• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda CEO Talks Up NSX

IMG_0629.jpg

hsv.jpg

From CARトップ POWERFUL CAR MAGAZINE 2011−3

Would anyone be willing to translate the article?

High Resolution Photo of the Article

Last edited:
Not sure - you may be right but it looks pretty good - now if it's a mid engine - that would be great. We are waiting.....:wink:

Does anyone else feel like you've been dating this girl for a long time, and its waaaay overdue for a "sleepover" but all you get is teased with some 1st base action with all this "hokey pokey" promises of a new NSX?

Honda, sh*t or get off the pot, this is getting really old. I sold my boat on tuesday, I paid off all my debts except the mort. and 2 cars, give us something to buy!

Oh, and please don't show that commercial of an SUV going around some track and call it a sports car anymore, its just embarrassing: "we started with a sports car, and ended with a sports car"... really? you really wanna call the TSX sport wagon a sports car.... ARE YOU NUTS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2v9AJuajoA

:confused:

Honda what that guy said + one :cool: Plus: if it isn't a mid-engine car, how can you call it a NSX. :mad: like I've said before "build it and they will buy it" the HSC or a close veriant

Last edited:
Screw Honda. My 91 NSX (awesome car, still own it) is not from the same company that is called Honda now. Now it's all about green passenger car crap. Even in F1 that Earth Dreams car told you they didn't care about 'sports' and only cared about 'Al Gore'

Suffice to say my next 'Sports' car was a 997-911. When they get rid of the green monkeys running the place and get serious about the sports side of things I'll take another look.

What is even sadder is knowing that guys in Honda/acura's marketing and customer department have probably seen this thread, and all the internet hating them for their stupid grill design and yet what do they do...nothing.

(reference Lexus responding to youtube customer video)

I hate to bring this up but the last time a NSX replacement was on the cards the G.F.C. hit the world and Honda ran for the hills and went all green on us.

With the devastating earth quake and tsunami that hit northern Japan, Honda has shut done most if not all production plants in the region until later this week when a decision on whether their suppliers will have the ability to supply the necessary parts to assemble their vehicles.

I know this may be a pessimistic view but this could be another reason not to spend any unnecessary funds on a Halo car that will provide little or no financial returns to Honda especially with the future of production in Japan uncertain in the short term.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like you've been dating this girl for a long time, and its waaaay overdue for a "sleepover" but all you get is teased with some 1st base action with all this "hokey pokey" promises of a new NSX?

Honda, sh*t or get off the pot, this is getting really old. I sold my boat on tuesday, I paid off all my debts except the mort. and 2 cars, give us something to buy!

Oh, and please don't show that commercial of an SUV going around some track and call it a sports car anymore, its just embarrassing: "we started with a sports car, and ended with a sports car"... really? you really wanna call the TSX sport wagon a sports car.... ARE YOU NUTS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2v9AJuajoA

:confused:

Amen Jason!

Is this another thread that gives us all blue balls?

Amen Jason!

So I sold my boat! what do they say about the two best days of boat ownership, the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

Now Ive got some extra scratch I didnt plan on having... I think its time to save up for a turbo. It will kinda be like a new car... sorta

Im pretty sure our cars with a stage 2 lovefab will be just about as fast as a new one, and at just 12k installed (15k with a few extras) is a steal compared to any new NSX that will come out.

What do you think Tim? 450HP enough to get the blood pumping?

J

Word is the Super Hybrid Sports vehicle will be a modern interpretation of the Dual-Note concept. The soon the be debuted vehicle will be front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout and will be packaged as a premium grand tourer (GT).

Last edited:
Im pretty sure our cars with a stage 2 lovefab will be just about as fast as a new one, and at just 12k installed (15k with a few extras) is a steal compared to any new NSX that will come out.

What do you think Tim? 450HP enough to get the blood pumping?

J

Why go for the lovefab? That turbo is way too big and thus takes longer to spool. I saw some very powerful supras this weekend at the national supra meet and got to see some in action. I was very unimpressed and a bunch of mostly useless power. I don't know much about turbo kits but I started looking into it and found the STMPO kit the most appealing, or perhaps the AP-X kit. Cheaper too, although with 15k you could get a lot of NA power and not deal with any of the issues turbos present.

Why go for the lovefab? That turbo is way too big and thus takes longer to spool. I saw some very powerful supras this weekend at the national supra meet and got to see some in action. I was very unimpressed and a bunch of mostly useless power. I don't know much about turbo kits but I started looking into it and found the STMPO kit the most appealing, or perhaps the AP-X kit. Cheaper too, although with 15k you could get a lot of NA power and not deal with any of the issues turbos present.

