• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How does it just "die"?

So I am having my NSX towed from Sacramento to Roseville today. It has been running great with no issues overall. A couple weeks ago on the freeway the engine just dies, but since it is in gear and going pretty fast it recovers and starts up quickly. I'm thinking "thats strange".

Today I stop by a shop and when I take off from the parking spot it just dies and I coast back into another spot on the street. No check engine light, almost full tank of gas, but it just will not start. It turns over just fine, but that's it. No other indication of any problem.

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, where do I start looking?

Thanks in advance!

Wayne

The NSX Wiki could be your best friend. Go to the Wiki (off the red action bar at the top of most pages) and under Repairing Your NSX - Engine, you will find a couple of items under "won't start". It will probably save you from plowing through piles of threads

Put me in the Main Relay diagnosis camp.

Happened to me, too. Driving along, nothing abnormal then, nothing. Everything works, engine cranks, but wouldn't start. Left the car to run some other errands and when I came back, it started and ran fine. But such behavior is not confidence inspiring. Would hate to have to leave the car out in a strange neighborhood some night!

Went to "Dr. Wayland" @ Flatiron to see if it had thrown some codes. He said don't bother, there won't be any codes. Replace the Main Relay. Did that and no problems since. Pulled the old relay apart and it exhibits some very shoddy (un-Acura-like) workmanship. Pin-thru solder connections were poorly done and very probably causing intermittent relay contact.

The thing lives on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and is about a 30 minute job. You might even want to pull yours out and inspect the solder joints. I probably could have re-soldered mine and been fine.

Good Luck. Let us know the fix.

Billbert

check your battery connections first.

Same thing happened to me. Going down the interstate and all of a sudden complete engine cutoff -- my lights on the dash did come on - CEL - . Started back up and I carefully drove it home. Took it to the dealer, and it was the Main Relay. Replaced, and no problem since.

Scared the "you-know-what" out of me when it happened - thought the engine came apart or something :eek:

Good luck - let us know how it comes out. Jay

Wayne, hope you got your car fix, hopefully it was a simple fix, please let us know what was the problem for future primer searching.

i just gone thru the same problem but i replaced the main relay assy and ignition switch.then the problem was the starter cable is loose.but that was a (no start issue) so i think i have a working relay now laying around! lol if you want it let me know i can ship it to you! just pay the shipping cost...

Back