• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to remove cat urine smell?

No, it's not the NSX. It's my wife's SLK230 that the evil cat peed in somewhere. The smell is driving my wife crazy. Any ideas?

I've already thought of: shotgun, cement block tied to the leash and thrown in a lake, and all that sort of approach. I'm looking for a solution involving carpet and chemistry.

That stuff works pretty good. We had a cat for about 2 weeks until she realized the little bastard was spraying about four spots inour house. My wife will also sometimes use white distilled vinager and water in a 50/50 mix then use our wet dry vac to get stuff out.

Good luck. I tried it all in my home before getting rid of the cat.

Had to replace the carpet, pad, and subfloor in my office to get rid of the stench.

Crush the car. I DO NOT ALLOW CATS IN ANY OF MY RENTALS!!! Cats and ferrets will piss anywhere and the smell NEVER goes away.

Crush the car. I DO NOT ALLOW CATS IN ANY OF MY RENTALS!!! Cats and ferrets will piss anywhere and the smell NEVER goes away.

Discrimination, plain and simple. I'm calling HUD. :biggrin:

we've also had some luck with OxyClean. I think the key is for the product to have enzymes.

interesting thread, but to clarify any misconceptions about cats as pets, not all cats spray and pee *anywhere*, nor do they all scratch and ruin furniture / rugs, etc.

we had two maine coon's for ~14 years and they never once - not ever, not no-how - peed or defecated anywhere but in their litter boxes in their entire lives. likewise, they never once - not ever, not no-how - scratched anything in the house but the hemp rope on their cat towers.

we lost our surviving maine 3 months ago this week and several weeks later decided we missed the company of maine's so much that we adopted two of them from a shelter. despite the fact they they had grown up together in a home with cat boxes and plenty of scratching material / posts, we were concerned they would have problems adjusting to our home. in the (nearly) 2 months they've been with us, we've had zero incidents.

what to use to remove cat urine smell? can't say because properly cared for and trained cats don't require the use of urine remover.

we've also had some luck with OxyClean. I think the key is for the product to have enzymes.
oxyclean is the bitchenest product around. i use it in my rug shampooer and - the most amazing application so far - i've used it to take cherry stained bird poop out of some italian statuary in our back yard. uh-mazing stuff!

By the way, for anyone who uses OxyClean or similar product regularly:

That stuff is just Sodium Percarbonate. You can order it in bulk online for FAR less than in branded form at the grocery store.

Amazon carries BioKleen brand, and there are tons of others. Just google it!

By the way, for anyone who uses OxyClean or similar product regularly:

That stuff is just Sodium Percarbonate. You can order it in bulk online for FAR less than in branded form at the grocery store.

Amazon carries BioKleen brand, and there are tons of others. Just google it!
interesting... thx for the tip!

Trust me this works. Get a dog and have it poop on the cat's urine. The area will no longer smell like cat urine, but dog poop instead.

Remove the cat......not a big fan of cats here myself....but I have played with some that are really nice and cool.

Maybe take it to a car detailer and have them try something.

Last edited:
Trust me this works. Get a dog and have it poop on the cat's urine. The area will no longer smell like cat urine, but dog poop instead.

Ok, actually THIS ONE works. Trust me, I know. Everyone has talked about cleaning the stain but odors are a lot more tricky. You can clean the area but you'll never be able to clean ALL of it out because it will have penetrated areas you can't get and it will still smell. You need to treat the odor.

Cliff Notes Version of my story:

Driving some lunch to a client. One dish was a huge 24" x 12" x 8" juicy tray of corned beef and cabbage. It was nearly filled to the top with a salty brine of stewed beef and cabbage juices. Had to make an emergency stop and WHAM, the entire tray gets dumped into the back of my MDX. The entire back is drenched in corned beef, cabbage juice, you name it. It’s in every nook and cranny, completely soaked the carpet through, down every crevice. It was so bad, I actually saw it drip through my car and down underneath on to the road.

Finished lunch and rest of work day. Took the car home and did a major wet dry vac and cleaning job. Pulled as much carpet as I could (soaked all the way to the metal and beyond). The next day, mmmmm yummy car smelled like left over corned beef and cabbage. The day after, started to smell a bit funky; all the while using carpet cleaners, baking powder, febreeze, laundry detergent, air fresheners. Third day, car is nearly unbearable. Smell like a combination of wet dog, sour milk and rotting meat. Have to drive with windows open. I try every trick in the book, more Febreee, more cleaners, more baking powder, more air fresheners. Gets better, but can still smell it.

Finally here’s the trick that works. Overnight, leave open a huge tray of vinegar and close all the windows. The next day car reeks of vinegar, but as the smell goes away, car starts to smell fresh again. Again, another over night tray of fresh vinegar. Car reeks again of vinegar but takes more of the odor away. Eventually, smell goes away completely.

So there’s the trick. If you want to eliminate odors, overpower it with vinegar. As the vinegar smell dissipates, it will take the odor with it. Either that, or it completely destroyed my olfactory glands to the point where I can smell anything at all.

Last edited:
I'd like to second the vinegar approach.

A coworker of mine inherited a heavy smoker's car. This thing reeked.

He did the 'pie pan 1/2 full of vinegar' trick and it worked very well. So well that I did the same thing for my RL. Worked like a champ.

I researched it online and found a suggestion for the house as well: Take a small towel and soak it in straight vinegar. Hang it over the return or intake or whatever so that the suction holds it on (or unscrew the grate and jam it in there). Run the fan only and leave for a little bit.

My g/f had a rabbit. The house stunk. I put the rabbit on Craigslist, ran the vinegar towel trick once, and the house smelled like.....nothing at all. No cover up scents, just NOTHING.

Oh, it does smell of vinegar for a little while, but nothing you can't stand if you just have to be there until it wears off.

I'm going to do it now just for the heck of it.

Eat a bunch of asparagus. Wait an hour. Pee in the carpet. That should cover the cat urine smell. Worked extremely well on the 1994 NSX I just sold.
Steve

After the smell is removed, it's time to pick up one of these and it shouldn't happen again. :biggrin:

greatdanes009.jpg

Back