I have been looking into turbos for a while... even took a ride in one. Turbo lag is not such a problem with these newer turbos out there. 15k is a little misleading because the turbo would only be like 8-9k, but then you need other parts like a new clutch that can handle that much power, injectors to supply gas, etc etc. If you know of a way to get 400-450 rwhp NA for 8-9k I am all ears.

Lovefab... actually is pretty amazing. I liked SOS's twin turbo approach as well. Then there are a list of folks from the Angus pool who swear the man is a god with turbos. The twin turbo set up is applealing for a stock look but after doing some research Ive seen that many folks with twin turbos have switched to single larger ones.. but not the other way around.

J

I have been looking into turbos for a while... even took a ride in one. Turbo lag is not such a problem with these newer turbos out there. 15k is a little misleading because the turbo would only be like 8-9k, but then you need other parts like a new clutch that can handle that much power, injectors to supply gas, etc etc. If you know of a way to get 400-450 rwhp NA for 8-9k I am all ears.

Lovefab... actually is pretty amazing. I liked SOS's twin turbo approach as well. Then there are a list of folks from the Angus pool who swear the man is a god with turbos. The twin turbo set up is applealing for a stock look but after doing some research Ive seen that many folks with twin turbos have switched to single larger ones.. but not the other way around.

J

Ok ok, I'm not going to derail this thread about the next NSX by discussing the merits of FI vs NA powerplants! My only point was that there is more usable power if you look at other options besides "big" turbos like the ones some kits use, even if those kits make more peak hp in a narrow powerband. I do think that once you go turbo, you always want to go bigger and more powerful bc it's addicting. The important thing is that adding a bunch of power to your NSX will make it feel "new" and is indeed a good alternative to waiting for some front engine, all wheel drive monstrosity to come out. Just don't forget the extra brakes, chassis reinforcement, suspension, and drivetrain components (like you mentioned) while you're at it so you keep the car balanced.

Ok ok, I'm not going to derail this thread about the next NSX by discussing the merits of FI vs NA powerplants! My only point was that there is more usable power if you look at other options besides "big" turbos like the ones some kits use, even if those kits make more peak hp in a narrow powerband. I do think that once you go turbo, you always want to go bigger and more powerful bc it's addicting. The important thing is that adding a bunch of power to your NSX will make it feel "new" and is indeed a good alternative to waiting for some front engine, all wheel drive monstrosity to come out. Just don't forget the extra brakes, chassis reinforcement, suspension, and drivetrain components (like you mentioned) while you're at it so you keep the car balanced.

you are 100 percent right - power is not everything... but its a sports car - and truth be told, should have come with a super or turbo charger. The X has always been underpowered IMHO.

you are 100 percent right - power is not everything... but its a sports car - and truth be told, should have come with a super or turbo charger. The X has always been underpowered IMHO.

I would ay that it was OK when a 3.0, with the 3.2, they should have either increased the power over the " 276 BHP" to at least 340 BHP to remain in the game. The facelifted ones should have at least come with a 3.5 and 380 BHP. In a sense like Porsche or Ferrari have done, even Lotus have done it.

Amen to that. In the day, when the NSX was originally designed, Honda was kicking tail in F1 with their turbocharged engines. Why they didn't put a variation of those engines in our cars is beyond me. They definately had the capability to do more than throw a modified Legend engine in these cars.

Amen to that. In the day, when the NSX was originally designed, Honda was kicking tail in F1 with their turbocharged engines. Why they didn't put a variation of those engines in our cars is beyond me. They definately had the capability to do more than throw a modified Legend engine in these cars.

I don't get it either. I've heard of the "gentleman's agreement" by Japanese auto makers to not go upwards of 300HP, but look at the GTR. Ok, some will say the GTR came out in 09 with all that power, but the skyline R34 and its predecessors surely didn't stick to the 300HP limit.

The X looks like a supercar... in some ways, it is one of the best looking supercar designs, and it was very well made... but like we said already

ITS A SPORTS CAR HONDA - MAKE IT KICK ASS

I know if you are an amazing driver, an inferior car can still win. But why start the race with a handicap? They better get this right next time. Nowadays everything has a bazillion horsepower. If the new NSX can be beat by a hyundai I'm gonna hurl! LOL

The turbo application was considered and ultimately rejected because of concerns over reliability and throttle response. Because the NS-X had to be as reliable as any other Honda, Honda engineers determined that it could not be done with 1980's turbo technology.

Contrary to popular belief (including my own before learning more about the car), the C30A and C32B are not re-worked or tweaked Legend engines. The only similarity is that they are both 90 degree V6 designs, which is whay Honda used the "C" designation for both. Otherwise, the C30A was designed from the ground up for the NSX. It is not compatible with the Legend.

