• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Home Theater Projector

sjs said:
I'm looking for theater curtains. Did you just buy some material and have those made? Any suggestions on the least reflective/distracting materials to use?

The best material is called black Duvatine. It is what theater curtains are made from. You can find it at most high quality fabric stores. No light passes through it, and it also good sound dampening materials which all home theaters are in need of.

poet_x,

The couches are made by lazboy. We went to a local furniture store and had them ordered in the material we wanted. The ones in stock were typical cloth solids and prints.

sjs,

The curtains in our room are just "supreme" curtains from JC Penney. I have blackout pleated shades on the windows so I was not really concerned about light getting through them. I think the entire setup with the rods was about $500.

sjs said:
Thanks guys. And speaking of sound absorption, anyone have really good deals on decent acoustic tiles, panels, etc. specifically for such applications? Everything I find on the web is priced insane for what it is.

I've worked in recording and film studios for years and here is the best thing I've run across and highly regarded by top engineers. This is simple and cheap.
You can order from Home Depot or Lowe's a type of insulation called"701". This is 1.5" thick board that usually comes in 4'X3' sheets @ $2.50 a sheet.
You then get automotive headliner which come as fabric with a .25" foam backing and cover the insulation board with it. Kind of like you would wrap a present and staple the foam on the side of the board the will attach to the wall. This is usually $2.00 a square yard. Cheap and available in all the colors of the rinbow to suit anyone's needs. Easy to do and 5 bucks per sheet. You can mount these on walls or ceiling with picture frame hooks. Works great and makes it easy to tune your room. I'll post some pics. and get the number of headliner wholesalers. Hope this helps! Your right- the stuff they sell in stores and magazines is a complete rip off.

Pooh,

Check out the Sony VPL-HS20 (I have the HS10). Great LCD projector for HD & DVD. As others have suggested, get some screen samples and decide what you like best. I ordered Dalite Pearlesence fabric and made my own frame out of wood. Cost of the entire project was less than $250 and it looks great. I have the screen lit from behind with rope lights that are not visible creating an image like the sun eclipsing (try to take a pic & post) when it's not in use.

I'm one of those people that has problems watching a single panel DLP (rainbows and a flickering effect). So it's LCD or LCOS until 3-panel DLPs are cheaper for me.

JAM

NSX-Ster said:
I've worked in recording and film studios for years and here is the best thing I've run across and highly regarded by top engineers. This is simple and cheap...

Excellent! I'll try experimenting with some. Automotive headliner for a cover would never have occurred to me, but it makes sense. I don’t doubt that some of the specially designed “egg crate” stuff works better than flat damping, but for my purposes I think I’ll stick with the simple approach for now.

can we bring this thread back? hehehe....so far, I got the room done..seatings....and now looking for a projector and some speakers.:D

If you are looking for a nice set of speakers that sound great but are budget minded, I would look at the offerings from Boston Acoustics. Eileen and I got our speakers for about $2000.00 for the set. We got them a seperate pairs from Tweeter. The boston 12" sub that we tucked behind the sofa is great!! It shakes the window panes during some tracks in the matrix and other action movies!!:D

Here is my updated setup.
Panasonic PT-l300u 16x9 native projector
Da-Lite 106" screen
Klipsch speakers
Marantz Tuner
Panasonic 5 DVD player

Attachments

• small img_0279.jpg
    small img_0279.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 307
NSX-Ster said:
... here is the best thing I've run across and highly regarded by top engineers. This is simple and cheap.
You can order from Home Depot or Lowe's a type of insulation called"701". This is 1.5" thick board that usually comes in 4'X3' sheets @ $2.50 a sheet.
You then get automotive headliner which come as fabric with a .25" foam backing and cover the insulation board with it.
Very nice idea. With that thought in mind, we do have another sound issue to consider; Isolation, right? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I know of the double layer drywall approach, and some of the deadning materials offered comercially, but I have yet to find a definative solution as to how I will build-out my un-finished basement for what will be the home theater room. The bottom line is, I want the sound confined to the home theater and not be heard upstairs. I want to be able to pump up some volume and not disturb anyone above the home theater, being the family room.

