• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much money have you spent on modding your NSX?

nsxtasy said:
If you don't count any of those "consumables" as mods, then my answer is in three figures, for my HID headlights plus the K&N cone air filter that I installed and then reverted back to stock.
you forget the OE-spec Bilstein shocks / dampers :)

Like Andy , I will list the mods.
CTSC 9lb
CTheaders
CTTest Pipes
CTCold air intake
CTOil cooler
CTPGII clutch
CT6sp transmission
4:55R&P
Custom Fuel rails
Thermal Exhaust
Eibach's and Koni's
Ugraded rotors
Stainless Steel lines
Castrol SRF fluid.
Racing Hart M5's
WW complete Kit
Factory NSX bra
2002/3 Trunk lip spoiler
Momo gear shift Knob
Tinted windows
Smartenna

All that and the da*n car is unusable right now, but that's a different thread.

Getting ready to get real sick, in the next few months

;)

nsxtasy[/i] [B]If you don't count any of those "consumables" as mods said:
you forget the OE-spec Bilstein shocks / dampers :)
No, I didn't. If you check my post above, from which that quote is taken, you will see that it mentions shocks among the parts referenced as "consumables".

mods for the younger generation are anything that has been replaced a la import show scene style (this is what it means for people into the scene) youre out of touch if you havent been to any of these type of shows :) not a bad thing just not youre thing ;)

mods include bodykit/bodykit alteration, wheels, wings, interior, stereo, suspension, brakes, lights, alternate hinge designs, airbags, braided lines, engine cosmetics/performance parts internal external.

If you bought a set of upgraded brake pads as then its a mod if you replace the same set over and over it doesnt count 'cos you have already done it.

ajnsx said:
mods for the younger generation are anything that has been replaced a la import show scene style (this is what it means for people into the scene) youre out of touch if you havent been to any of these type of shows :) not a bad thing just not youre thing ;)
Well, you might want to re-read my post, because I didn't take a position that these "consumables" are or are not mods. All I said was that some people consider them to be mods, and other people don't. Which means that maybe I'm not so out of touch, since my posts embraced both views, rather than the parochialism expressed by a small minority who find majority opinion to be "ridiculous". Based on that poll that NSXROX posted, it looks like 6 times more people consider "consumables" like rotors to be mods than prefer the strict definition that the so-called "younger generation" seems to believe. Which means maybe it's the "younger generation" that's out of touch with most folks around here, rather than the other way around. ;) And all I said was that different people define them differently - hardly something to merit the reaction that ensued.

Things on my NSX I know no one else has:

MMC rotors w/ 8 piston Brembo calipers (10,000)
JRZ dampers (3500, Alex V has a set)
Twin Laminova ICs system w/ Fluidyne radiator, SS lines (7,000)
Custom TT setup (15,000)
Billet Ti rods (3500)
3 carbon disc cutch (3,000)
F-355 Challenge wheels (3,500)
Everthing else has been done by others (engine buildup, Motec, seats,etc.)

you may want to reread my post, as you say define mod, this means "make it clear, what is a mod?" meaning you not clear on what a mod is. Hence out of touch. the younger generation are clear on this. the term "mod "used as a discourse in import car YOUTH culture is understood by them.

you only asked for your own clarification what a mod was, meaning you werent sure.

The majority on this board maybe older and not into the culture, the minority are the youth slowly trickling that have been affected by the import car culture and see the nsx as and a few others as the ultimate import car to mod. outside of this board they are definitely the majority. brakes (rotors include an over all package are a mod) as i explained before, if you upgrade your rotors then list as a mod if you had to replace due to wear, you wouldnt really include it as you already mentioned previously.

People define them differently yes which is why nsxrox said a different forum that those who dont know should participate (which i dont believe in, i guess it did sound harsh, people should be educated not ostracised)

Like saying everyone should comform to the few people hiding in a box not acknowledging whats changing around them outside.

:)

nsxtasy said:
all I said was that different people define them differently - hardly something to merit the reaction that ensued.

