• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Roof Rack on NSX

I build this roof rack for Chris and to test fit I mounted it on my car. This extra space is great to pack up stuff for a road trip. It was a fun diy and below are some dimensions and pictures of the rack. It’s hold on by suction cups to the roof and quarter panels. With my vinyl roof rap it would not work but it was good enough to test fit.

1653556980dbf9c6175e2dc6a7246da3.jpg
0dc247a7f8ff11ee648e69e9732da4bb.jpg
ce09ee4dd820c2e608ca73eb2c5337bb.jpg
4142b78cff87cc8d1f029f6100ef0909.jpg
9c08b3c1f390dac99d58c27e4d196478.png
4ab7da8a81fb586c25ceda10815f26d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree it is an interesting concept but I have to say that looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen strapping a rocketbox on with suction cups only.

Yea, they come a long way with the suction cups. The ones made in usa are pretty solid. On this roof rack we used seasucker but in this setup is untested and outcome is not known yet. Staying positive as it's next to impossible to take out the suction cups with the silicon spray applied. Seen few vids on youtube and on lambo they holdup untill 150mph where the ski box disintegrated but the suction cups stay on the roof. Keeping under highway speed limits should be fine.

Yea, they come a long way with the suction cups. The ones made in usa are pretty solid. On this roof rack we used seasucker but in this setup is untested and outcome is not known yet.

Having litigated many products liability cases over the years I have to say this line is very troubling. Take it for whatever it’s worth but I hope you have substantial applicable insurance coverage.

Wait, you haven’t even tested it at speed and you’re selling to someone else. Ha.

I’m taking Bob’s side one this one.

I would test in a less litigiousness place...like Bangladesh:tongue:

Giving benefit of the doubt, I am going to assume you told Chris that it was not tested so that he takes extra precaution. Let's hope everyone stays safe.

Maybe this is just Version 1 of something great. Keep those gears turning. Maybe Version 2 is in the future.

Question about something slightly different. I would be curious to see how the rear fenders hold up to the forces applied to it. I wonder if it would cause a dent.

Maybe consider a plate that goes along the edge where the metal is stronger? I am talking about the edge where the fender mets the truck lid. Maybe the plate is thin enough to go between the gap, but still strong enough to hold the rack. I understand this might mean the design would require drilling, but maybe at this point the client is committed. The holes could be out of view with the trunk closed? I am just throwing out ideas. I don't know what is under the fender and if the trunk can even open with the plate installed. Nevertheless, keep brainstorming and don't give up. Even good designs can be improved for either functionality or cost.

the best would be to have a hard fastener system to the roof.....easy with the t to modify the removable roof panel ....those sea suckers are pretty strong when the mounting point is flat and smooth.

Interesting idea. Perhaps tie the back into the shock tower mounts?

Stradman on YouTube ran the sea-sucker mounts for months in his Lambo with no issues also some seriously high speed runs, I've been looking at similar setups for going to track days but do have my concerns about them letting go even thought of going swan neck for a big wing and having the rear part of the roof box mounted to that with only two sea-suckers on the roof https://youtu.be/r1hi6f3kyWM

Thanks guys for the feedback, one can't be too safe and I agree as safety there should be last line of defense by fastening it by something. Chris will be using ss wire that will bolt on to the trunk and hatch hinge or fab some sort of a mount from the T top roof like docjohn mention. I personally could not brake loose the seasucker even pooling at different angles. The thing holds on like crazy, it's like glued on once vac engages the surface but with air temperature change, humidity, sun, vibrations etc.. the conditions change and anything is possible. It's also a peace of mind to have a fail safe in place.

Just don’t don’t take the Seasuckers to 175 mph like Damon from Daily Driven Exotics did...did not end well...luckily he was on a remote, empty road when he lost his load.

Just don’t don’t take the Seasuckers to 175 mph like Damon from Daily Driven Exotics did...did not end well...luckily he was on a remote, empty road when he lost his load.
haha the NSX wont do 175mph so we're safe there

A big item like that on top of the car creates a lot of drag. I would be concern if the suctions havr never been put to a real test. Also, the seasucker mounts are for bicycles which are much thinner and less drag

haha the NSX wont do 175mph so we're safe there

Probably not with a box like that on the roof. Without it, I'm not sure 175 mph might not be doable. I've seen a video online of a stock S2000 equipped with a hardtop hit 282 kph. It did appear to be somewhat downhill however. I also know who the driver was. A well working NSX should be able keep pace.:eagerness:

hmmmmm Acura Europa...

For those that are knocking this idea I wouldn't be so hasty, maybe it's not a great product to sell for some of the reasons outlined in case of user error and liability but as a product for the owner maybe with more than 4 suction mounts it's starting to become used more and more, here's a Ford GT with a Nord case on top and these guys wont be going slow, https://youtu.be/XNG8KZaY_w4?t=114

Back