• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How would you respond to this comment on the NSX?

I've gone white. Micheal Jackson style.
thefinger.gif

BladesNSX said:
Hey Brian,

Discounting the fact that the rebel flag was proudly flown while slaves were raped, killed, etc. as well as the aftermath of the civil war, you think I can go muddin', hunting, fishing with your boys?

Or, would they not totally appreciate the company of a half black Jamaican bwoy like me?

Are you being serious? We have no problem what-so-ever with black people...you'd be more than welcome!!! Whatcha got to mud in? I usually tag along in my buddies '76 Jeep with a 6" body lift and 35 in mud tires with a 5.0 302 mustang motor :) it's a sick ass mudder!

Anyways i'm buyin myself a Foreman or a Polaris and a banshee soon to have some fun with :)

The rebel flag has changed though...it doesn't mean everyone who flies it is racist, nor does ever racist fly the rebel flag :)

Last week, I was eating Chinese with chopsticks in my hand when a guy, who had just finished eating his with a fork, came up to me and said with a smile, "I can't get over how you guys can eat with those."

He caught me off-guard so I just smiled. All the while I was yelling in my head, "ASSHOLE!!!!!"

I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but still.
Anyway, totally OT but thought I'd just throw that in there.
I'm not a stranger to racism.

Discounting the fact that the rebel flag was proudly flown while slaves were raped, killed, etc.

Wow.
And I thought that the original statement was ignorant.
Noone is defending slavery here. But to associate the people of the South who lived under that flag as rapists and murderers is nothing short of ignorant slander.
Here's some breaking news for you: not everyone in the South held slaves; this was the province of the aristocracy, not Johnny Reb who was simply defending his land (figuratively) and family.
Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how this situation can be as the genesis of slavery was under the United States flag. You might ask yourself how many people were raped and murdered under this flag as well. BTW, I do recall learning of a more recent occurrence in our country involving the inhuman acts of the imperialist Japanese who tortured and imprisoned our soldiers as well as used them for slave labor as well. Have you ever heard of the Bataan Death March, or was this conveniently deleted from your education in order to allow more space for discussion of the evil South.
We managed to get over that one and move on. The fact that there are living survivors of these atrocities makes it a tad more relevant, unless you wish to enlighten us as to the vast network of freed slaves you are aware of.
Just a friendly suggestion, take the chip off of your shoulder and set it aside. Get over it. Slavery is over but apparently there is no shortage of victim-wannabes trying to inculcate a sense of guilt on those from the south for actions which they never took part in. We can forgive the Japanese for their heinous actions and even now celebrate the fruits of their labor vis a vis this forum.
Perhaps you can do the same, perhaps not.

I don't get how some of you guys are all taking this so personally....

I'm sure the guy didn't mean to insult you or anything, it was moreso shock.

I'm asian, but I'd have the same thoughts in my mind if I saw an asian person driving a Viper.
It's just that the guy probably didn't expect it, and doens't see it often. I'm not saying that his stereotype is correct, far from that, but I'm saying that we live in a world where people do have stereotypes.

EndLeSS said:
I don't get how some of you guys are all taking this so personally....

I'm sure the guy didn't mean to insult you or anything, it was moreso shock.
Maybe he didn't mean anything by it, but we weren't there to make the judgement call. Prescott was there, and obviously he perceived it as more than just a harmless comment or he wouldn't have posted here.
EndLeSS said:
I'm asian, but I'd have the same thoughts in my mind if I saw an asian person driving a Viper.
I might think so too, but that's because statistically there are less Asians in the US, and therefore you would expect to see fewer of them in any kind of car (nevermind the exotics). This guy's comment implied (to me) that it's unnatural for a non-Asian to drive an Asian-made car. What else could he have meant? It's not like NSXs are known to be owned primarily by Asians in the US. If anything, we're probably in the minority. My $0.02.

PHOEN$X said:
Maybe he didn't mean anything by it, but we weren't there to make the judgement call. Prescott was there, and obviously he perceived it as more than just a harmless comment or he wouldn't have posted here.

I might think so too, but that's because statistically there are less Asians in the US, and therefore you would expect to see fewer of them in any kind of car (nevermind the exotics). This guy's comment implied (to me) that it's unnatural for a non-Asian to drive an Asian-made car. What else could he have meant? It's not like NSXs are known to be owned primarily by Asians in the US. If anything, we're probably in the minority. My $0.02.

Ok, you got me on the first part, but I'll answer the 2nd part for the sake of being the devil's advocate. Mind you I get your points, and I agree with you. I'll continue for the sake of continuing.

Granted you are probably correct (I haven't been down to the US in a long time, and as far as I remember, most of the asians are in the larger cities...I didn't check where prescott's location was), but how come every few months the thread of "Women NSX drivers" come up?
Statistically speaking, I would assume that there is roughly a 50/50 ratio of men to women in the US, but why is it implied that it is so special that there are women NSX drivers? Women still like sports cars, that's a fact. It's not unnatural for women to drive and like sports cars, but every once in a while, a thread like this is brought up.

I think what the guy's comment meant that it's unnatural for a non-asian to drive a Asian-SPORTS car. Sports car is what defines it, imo, and that's what I think what the guy meant.

Back to my point about women NSX drivers... the main point of my post is to state that EVERYONE has preconceptions and stereotypes, as slight as they may be. We have the preconception that it's surprising to see a woman driving an NSX.