I would say that if you replaced your rotors/pads/etc. with OEM replacements, these are NOT mods. My (simplistic) definition of mods is something that was added onto the car which wasn't need it in the first place when it left the dealership. :D

ajnsx said:
you only asked for your own clarification what a mod was, meaning you werent sure.
No, that's a wrong conclusion. You appear to have a problem with reading comprehension. Either that, or you don't have a very good sense of logic. Re-read my post. It does not say, "Is this a mod, or not? I don't really know." It says, "Depending on whether you consider this a mod, my answer will be different." And it re-iterates that when it says, "Some people consider this a mod, some don't." That has nothing to do with not understanding what a mod is. Quite the contrary! It has everything to do with acknowledging that not everyone has the same definition of what constitutes a mod. The fact that you still don't seem to understand this - even after I have posted it over and over again - implies that you aren't listening - in other words, you are out of touch.

ajnsx said:
The majority on this board maybe older and not into the culture, the minority are the youth slowly trickling that have been affected by the import car culture blah blah blah
Yes, and it's possible to understand that and acknowledge that by noting that some people look at things with some point of view, and others have a different point of view. Which is exactly what I have done.

Those who are out of touch, on the other hand, have the audacity to not only believe that only one definition is correct, but to believe that everyone else feels the same way. Hence the posting of a poll to "prove" that no one feels that those other changes are mods - when, in fact, the poll proves exactly the opposite - that many people feel that they are mods. And the poll also proves that when NSXROX claims that such statements (that different people have different beliefs) are ridiculous, NSXROX is the one who is being ridiculous.

ajnsx said:
people should be educated not ostracised
Well, that's about the first thing you have said that makes any sense here.

ajnsx said:
Like saying everyone should comform to the few people hiding in a box not acknowledging whats changing around them outside.
Who said that? I didn't say that. I think you are once again making false allegations here, that are just as ridiculous as your claims that I am unaware of the so-called "youth culture" that might have a different view. Anyone who actually bothers to read what I have said - which you apparently still have not done - will realize that acknowledging that there are different points of view is exactly the opposite of "not acknowledging what's changing around them outside".

I think you need to take some time to read what I have posted, and to stop and think about it. You should take the time to be educated - instead of pretending that someone else is "hiding in a box" or making false claims that only you know "what's changing around you outside" when that is not the case at all.

:rolleyes:

apapada said:
I would say that if you replaced your rotors/pads/etc. with OEM replacements, these are NOT mods.
I think that's something we all agree on. If you replace your original rotors or pads with stock rotors or pads, the car is still stock, and is not modded. (Note that I am here considering the term "OEM" in the way it is most frequently used nowadays, to refer to stock parts. There is another definition of "OEM", meaning meeting requirements for Original Equipment Manufacturers, but not necessarily manufactured or sold by the company that made the car - but it tends not to be used in this manner, even though that is the derivation of the "OEM" term.)

apapada said:
My (simplistic) definition of mods is something that was added onto the car which wasn't need it in the first place when it left the dealership.
Well, that's an interesting definition - that something is a mod only if it is changed when a replacement is not needed. It sounds like you are saying that - just to cite one example - if I replace my shocks with Bilstein shocks when they don't need replacing, then that is a mod; but if I replace my shocks with Bilstein shocks when they do need replacing, then that is not a mod. Is that your definition?

Obviously, there are many different definitions - some people consider any use of a part that is not a stock part, to be a mod; some people consider only parts that affect the appearance to be a mod; some people consider only parts that affect the performance to be a mod; and apparently we can come up with lots more definitions. I've even seen people list the fluids they use when they list their mods, which implies yet another dimension to the definition. All very interesting, no?

Well as of today I've spent about $4K on cars to drive while its getting mods. This includes a rental when i got the NSXM turbo and a rental to drive back from PANSX last week and a $1200 Snoop-mobile i bought yesterday. As for the mods themselves, I'm in at least $20K and the meters still runnin . . .

snoopmobile.jpg

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
...and a $1200 Snoop-mobile i bought yesterday. ...

