• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much time do you spend using PC?

Fct

Contributing Member
I am planning to get a PC and in my search found this promo on Pinnacle products and use of a PC. I was surprised with the time it took to do a 2 foot section. I am sure the results are far better than doing it manually. I was under the impression that the use of a PC would cut my detailing time to an hour or two.

How much time does it take you to detail? Here's the Pinnacle promo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89323lmQ2LI

Man, talk about extra time on your hand! I appreciate the attention to detail and the expertise on the detailing subject but that seems like an all day or two day affair. :eek:

If you were running your car across the stage at Barrett-Jackson or if you paid someone to detail your car, $200+ I would expect this. I have a PC and I do not spend this type of time on it. I can detail my NSX well in about 2 hours, that is wash (twice), wax and polish. I'm sure the video did not do that car justice on what it looked like but that is a lot of time to a vehicle that I am about to take to the streets and dirty right up again.:tongue:

Man, talk about extra time on your hand! I appreciate the attention to detail and the expertise on the detailing subject but that seems like an all day or two day affair. :eek:

If you were running your car across the stage at Barrett-Jackson or if you paid someone to detail your car, $200+ I would expect this. I have a PC and I do not spend this type of time on it. I can detail my NSX well in about 2 hours, that is wash (twice), wax and polish. I'm sure the video did not do that car justice on what it looked like but that is a lot of time to a vehicle that I am about to take to the streets and dirty right up again.:tongue:

Wash twice?
Good point on time spent vs. getting it dirty again.

How much time does it take you to detail?[/url]

It all depends on what you are trying to do. What you are trying to do depends upon the amount of damage the paint has as well as how much time/ambition you have.

In response to your core question, does the time shown in this video seem reasonable, yes. That is the proper way to polish the car. You don't need to polish the car every time you detail it however. To truly take the car down to zero and fully detail it can easily take me 10+ hours of work, but I am a novice.

I'm a fanatic, my cars never need polishing. The PC makes it easier to apply your favorite sealant or wax but doesn't save you much in the way of time. If you're removing imperfections or truly polishing to a clean surface the PC will really save you time with better results than by hand.

Remove cover
Quick detail paint (5min)
Clean glass (5min)
Clean wheels and dress with Vinylex (10min)
PC apply NXT with FINISHING PAD and wipe off (30-40min)
Damp microfiber with water and wipe interior (10min)
Beat out floormats (5min)
Recover

Once 6-8 weeks wash the cover in hot water, two tablespoons or a quick splash of liquid soap, air dry. Vinylex the Ambla interior bits and condition the leather.

I keep the car covered wherever I go unless I'm going shopping. My daily driver also lives under a cover.

Re: What is a PC?????

I know this is going to be very clear afterwards but for the life of me I cannot figure out what a PC is??

either you polish way to fast or have no swirls...

with a PC and to treat my baby right, id spend around 6-8 hours.

and im a professional detailer.. but now of course i use a makita

Re: What is a PC?????

I know this is going to be very clear afterwards but for the life of me I cannot figure out what a PC is??

Porter Cable 7424 or Porter Cable Dual Action polisher. It oscillates instead of spins so it's more paint friendly and easier to learn to use.

Rotary polishers are designed for heavy duty work but with a lot of finesse and the right pad/product selection, they produce the best and more consistant result. Misuse results in consistant swirls and paint defects, ala most dealership hack jobs.

Back