• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How would you respond to this comment on the NSX?

huckster said:
i never said that it was ok to stereotype based on something as simple as color or ethnicity. quite the opposite. the point of the post is that we all do in fact stereotype(or rather that was Austen's point which i was using). I consider it ignorant to use color or ethnicity to stereotype. But i also think it is difficult to judge someone based upon an offhand comment. If someone said "i never saw a young punk in a car like this" you might find it amusing or even flattering. Unless you know the person the true intent and context can be confusing. Much like I think you misunderstood the theme of my initial post. And Austen's point would be that you formed a preconception of that person while trying to accuse them of the very same thing.
Excuse me, there's a BIG difference between judging someone based on what comes out of their mouth, versus what the color of their skin happens to be. Do you seriously believe it's the same thing? :eek:

On the one hand you claim it's not okay to stereotype based on something "as simple as color/ethnicity", yet on the other you dismiss it as an "offhand comment." Which is it? :confused:

Does anyone else think I'm the hypocrite here? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
k i can't believe you guys pulled off a Jane Austen "Pride and Prejudice" and Different Strokes "what cha talking about Willis?" in this thread....

but with the different opinions expressed here.. it is starting to make me think about what his true intent of his comment was...

Look, i think (phoenix) that we both agree it was a stupid comment. And i'll agree that my posts may have been overly philosophical.

If someone said something like that to me, I dont think I'd know enough about that person to be offended. I've had much worse said to me, and have been able to get beyond the conflict by talking with the person and getting beyond their stupidity into why they are stupid.

Real life example---a client says to me that i'm not approving his deal because i'm white and he's black. "if i were white you'd approve this deal". He expected different treatment based on prejudice. In our discussion we got down to why he expected that, he'd percieved this before from other providers, and now assumed the same from me.

Since that we''ve had a lot of successful business transactions, and consider ourselves friends.

HIS experiences caused him to prejudge my reasons for denying his deal. If i had responded in a similarly prejudicial way, we'd both walked away bigots and convinced our prejudicial views were correct based upon that very experience. I chose to change the experience.

Really? Please elaborate.

There is/has been racism in Japan. Historically the Ainu people (indigenous people of Japan) have and still are being treated poorly on account of their ethnicity.

The Korean population as had the same problem. Meaning some rights and privliges are not afforded to them.

In regards to foreigners in general, recently there was a lawsuit pending against an onsen (hot bath) operator who had a sign outside his workplace saying no foreigners allowed.

Getting an apartment is very difficult as foreigners are perceived to cause trouble/be noisy and trash apartments.

I've been told the government/media like to report foreign crimes in Japan out of context to highlight the problems foreigners cause.

Another case recently reported at the daily yomiuri (japanese newspaper in english) of a teacher telling a student he had 'dirty blood' (because his grandfather was American) and that he should kill himself, a lawsuit is/was pending but the local government backed the teacher!
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index-e.htm

A friend in another town is repeatedly told to go home (although it was from local hoods)

At the recent world cup held in Japan (2002) a government member asked who would pay for the abortion bills after the foreign visiters come and rape 'their' women.

On tv the week before last, a Canadian women told of her experience to Japanese children of being spat on (at least once a month) and verbally abused.

It is quite prevelant here but is usually hidden in the system.

I personally have had this happen only once or twice (except for legal stuff) generally the people are great, but its interesting/saddening to be on the other side of the coin.

Last edited:
I remember watching a History Channel documentary recently chronicling Japanese war crimes. Although the Nuremberg trials were quite public and the public was familiarized with Himmler, Goebbles, Goerring and their ilk, I would venture to guess perhaps 1 person in 1000 knows the names of their evil counterparts in Japan. The Imperial Empire of Japan possessed a belief that they were superior to the Americans and that it was preordained that they would make the Americans their slaves. Most of the evil ones were given minimal punishment and the documentary pointed out how numerous war criminals assumed positions of prominence in Japan afterward. Their invasions of the Phillipines, China etc. was predicated on their belief in their own superiority and entitlement to the subjugation of other people who were considered inferior to them. To say that racism existed in Imperial Japan is an understatement. To recognize that it exists today is just not PC. I was shocked to hear from a friend who wanted to join his Japanese-American friend in a martial arts group that the friend had to pass the word rather sheepishly that he was being blackballed because he was not Asian, but rather, he was half Mexican and half American and not acceptable in their eyes. But to hear the aforementioned stories of the previous post is revealing. But this is not unique to the Japanese. The Europeans are apparently have their own difficulties in moving beyond their racist backgrounds in contemporary times as well.
What was said to the poster could be interpreted as offensive, but examining the previous posters assertions, the situation in Japan is a bit less subtle and should be interpreted as racist because as you know if it walks and quacks like a duck...
But I don't really care, that's their problem.
But what really galls me are the throngs of anti-American creeps who are inside and outside of the states who always point their self-righteous finger at us decrying the injustices and racism faced by people here, especially the South.
Before looking with a magnifying glass for any and every attempt to cast our lot as racists, they might ought to familiarize themselves with obvious cases which need no interpretation. But as they say, the silence is deafening...