I agree with AR in that Honda missed the mark with the facelift in 2002. They should have bumped displacement to 3.5L and power into the mid 300's. They should have moved to a DOHC, dry sump version of the 60 degree J-series layout, as that engine has been very successful for them (call it a J35X). They should also have updated the brakes to a monoblock design and refreshed the A/V options in the console. If the 1997 NA2 could be considered a MMC, then the 2002 (NA3) should have been a complete refresh.

The turbo application was considered and ultimately rejected because of concerns over reliability and throttle response. Because the NS-X had to be as reliable as any other Honda, Honda engineers determined that it could not be done with 1980's turbo technology.

Contrary to popular belief (including my own before learning more about the car), the C30A and C32B are not re-worked or tweaked Legend engines. The only similarity is that they are both 90 degree V6 designs, which is whay Honda used the "C" designation for both. Otherwise, the C30A was designed from the ground up for the NSX. It is not compatible with the Legend.

I agree with AR in that Honda missed the mark with the facelift in 2002. They should have bumped displacement to 3.5L and power into the mid 300's. They should have moved to a DOHC, dry sump version of the 60 degree J-series layout, as that engine has been very successful for them (call it a J35X). They should also have updated the brakes to a monoblock design and refreshed the A/V options in the console. If the 1997 NA2 could be considered a MMC, then the 2002 (NA3) should have been a complete refresh.

If they had done a 3.5L with 375HP in 2002, people would have been all over this. I think the reason they didnt is because they were just trying to use up all their parts they were under contract for so they could stop making the car.

The question is...will it beat the GT-R and LFA?

What? Really guys the replacment to the NSX, no matter what it is - does not have to be an LF-A beater. It should compete with a GT-R but then it really should be able to compete with the 911 GTS or R8 with the V10.

I don't really care about the GT-R, personally - it's butt ugly and the interior is a "bozo". It is clunky and has no modern flow at all. The R8 on the other hand is simple and pure like the GTS or Carrera - I like things like that - actually I like the even more simple dash they had in the 993 which is a reiteration of all the 911 dashes before it or a slightly upgraded one. Everyone is after flash - you want flash buy the 918 or the LFA or a Ferrari or Lambo or Aston or Veyron - you got the money there is a car with super powers and flash for you - leave the NSX in a more pure form to compete with the street version of the GT3 or R8 V10. No one needs a Honda to cost 350 to 450k or what ever the new 918 will cost which is rumored at around 750k. Those are in another league - not in HONDA league.

They don't race Veyrons anyway. Will they ever race the 918 RSR - it's up for a big question mark. Who knows.

This idea that Honda/Acura needs to compete with Lambo or Ferrari is misguided in my opinon. You can't produce a car on that level and make it cost 75k or 80k. The new Lotus Evora is more along the lines of what the NSX could have been as it moved forward. It doesn't have to make QUANTUM leaps to Ford GT power or ZR1 power imho. The NSX didn't pretend to compete with the top Ferrari or Lambo but back then it was easier to compete on a speed level with the likes of Ferrari or Lambo or Masseratti. Now you can't move into super stardom with carbon fiber every thing like the Carrera GT unless you want to charge your customers like that and even Porsche knew that the GT wasn't what most of their customers wanted - ohhhh they'd love to have one - but most of their customers can't afford anymore than Honda's can.

So get over this idea it has to compete with the LFA - that's just crazy talk. Never will happen and that is not what the cusotmer base that prmarily bought the NSX was looking for. Personally I thought that the 02-05s were too expensive - I mean what did they have to offer over the 2001? A few upgrades that made no difference to the performance? What the hell is that - Porsche would have been ashamed to produce a new type model like what I will call the NA3 just for the heck of it - it's easier than quoting the years. Everyone knows what I mean anyway. But if Porsche came out with a car that looked as different as the "NA3" they would have added horse power - at least 25 hp. With other models that exceeded that! So Honda just quit on it. It was all about looks and they didn't even have the decency to upgrade the damn stereo - I mean that just totally sucks on their part! TOTALLY!

I sat in the Evora on Sun afternoon at the Atlanta car show - it was nice and comfortable and I'd love to drive it but the hp is not even as high as the NSX was supposed to be since '97 - geeze. But I bet it handled and it had nav and a nice stereo and nice wheels and it looked great. Kind of like what you would have expected from Honda and it was 77k! 77K - damn a new car like that as fast or faster than the NSX for less money! What is up HONDA! They have a lot to get with! I wonder if they are up to the challenge - their biggest problem is figuring out what part of the market they want to go after - HONDA IS CONFUSED! Can we all say CONFUSED!

