• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How fast in your NSX?

155 on a desolate, 30-mile straight stretch of road here in New Mexico. Out here, there's a lot of places to push the top end limits with no worries of killing anyone but yourself.

Rad NSX said:
Just curious if anyone was over 150 mph on the roads in their NSX? How was the handling?

I spent 2 days at 160-165 mph+ at Road Atlanta for the NSXPO 2000. It was awesome. Even got my wife in the car up to 160 mph. Car handled great! It is more scary in the NSX than in my 2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo, but then again with the 996TT I was at Lowes Motorspeedway on the high banks and 168 mph was nothing to the Porsche. After that, I found out that 168+ on street tires on the high banks was an accident waiting to happen. Clearly there are limits to street tires.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best I have ever driven above 160 mph, I would say the NSX is a solid 8. My 1996 Porsche C4S was edged out the NSX slightly at a 9 and the 911 Twin Turbo (996TT) was an 11 out of 10 with stability to spare from the high spoiler at speeds over 75 mph.

Rad NSX said:
Just curious if anyone was over 150 mph on the roads in their NSX? How was the handling?

Maybe it is just me, but I drive around town at 100 mph! :)

The best time I ever had was with my BMW 750iL (V12) with 3 other adults with me and a week of luggage in the trunk driving down to the 1998 Rolex 24 hours of Daytona. We put the 750iL on cruise control for one stretch of I-95 at 150 mph+/- for about 30-45 minutes. We didn't get under 100 for close to 4-5 hours except to stop for gas and food. That is definately the ultimate interstate cruiser for that kind of use (or misuse). :)

Re: Re: How fast in your NSX?

I did almost 320 km/h on the German Autobahn (Highway)

I hit revlimiter in five:mad:

Rear tires 275x35x18

gheba_nsx said:
Above 165 a couple times with my frist NSX in 2000.

Maximum 150 with the silver (but I know somebody from the north pole that drove it faster, true M.? :p ;) ) and 140 with my black.

The older... the slower.

Hi

Well it seems that the older I get the faster I get. Older=more $ to spend on go fast stuff :D

Yes I did above167 Mph when I drove home from Zurich.

The NSX was no problem at that speed. I could have pushed it a little further, but I went into traffic. There were nothing dramatic about it other than the adrenalin rush going throug my vains :)

In summer of 2002 I did 177Mph with my Kawasaki Zx9R throug a tunnel just before the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. I also maxed out the Kawasaki Zxr750 I had before the Zx9R to 170Mph. On track I usually do about 150 Mph with my bike down the main straight at Anderstorp.

Speed was more noticeable on the bikes than in the NSX. I have never driven as fast as I did with the NSX ever in a car. I did 139Mph in my Honda Prelude 2.2Vtec.

In Norway I have not been up to more than 140 Mph with the NSX once for a few seconds. Norway is not a nice country to be caught speeding in. You will get jailtime and a huge fine. :eek: :mad:

Regards

Almost forgot....my 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII was VERY stable at 156 mph for an extended amount of time. :)

G-man said:
I spent 2 days at 160-165 mph+ at Road Atlanta for the NSXPO 2000.
It's impossible to go that fast on the track in an NSX at Road Atlanta, even on the back straight.

The fastest NSXs in the instructor group were doing no more than 140 or so going into the braking zone for 10A/10B.

Viper Driver said:
155 on a desolate, 30-mile straight stretch of road here in New Mexico. Out here, there's a lot of places to push the top end limits with no worries of killing anyone but yourself.

Twenty years ago in NM I received 2 tickets on I-10 one hour apart. Honda wagon, both tickets over 100 mph.

nsxtasy said:
It's impossible to go that fast on the track in an NSX at Road Atlanta, even on the back straight.

I was wondering the same thing.. Been a few since I've been on the track, but if your doing 160, your in the air somewhere over Road Atlanta.

No big deal G-man:D

Last edited:
There is a video out there where some guy mounted a camera on his dash board and video taped his Ferrari's awesome power. I could not tell what kind of Ferrari it was because all you can could see was the speedometer and the freeway up ahead.