Never thought that there was a connection between being asian and owning an NSX.

If I were white, would I have bought a Corvette? hmmm.....;)

Part of being a NSX owner

I say take it with a grain of salt, driving an NSX will always create some type of reaction.

How many thumbs up have we received driving down the road? How many compliments & questions do we handled at the gas station?

I love my NSX and I am willing to take the good with the bad! Let's face it, we can all make assumptions about what he was thinking but, we all know the truth. He was just jealous!

Re: Part of being a NSX owner

vintagecarman said:
I love my NSX and I am willing to take the good with the bad! Let's face it, we can all make assumptions about what he was thinking but, we all know the truth. He was just jealous!

Amen that.

Anything that invite compliments from people increases the probability that it will also garner harsh comments from others. That's the way things are.

EndLeSS said:
Back the the women NSX part. Athough it IS correct that there are less women NSX drivers, [/B]

There is typically less than 10% NSX owned by women...

and there is a similar percentage when considering sportscars ( I mean real sportscars, no Miatas... )

Another testosterone phenomena I guess...

Forgive me for the delay in my response. However; I feel it is necessary to retort to this post. I have no illusions that by my doing so will this individual “see the light” so to speak. Rather it is to point out that my previous statement is in fact valid and logical. A point by point response seems most efficient.

Wow.
And I thought that the original statement was ignorant.
Noone is defending slavery here. But to associate the people of the South who lived under that flag as rapists and murderers is nothing short of ignorant slander.

What “people” do you refer to sir. I live in the south. Am I part of the “people” by which you refer. You say “live” as though the confederate flag is some sort of legitimate flag representing a nation with a long history and heritage

“Letters to the Editor of USA Today, published on April 23, delineate the polemical nature of the issue. Joseph George Amato of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, writes that it is a shame that the Confederate flag will continue to fly in Mississippi: "African-Americans may have lost their fight to remove Mississippi's Confederate-battle-emblemed flag, but it will fly over the state as a constant reminder of the state's more than 100 years of dehumanizing the black race... It is a shame that such bigotry still exists in our country" (USA Today).”

Here's some breaking news for you: not everyone in the South held slaves; this was the province of the aristocracy, not Johnny Reb who was simply defending his land (figuratively) and family.

I do not propose to defend “Johnny Reb” for why he felt his fight was righteous and just. As I recall my history, the southern states in question seceded from the original union of America for economical reasons fundamentally regarding the issues of slavery. If “Johnny Reb” was not aware of this, then, that is unfortunate. I would like to believe, after all this time, that the individual that would proudly display the confederate flag otherwise be more informed as to its origins; and, take that into consideration before displaying that flag.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how this situation can be as the genesis of slavery was under the United States flag. You might ask yourself how many people were raped and murdered under this flag as well.

I can recall numerous righteous events that have occurred under the American flag. The fact that slavery originated under this flag is irrelevant as the American flag was created under a different cause and purpose. As I have previously stated, the Confederate flag was created to represent the southern states desire to secede from the original union and sustain their economical powerhouse that was slavery.

BTW, I do recall learning of a more recent occurrence in our country involving the inhuman acts of the imperialist Japanese who tortured and imprisoned our soldiers as well as used them for slave labor as well. Have you ever heard of the Bataan Death March, or was this conveniently deleted from your education in order to allow more space for discussion of the evil South.

I have indeed heard of the Bataan Death March. As I recall, the events did not take place “in our country”. Rather I believe they occurred in Imperial Japan Occupied Phillippines. Do I propose to say that the Japanese Flag has never been proudly flown during an atrocity or an inhuman act. I am aware of many HONORABLE acts under the Japanese flag. Perhaps a Japanese brethren would care to cite an example. Or am I to believe that Japan has engaged in nothing but inhuman and atrocious acts throughout history; and thus, it is shameful or wrong to display the Japanese flag?

We managed to get over that one and move on. The fact that there are living survivors of these atrocities makes it a tad more relevant, unless you wish to enlighten us as to the vast network of freed slaves you are aware of.

The amount of time that has passed between one atrocious act and another is irrelevant. I need not know of a “freed slave” to feel the impact of racism, bigotry, and the dehumanization of people of dark skin within this country. Especially when, and here is the heart of the matter, in the southern states, the civil rights act were so predominant; where, I might add, there existed “colored only” water fountains and bathrooms quite recently in comparison to WWII. Since time has an apparent relevance to you. There has been many countries that have engaged in rather lurid acts throughout history while flying their respective flags; however, I seriously doubt that the flag was created in defense of that act.

