• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is the new NSX supposed to compete with this???

Can anyone execute a high performance car with the even higher expectations?
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/08/future-cars-mazda-next-generation-rx.html

I'm excited to hear that a Rx7 successor is in the works. 300 hp sounds very meager, but I've always been intrigued with the rotary engines. However, this upcoming car is more of a FR-S competitor by the time 2017 rolls around with that kind of power output. I'm surprised they are not integrating turbo or hybrid tech. Perhaps that will change in the next few years.

If Mazda would make a mid-engine rotary, then they would truly have my attention... :cough: Furai :cough:

Honda's ideas have been surpassed and looks out done.
As I said, I'm very happy with the machine we drive but the 2nd generation
does not impress me at all. It's all ready outdated with that Acura TL grill/front.

"The wraps are finally off the LaFerrari. The Prancing Horse's eagerly-anticipated limited-series special, of which just 499 will be built, made its world debut at the 2013 Geneva International Motor Show."We chose to call this model LaFerrari," declared Ferrari's President, Luca di Montezemolo, "because it is the maximum expression of what defines our company - excellence. Excellence in terms of technological innovation, performance, visionary styling and the sheer thrill of driving. Aimed at our collectors, this is a truly extraordinary car which encompasses advanced solutions that, in the future, will find their way onto the rest of the range, and it represents the benchmark for the entire automotive industry. LaFerrari is the finest expression of our company's unique, unparalleled engineering and design know-how, including that acquired in Formula 1."
For Ferrari the development of a limited-series special like the LaFerrari represents an opportunity to experiment with all the technological solutions that will later filter down onto the production cars. Of particular significance in this context is the introduction of the hybrid system which, making full use of the Scuderia Ferrari's F1 KERS know-how, has resulted in a solution that exalts Ferrari's fundamental values - performance and driving thrills. The hybrid technology used, known as HY-KERS, represents the perfect combination of maximum performance and lower emissions. LaFerrari in fact emits just 330 g/km of CO2 but without resorting to electric-only drive which would not fit the mission of this model. The HY-KERS system is, however, designed so that in future applications a car can be driven using exclusively electric power for a few kilometres and, during development testing, a full-electric version of LaFerrari achieved just 220 g/km of C02 emissions on the combined cycle."

Last edited:
I think that the new Acura NSX will do fine against all the competitors - but you have to keep in mind the cost of the car that Acura intends to put out. It will be a pioneer but it will not cost 250 or 300k. It will not directly compete with the new Ferrari at it's price point but that doesn't mean it won't make a statement. Many think that Acura should "dump the hybrid" - I say they should not. If any of you guys have been keeping tabs on the new 918 Porsche Spyder, you will note that it just set a new world record on the Nurburgring Nordschleife of 6 mins. and 57 seconds with what - let me hear it - hybrid technology. Guys it is the wave and whether you like it or not and wonder why Acura would build in Hybrid Tech into their Flagship - well why in hell wouldn't they. Anyone hear about the Yaris with 400 hp - again with hybrid tech .....man...you have to keep up with science and technology or you will be run over! Absolutely run over and look like a retro bozo - Acura is not about to do that with their newest Flagship Sports Car - not no way not no how. They are dedicated to staying on the crest of technology but they surely do need to hurry up before they have to retool and update everything. Technology changes mighty quickly these days doesn't it. Adios guys,..