The guy who said that had an incorrect preconception, but I personally don't find it worth the staggering amount of insults.

EndLeSS said:
Statistically speaking, I would assume that there is roughly a 50/50 ratio of men to women in the US, but why is it implied that it is so special that there are women NSX drivers?
I don't know how the demographics of NSX drivers compares to the general public. But if you consider the user population on NSX Prime, the vast majority of the members are male. In fact, I can only think of a handful of female members off the top of my head. Therefore, it is rare (i.e., special) to encounter a female NSX driver, if you use this board as a basis for your data sample.
EndLeSS said:
I think what the guy's comment meant that it's unnatural for a non-asian to drive a Asian-SPORTS car. Sports car is what defines it, imo, and that's what I think what the guy meant.
Why should it be unusual for a non-Asian to drive an Asian sports car? Did Honda in some way target Asians when it exported the NSX to North America? So according to your logic it would be perfectly okay for me to tell a black person, "geez, how weird, I've never seen a black guy in a Ferrari", simply because he's not Italian?
EndLeSS said:
The guy who said that had an incorrect preconception, but I personally don't find it worth the staggering amount of insults.
I disagree. I think it's racial profiling, anyway you look at it.

'racial profiling'?! c'mon. If it was a cop pulling you over maybe.

read jane austen's "pride and prejudice". classic novel that deals with the concept of prejudice as 'pre-judging' and preconceptions. (not about racism).

We all look at others and compare from a similar/dissimilar perspective---some unfortunately look for the differences more than the similarities. And more unfortunately some people do it based on race and what you drive.

huckster said:
'racial profiling'?! c'mon. If it was a cop pulling you over maybe.

read jane austen's "pride and prejudice". classic novel that deals with the concept of prejudice as 'pre-judging' and preconceptions. (not about racism).
Fine, I'll concede I might have used the wrong technical term, but would you define "stereotyping" or "pre-judging" as generally positive, or negative, behavior? That was my point.

i actually think it is more complicated than that. The major literary theme from the book i referenced was that we all look at others from a comparative standpoint, looking for similarities and differences. Some look more for common ground within others, while some tend to categorize the differences.

Those whose world focus is on the differences tend to be prejudicial and oftentimes even racist.

Jane Austen's point which i agree with is that we all compare ourselves to others, and that is how we in fact define ourselves. Only in realizing this to be our nature, can we choose to look for similarities and not differences, and as result avoid the preconceptions and prejudices which reduce our world and isolate us from the potential common ground we all walk on.

The biggest bigots and mass murdering despots all share similarities to you and I, as abhorrent as that may seem. The conscious or unconscious choice they have made to see only the differences in others identifies their difference from us. They lack empathy.

huckster said:
Jane Austen's point which i agree with is that we all compare ourselves to others, and that is how we in fact define ourselves.
It's one thing to compare ourselves to others, it's quite another to generalize about someone because of his/her physical attributes, no? I mean, at least that's what my parents taught me. If they were wrong, please enlighten me. I would love to know when it is socially acceptable to verbally typecast someone due to their ethnicity.

QUOTE]Originally posted by PHOEN$X
I don't know how the demographics of NSX drivers compares to the general public. But if you consider the user population on NSX Prime, the vast majority of the members are male. In fact, I can only think of a handful of female members off the top of my head. Therefore, it is rare (i.e., special) to encounter a female NSX driver, if you use this board as a basis for your data sample.

Why should it be unusual for a non-Asian to drive an Asian sports car? Did Honda in some way target Asians when it exported the NSX to North America? So according to your logic it would be perfectly okay for me to tell a black person, "geez, how weird, I've never seen a black guy in a Ferrari", simply because he's not Italian?

I disagree. I think it's racial profiling, anyway you look at it.
[/QUOTE]

The guy had an INCORRECT perception that NSX drivers are mostly asian. It's not racial profiling, it's just an incorrect stereotype in his mind.

I'm not saying that his statement his correct; his statement is incorrect in the 2 ways: that it's a prejudged view on non-asians in asian sports cars, and incorrect in that going by the numbers that the majority of NSX drivers are non-asian.

I never said that it is correct to say that, I'm saying that that was probably that guy's perception.

Back the the women NSX part. Athough it IS correct that there are less women NSX drivers, it is "special" because we know this by general fact. To the public however, this should NOT be percieved as special, because according to women/sports car ratios would be a lot more equal.

Side note: I read Pride and Prejudice over 7 years ago...I guess I was too young to appreciate it back then.

Originally posted by EndLeSS
his statement is incorrect in the 2 ways: that it's a prejudged view on non-asians in asian sports cars, and incorrect in that going by the numbers that the majority of NSX drivers are non-asian.

I never said that it is correct to say that
Then I guess we're in agreement.

i never said that it was ok to stereotype based on something as simple as color or ethnicity. quite the opposite. the point of the post is that we all do in fact stereotype(or rather that was Austen's point which i was using). I consider it ignorant to use color or ethnicity to stereotype. But i also think it is difficult to judge someone based upon an offhand comment. If someone said "i never saw a young punk in a car like this" you might find it amusing or even flattering. Unless you know the person the true intent and context can be confusing. Much like I think you misunderstood the theme of my initial post. And Austen's point would be that you formed a preconception of that person while trying to accuse them of the very same thing.

Back