Just a friendly suggestion, take the chip off of your shoulder and set it aside. Get over it. Slavery is over but apparently there is no shortage of victim-wannabes trying to inculcate a sense of guilt on those from the south for actions which they never took part in. We can forgive the Japanese for their heinous actions and even now celebrate the fruits of their labor vis a vis this forum.
Perhaps you can do the same, perhaps not.

I AM a victim sir. Not of slavery; though, you apparently feel that when slavery ended, every black person was suddenly an equal to every other man. That sir is the most ignorant assumption within this post.

Here’s some breaking news for you: Racism is alive and well; more so in some places than others.

I’d like you to consider this postulate:

If a Black man found himself within a large gathering of white people all talking and flying/displaying the Confederate flag proudly, how comfortable would this Black man be?
Unless you are from a third world country completely unaware of American history, I think it would be safe to say that this particular Black man would not feel entirely comfortable.

OTOH, if you take one of the survivors from the Bataan Death March and place him in a similar gathering of Japanese people proudly displaying the Japanese flag, how uncomfortable would he be?

Before you answer. How long did this event (Bataan Death March) last? How many victims were involved? Now, how long did slavery last? How many victims were involved? Are there not people who now praise the idealism of "White Power"; who, proudly display the Confederate flag?

Now, I don’t recall ever saying that the EVERY person that flies the Confederate flag is a racist; also, I don’t recall saying that the South is Evil.

Here is something to consider from a different point of view:

The Independent, a major newspaper in London, added some credence to Mr. Mueller's argument as it said that the Confederate flag "summons up those other great virtues of the South: splendid architecture, mint juleps, sentiment, solidarity, fried chicken, loyalty to lost causes, and people who sound just like Vivien Leigh, or Clark Gable" (Independent). But, it immediately adds, in language that shows the publication's detachment from the immediacy of the issue for those of us in the United States, "Just a pity about the means of cotton production, the fiery crosses, those funny white hats, and the only recently abandoned methods of instant justice involving rope and trees" (Independent).

Now, as for my “chip” on my shoulder. You, I am guessing, are not a Black man. Granted I am not Black American. Though, I am mixed partly of the Black race; and thus, I have dark skin. Ergo, I have dealt with a significant amount of racism (especially when I am seen with my white girlfriend) that I seriously doubt you yourself have ever experienced.

Thus, my “chip” is none of your damned business.

Much love to the NSX; and God speed my friends.

http://www.geocities.com/writingrya...derateflag.html

Last edited:
I have no illusions that by my doing so will this individual “see the light”

Ah, let me guess... anyone not blindly agreeing with your viewpoint is misguided or simply ignorant, right. Well excuse the superlatives, but you have topped yourself as that has to be the most arrogant statement you have come up with.

What “people” do you refer to sir. I live in the south. Am I part of the “people” by which you refer. You say “live” as though the confederate flag is some sort of legitimate flag representing a nation with a long history and heritage

Let me help you see the light, here is what I wrote:

"But to associate the people of the South who lived under that flag as rapists and murderers is nothing short of ignorant slander."
As you can hopefully see, the word was "lived"; that is past-tense of the word live. "Live" is the present-tense form of this word. You say that you live in the South. Since there are no longer any states in the confederacy, then you are not part of the people to whom I refer. Your interpretation of what you incorrectly assumed that I had written has little to do with what I believe and is more a revealing look at how your thoughts proceed. Stick to what I said and don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself without having you twist my words to fit your agenda. Pay attention, open your mind, it isn't that difficult (for most people) and you may actually learn something.

“Letters to the Editor of USA Today, published on April 23, delineate the polemical nature of the issue. Joseph George Amato of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, writes that it is a shame that the Confederate flag will continue to fly in Mississippi: "African-Americans may have lost their fight to remove Mississippi's Confederate-battle-emblemed flag, but it will fly over the state as a constant reminder of the state's more than 100 years of dehumanizing the black race... It is a shame that such bigotry still exists in our country" (USA Today).”

Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, St. Thomas Aquinas, and now their contemporary counterpart Joseph George Amato weighs in.
Someone forgot to tell Joey that african americans did not lose here, it was the people who voted for changing the flag did not win. This included whites as well as people of other minorities as well. But what he fails to recognize is that there were a significant group of african americans who voted to keep the flag as it was, GASP!! These are people who you probably refer to as Uncle Toms because they don't "see the light". Or is there a more colloquial slander you prefer? Not everyone sees things through a color filter; most of the african americans voting to keep the flag didn't see it as a dehumanizing issue and stated such.