I think that the new Acura NSX will do fine against all the competitors - but you have to keep in mind the cost of the car that Acura intends to put out. It will be a pioneer but it will not cost 250 or 300k. It will not directly compete with the new Ferrari at it's price point but that doesn't mean it won't make a statement. Many think that Acura should "dump the hybrid" - I say they should not. If any of you guys have been keeping tabs on the new 918 Porsche Spyder, you will note that it just set a new world record on the Nurburgring Nordschleife of 6 mins. and 57 seconds with what - let me hear it - hybrid technology. Guys it is the wave and whether you like it or not and wonder why Acura would build in Hybrid Tech into their Flagship - well why in hell wouldn't they. Anyone hear about the Yaris with 400 hp - again with hybrid tech .....man...you have to keep up with science and technology or you will be run over! Absolutely run over and look like a retro bozo - Acura is not about to do that with their newest Flagship Sports Car - not no way not no how. They are dedicated to staying on the crest of technology but they surely do need to hurry up before they have to retool and update everything. Technology changes mighty quickly these days doesn't it. Adios guys,..

All that use to be new technology without competitive style/looks will only work for those loyal to the name "acura nsx" not real motor heads or guys that appreciate the machine for what it was, is and progressively should be/standard setter. I think most are more disappointed by looks than technology.
Put all that technology in a bel-air body and it won't sell.:smile:

All that use to be new technology without competitive style/looks will only work for those loyal to the name "acura nsx" not real motor heads or guys that appreciate the machine for what it was, is and progressively should be/standard setter. I think most are more disappointed by looks than technology.
Put all that technology in a bel-air body and it won't sell.:smile:

There are plenty on these boards that find the NSX Concept to be rather attractive, granted it could use some minor adjustments like any other car. The new NSX certainly looks better than the R8, C6/C7, GTR and any 911 currently in existence. These are my own opinions, but I believe the general consensus would agree.

Outside of Italian designs, recent late-model exotic & high-performance sportscars don't look all that great in pics. It's a sad reality.

But, on the flip'side in-person they look truly awesome. Examples of this include McLaren's 12C & P1, Nissan GT-R, Audi's R8, Mercedes Benz'es SLS, etc.

And I believe this will hold true for the NSX-Concept. Not that I'm saying it'll be the most timeless of designs out there, but I believe side-by-side w/ others, it'll look like it belongs & have some appreciable design/style deails. Along w/ the fact that Ted Klaus has said the final design (exterior) hasn't been finalized for the production model.

My only other point would be that the NSX-Concept should not be the platform for any polarzing design attribute and/or style element to be implemented. The Power Plenum theme unarguably affected Acura dismally. Lexus L-Finesse was too out there for that crowd. Audi recognized such in their own design philosophy of Scalable Design, and have subsequently changed their design language. The Acura (and NSX-Concept) form-factor definitely look futuristic as well as modern & progressive, which is a good thing. As long as other details aren't forced/kitsched in, all should be well!

Last edited:
If I don't like the looks after seeing it in person, there is no way I'm dropping that much cash on a car regardless of how great it performs.

Never had the "you don't f&%K the face" mindset.....

Last edited:
If I don't like the looks after seeing it in person, there is no way I'm dropping that much cash on a car regardless of how great it performs.

Never had the "you don't f&%K the face" mindset.....

Bwahahahahahahaha rofl

Outside of Italian designs, recent late-model exotic & high-performance sportscars don't look all that great in pics. It's a sad reality.

But, on the flip'side in-person they look truly awesome. Examples of this include McLaren's 12C & P1, Nissan GT-R, Audi's R8, Mercedes Benz'es SLS, etc. .......

Personally, I think the McLaren 12C looks dated. It's a boring design, and the rear end is eighties looking. It has no wow factor, as the market reaction has proven; they are not exactly flying off the shelves, are they ?
The company had to give huge incentives to rid the dealer's lots of the 2012 model. And, thereby hurt owners residuals.
Is it fast? Yes, but I'd rather own a car maybe .2secs slower that looks futuristic and is built better. Those things have way too many issues.
I say bring on the NSX "R" version !!

Personally, I think the McLaren 12C looks dated. It's a boring design, and the rear end is eighties looking. It has no wow factor, as the market reaction has proven; they are not exactly flying off the shelves, are they ?
The company had to give huge incentives to rid the dealer's lots of the 2012 model. And, thereby hurt owners residuals.
Is it fast? Yes, but I'd rather own a car maybe .2secs slower that looks futuristic and is built better. Those things have way too many issues.

