• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How tricky is it to install headers on the 02+ NSX? Trying to plan ahead...

Oh great. Another hijacked thread that revolves around how offended 110975 is and how no one respects him. :rollseyes:

Last edited:
Pbassjo.
You say baloney. Why don't you unedit your posts and show the challenge you had posted to Shawn a couple nights ago?

I hope you are proud of yourself

Pbassjo.
You say baloney. Why don't you unedit your posts and show the challenge you had posted to Shawn a couple nights ago?

I hope you are proud of yourself

It's a car, a car that we love but, it is a car. If we have a great example it does not by association make us great. The quote is not "my soul doth magnify the NSX".

I have not staked out any turf here. I am not trying to be anyone's NSX repair man or get people to bring me their NSX. Every NSXPO tech session I have ever participated in I start by saying that I was there to help the attendees learn enough to identify and find a competent shop right where they live that will repair their car well. I was not there to be their shop of choice.
Regardless, a few made the extraordinary effort to come to my shop. Some of the distance traveled astonishes me. I try to make them friends not just customers. I am grateful for their trust.

I have no problem with Shawn or anyone here but on the subject of car repair I reserve the right to challenge anyone and expect to be challenged as well. You don't like my input or my posts? Block them and be happy.

Give it up. Stop beating a dead horse and trying to incite.

Last edited:
thread was not hijacked read thru the whole thread ( eyeroller )

but dead horse this is............. mods lock thread and restore deleted posts

Pbassjo
With all due respect you are a hypocrite and delusional. You attack Shawn for years, then this thread you challenge him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember, later edit your posts, and then say that others are trying to incite and you have no issue with him. We can read and comprehend, you put your thoughts, attacks and challenges for all to see and then removed them.

I do know this if I lived back east and needed body work for my car I personally would not even consider pbassjo based on the unwarranted attacks. I would stear clear of doing business

Then that would be your loss. Joe is one of the most talented body guys in the business and has done more nsxs than probably any shop in the country. Most importantly, although joes knowledge and talent gets well deserved recognition, the fact that he genuinely is concerned about his customers and is the most honest shop owner I have ever met is something that is all to scarce in life in general.

It certainly is your prerogative to use anyone you like to repair your car but you would only be spiting yourself. And, yes, in full disclosure I admit joe is a good friend of mine and I am proud to say i will defend his honor and reputation without hesitation.

Pbassjo
With all due respect you are a hypocrite and delusional. You attack Shawn for years, then this thread you challenge him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember, later edit your posts, and then say that others are trying to incite and you have no issue with him. We can read and comprehend, you put your thoughts, attacks and challenges for all to see and then removed them.

you obviously have some longstanding "issues" with Joe.For the record many of us poke fun at Shawn...along with Dave and a few others...but that is because they are prolific and rather transparent...both endearing internet traits........

thread was not hijacked read thru the whole thread ( eyeroller )

but dead horse this is............. mods lock thread and restore deleted posts

It's exactly what a hijacked thread is - it departs from the original intent in a ridiculous way. And your misspelling, sentence structure, and punctuation are as bad as ever. The written word means something and what you're communicating is not professional or positive in any way.

didnt take long for the grammar comment LOL

I coulD kare,..! L3ss? AnD 1m Kool with iT,.! :biggrin:

I respect Joe bottom line and if I was local to him I would def have him fix my NSX if it needed it.

and yes everyone pokes fun at Shawn its OK makes me stronger

why is this thread still active? Mods I know its the weekend but.... lord stop the madness.

but whats funny is these kinda threads happen every so often then its back to normal.

have a good weekend guys have some fun, go drive your NSX...!?, &?.

- - - Updated - - -

the last three threads like this were spaced apart pretty good,

that kid that his GF's dad was gonna give him an NSX shipped from germany,

then Tamoski returns,

now this one its all good guys

this is nothing compared to those beauties......but you entertained more than a few with your nsx on beam pics

Doc john

I have no longstanding issues with pbassjo. I actually have no issue with him right now either. If you look you will see another thread where he is asking for help and I'm trying to help him. However if you had seen the over the top attacks at Shawn that he has since deleted you would see that he was bullying Shawn. I would come to the defense of almost anyone if they were being bullied

Last edited:
understood ,he often deletes some of his best work, btw Joe's sense of humor could be viewed as such by those who don't know him.....as can anyones......Do tom.

No question now that this CUT I made does not hurt the strength of the beam..........

backyard this..