I have indeed heard of the Bataan Death March. As I recall, the events did not take place “in our country”. Rather I believe they occurred in Imperial Japan Occupied Phillippines

If you are going to address the issue, focus on what is written, and don't take what I wrote out of context to fit your agenda; this is your second reminder. As I wrote:the imperialist Japanese who tortured and imprisoned our soldiers as well as used them for SLAVE LABOR The reason I brought this up is because the issue of slavery is/was wrong be it in the confederacy, the phillipines/japan, or the sudan as it is occurring even today. You conveniently disregarded the issue of SLAVE LABOR in your diatribe, or is it OK with you if it happens to be the white US GI who is a slave? I think we can read between the lines here.

you apparently feel that when slavery ended, every black person was suddenly an equal to every other man. That sir is the most ignorant assumption within this post.

WOW, there you go again putting words in my mouth! You just can't control yourself. Like Andrew Golota in the ring with Riddick Bowe.....
FYI, SLAVERY HASN'T ENDED!!!!!
Go to the Sudanese Christian minority living in truly appalling oppression under their muslim masters and let them and their master know that slavery has ended, because you say so and let us know how welcome you are as their emancipator when (and if) you get back. To say that my revelation is ignorant in light of what you just wrote is not simply ignorant, it is infantile.

I have dealt with a significant amount of racism that I seriously doubt you yourself have ever experienced.

Again, again, again and again!!!! You just have to interject your agenda in every statement you make. STICK TO THE ISSUES, I WILL SPEAK FOR MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
This may come as a surprise to you, but I too have experienced racism as have numerous members of this forum. The difference being that I and most others choose not to allow ourselves to be inculcated in this dirty cycle. In choosing to hate the haters, you are no different than them and perpetuate this oppression to those who you perceive as offending you whether it was intended or not. How many people have you spat on or keyed their car because they didn't kiss your ass or bend to your invective to grant you the special treatment you believe you are owed? I am sure that you could fill a few hard drives, but please spare us the details.

my “chip” is none of your damned business.

Just make sure you don't wave it in my face or I will find a more appropriate location for it.

effer said:
There is typically less than 10% NSX owned by women...

and there is a similar percentage when considering sportscars ( I mean real sportscars, no Miatas... )

Another testosterone phenomena I guess...

I don't mean to be offensive, but can you give me numbers for that?

Unfortunately, I myself do not have numbers, but I have read that 40% of the customers who buy Mustangs are women (abeit it was a survey on the base model Mustang)

Unfortunately, predjudism (is that even a word?:confused: ?) exists everywhere. Some people aren't even a ware they possess them. If we react to all of them, it becomes a devisive society. I thought about jumping in and defending the Miata as a sports car, but I realized that the predjudice against it comes, very likely, from never having experienced it's many virtues. But me listing them here will not likely cause the nay-sayers (you know who you are...) to re-evaluate their stance. They're pre-disposed against them. So too are some people pre-disposed to whatever opinions they harbour, generalizations that cause mis-understanding, such as the belief that 'The South' is some massive racist entity and virtually everyone there displaying a reb flag is a white supremist. If that were true Charlie Pride woulda' been dead loooooonnng ago. I think brickbbs makes some valid points that seem to say (at least to me) that answering racist generalizations with other generalizations only perpetuates the negative miscoceptions. I think at some level we're all victims of some predjudice or other, but if we allow ourselves to BE victims, then it's kind of over before it begins. And I guess I'm having trouble picturing a 'victim' suffering behind the wheel of his NSX. I'll need more cheese to swallow that whine.

I'm having trouble picturing a 'victim' suffering behind the wheel of his NSX. I'll need more cheese to swallow that whine.

Well put.
I knew I forgot something.

brickdds said:
Ah, let me guess... anyone not blindly agreeing with your viewpoint is misguided or simply ignorant, right. Well excuse the superlatives, but you have topped yourself as that has to be the most arrogant statement you have come up with.

Nope, to see the light means that you can have an open enough mind to understand my point of view. I realize of course that you cannot. I have many White/Latin friends that can understand. You are the type of person that cannot. It violates your “Southern Code”. I recall in another post about a gothic girl spitting in a fellow NSX owner’s car. He posted the incident saying that you valiantly took control of the incident. Which I find very respectful about you. There were several replies to that post where several members remarked about physically harming the girl. Although I am more than certain that none of these members would ever really harm the girl, you felt the need to chime in and tout your “Southern Code” about not hitting a girl. Well, that is a respectful ideal. However, the remark was unnecessary. You have a tendency to get very defensive whenever anyone says anything slightly critical about America, the government, military, or your beloved South. I personally found it amusing in the past. Now however, you felt the need to attack my point of view and insult me. You see brICKDds, I understand your point of view completely. You don’t like it when a black man plays the “race card”. It bothers you. You don’t like being reminded of how the south held slavery and of the Jim Crowe Laws. For you those are a thing of the past. You have this “Let us not speak of this moment again” mentality. Whenever I validate this point, you feel the need to bring up some past or current event in some other part of the world that has little or no relevance to what I am saying. I find that amusing actually. You would make a very good politician brICKDds.