I agree that the rear end is very 1980s, but so are some details of the LaFerrari. The MP4-12C is a very conservative approach as far design. Some people like that and some people do not. I didn't mind it personally, but I agree it could have been executed better. The other drawback is the twin turbo V8 exhaust note is not exotic/high pitched as the 458 or V10s.

I think what is also hurting it is the fact that the powertrain is essentially first time ever produced by McLaren. They sort of have to prove themselves in that arena first.

I'm curious where you are getting all the sales and issues info from?

I'm curious where you are getting all the sales and issues info from?

NetViper,
From my personal ownership experience with a brand new 2013MY 12C.

Can't get any more accurate than that. :)

One guy here has one and the weather stripping is falling off the window.

NetViper,
Known issue (windshield surround trim, flapping in the breeze) ..... It's a shame they have so many little annoying problems.
I own a little Honda sedan as a daily run-around car; never had one problem with her ! I am banking on Honda to produce the NSX with very few errors baked in. I know McLaren and Honda have a liaison currently ...... Let's hope no McLaren electronics are involved in the NSX development program. lol. :wink:
NetViper, Do you have a Viper ? I had one previously, myself. :)

He is not the only one on this site that owns a 12c. But he is the only one that has complained of issues.

He is not the only one on this site that owns a 12c. But he is the only one that has complained of issues.

Are you implying that the 12C does not have too many little problems, some dealership issues, and very poor residuals ? If so, I would respectfully suggest you investigate the matter further.
I will admit, I'm not shy about letting the chips fall where they may. ;)

Last edited:
I'm trying to get caught up after being away so don't know if this has been discussed anywhere .. but I would think this bodes well for all those who are hoping for a turbo V6 powerplant: "Honda has confirmed the Civic Type R will be powered by a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged engine with at least 280 HP" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvjLJls864
Acura also has previous experience with the RDX although they've since moved back to NA V6.

Are you implying that the 12C does not have too many little problems, some dealership issues, and very poor residuals ? If so, I would respectfully suggest you investigate the matter further.

Reading your comments on the design, build quality, and declining value of the 12C, I'm curious why you would buy one?
How long have you owned it? Is McLaren fixing the problems?

He has every right to complain. It is always good to hear actual owner experience.

I never said he didn't have a right to complain. Not sure where you saw that. Was just pointing out there are several owners here, but he was the first one to say anything about problems with the 12c. Just seems likely the cars are going to have problems, first run of a very complex machine by a company that has a limited history of building road cars. But they aren't spontaneously lighting themselves on fire like I have read other marques do. :eek:

Reading your comments on the design, build quality, and declining value of the 12C, I'm curious why you would buy one?
How long have you owned it? Is McLaren fixing the problems?

Owned it 11 months. When I bought it, I thought it would be more fully developed after almost two years of builds; I would not have bought it at all if I felt they hadn't fully vetted the car. I loved the performance .... but the design, which I thought might grow on me, did not. I've owned lots of first and second year new high performance and exotic cars; this company is the strangest I've dealt with, however.
McLaren attempts (too slowly IMO to rectify problems), the navigation system has never work correctly and they came out with a replacement unit BUT they want their customers to pay for the entire replacement of the nav. system :mad:, my dealer was lousy, and most importantly McLaren gave trunk money to dealers to rid themselves of unsold cars thereby causing the residuals to plummet. Not happy about that part, at all.
Let's move on ..... this is an NSX forum, not a 12C one. :)

The Porsche is a very competent car ...... However, it's just the same old body style constantly. (And .... I do recognize that the company does not want to change it.)
It makes me chuckle when I see magazine headlines touting: Spied !!! The 20xx Porsche !! .... I always think to myself: 'Gee, it looks just like the 19xx version' ..... :biggrin:

Back