- - -

Shawn!!Dude!! Last time I saw a move like this was on Kung Fu Panda! Spreading eagle is impressive.
Dont' worry. I have heard:

"Mixing West coast offense with East coast offense is never gonna work.....John Madden"

Last edited:
This cross member is not primarily for engine support. One of the rubber filled motor mounts does mount on it but the important function it provides is being overlooked as I will explain.
The arch shape is for vertical load. The potential for changing vertical load is not why I feel it is a bad idea making the cut suggested.
What the cut could compromise is torsional load. Keeping the side members on the same plane and providing planned geometry for the suspension. This cut could weaken that. This bar completes the cradle that the front, side and rear cross member/suspension members create.
The setting of a weight in the center does not address this. It might as well been a taste test.
That is why I poked fun at it and when Shawn asked for suggestions, my replying to hold it over his head and let go, was exactly that. I was kidding him.It never occurred to me that he or someone else, might think I wished him harm. I did not.
Shawn, please don't drop a beam on your head.
I don't want you to be hurt. (I can't believe I actually have to reply to this)

I have seen NSX's come in my shop with front cross-member end bolt(s) that were missing, for whatever reason, and it did effect the rear suspension under corner load. One car had a high speed accident resulting in loss of control and crashing on the side the bolt was missing. Torsional load manifesting in a unplanned manner is my concern. I believe cutting this lip could change how torsion load is managed under extreme conditions such as high speed cornering.

This thread reminds me of another thread one that proposed removing the front bumper beam to reduce weight. I warned about that because that too provides strength, support and keeping the front side members on the same plane. At that time that thought brought down upon me the ire and criticism of many people.

I brought this topic of removing the front bumper reinforcement up with Mr. Urehara over dinner when some of us went to LeMan France. Now bear in mind, this fellow Mr. Urehara, tried his best to make the car as light as possible. In Orlando when someone asked what would he change about the NSX if he had to do it over he replied "I'd make it lighter".

When I asked him during dinner about removing the front reinforcement to lighten the car, something I knew was a bad idea, he looked at me very surprise and said that that was not something that should be done. That there were other safer ways to make the car lighter and to find something better to do than that. That smarted getting that curt answer, but it was a stupid question because I knew the answer, so I had it coming.

It is very likely that Mr. Urehara will attend another NSXPO someday in the future. When and if he does ask HIM what he thinks about cutting this beam to fit the wrong header. I hope I am there because I think I know what he is going to say.
"Get the right part".

Now in the real world, will cutting this as shown cause a serious problem? Probably not.
FYI, I-Car definitely says it's a no-no. They also maintain that a beam of this function, if damaged should not be repaired or straightened that it should be replaced.

Go ahead. Cut it. You'll probably never feel a thing. As someone else pointed out the car is most likely over engineered and it would not be a problem.

Not me though and absolutely not for a customer. No way.

Why I don't post with the frequency of the past is simple. They stopped making the car and there is very little to be said that not already been said.

I don't wait for Shawn. Sheeze.
Most of the time, when I see something that doesn't make sense, someone else has caught it, so I don't chime in. To suggest I'm out to get him, well, that is stupid. Why would I want to do that, I don't know. Believe what you want.

In the future, if Shawn is in the thread I will be very careful not to contradict anything he puts forth. I'll pass. I'll stay out. No skin of my nose.
I certainly won't kid with him again. I don't want to be responsible if he takes me seriously and hurts himself.:smile:(I doubt he would)

Now before I sign off I have one last thing to say and that is to SoCalx: The vent in your OEM NSX-R Hood, the opening, left and right sides are not symmetrical in distance and angle to center. None of them are. Stop being angry at me about pointing it out. It really doesn't matter, the hood is GREAT, but this anomaly is a fact.:wink:

Last edited:
Now this is a response that would have put all this to rest on page 1 of this thread, do you see how your knowledge can help others, and I would have not had to put my NSX in danger if it bent, or slipped off the beam 3 feet off the ground LOL

I emailed RSO and told him after that I was so scared it would slid off and damage my baby.

I knew you were joking about dropping the beam on my head that's why I replied with the plane ticket post and then a smile.

with what you posted I will stop cutting the beam on future NSX's knowledge is power and you have enough to share.

your still the master :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

and no need to sugar coat anything because of me continue on I learn quickly. sparks are better than fizzy

your still the master :smile:

No Shawn I'm not. I've made more mistakes then you have and probably ever will. I try to remember WTF I did wrong and try not do it again. I'm still making them and thinking "Ooooo, I won't do THAT again!"
My advantage is the number of smart people that I have and still work with and knowing how to recover from mistakes. I get to learn from them and they stop me from doing too much wrong.:redface:

Uh oh. I'm getting the delete urge again.

Last edited:
Nice to have you back.....wise guy:wink:

Thank you pbassjo for the explanation that, like Shawn said, was what at least some of us wanted. I appreciate your willingness to take the time. And the whole drop-it-on-your-head thing was obviously a good-natured joke from the beginning. But without at least the essence of the explanation you just provided, your approach was obtuse, at best.

One more thing: your comment about the bumper beam is an outstanding example that has long been on my mind as people remove theirs. It does seem, however, that replacing parts with properly engineered carbon replacements would be a good approach to lightness. Unfortunately, the market cannot support a properly engineered approach.