Let me help you see the light, here is what I wrote:

"But to associate the people of the South who lived under that flag as rapists and murderers is nothing short of ignorant slander."
As you can hopefully see, the word was "lived"; that is past-tense of the word live. "Live" is the present-tense form of this word. You say that you live in the South. Since there are no longer any states in the confederacy, then you are not part of the people to whom I refer. Your interpretation of what you incorrectly assumed that I had written has little to do with what I believe and is more a revealing look at how your thoughts proceed. Stick to what I said and don't put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself without having you twist my words to fit your agenda. Pay attention, open your mind, it isn't that difficult (for most people) and you may actually learn something.

Hmm, spare me the semantics. People still live under that flag today. As I already stated before, I N E V E R said that E V E R Y O N E that touts the confederate flag is evil or a racist. I just don’t understand how they can tout this flag so innocently. It is synonymous to me as carrying the Swastika. Maybe it is not the same thing. I don’t know. I would be happy to debate it with someone who doesn’t feel the need to attack me and insult me. That apparently isn’t part of your “Southern Code”.

Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, St. Thomas Aquinas, and now their contemporary counterpart Joseph George Amato weighs in.
Someone forgot to tell Joey that african americans did not lose here, it was the people who voted for changing the flag did not win. This included whites as well as people of other minorities as well. But what he fails to recognize is that there were a significant group of african americans who voted to keep the flag as it was, GASP!! These are people who you probably refer to as Uncle Toms because they don't "see the light". Or is there a more colloquial slander you prefer? Not everyone sees things through a color filter; most of the african americans voting to keep the flag didn't see it as a dehumanizing issue and stated such.

I see, well I suppose I am not held in the same regards as Plato or Aristotle so my point of view, my validation, my opinions don’t carry enough weight for you. LOL, is it because Mr. Joseph Amato is Black that his opinion carries so little weight for you? I did notice that earlier in this thread, several members regarded the man in the Benz C-Class as a “REDNECK”. You didn’t feel the need to attack them for their comment. Rather you attacked me. Hmm. What makes my post different from them? Aside from my critical remarks of your precious “South”. I believe another differentiation could be that I mentioned I am part Black. Oh well, surely I am digging too much here. BTW, you failed to mention that this vote regarding the retention of the Confederate flag took place only in that one state. All the other state decided to take down the Confederate flag WITHOUT A VOTE.

"Had integration and the scrapping of Jim Crow laws depended on public ballot rather than federal courts, there would probably be regions of the South today where black and white students would be forced to attend separate schools and drink from different water fountains" (Atlanta).
Granted this is a bit extreme; however, not entirely far from the truth. There was not a “significant” group of African Americans that voted for the retention of the flag. I’m not sure where you get that from. Yes some voted to keep the flag. Does that mean they are Uncle Toms? Not at all. I have spoken to a few of my black friends that don’t really care about the Confederate Flag either way. Does that mean I see EVERYTHING through a color filter and they do not? Not at all. It simply means we have a difference of opinion on what that flag represents. Of course, I’m sure it rattles your “Southern Sensibilities” when an intelligent black mans speaks about racism. You would rather see that black man smile, be happy, and pretend racism doesn’t at all exist.

If you are going to address the issue, focus on what is written, and don't take what I wrote out of context to fit your agenda; this is your second reminder. As I wrote:the imperialist Japanese who tortured and imprisoned our soldiers as well as used them for SLAVE LABOR The reason I brought this up is because the issue of slavery is/was wrong be it in the confederacy, the phillipines/japan, or the sudan as it is occurring even today. You conveniently disregarded the issue of SLAVE LABOR in your diatribe, or is it OK with you if it happens to be the white US GI who is a slave? I think we can read between the lines here.

First, I have a fellow police officer that has been over in Afghanistan to Iraq since 9/11. Please don’t paint me to be a racist or a non patriot to make me look evil and make yourself seem more righteous. That is simply pathetic and underhanded. You original mention of the Bataan Death March was to point out that the Japanese have committed atrocities under the Japanese flag and that Americans have learned to “move on” as you put it despite that, and many other, incidents. Perhaps you should scroll up and reread your posts. You then mentioned that slavery and by the way, we are talking about slavery in America so you can spare me the lessons in current events around the world) was over in America long ago; and, that I was trying to be a victim of those slavery days or at least know a victim as such. I did not conveniently disregard anything at all. My point was quite clear. You however disregard my point and claim your statement has a meaning that is different from the original context of what you said.

you apparently feel that when slavery ended, every black person was suddenly an equal to every other man. That sir is the most ignorant assumption within this post.

WOW, there you go again putting words in my mouth! You just can't control yourself. Like Andrew Golota in the ring with Riddick Bowe.....
FYI, SLAVERY HASN'T ENDED!!!!!
Go to the Sudanese Christian minority living in truly appalling oppression under their muslim masters and let them and their master know that slavery has ended, because you say so and let us know how welcome you are as their emancipator when (and if) you get back. To say that my revelation is ignorant in light of what you just wrote is not simply ignorant, it is infantile.