Last edited:
One more thing - If I had plenty of money and wanted a fast car and one that had the proper upgrades in the cabin - it would not be an NSX! It would not be an NSX with a Super Charger either! I just don't have the cash, but if I did.....

I would go right out and buy a GTS or maybe an R8 with the V10 - but most likely I would go Porsche. At least Porsche and the other "sports car manufacturers" move forward and have a lineage of race heritage that they want to maintain. Honda is floundering with not knowing which way to go!

Anyone that is sitting around on this site and talking up Super chargers and turbo chargers for their cars while the GT3 or GTS or 911TT is doing laps around them misses the point of the NSX. Be happy with what you have not what you wish Honda had done! Be happy you have what Honda did - it is a slice of time - a special production - an anomoly - a unique piece of history. It may never be repeated by Honda unless they get serious. I wonder if they ever will again try?

Till then I'm happy with what I have and what Honda accomplished and it is what it is! :wink: I just hope like everyone here that they choose to do it again and do it better and make it something we can afford!

Last edited:
This idea that Honda/Acura needs to compete with Lambo or Ferrari is misguided in my opinon. You can't produce a car on that level and make it cost 75k or 80k.

Tim makes a great point here. The NSX was intended by Honda to compete specifically with the Ferrari 348, and it did so marvelously. The NSX was not intended to compete with the V12 Testarossa. The NSX was not intended to compete with the F40 Supercar.

Holding up the supposed new NSX against the LFA or Enzo is just as pointless as putting it against the F40 in 1990. This is not the NSX market segment. Never was.

In truth, there is no Ferrari product today that could be used as a target by Honda. Due to intense competition (partly caused by the NSX lol), Ferrari was forced to improve its "affordable" MR V8 platform so much that they priced themselves out of the market. Indeed, the present-day 458 Italia has Enzo-level performance and a price tag of close to $200,000. That's a far cry from the 348 in 1990. However, there are other products that do present a similar market position as the 348 did in 1990:

Porsche 911
C6 Corvette
GT-R

Even in this bad economy, plenty of people are still buying the above cars. There is an established market for upscale sports cars at a $50k to $90k price point. Just like the original, the new NSX should be targeted here, not on some megabucks halo car.

One more thing - If I had plenty of money and wanted a fast car and one that had the proper upgrades in the cabin - it would not be an NSX! It would not be an NSX with a Super Charger either! I just don't have the cash, but if I did.....

I would go right out and buy a GTS or maybe an R8 with the V10 - but most likely I would go Porsche. At least Porsche and the other "sports car manufacturers" move forward and have a lineage of race heritage that they want to maintain. Honda is floundering with not knowing which way to go!

Anyone that is sitting around on this site and talking up Super chargers and turbo chargers for their cars while the GT3 or GTS or 911TT is doing laps around them misses the point of the NSX. Be happy with what you have not what you wish Honda had done! Be happy you have what Honda did - it is a slice of time - a special production - an anomoly - a unique piece of history. It may never be repeated by Honda unless they get serious. I wonder if they ever will again try?

Till then I'm happy with what I have and what Honda accomplished and it is what it is! :wink: I just hope like everyone here that they choose to do it again and do it better and make it something we can afford!

I have to disagree about the Turbo or Supercharger comment: While I agree that the NSX is not there to compete with an enzo, there is a valid point to the turbo/SC argument..... COST

Yes, stock the GT3 or GTS or 911TT will do laps around the NSX, but at what cost? You can get a great X for 35-45k, and if you throw in a turbo and new components youre sitting at 45-60k for a really really really fast car that looks great.

There are different reasons for owning an X, but just as it would be unfair to say those who want a "snapshot in time" are foolish; would be unfair, saying those who want to make their sports car as fast as possible is dumb would be just as unfair.

(Tim, I love ya man, but have you ridden in an X with 450-500RWHP?) - if you did you would see that the NSX you love is still there. And when you want to feel those HP's kick in you can open up the ash tray (where the AEM is hidden), push a button to add boost, and then hit the gas and FFFFLLLLLYYYY like never before.

I took a ride in one of lovefab's cars, it drove very nicely. It looked good too. Had all the style and looks... But when he added boost and pushed the car it was..........AWESOME! I don't know if it was faster than the GTR, R8, 512, 355 F1, 456GT, or 430... but it sure as hell felt like it was.

Ive driven or have been driven in all those cars, and not one of them felt nearly as powerful as the turbo NSX. Maybe its the seating position, maybe its how low you sit to the ground, maybe its the visibility... I DONT KNOW, but I have never felt I was in a car that had more power than I needed until I was in a turbo X.

And thats great if you ask me... because you don't have to always use it that way. But if you want to....

after all, its a sports car! ;)

and that is why I think the turbo comment isnt 100 percent fair.

Back