• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help Needed - Buzzing sound!

I'm sorry for posting up such a noob question, but I'm stumped and frankly I'm not that mechanically inclined.

I just purchased a 2002 NSX and it was delivered to my house today by the shipping company. When the driver went to start it and pull it off the truck, the battery was dead. No big deal, he jumped it and it started up fine. I let the car run for several minutes and it's been starting & running fine since. I've also put the battery tender on it for now just to get it fully charged.

Now comes my question. Since putting the car in the garage I've been hearing a buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment. It almost sounds like a "pager" going off with the "vibration buzzing" sound. It goes off about every 2:15min, and it only buzzes for like 3-4 seconds.

It's definitely coming from the engine area, and it seems to me like it's coming from under the plastic coolant tank near the firewall.

Any ideas???

Evaporative emissions control[edit]

"EVAP" redirects here. EVAP may also refer to Evaporation.

Evaporative emissions are the result of gasoline vapors escaping from the vehicle's fuel system. Since 1971, all U.S. vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere; mandates for systems of this type appeared contemporaneously in other jurisdictions. In a typical system, vapors from the fuel tank and carburetor bowl vent (on carbureted vehicles) are ducted to canisters containing activated carbon. The vapors are adsorbed within the canister, and during certain engine operational modes fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling the vapor into the engine, where it burns.

Leak detection systems[edit]
ESIM - Evaporative System Integrity Monitor
NVLD - Natural Vacuum Leak Detection
LDP - Leak Detection Pump

What he said ^^

Evaporative emissions control[edit]

"EVAP" redirects here. EVAP may also refer to Evaporation.

Evaporative emissions are the result of gasoline vapors escaping from the vehicle's fuel system. Since 1971, all U.S. vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere; mandates for systems of this type appeared contemporaneously in other jurisdictions. In a typical system, vapors from the fuel tank and carburetor bowl vent (on carbureted vehicles) are ducted to canisters containing activated carbon. The vapors are adsorbed within the canister, and during certain engine operational modes fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling the vapor into the engine, where it burns.

Leak detection systems[edit]
ESIM - Evaporative System Integrity Monitor
NVLD - Natural Vacuum Leak Detection
LDP - Leak Detection Pump

Brian K is more an engineer in our NSX's than I ever will be, but I think you can rest assured this is a normal "cool-down" signal from your 2002 and newer NSX-T. I hear it frequently from both of ours (2004 and 2005 Suzuka built). In fact, after 431 miles (both) this past weekend.... returned from ESTFest Ontario we had a symphony of these "groans" while I enjoyed an afterglow in the garage. Somewhat sounds like a load-leveling system.
I have resolved that it is perfectly normal.

Not to worry! :smile:

Back