Revelation? What revelation are you talking about? So you have pointed out that racism still exists in other parts of the world. Well done. So......what the devil has any of that to do with the your statement that slavery ended (IN AMERICA) a long time ago and that I have no right to play the so-called victim of slavery? How is that a response to my statement that despite the end of slavery (IN AMERICA), racism still existed up until the Civil Rights Era and still exists even today? Do you always argue your point with someone by spouting current events? You must spend a lot of time watching the History Channel and the CNN.

I have dealt with a significant amount of racism that I seriously doubt you yourself have ever experienced.

Again, again, again and again!!!! You just have to interject your agenda in every statement you make. STICK TO THE ISSUES, I WILL SPEAK FOR MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
This may come as a surprise to you, but I too have experienced racism as have numerous members of this forum. The difference being that I and most others choose not to allow ourselves to be inculcated in this dirty cycle. In choosing to hate the haters, you are no different than them and perpetuate this oppression to those who you perceive as offending you whether it was intended or not. How many people have you spat on or keyed their car because they didn't kiss your ass or bend to your invective to grant you the special treatment you believe you are owed? I am sure that you could fill a few hard drives, but please spare us the details.

LOL, I see, so for you to recognize that the confederate flag was indeed flown at a time when slavery existed and Black people were tortured, murdered and dehumanized; AND that racism still exists, requires you to “bend to my invective to grant me special treatment I believe I am owed”? First of all, I pride myself on my sense of ethics and honor. I don’t know if your “southern code” allows for spitting or keying of another persons property; however, as a cop, I am far above such vindictive behavior. Understand something brICKDds, I have no need for special treatment or sympathy from you or anyone. I, and my Family, have done pretty good for ourselves considering where we came from (and I didn’t have to play the race card to get it. My sister is Acing UM right now, despite the end of Affirmative action, on a scholarship. Ooh, I bet you are a FIRM believer in abolishing Affirmative action. I concur to a degree, however I see it as a necessary evil considering the amount of racism that still exists. I am curious as to your point of view.

It is painfully obvious that everyone has experienced racism to some degree at one point or another. It should be accepted as an axiom. However, as I said before, I have experienced racism that I seriously doubt you yourself have experienced. Hey, maybe I am wrong. Maybe you had a couple guys approach you to fight you in public, calling you all sorts of hateful racial terms, all because you were holding hands with a girl of the opposite race AND all the while a white cop walking by doing absolutely nothing about it. Maybe you have been spit on as a kid because of the color of your skin when you were at school. Maybe you had kids call you some hateful racial slurs while the teacher sat by and said/did nothing. Perhaps you too have heard your own boss tell you that you might want to consider dating someone of your “own kind”. Perhaps I am assuming too much.........I don’t know...you tell me. If so, please forgive me. I would love to hear about your experiences and discuss it with you over a cup of tea. Seriously, it would be a first for me if you indeed experienced similar, if not worse, incidents of racism. Humor me.

As a cop, I deal with racism all the time, both within and without my department. I have to keep an open mind on the streets and keep my cool. I deal with the many frailties of mankind everyday. You have to deal with what? Gingivitis and cavities?

I find your sense of logic amusing. You’re the kinda guy that will walk up, kick me in the balls and when I say:

“Hey brICKDds, you just kicked me in the balls, that fricken hurt!!”

You will respond by saying:

“How dare you sir, there are people in third world countries as we speak that are suffering from elephantitus of the balls; and veterans of Vietnam who don’t have enough healthcare to pay for testicular cancer!!! I suppose you forgot about them in all of your whining huh?!?!?!”

my “chip” is none of your damned business.

Just make sure you don't wave it in my face or I will find a more appropriate location for it.
[/B]

Is that a threat? Well, I have to tell you brICKDds, I will pull out my big chip and swing it all up in your face as far as I’m concerned. Unless you would like to discuss this with me in person. I would savor that chance. I’m sure you’re a large good old boy that would love to knock this smart mouth brother out.

Spare me from any further irrelevant discourse on this thread. If you feel the need to continue with this act of futility you can PM me.

God speed my well educated but narrow minded friend. BTW, much love to the NSX :)

Last edited:
NoSeX4U said:
Unfortunately, predjudism (is that even a word?:confused: ?) exists everywhere. Some people aren't even a ware they possess them. If we react to all of them, it becomes a devisive society. I thought about jumping in and defending the Miata as a sports car, but I realized that the predjudice against it comes, very likely, from never having experienced it's many virtues. But me listing them here will not likely cause the nay-sayers (you know who you are...) to re-evaluate their stance. They're pre-disposed against them. So too are some people pre-disposed to whatever opinions they harbour, generalizations that cause mis-understanding, such as the belief that 'The South' is some massive racist entity and virtually everyone there displaying a reb flag is a white supremist. If that were true Charlie Pride woulda' been dead loooooonnng ago. I think brickbbs makes some valid points that seem to say (at least to me) that answering racist generalizations with other generalizations only perpetuates the negative miscoceptions. I think at some level we're all victims of some predjudice or other, but if we allow ourselves to BE victims, then it's kind of over before it begins. And I guess I'm having trouble picturing a 'victim' suffering behind the wheel of his NSX. I'll need more cheese to swallow that whine.

