• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Headers and Exhaust Opinion

Headers and Exhaust Opinion

• Use OEM headers and Exhaust

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Use after market exhaust and headers

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have bought CTSC KIT from a group buy and thanks to TURBO2GO. After talking to Shad at Driving Ambition, he recommended to mod the headers, Exhaust and Intake , otherwise the engine can be damaged if I drive it too hard (which I don't nor track ). I originally plan to use OEM headers and exhaust only. Now he makes me think twice.The question is .... 1) Stick with OEM headers and exhaust, already had aftermarket intake from Down force? 2) Using aftermarket headers and exhaust and if so, what is the best headers and exhaust that would pass CA smog check?

Thank you

Last edited:
You should probably specify which OEM headers your using? NA1, definitely "not" what I would do. NA2, you'll likely be fine with those.

From what I have heard there is NO ONE more knowledgeable about CTSC than Shad. I have never met him but I constantly see POSITIVE references to him when it comes to CTSC. Going to a brain surgeon and taking his advice regarding brain surgery is quite literally a "no brainer" :biggrin:

I would leave the na2 headers and go with a free flowing exhaust. (And I did)

From what I have heard there is NO ONE more knowledgeable about CTSC than Shad. I have never met him but I constantly see POSITIVE references to him when it comes to CTSC. Going to a brain surgeon and taking his advice regarding brain surgery is quite literally a "no brainer" :biggrin:

The original plan that I have is to not molest the car too much and want to keep it OEM as possible. But if I have to mod it, what is the best sound of exhaust.... been reading the heavy Taitec GLTC has the best sound, not too loud. Shad wants to put on Comp tech exhaust. Do you have any reference?

- - - Updated - - -

I would leave the na2 headers and go with a free flowing exhaust. (And I did)

Would it pass CA smog check?

Taitec gtlw is loud and drones. Comptech makes a nice noise, but you won't hear it much of the sc.

I don't live in ca

Sounds much better than Oem, just a little louder. Many people love it. I wanted something louder after getting the sc.

Taitec gt lightweight does not drone. (Not on my 1993, not on my 1997 and not in my 2005). I have personally used stock, comptech, tubi, arc titanium and three seperate taitec gt light weights. The taitec is how the car should have sounded stock. Just a tad louder in the low rpms and the more pleasant sound at the higher rpms.

Taitec gt lightweight does not drone. (Not on my 1993, not on my 1997 and not in my 2005). I have personally used stock, comptech, tubi, arc titanium and three seperate taitec gt light weights. The taitec is how the car should have sounded stock. Just a tad louder in the low rpms and the more pleasant sound at the higher rpms.

So Taitec has better sound than Comptech in person? Comptech sounds very quiet, but I have never heard it in person nor Taitec. Taitec sounds louder, but I don't to wake up the whole neighborhood either. I would Want more pleasant loud.

Last edited:
stock cats vs high flow vs no cats also makes a big difference in exhaust tone and volume.

header style also contributes significantly as well.

in my experience many of these exhaust will still "drone" but the annoying frequencies are shifted elsewhere in the rpm range.

- - - Updated - - -

imo a decent upgraded setup which preserves stocklike driveability and best bang for buck...

get the NA2 headers, stock cats, and go with any of the popular exhaust options. it keep plenty quite in general but will ne louder than stock.

exhausts are essentially wind instruments.If you have never heard a trumpet vs a clarinet vs a bass vs a tuba...then you are going to increase your chances of being disappointed buying an exhaust.I'm not sure how many variants comptech has of their exhaust,but back in the day there were subtle differences in tone between the rolled thicker tips and the thinner billet tips.The gtlw is more of a race car sounding exhaust whereas the comptech is more of a street car sport exhaust.

Comptech is a bit louder than OEM with a nice deep tone... very easy on the ears on the highway. Taitec is slightly lighter and higher pitched but definitely much louder. I've been in a car with it... to me, it drones. If you want to keep the car more OEM get the comptech.

exhausts are essentially wind instruments.If you have never heard a trumpet vs a clarinet vs a bass vs a tuba...then you are going to increase your chances of being disappointed buying an exhaust.I'm not sure how many variants comptech has of their exhaust,but back in the day there were subtle differences in tone between the rolled thicker tips and the thinner billet tips.The gtlw is more of a race car sounding exhaust whereas the comptech is more of a street car sport exhaust.

What do you have on your car?

- - - Updated - - -

Comptech is a bit louder than OEM with a nice deep tone... very easy on the ears on the highway. Taitec is slightly lighter and higher pitched but definitely much louder. I've been in a car with it... to me, it drones. If you want to keep the car more OEM get the comptech.

Would you say NA2 OEM yr 2000 headers be sufficient for CTSC without damaging the engine and it best bang for buck? And what exhaust do run on?

This is my very first engine modification ever on my car. I hope this would be it before it will become a molested car:cool:.

Last edited:
I think you will still leave 10-15 HP on the table with the OEM header versus a really good quality header but if you don't want the extra cost you will be OK. NA2 OEM exhaust is very restrictive, the header is not so bad.

I have Angus AP-X exhaust and it is a little bit louder than stock until you go to V-Tec range then it will get loud but with an exotic tone similar to an F-car. I get a lot of complements on it. But exhaust tone is a matter of personal taste. You should listen to YouTube examples and if possible find other local owners that have aftermarket exhausts to listen to as well. Get what sounds good to you.

I have Angus AP-X exhaust and it is a little bit louder than stock until you go to V-Tec range then it will get loud but with an exotic tone similar to an F-car. I get a lot of complements on it. But exhaust tone is a matter of personal taste. You should listen to YouTube examples and if possible find other local owners that have aftermarket exhausts to listen to as well. Get what sounds good to you.

It sounds very good on YouTube. Does anyone have this for safe?

- - - Updated - - -

I swapped my stock NA1 boat anchor headers with a set of NA2 headers. Also purchased the Comptech exhaust and have been very happy.

They now have Gen II Comptech exhaust and wonder if anyone has it and don't mind post it.

It sounds very good on YouTube. Does anyone have this for safe?

- - - Updated - - -

They now have Gen II Comptech exhaust and wonder if anyone has it and don't mind post it.

That is what I have. Sounds a little louder than Gen1 and a little better, but pretty close over all. I think it weighs less, but not positive.

I have gtlw...what year is your car?

Last edited:
I think you will still leave 10-15 HP on the table with the OEM header versus a really good quality header but if you don't want the extra cost you will be OK. NA2 OEM exhaust is very restrictive, the header is not so bad.

That sure isn't what the dyno shows. But those are mainly an cars.

op, there is a comptech exhaust in the for sale section right now.

Back