• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How tricky is it to install headers on the 02+ NSX? Trying to plan ahead...

Rarely do I work on my own car anymore due to time restraints but thinking to give this a shot since I really want to see how these are installed since Cody at LoveFab are having these delivered to me today.

Trying to plan ahead, how much is involved in doing this? Anything to watch out for or special tools needed?

I have a lift and will naturally need to remove my DiFFlow diffuser. Plan to do an oil change while I have the car up as well.

Currently my car is stock except for the GT5.1 bolt on rear exhaust. I'll update this thread with some pics after I receive the header later today but wanted to prepare the garage with all the necessary parts.

thanks and appreciate any advice from the pros :)

remove exhaust, cats, then remove the U shaped rear support, then remove the front support beam under the gas tank, the beam is grey and it has the front Motor mount, remove motor mount bolt/nut, then headers, unplug all 4 02 sensors,

then CUT the front support beam the grey one that was under the gas tank, you will see where you need to cut when the headers are installed, the beam will not bolt up intill it cut, the headers protrude out enough to prevent the beam from lining back up.

you cut about 6-7 inches off the spot welded lip

have fun, if you have air tools time involved about 3-4 hours if you take your time I dont rush anything
also before you start all this spray the header bolts with PBblaster to pre soak them when you finally get to them they should be loose

The rear header is pretty straight forward but the front is not much fun.

Might be a good idea to do the gaskets and maybe new studs and nuts if any get broken.

remove exhaust, cats, then remove the U shaped rear support, then remove the front support beam under the gas tank, the beam is grey and it has the front Motor mount, remove motor mount bolt/nut, then headers, unplug all 4 02 sensors,

then CUT the front support beam the grey one that was under the gas tank, you will see where you need to cut when the headers are installed, the beam will not bolt up intill it cut, the headers protrude out enough to prevent the beam from lining back up.

you cut about 6-7 inches off the spot welded lip

have fun, if you have air tools time involved about 3-4 hours if you take your time I dont rush anything
also before you start all this spray the header bolts with PBblaster to pre soak them when you finally get to them they should be loose

thanks Shawn, I was all smiling til you said CUT! haha

I'm trying to avoid cutting anything - is this normal for any aftermarket NSX header install such as the Comptech or Fuji? I'm thinking I may buy a spare front support beam under the gas tank to cut up if needed but can't seem to find the part online. Is it part of the chassis braces?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it one of the parts in this link:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2004/acura/nsx/nsx-t-trim/6-speed-manual-engine/body-air-conditioning-cat/cross-beam-scat

I never cut anything... and they fit

If any cutting is needed you purchased the wrong headers.

Regards,
LarryB

LarryB is correct.
I installed mine myself.
Much work but no cutting needed!!!!

Shawn

what headers required you to cut? Im curious?

thanks Shawn, I was all smiling til you said CUT! haha

I'm trying to avoid cutting anything - is this normal for any aftermarket NSX header install such as the Comptech or Fuji? I'm thinking I may buy a spare front support beam under the gas tank to cut up if needed but can't seem to find the part online. Is it part of the chassis braces?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it one of the parts in this link:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...ine/body-air-conditioning-cat/cross-beam-scat

Will try and snap a pic of one I already have cut so you guys can see what I am talking about. hard to explain.

but some headers I have installed this is needed, now some have had mm. before they touch anyway will snap photo

that will clear my name LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Will try and snap a pic of one I already have cut so you guys can see what I am talking about. hard to explain.

but some headers I have installed this is needed, now some have had mm. before they touch anyway will snap photo

that will clear my name LOL

part number 6
50250-SL0-020 / BEAM, FR.

<tbody>
</tbody>

If you ever plan on an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, now would be the time to install the fitting.

Ok Here are the pics I normally cut about 1.5 inch from the lip, now why you ask, I hyave had some sets of headers people have brought me to install and I needed to cut this area out to make this beam line up to the bolt heads. dont ask what headers I dont remember.

now in my mind the further any metal is away from a heat source the cooler it is. so with this cut out very easy takes 10 minutes
the header is now even further from this beam, this does not diminish the strength of this beam in anyway.
I hope you guys can see my point of view. anyway thats why I cut this out.

2014-08-19_09-16-03_732.jpg

I wouldn't cut the beam.
I'm not an engineer but the shape and construction of the beam would have been subjected to stress and load analysis
The Honda engineers went to great pains to make everything on our cars smaller and lighter.
They knew where the exhaust was when they designed this piece and it gets in the way of servicing the exhaust headers, changing the A/C compressor and so on.
If they could have made it smaller and lighter I think they would have.

if you have ever held one you would see how it was made cutting this WILL not hurt the integrity of the beam

depending on the headers he may not have to cut.

this beams only real reason is to hold the front motor mount to the chassis

Do not cut front beam. See post #6 . Get the correct part. Cutting the beam is a not a good idea.

..............and don't cross the streams........:biggrin:

Ok Here are the pics I normally cut about 1.5 inch from the lip, now why you ask, I hyave had some sets of headers people have brought me to install and I needed to cut this area out to make this beam line up to the bolt heads. dont ask what headers I dont remember.

this does not diminish the strength of this beam in anyway.

I hope you guys can see my point of view. anyway thats why I cut this out.

View attachment 115805

Shawn,
You are a great Guy and normally provide good advise, however, in this case you are wrong. Take a carefull look at the beam, and you can see this would be the most stressed part of the beam, because this is where the engine is mounted to and will get the most stress during acceleration or when the torque of the engine is at the highest.

To the OP, whey don't you get headers that fits?

Bram

Last edited:
I think I am gonna take this beam tomorrow put it on some bricks at each end

and use a forklift to try and bend this beam or do you guys want me to pile a ton of steel on top of them.

lets have some fun tomorrow so you guys tell me what you want me to put in the center to try and bend it......

will that finally clear my name?

- - - Updated - - -

check this thread tomorrow by noon and I will have the results for the GOD knowing NSXPRIME collective.

all entries for what I put on top of it to try and bend it has to be submitted on this thread by noon tomorrow and it cant be something I don't have, like gold bullion, or strippers, fat chicks,

Deal...... lets hear them ideas guys

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO the item or items you guys pick cant weigh more than the total gross weight of an NSX.

stay tuned

Back