I respect what you said about "allowing ourselved to be victims". Believe me, I have learned to turn the cheek whenever I feel the need to speak up when I see something occur in regards to racism. Sometimes I choose to keep my mouth shut and not allow myself to be drawn in. However; sometimes you have to rise up and speak out against something you feel is wrong.

Yet, I am confused, am I to believe that because I drive an NSX I cannot be a "victim" of racism. Is it at all possible that I am a young black male driving an NSX because I actually worked hard for it despite obstacles of racism along the way?

Well I'm sure brICKDds would say otherwise. I mean, that is the only logical inference that can be made for such a statement. Yet I'm sure he would say I was "putting words in his mouth"

Perhaps if I drove an '89 Chevy Impala with Zebra patterned seat covers and some spinning hubcaps, you'll have your cheese to go with your "whine"? :rolleyes:

I guess what I mean is, despite these 'racial obstacles' you may have encountered, they don't seem to have hindered you to the point that a nice lifestyle is denied to you. All of us have overcome obstacles to get to where we are, but not all of us feel we were overly victimized. One of my friends is a black guy who was adopted into a white family in an largely white wealthy neighbourhood in T.O. You think he faced 'racial obstacles'? You bet he did. But he overcame them and to the best of my knowledge doesn't look back at those years with a 'victim' shroud ocludding the veiw. And he sure isn't in the NSX-drivin' tax bracket at this juncture, but he doesn't say 'I'm here in life as a result of bigotry'. He just works hard and is a good family man and one of my best friends. I've also got fat friends who face their own brand of predjudice every day. If you were being held back because of your ethnicity, I think your points might resonate more truly, but honestly, you kind of sound like you're looking for racist commentary veiled behind every comment. I've discoursed with Brickbbs before, and while he may come across real Shane/apple pie and all that, he sure ain't no racist. Your reference to his 'southern code' could as easily be a reference to 'brotherhood', you know what I'm sayin'? I think being a gentleman, honouring and respecting family values is as meritorious as sticking up and for your group and your culture. But you're all one people under your flag. And we're all one people under the sun. So play nice.:D

well, 'disagreement is the path to understanding'. or something like that.

on the subject of prejudice, i have an anecdote which i hadnt thought of for 10yrs. Back in the early 90's i played in a dart league. One of the places we played was a little bar that apparently was predominantly african-american. Cool place, the music that i liked, and a girl that seemed interested and interesting, so i stayed. My dart team left.

after 30 minutes by myself(talking with the girl), some guy started talkin the honkey talk. I was nice, wanted no trouble, told him the place was cool, asked him about himself, et cetera. HE told me about the gun in his car and asked me to leave. The girl told him she would never *&** him and that he should leave. The girl didnt know who he was, but apparently he was interested in her. After awhile of listening to his anti-white comments towards me and the girl, the bartender and several guys came over and kicked him out.

I suppose i was the victim of prejudice. Yeah, the people in the bar sat around and allowed the guy to act that way. Yeah, some of them may have felt the same way. BUT, I was impressed that some people stood up and did the right thing, instead of letting it continue indefinately or asking ME to leave.

Whatever the race, there are good and bad, and even if they are prejudiced, sometimes they will still do the right thing. I enjoyed sitting around and talking after the guy left, and the people I was hanging out with seemed to enjoy it to.

Joel said:
Last week, I was eating Chinese with chopsticks in my hand when a guy, who had just finished eating his with a fork, came up to me and said with a smile, "I can't get over how you guys can eat with those."

He caught me off-guard so I just smiled. All the while I was yelling in my head, "ASSHOLE!!!!!"

I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but still.
Anyway, totally OT but thought I'd just throw that in there.
I'm not a stranger to racism.
I think you are being too sensitive about that. I seriously doubt the man being a racist with that comment. He was more likely showing his admiration for "you guys'" chopsticks skill.
Steve

huckster said:
after 30 minutes by myself(talking with the girl), some guy started talkin the honkey talk. I was nice, wanted no trouble, told him the place was cool, asked him about himself, et cetera. HE told me about the gun in his car and asked me to leave.

I would have left... independently of the girl or whatever else... you read way too many times on newspapers about random shooting in bars for the most futile reasons.

