• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello, '92 BGP from Tokyo.

Hi Primers,

I've been lurking in the shadows for a while now, but figured it was finally time to create an account and get involved with this awesome group of owners. My name's Blake, I'm an Aussie living in Tokyo for the past 12 months and have just recently picked up a 1992 Brooklands Green Pearl NA1.

Hopefully there are some readers of Speedhunters on Prime - I've been a contributor for about two years now. The NSX is now a minted Speedhunters Project Car so I'll be posting regular updates there as the car is brought up to my standards. Overall it's very clean with just over 70,000km's - paintwork, trim and interior are very good for a car of this vintage but I've already spent some time and money getting on top of common weak points in these early cars (power window regulators, blower motor) and there's plenty more to come. The biggest project on the horizon is converting the car from automatic to manual - a process I know makes many of you in the US get sweaty palms but here in Japan it's quite a common modification - the perception being that an automatic base car is going to be a less thrashed base to start from. The only issue is the parts price and availability situation - the swap is becoming less economically viable these days, but I'll chronicle the process and show what's involved, hopefully for the benefit of others considering swapping an AT car.

I'm planning on bringing the performance of the car into 2017 with some select upgrades, and eventually enjoy the great shows and circuits that Japan has to offer while I'm here. To be honest, despite having an appreciation for the car since a young age, I was never a diehard NSX fan (have always been about Porsches) but after driving one late last year my eyes were opened and I decided to hunt down my own. The driving experience really does seperate it from newer/faster cars (GT-R guys will never understand!).

Anywho, nice to meet you all and looking forward to learning more about this great car, glad to share the journey with you.

35131897084_053d5c685a_c.jpg

35801084912_e1717b7217_z.jpg

35801198282_f8869a7cf0_c.jpg

35971856525_e839558ff5_c.jpg

Your car looks to be a very clean find. I expect these cars are more reasonably priced in Japan than Australia! Good luck on the transmission swap.

Welcome. I just spent the last 5 or so years near Tokyo and have recently moved back to the US with my 1990 NSX I purchased there. I would be out and about in it, Daikoku, Tatsumi, about once every couple months or so.

Car looks great. Is it OE paint with the color code in the door jamb? Interesting to see Brooklands Green that early, but there's not much in the way of information on color palettes per introduction year for the Japanese market.

Your car looks to be a very clean find. I expect these cars are more reasonably priced in Japan than Australia! Good luck on the transmission swap.

Thanks! Yes, prices in Australia are crazy which was part of the reason I went for the NSX here in Japan - it was now or never!

THAT is a fine looking NSX!
Welcome to NSX Prime :smile:

Thanks mate :)

Welcome. I just spent the last 5 or so years near Tokyo and have recently moved back to the US with my 1990 NSX I purchased there. I would be out and about in it, Daikoku, Tatsumi, about once every couple months or so.

Car looks great. Is it OE paint with the color code in the door jamb? Interesting to see Brooklands Green that early, but there's not much in the way of information on color palettes per introduction year for the Japanese market.

Cruising the elevated highways around Tokyo never gets old. I've had someone tell me Brooklands Green wasn't made this early but I've seen three BGP '92 cars come through at auction in the last few months. Did you connect with any other owners while you were here?

As an 04 Auto owner, I briefly considered the swap to manual but also have those sweaty palms you speak of, and many have highly suggested to leave it, or just buy a manual nsx.

Definitely will be following this thread and your progress. Are you swapping for a 5spd or 6spd?

Thanks mate! Yes, Japan is still much cheaper than Australia, but prices are shooting up here very quickly too.

THAT is a fine looking NSX!
Welcome to NSX Prime :smile:

Thanks mate!

Ahh what a shame we didn't overlap. I've been doing the same, cruising down to Daikoku and Tatsumi before the police shut it down (these days around 10pm). Yes OE paint, I'm trying to dig more info up because most of what I've been able to find online is very US centric as far as paint colours, specs etc. go.

As an 04 Auto owner, I briefly considered the swap to manual but also have those sweaty palms you speak of, and many have highly suggested to leave it, or just buy a manual nsx.

Definitely will be following this thread and your progress. Are you swapping for a 5spd or 6spd?

The closer I get, the sweatier my palms get too. It's not that there's any problem with the swap, but parts are getting more and more expensive, so I'm less confident I'll be financially ahead compared to just buying an MT car now. At this stage I'm planning to swap a 6spd, but if the right 5spd came up I'd consider that, too.

hey welcome to prime! ive been following your IG account when you first bought that beauty. (my username is brg_nsx in case you're wondering). didn't know yours was an automatic, but thats awesome to hear you'll be converting to manual and documenting the process!

Nice car Blake but good luck with the necessary conversion. Getting really hard to locate a clean example. There will be constant maintenance as the car is getting old. Maybe can see you at the Kinokuni booth in the next Tokyo Auto Salon. Have read your Speedhunter articles which are great.

I was never a diehard NSX fan (have always been about Porsches) but after driving one late last year my eyes were opened and I decided to hunt down my own. The driving experience really does seperate it from newer/faster cars (GT-R guys will never understand!).

That is really interesting. I too, was a diehard Porsche fan for about 22 years. I was looking for a used Porsche in 1999 when I stumbled on an ad for an NSX. Then I recalled a friend giving me a birthday gift in 1991, which was the Honda book on the NSX. That motivated me to find the book, then go look at the car. After a 5 mile test drive, although the specific car I was driving was not that nice, I left and said to myself: "Go get one of these!!!!" Found a perfect one 4 weeks later, and for the last 18 years it is NSX baby!!!!

Regards,
LarryB

Back