KGP said:
Very nice idea. With that thought in mind, we do have another sound issue to consider; Isolation, right? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I know of the double layer drywall approach, and some of the deadning materials offered comercially, but I have yet to find a definative solution as to how I will build-out my un-finished basement for what will be the home theater room. The bottom line is, I want the sound confined to the home theater and not be heard upstairs. I want to be able to pump up some volume and not disturb anyone above the home theater, being the family room.
Isolation in a residential home is a tough one. I'm sure your basement is not a "floating" room. ie- a room where the walls ceiling and FLOOR touch no other part of the structure. I've only seen this in studios and it does work. The best thing to consider in addition to the double drywall setup(make sure you overlap the seems on those)is:
1-double drywall the ceiling as well(try to avoid using a drop ceiling these actually resonate sound and make it louder in other areas)
2-If your basement floor is a slab, place your speakers on pedestals on the carpet on the floor. If you mount the speaker on the walls or on the ceiling you will get sound transfer through the infrastructure of your home.
Good luck-let me know the progress.

NSX-Ster said:
The best thing to consider in addition to the double drywall setup(make sure you overlap the seems on those)is:
1-double drywall the ceiling as well(try to avoid using a drop ceiling these actually resonate sound and make it louder in other areas)
I have seen isolation systems avaiable like this, where isolation mounts are used to separate the drywall from the floor joists and wall studs. How well they work and how much they cost, I don't know yet. I'm in the early stages, call it pre-planning. Just getting started on another project. Have to finish that first! ;)

can some one comment on this BenQ PB6100 thing here real quick?

My room is 13x18..................What kind of feature should I look for beside DLP? $1500 is my max budget.

thanks ya'll

Last edited:
PoohBEAR said:
can some one comment on this thing here real quick?

My room is 13x18..................What kind of feature should I look for beside DLP? $1500 is my max budget.

thanks ya'll

$1500 is your max for what? A TV?

len3.8 said:
I think he is saying Max for his projector.

That is way too low for a DLP projector. You are going to end up with a peice of crap and NEVER be happy with it.

I would at LEAST budget $3000 for an OK projector.

NetViper said:
That is way too low for a DLP projector. You are going to end up with a peice of crap and NEVER be happy with it.

I would at LEAST budget $3000 for an OK projector.

In my opinion, you do not need to spend a large amount of money on your projector for a decent home theatre experience. Last week I visited a friend to see his new theatre room. He had installed an InFocus X1 ($800) and had made his own professional looking 120" screen using a roll of movie theatre screen stretched accross a wodden frame ($60). Everyone who saw it agreed it looked far better than any big screen TV they had ever seen.

While I realize there are better looking setups out there, I am confident most consumers (i.e. non-videophiles who just want to watch their DVD's) will be absolutely thrilled with the picture quality of this $800 unit and see no need to spend more.

Sharp DLP projector and Sharp Wireless Aquos LCD. Me like

Attachments

• theater picture for prime.jpg
    theater picture for prime.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 197
DLP projectors aren't as expensive as they used to be to get good quality pictures. Just like the aforementioned X1 by Infocus.

Klipsche speakers are really good for home theater IMO. It's bright and VERY effecient. You don't need to crank the volume knob on the receiver all the way up to get it rockin' loud.

I agree with Joel and BB. There are some nice sub-$1000 projectors out there that are far from "crap [that one would] NEVER be happy with." For DVD (480P) viewing, SVGA (800x600) is perfectly acceptable for most folks. If you want to make the most of HDTV, you’ll need to step-up to XGA (1024x768) resolution.

I’m very happy with my Klipsch and think they are a great value.

Back