I don't know which freeway he was driving on, but he passed up cars like they were going the opposite direction. He hit speeds just above 180mph and maintained that speed for several minutes.

He had video taped this and put it on the internet, I forgot where I watched or downloaded the video from.

If you get a chance to see it, it's amazing how the Ferrari sounds and the acceleration is amazing. Each time he shifts gears the engine roars. If I find that video I will let you guys know. It is truly an adrenalin rush just watching it because he is not on a track but on a freeway with lot's of cars.

You must pick your time to speed carefully on the road when no one is around on a lonely stretch, so as to not endanger others or yourself with lane changing. The NSX seems to be a smooth running "street legal race car"

Thanks for all your replies.:cool:

oh no ,,, This is going to be a simple street race. We are just going to drive to 60mph and then come to a stop.

I am not doing a full blown street race---- to dangerous.
unless we raced on a track.

Yeah I have this all planned out, 0-60 mph is something I do every time when I drive my car. But I don't accelerate hard to get to 60 , but I do make a small amount of effort to get there in 10 seconds or less --

The bad news is that my friend who owns the G35 is going to London tomorrow to visit his mom. He will be leaving tomorrow morning and returning on March 1st. I was planning to race him today-- but the weather started changing. It's raining and the wind is blowing really hard.

I am planning to race him when he returns. I will have the video by then.

I think I saw that video too.
If I remember correctly, that car was an F40
driven by a Japanese guy on Japanese roads.
They say the cops caught that guy by tracking
him down through his internet sales.

Yes! your right! that is the video. I heard the same thing, he was selling the video on the internet and he was caught and got arrested. The evidence --- was the video tape.

I guess if you speed one day without getting caught you can still be found guilty for it months down the road. --that sucks!

Okay, I'm in 155 on a very long road with great sight lines.
Rock steady. Eibachs and koni sports. 18/19 wheels.

120 on my motorbike, same road.
190 shown on a Lambo diablo's speed on Rt. 370 in St. Charles, Mo. That was the fastest I have ever been in a car, I was a passenger.

NetViper said:
146 on a backroad with nothing around. It takes so long to get up there that I am not going to bother trying anymore...

Are you kidding...with the horrible roads we have here. I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is really smooth in some spots. NSXnBRLA (white), Kenny (yellow), and myself (red) cruised at about an average 90 from Kenner to the Sorrento exit. Pretty fun!!:D

This is why I loved the night shift getting out in the wee hours of the morning! :) Never tried to top out the NSX. Saw 110 - 115 several times and it didn't seem like it was trying all that hard. Perfectly stable, wasn't the least bit worried.

Did extended 110 + mph cruising in my brothers VR4 in no man's land Eastern WA. Another vehicle that does it no sweat. My X1/9 is a bit more... exciting... approaching triple digets.

Fastest ever was ~195 mph on the then overgeared Busa. Hit speed in a tunnel then out onto a bridge (second pass after checking surface conditions). Still had all of sixth gear left, but my mind - eyes couldn't keep up with the scenery. Haven't felt the need to try that again either :) Hits 150 usually at the strip, and other bikes I road race do 130 - 160'ish.

Strangely it seems safer on the bike then in the cars. Takes to much tarmac to get a car up to those kinds of speeds. Also as stated before, only a total dumbass would try stuff like that with other cars on the road.

Re: Re: How fast in your NSX?

G-man said:
Maybe it is just me, but I drive around town at 100 mph! :)

The best time I ever had was with my BMW 750iL blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.........We put the 750iL on cruise control for one stretch of I-95 at 150 mph+/- for about 30-45 minutes. We didn't get under 100 for close to 4-5 hours except to blah blah blah blah blah........

Yeah right! And I'm Mary Poppins.

Re: Re: Re: How fast in your NSX?

Hugh said:
Yeah right! And I'm Mary Poppins.

Agreed, that is a bit of a stretch.

I drive on I-95 almost every day. There are ALWAYS cops with radar/laser stationed just about every 5 miles on I-95 from Maine to Miami.

Back