if that isn't a good deal I don't know what is :)

I have 2 small children and the gtr pushes alot of my buttons as a dd,but because I also haul stuff and I'm using a marshmallow landcruiser as a dd and drive the wheels off of that...I keep coming back to the jeep srt8.

If I was looking at a DD that needed a proper backseat, an E63 AMG and a Panamera GTS (or possibly Turbo) would be on my VERY short list. I'm still undecided on the new M5s...

If I was looking at a DD that needed a proper backseat, an E63 AMG and a Panamera GTS (or possibly Turbo) would be on my VERY short list. I'm still undecided on the new M5s...

+1 on all your choices! :)

Just saw the M5 last night - not impressed at all with the looks. Same hood and fenders as the regular 5-series. It's too boring for me - I know performance is awesome and on par with the GTR for around $100k. Only the Turbo S can beat it and only barely but at $180k it's way too expensive.

OK, I finally got some seat time in a 2013 black edition yesterday. My thoughts:

Drive line is very noisy.
Feels HUGE
Handles very well
Does not feel exotic at all
Amenities are very nice although disconnects you from the car.
Does not garner the " stop and stare" that most 100k cars would give you.

I got back in my 190k mile boosted nsx and felt better.

Cool car but not for me I guess. I do see the draw to them though. Power, comfort, AWD, etc. If I had to have a 4 seater AWD car I would love to have one of these cars.

Personally I would go with the E550. The Panny IMHO is ugly! The Audi A7/S7 is way better looking. I have a close friend who is the chief service adviser for MB dealership. A E63 came in with engine issues the other day(don't know details). It needed a new motor.:eek: Cost from Factory - $90K:eek::eek::eek: E550 V8 motor - $19K! The E550 is plenty quick for a family sedan.

Personally I would go with the E550. The Panny IMHO is ugly! The Audi A7/S7 is way better looking. I have a close friend who is the chief service adviser for MB dealership. A E63 came in with engine issues the other day(don't know details). It needed a new motor.:eek: Cost from Factory - $90K:eek::eek::eek: E550 V8 motor - $19K! The E550 is plenty quick for a family sedan.

How can the motor cost $90k when the msrp is $89.800?

I'm debating a R35 vs another NSX myself.

I have to admit, it's hard to throw stones at a R35 when the prospect of owning one dramatically increases. The rear seats, the performance, the awd and overall modernity of the package is really tempting.

However, then you get behind the wheel of an underpowered, obsolete NSX and all bets are off... :cool:

Patiently waiting on your review of Godzilla....

No.....As ridiculous as it sounds an E63 AMG motor that is built today(since they stopped building that particular block) costs $90K to build!!

My friend has his motor replaced about 3 weeks ago. Total bill was $64k (that includes labor). E63 AMG blown motor = major :frown:.

A E63 came in with engine issues the other day(don't know details). It needed a new motor.:eek: Cost from Factory - $90K:eek::eek::eek: E550 V8 motor - $19K! The E550 is plenty quick for a family sedan.

This is exactly why I got a 550 and not an amg car, with headers and exhaust it made another 50hp too and is plenty fast. Add in some weight reduction and it's power to weight ratio is the same as a clk63 black series, only 500 lbs lighter so with better handling while keeping the lower maintenance costs of the mass produced 5.5L motor. The AMG motors are hand made/assembled which must drive up the costs tremendously as well as the premium you have to pay for all AMG parts. The 550 cars with amg bodywork look like a sensible alternative.

That's why I love driving Marrcedes and driving a lease now ... I will never buy another one, again. I sold my 05c230 and preventative maintenance done ... The engine blew.

Well, I bit the bullet last friday and picked up a 2010 GTR. Orig owner, less than 20K kms, no stories, still a year of warranty, no launches, babied since day one. Owner gave me a set set of tires, brake pads, air filters and had the tranny fluid changed last week (he owns a Nissan dealership). For the price of what people were asking for a 2002+ NSX, I got myself anothr GTR (I have owned the R32 and R33 previously).

The car is an animal...in a way the NSX can never be. It easily made me forget the supercharged NSX that was such a big part of my car life for 7 years. I'm happy it does since I can not see myself getting into something that made me regret selling my NSX.

I may pick up another NSX in the future since they are near and dear to my heart, but right now this car completely fulfills all my needs and wishes.

Cheers!
John
150193_10151247219121224_1370037648_n.jpg

408664_10151247219221224_1023817200_n.jpg

Last edited:
did you sell the s2k cr ?

congrats btw, beast

SoCold: yup, CR is gone. Neat little car and tons of fun but I need a man's car ;)
Caustic: R34 is in the works. They are legal in Canada in 2014 but I want to hold out for a Nur, so 2016...

So every sunday I drive mine back to back.... and heres what I still think. The GTR is a performance monster... love the reliability/accuracy of the dual clutch trans and the monster motor!! I love the stability and grip of the AWD, it makes going fast easy and semi safe. Which is great maybe for track times.... but for me the NSX is still a joy to drive. Actually its a bit more exciting to drive. Because its a manual trans... for me there is something really enjoyable about shifting my own gears while driving. The noise my NSX makes also adds to the excitement, love NA motor noises, turbos tend to muffle the sound. Right now my GTR has a nice growl, but doesn't sing like the NSX. Im going to have to fix that in the GTR next year!

To me it doesnt feel big, it just doesnt feel as light and airy as the NSX because the NSX has amazing visibility. So if someone was to ask me which they should buy.... id ask them what is most important to them? All out speed, or pure driving enjoyment? IMO if your not concerned about lap times and you have a solid DD i'd buy the NSX.

Here is a side by side and the GTR isnt that much bigger... just a lil taller and wider. Im not sure if I posted this..... and in fact after checking the stats the R34 isnt that much smaller than a R35...

2009 GTR
Dimensions:
4655mm(183.2 in) L
1370mm(53.9 in) H
1895mm(74.6 in) W
Weight is 1740 kg /3836 lbs ( 1730 with titanium muffer - 3814 lbs)

'99 R34
Dimensions
Length4600 mm / 181.1 in
Height1360 mm / 53.5 in
Width1785 mm / 70.3 in
Weight1540 kg / 3395 lbs

oh noes 2.1in longer, .4in taller 4.3in wider

garagecleaning07.jpg

Last edited:
Back