In an effort to turn us back to "what would you have said"..... I would have said:

Can't Vanilla Ice get a little respect these days! Geez!!!! Then I would have stormed off pretending to be really hurt :D :D :D

Aaron

Actually, I think it admirable that Huckster stayed even though, as Gheba accurately points out, there are many senseless shootings in bars, even in Switzerland, or so I guess as Gheba says he reads about them in the paper:D I'm sure that thought must have occured to Huckster, but instead of allowing himself to be 'victimized' and chased out of a bar he was having fun in, he instead relied on the common sense the persecutor (obviously) possessed (or Huckster would be a staistic right now...:eek: ) and the solidarity his new aquaitances afforded him. Bullies back down in the face of united opposition (most of the time) and often use larger issues to disguise their smaller agendas...in this case some guy saw a dude talking to the object of his affections and thought a predominantly black bar would line up with him. How refreshing to see peole make positive choices and put themselves on the line for a stranger because they know it's the right thing to do. Helps renew my faith. Thamks for the story Huckster. I find, living in a big city, it's easy and insidious to start forming negative stereotypes without even being aware that one is doing so, and from time to time we can stand to be reminded that there's as many positive stories out there as negative and how imperitive it is not to form blanket opinions and ascribe traits to whole groups but instead to look at individuals as individuals. I'm as guilty as the next guy of, from time to time, falling into this habit, and this thread has provoked a lot of thought and insight for me. I want to thank everyone for being up-front with their opinions and, with the chip-swinging commentary aside, being polite and respectful of each other's thoughts. It's that attitude that will allow us all to move forward in a positive progressive manner towards mutual understanding that can't help but benefit us as a species going forward. It's only if we keep looking backwards, tearing open old wounds and reminding ourselves of the negatives, and there's enough on both sides of any predjudicial issue to feul a big fire, that we will remain enmired in a racial divisive catch-22 argument. Believe me when I say I'm not pontificating (and I apologize if that's what it sounds like) I just think it's hard enough to get along with other people without throwing in pre-concieved notions ascribed due to race. If we all here agree that we're not racists, then lets put it behind us. We all have cool cars, and that's what is really important at the end of the day!

Thanks. Yeah, leaving crossed my mind. I was young at the time, so maybe i wasnt prudent.

The guy was obviously eaten up with anger. I remember asking him, "why would you want to kill me, when you dont even know me. You should at least talk to me first". That comment seemed to defuse the potential for violence. Interestingly enough, it allso seemed to galvanize the other people in the bar.

I think the reasons I didnt leave;

1. Turning your back on someone who threatens you with a weapon is usually a BAD idea.

2. Leaving a bar when someone has just threatened you gives them the opportunity to follow you

3. People who try to intimidate you perceive your leaving as 'weakness' and are MORE likely to attack you

4. I wanted to convince this guy (and everyone else there) that their prejudices didnt apply to me

The end of the story is that most of the patrons were very cool, took me in, and even invited me to come back. (and the girl too:D )

Maybe I made a bad decision, but it turned out good for everyone except the angry hood. I'd like to think the other people in the bar were also positively affected by the experience, like I was.

Much respect huckster.

The fact that you were chilling in a bar with a mainly Black-American populous shows admirable qualities.

I understand PERFECTLY why you stayed. Part of it was because you knew that leaving would be giving in to something you knew was wrong.

The fact that people stood up for you was extremely admirable. It kinda lightened my heart about people. It was indeed a good story.

but not all of us feel we were overly victimized.

I never said I was "overly" victimized; just that I AM a victim. I just don't like being attacked for a comment I made and being told that I am NOT a victim by some complete stranger that feels the need to insult me.
Why is it that if I say "its a bit warm in here", someone thinks I'm screaming "fire!!". Don't make this more than it is. To me its a simple discussion.

So play nice.:D

I though I was being nice. Even civil, despite brICKDbs attacking me.

I've discoursed with Brickbbs before, and while he may come across real Shane/apple pie and all that, he sure ain't no racist.

Thats a clear understatement; however I never said he was a racist. But remember, he attacked me, calling me ignorant and a victim wannabee. No one seems to care about that. But when I respond to his comments, suddenly I'M the one not playing nice?

As for my "chip-swinging" commentary: I really don't appreciate being threatened. Again, no one made a comment regarding brICKDbs' telling me that he will "PUT MY CHIP WHERE IT BELONGS" if I ever "PUT IT IN HIS FACE".

Believe me, I am not looking for your acceptance, defense, or sympathy. Just don't paint me out to be the angry Black man looking to start fire and controversy when it was clearly brICKDbs that begat all of this. I'm simply defending my point of view.

In fact, I've been on this board for years and have always been civil and respectful towards my fellow members and NSX owners; and have even defended other owners from unfair negative remarks of others. Though in this thread, I've been insulted and threatened, and painted out to be the bad guy not "playing nice".

How very interesting indeed.

Oh, I gots to fight some crime!! Off to work. Much love my feller NSXers:rolleyes:

Back