• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you find your production number?

Ira

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I just bought my NSX earlier this month. Something I was curious about was production numbers. I know, from the wiki, how many were made of each color/year, but is there anywhere that has a breakdown of the VIN specifics? The last 4 of the VIN do NOT equate to the production unit for that model year..
i.e. JH4NA21642T000412 would equate to MY2002 and 412/how many made but in 2002 only 246 were made...

Remember the numbers you see in the wiki are us imports not all worldwide production. Considering about 1/2 of production came to the US, I do believe the production number is the last 4 of the VIN.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. That's definitely a good piece of the puzzle. To take it a step further, are the worldwide, year specific production numbers listed anywhere?

Not that I am aware of. I know appox. 8900 came to the US, and I am recalling about 18,000 total production worldwide.

Yeah, that's correct, it is a USDM NSX. It was purchased from Cerritos Acura I believe out of LA in 2002

Odd, I called one of the acura people i know and it returned back as what he called an export car. Meaning it didnt come up the same as any USDM usually do.

do you have the original window sticker that shows the dealer destination?

No. And I've tried numerous times to get a monroney label from acura through my contacts. Apparently the manufacturer can only print them up to 3 years after it's been sold. :(

Last edited:
Actually, the last 6 digits are the production number with the exception of Canada which uses an '8' as the leading digit .. and Europe which also uses a unique digit I believe. All North Americaon NSX's were built in Japan 'exported' to either the US or Canada. I'm not sure what it is you're looking for. The VIN is on the standard VIN tag under the front window .. and the last 4 or 6 digits are also scribed into the sill plate on the driver's door.

Ian, you are correct, the last 6 are, but none of the production numbers should be over 9,999 so I omitted the first two place holders. The USDM production is a set number of however many low thousands examples produced. Each of our VIN's should match up in a sequential order of the US production. Here's an example we did with the s2000 CR production which was extremely limited. See how the last 4 digits of the VIN corresponds to a build number

CR Production Numbers:
2008 CR's
Delete or AC model........................,...........Color ..........Interior ......VIN.....CR #
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Berlina Black Yellow/Black 000007 1
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Berlina Black Yellow/Black 000008 2
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000019 3
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000020 4
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000021 5
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000022 6
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000023 7
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000024 8
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000025 9
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000026 10
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000027 11
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000040 12
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000041 13
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Rio Yellow Pearl Yellow/Black 000042 14
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Berlina Black Yellow/Black 000043 15
Club Racer with A/C & Audio 6 Speed Manual Berlina Black Yellow/Black 000044 16 ...etc

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/863751-official-cr-faq/page__view__findpost__p__21461428

Furthermore, I'm a little surprised no one has started a registry yet for these extremely special and limited vehicles. It might be a good idea to keep track of the cars in a bit more consolidated fashion?

I would be a fantastic addition to Prime to actually have a verifiable Registry for this unique car. This isn't a unique or special idea, most "valuable/classic" cars have this tool to authenticate and document a car's history.

Ian, you are correct, the last 6 are, but none of the production numbers should be over 9,999 so I omitted the first two place holders. The USDM production is a set number of however many low thousands examples produced. Each of our VIN's should match up in a sequential order of the US production.
I think the problem you might be making is that the plant produced cars for worldwide sale and I don't believe that the US had a dedicated production run of VINs and therefore weren't sequential. IIRC, for some years, automatics and manuals each had their own separate VIN ranges.