Haha, man, that looks like the car my grandparents had. Is that a Mark IV? I haven't seen one of those in years....

Yeah, believe it or not this actually was a Grannie's car before it fell into the clutches of yours truly! This one actually is the successor to the Mark IV, its a 1979 Mark V. It feels different than an NSX, you guys wouldn't believe it! Honestly though with a little openmindedness I can rationalize driving this car as being a little 'vacation' from shifting and clutching, it really goes straight well!

I am going to say around $45k I still have to get new rims and seats...Its a horrible addiction.

ENGINE
Electromotive Total Engine Control II engine management system
Custom T-04E Turbo kit by Gerry Johnson at Performance Autoworx (Modesto)
JE low compression pistons 9.5:1
ARP rod bolts
ARP head stud and main bolts
Comptech high volume oil pump
Darton Pro Cylinder Sleeves
Ported heads
Aquamist 2d water injection
Aquamist DDS2 flow meter
Summit Racing water cell
Blitz SBC-ID boost controller
Blitz Power ID meter
Blitz Turbo timer
HKS racing blowoff valve
Deltagate II wastegate
Garrett T-04E Turbo
Custom intercooler
RC 680 cc injectors
Denzo racing fuel pump w/braided fuel lines
Dali Racing coolant tank
Dali Racing Polished Injector cover
Dali Racing Polished coil covers
Dali Racing Strut Bar
Dali Racing Wire covers A+B
Polished Alternator
Dali Racing polished fuse box cover
Greddy Oil Catch can
K+N intake filter
DC Exhaust Headers
Honda Type R intake cover
Clutchmasters stage IV ceramic clutch
Spal intercooler fans

AUDIO SYSTEM
Alpine 7996 DVD/CD player
Alpine M760 6.5 inch LCD
Highs: Kenwood tweaters
Mids: MB quartz 6.5 inch
Sub: JL Audio 10-W6
Custom fiber glass sub enclosure
PPI 160 4 channel amp for doors and center channel
Rockford Fosgate 250M amp for sub power
Honda Navigation pod for monitor

BODY
Custom Ferrari Giallo yellow paint by Thai at T+T Autobody (San Jose)
Wings West Front nose
Wings West Side skirts
03 Rear Valence
NSX Type R door badge
NSX Type R door sill plates
Custom center console
White Gauges w/blue background
Stone shield AC screen
Stone shield radiator screen
Honda Badge
Dali Racing dual scoop hood
Custom Engine cover w/screen
Gruppe M short shifter knob
Custom Trunk inclusure with Fans
NSX Type R style side scoops
Ground control suspension
Type R front brace

BRAKES
Dali Racing Steel Braided brake lines (f+r)
Tarox 10 piston big brake kit w/13 inch rotors
Project U brake pads rear
Stoptech rotors rear
Bridgestone s-03 18 (f) 19 (r)

http://www.pansx.com/proy.htm

Turbo NSX said:
I am going to say around $45k I still have to get new rims and seats...Its a horrible addiction.

I guess listing what's left STOCK in your car would have yielded a shorter list... :D

lowellhigh79 said:
Things on my NSX I know no one else has:

MMC rotors w/ 8 piston Brembo calipers (10,000)
JRZ dampers (3500, Alex V has a set)
Twin Laminova ICs system w/ Fluidyne radiator, SS lines (7,000)
Custom TT setup (15,000)
Billet Ti rods (3500)
3 carbon disc cutch (3,000)
F-355 Challenge wheels (3,500)
Everthing else has been done by others (engine buildup, Motec, seats,etc.)
Can you post pictures (or a URL) for your car ??
Sounds like a real beast !! is 1KHP just wishful thinking or just a cool plate ?

i was referring to your first post only nsxtasy my comprehension skills are fine thanks for caring ;)
my whole point was if a young fella was using a word in conversation that you did not understand (ie: asking for clarification) then you are out of touch (no negative connation but it seems as you took it as such) with that particular (in this case car culture) thats all :)

the nsxrox thing is his opinion and the box statement was not aimed at you, just a general comment.

hope this clears it up. :)

Back