Last edited:
Pbassjo
This is a joke

-You attack Shawn for years and let your emotions take over so bad in this thread that later you are so embarrassed you delete your posts
-then to someone try to add credibility you tell us about how your too are stupid and asked the nsx designer a dumb question.
- then To top it off you now insinuate that the reason I'm saying anything is because you posted years ago that the oem nsxr hood is not symmetrical at the vent and that instead of me posting because you are a bully that has removed his posts, I must be posting because of that comment years ago?

To be clear
1) you were right in this thread technically but YOU decided to cross the line and bully Shawn in this thread. (What else would you call telling him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember - your challenge ) You have wanted to knock him down for years. I got tired of the attacks when you told him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember.
2) don't flatter yourself by thinking that I or anyone else cared about your opinion that the oem nsxr hood wasn't symmetrical. That hood and that car were PERFECT to me. I have long since sold them both btw. since you don't seem to understand that you opinions are just opinions and others take then as such, It is like if I told you I think the color of your nsx was not the best for the car would that bother you? I think not, even you would think in your opinion the car looks great in the color of your choosing, and not car it i thought another color was better. That is how I took your symmetrical comment.

My friend I still have no issue with you, but I do think you need to really think about all of the emotions you have caused yourself with the bullying, and rationalizations you make about why people (me as an example) are behaving in this thread.

I can sum it up in three sentences. You were being a bully to Shawn with your challenge to hit himself over the head with the crossmember (and you thought you were smart and funny)...end of story. You later thought about it and knew you had gone too far and deleted your posts. The story should stop there instead of trying to explain away others reactions to your hot headed and misguided comments.

Pbassjo
This is a joke

-You attack Shawn for years and let your emotions take over so bad in this thread that later you are so embarrassed you delete your posts
-then to someone try to add credibility you tell us about how your too are stupid and asked the nsx designer a dumb question.
- then To top it off you now insinuate that the reason I'm saying anything is because you posted years ago that the oem nsxr hood is not symmetrical at the vent and that instead of me posting because you are a bully that has removed his posts, I must be posting because of that comment years ago?

To be clear
1) you were right in this thread technically but YOU decided to cross the line and bully Shawn in this thread. (What else would you call telling him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember - your challenge ) You have wanted to knock him down for years. I got tired of the attacks when you told him to hit himself in the head with the crossmember.
2) don't flatter yourself by thinking that I or anyone else cared about your opinion that the oem nsxr hood wasn't symmetrical. That hood and that car were PERFECT to me. I have long since sold them both btw. since you don't seem to understand that you opinions are just opinions and others take then as such, It is like if I told you I think the color of your nsx was not the best for the car would that bother you? I think not, even you would think in your opinion the car looks great in the color of your choosing, and not car it i thought another color was better. That is how I took your symmetrical comment.

My friend I still have no issue with you, but I do think you need to really think about all of the emotions you have caused yourself with the bullying, and rationalizations you make about why people (me as an example) are behaving in this thread.

I can sum it up in three sentences. You were being a bully to Shawn with your challenge to hit himself over the head with the crossmember (and you thought you were smart and funny)...end of story. You later thought about it and knew you had gone too far and deleted your posts. The story should stop there instead of trying to explain away others reactions to your hot headed and misguided comments.

How precious. Bullying. Right.

BTW in a prior post you said
If you told me to do what you publicly challenged Shawn to do, i would have done much more then Shawn did. I would not have said anything, it would be time for action

What exactly does that mean? "It would be time for action"?
What "action" did you have in mind? Please explain.:confused:

What did you mean by that?

Last edited:
Pbassjo
My point was that Shawn is taking your bullying a lot better then I would
Regardless I have said what I think needed to be said. It looks like Shawn has moved on, looks like you have moved on, let's get back to our regularly scheduled program.

btw you have some good advise from me and others in the social security thread.:smile:

If you told me to do what you publicly challenged Shawn to do, i would have done much more then Shawn did. I would not have said anything, it would be time for action

Gee Tom, that sounded like a threat to me. I guess that's how they do it in SoCal and I do believe I'm getting the vapors.:eek:

You like to twist more than Chubby Checker.

Last edited:
I can sum it up in three sentences. You were being a bully to Shawn with your challenge to hit himself over the head with the crossmember (and you thought you were smart and funny)...end of story.
nsx

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0OnpkDWbeJs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

..... I guess that's how they do it in SoCal and I do believe I'm getting the vapors.:eek:

Hey Hey Hey...Its 6am and I woke up to this?....take it easy Joe. I live in SoCal too. Tom gave me bunch of advise as well and I consider that special cuz I wish I have what he is taking. How do you spell because again?

So sorry S4Play.

Last edited:
Back