- - - Updated - - -

A registry was sort of started with this website: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:NSXRegistry but it has fallen in to disrepair. I imagine someone technologically minded could build a nice one with modern tools.
Actually, I created that registry as a subsection of the Wiki. There had been a lot of disagreement as to whether such a registry would be an invasion of owner's privacy and might make it easier for thieves to locate and steal cars. So, rather than get into the trials and tribulations of making it verifiable, I went ahead and started to create one from public 'sightings' such as listings on Prime, eBay, AutoTrader, etc and one that people could volunteer their own information. One of the presumed benefits would be that people considering a car could search on the VIN and perhaps the registry might already have a record of it. However, the task of getting new VINs into the registry became too much work for me .. and even though Lud trialed a project using a data entry person, it was expensive and somewhat error prone to have a non-NSX person keying stuff in. You wouldn't believe how many listings can't even get the VIN correct. Anyway, when Lud migrated the site to new software, he now has a bot which adds some/all eBay listings, which helps. And we discovered that there really wasn't any point in creating registry entries from the Prime listings because if you Google the VIN, it's going to show you any Prime listings and threads about the VIN anyway .. just not in one place. And then Lud locked down the Wiki anyway so that ended any voluntary entries by Prime members. The registry also had a section where we were trying to keep track of salvage VINs as well which were more difficult to track.

It is a big task. I didn't realize the US didn't have a set production run. One of the benefits I guess the CR version had was that it was solely produced for the US market, it made categorizing the VIN's and production fairly easy. Great information provided none the less!

As Larry notes above, there were separate ranges for each market, so there could be one VIN ending in 000222 made for sale in the U.S., and another ending in 800222 made for sale in Canada.

Furthermore, in later years in the NSX production cycle, the last five digits of the VIN were not unique within the U.S. market. As Ian notes above, they had one range for the automatic transmission cars, and a separate, overlapping (i.e. with duplicates) range for the manual transmission cars. Furthermore, in the year when they moved production from Tochigi to Suzuka (2004 IIRC), they had separate ranges for each plant, so there could be up to four cars that year with the same last five digits. Thus, while the cars were produced in order of VIN within each range, there were multiple cars produced with the same five ending digits, one in each range.

Ben is our resident expert on this and I'm sure he'll chime in here too.

The most likely explanation is that the original poster got the sequential production number of his VIN mixed up.

JH4NA21642T000412 is not a valid VIN, the check digit doesn't match up.

The correct VIN for 2002 #412 would have a check digit of 8, with the complete valid VIN being JH4NA21682T000412. And, of course, this VIN was never imported to the US through American Honda as a road going vehicle, according to the American Honda database.

It is a US-Spec VIN also, as Canadian VINs have an "8" in the 12th position, and some (if not all) Hong Kong VINs have a "1" in the 12th position. These were the only three markets where Honda sold the NSX badged as an Acura, as signified by the first 3 positions of the VIN, "JH4"

For cars that left the factory badged as Honda in the other international markets, the first 3 digits of the VIN are "JHM". Furthermore, JDM cars have their own VIN structure, but that's not relevant for the purposes of this post.

The most likely explanation is that the original poster actually has US-Spec 2002 #214.

The check digit he gave in the VIN is correct for #214: JH4NA21642T000214

US-Spec 2002 #214 is a Long Beach Blue Pearl/Blue 6-Speed Manual.

Perhaps the original poster can verify if this matches his car. As a further point of identifying information, #214 would have built in the July/August 2002 timeframe.

Furthermore, a look at the Autocheck for #214 shows that it's first registration was January 2003 in Orange County, which would be consistent with the original poster's statements of it being purchased at Cerritos Acura, with the date being well within the margin of when the original poster said it was purchased, and when it would have been actually registered in the DMV system and reported to Autocheck.

And yes, the US-Spec cars were produced with sequential VINs in set production runs.

Glad to see that the S2000 CR info has been completed. I taught someone over at S2Ki how to get the information a few years back, looks like he's followed through and completed the list.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff guys and thanks Ben for the great insight into our VIN's.

Also i like your signature quote... I'm in the middle of trying to import a car from Indonesia... It's not a FREE country we live in.

Yup, only free so long as you don't interfere with the interests of big business and their lobbies.

Awesome stuff guys and thanks Ben for the great insight into our VIN's.

Also i like your signature quote... I'm in the middle of trying to import a car from Indonesia... It's not a FREE country we live in.

Hey Ben,
Yes you're absolutely correct, it is a US spec VIN and the check digit is a 4 not an 8 for #214. I transposed the 2 and 4. JH4NA21642T000214 is the correct VIN. Do you mind sending me an email? I'd love to ask you a couple questions!
Ira
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back