• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! Strange noise from the NSX

Greetings my NSX Prime family,

Just recently my NSX started making a noisy squeal after a minute during idle. I am not exactly sure what this noise can be. My car has 110K miles, and the full 90K service was done at 80K over 10yrs ago. I am assuming that the harmonic balancer was not changed during this time. When this noise first appeared, it was also during warm up as well and eventually went away quite quickly which then didn't concern me. This time, the noise seems to stay and has me concerned enough to not drive the car. I rarely drive the car and it has been several months since the 1st. incident and now today. Oil was changed fairly recently, clean as what I remember. No funny white smoke or sweet smelling scent. Any ideas what this noise can be? a/c compressor going bad? I'm afraid to drive it and will probably just flat bed it to a reputable shop for service, but any clues would be greatly appreciated. Any East Bay California shop that is reputable that I should contact? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
JC

link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuAj6oXVkys&feature=youtu.be

noise appears: 1.45

Last edited:
Sounds like a bearing. Probably the AC belt tensioner pulley. Could be the alternator. Best to go back there and listen carefully. Harmonic balancer will not make a noise unless it explodes. Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the response. Been shafted a few times by shops which is why I am willing to try to figure things out if I could. Can definitely learn a lot doing work yourself. I'll look into those areas as per your suggestions. Much appreciated.

JC

Sounds like a bearing. Probably the AC belt tensioner pulley. Could be the alternator. Best to go back there and listen carefully. Harmonic balancer will not make a noise unless it explodes. Good Luck!
Agree on the tensioner pulley, very recently changed mine.

I had the issue last month where I was having a squeeling noise. Would come and go. It was AC tensioner pulley. Pulley is about $80 and an hour of your time to replace. But you can pop the bearing out of the pulley itself, take it to a bearing shop and get a replacement for $8 and pop that back in. That's what I did. Those things are common for failure.

Definately the AC pulley as you can hear the AC compressor engage right before the sound appears. If you turn off your AC when the its squealing and it dissapears you'll be 100% certain.

Just saw/heard your video and it confirms what I think it is. Reffer to my first post here. You can either source and replace pulley ($80 for a pulley) and an hour of your time to remove and replace (easy, just make sure to put back together, if not sure then I can help you with a diagram).

Or if you want to save a SHITLOAD of money then remove the pulley. Once you remove pulley, pop the bearing assembly out (there are threads here on how to do that so search, if you cant find it then ask here but search first).
Then take that bearing assembly too a bearing shop (there are out there, google it) and they will know exactly what you need. The bearing assembly is a standard part everyone will have (and like $8). Carefully pop back into your pulley and reinstall.

I am almost sure its the pulley. sure there are chances it can be something else but my money is on the ac tension pulley. As a matter of fact, take the pulley out today if you have time, and see if the bearing spins easily. If it has any resistance, you found your problem

Or for faster diagnostic:
start car. Get a loong screwdriver or metal extension of some sore and put one end on pulley bolt (carefully, dont touch spinning pulley) and ear on other end and see if you hear grinding.

You guys are awesome! I will definitely look into that piece sometime this weekend if given the chance. A big thank you to everyone here on prime!

Thank you Primers!

I must apologize for the delayed update. It took a bit longer for me to source a new bearing as per junior40er's suggestion of going aftermarket vs. honda/acura. From a $71 part to a $3 fix. Wow! I also had to wait for a friend to make time to help me change the part as per my very limited mechanical skills. The bearing inside the a/c idle pulley was replaced and when the car fired up...... smooth as silk. You guys are truly awesome and I love how some people have an open mind on saving $ in areas where we can. I love how you guys/ladies are willing to share your experiences with others for the love of our cars. Thank you everyone. Also, thank you Gerad @ acura of reno for the quick ship on the a/c belt. Everyone, have a great day!

Thanks!

JC

Thank you Primers!

I must apologize for the delayed update. It took a bit longer for me to source a new bearing as per junior40er's suggestion of going aftermarket vs. honda/acura. From a $71 part to a $3 fix. Wow! I also had to wait for a friend to make time to help me change the part as per my very limited mechanical skills. The bearing inside the a/c idle pulley was replaced and when the car fired up...... smooth as silk. You guys are truly awesome and I love how some people have an open mind on saving $ in areas where we can. I love how you guys/ladies are willing to share your experiences with others for the love of our cars. Thank you everyone. Also, thank you Gerad @ acura of reno for the quick ship on the a/c belt. Everyone, have a great day!

Thanks!

JC

Thats awesome man! Im glad we were of some help. I know I am late on checking up on this but looks like you took care of it.

Back