Hows your V1 mounted

I have the Dali mounting brackett for the V1. It mounts high between the seats. It's made to bolt in to factory bolts on the firewall. I covered it with the faux high center mounted brakelight cover and have the concealed display on the steering column. It works great. The sensitivity is excellent, and I agree on the rear view mirror point that people can see it from behind and so it does you no good from a stealth standpoint. It works and IMO looks good.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
it has to be in my line of sight. I cant see it when its behind me or on the passenger side. And I cant hear it when Im in higher rpm range or with the radio like 75% or more turned up :(

All your problems can be solved by purchasing the concealed display option. My V1 is to the right of my rear view mirror at the top of the winshield, but the concealed display box that has the arrows and such is right on top of my steering column. Problem solved. :smile:

Meeyatch1 said:
All your problems can be solved by purchasing the concealed display option. My V1 is to the right of my rear view mirror at the top of the winshield, but the concealed display box that has the arrows and such is right on top of my steering column. Problem solved. :smile:

thats what I was thinking of doing, or on top of the dash, but that might ruin the leather. I'll have to see how yours is...when its finally nice out :mad: Its dry and warm all winter, then I get my car back and boom in the 30's and rainy all the time

I am in for a group buy on the mirror! And i would prefer the indicator to be in the left portion on the mirror.

pelletz said:
I am in for a group buy on the mirror! And i would prefer the indicator to be in the left portion on the mirror.

I would be too, but in that ebay link they want like $600 just for the install. Thats not including the V1 or remote display!!! that come to like $1050!!!:eek:

only way, period...

Dan Ciesniewski said:
404 url not found :frown:

Did you look into the sites I linked above... :confused: http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/accessories/V1 Display.htm ($200), others: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=576065&postcount=23

A. Goto www.Valentine1.com and buy a Valentine 1 radar detector... $399

B. Buy/fabricate a stealth-box & faux brake-light, and support bracket... $70 {V1 box/faux-light: $30/apexcone, V1 bracket: $40/Dali)

(I made my own from carbon fiber, 'smoked'-lexane, and aluminum/stainless steel)

C. Buy a conceal-dsiplay V1 mirror... $200-$795

* If you need to 'donate' a V1 display to mirror-shop, buy a remote-display from www.Valentine1.com... $39

* Add an on/off toggle switch in center-storage bin to turn off the mirror & V1 if being approached by 'fuzz...

The End! :cool:

{Many automobile manufacturers are equipping vehicles w/ digital compasses, temperature gauges, and clocks that are displayed on the rear-view mirror... singling out people who have a digital display on their mirror isn't something I assume officers do.}

Last edited:
That's a lot of money for that mirror. I think my bracket and 3rd brake light cover were less than $100. It's up nice and high and gets great signal to front and back. The sound is no problem since it's close to your ears, and the concealed display module sits on the steering column with velcro perfectly. It works great. Even at NSXPO, people were saying," they must've put a 3rd brake light on the NSX in 2002 changes" or "that must be a Canadian or European NSX or something, because I've never seen that on a US NSX." :smile: Another nice thing about the cover is theft prevention. To each their own I guess. Good luck.

From the pictures on the dali website, it doesn't look like the rear mount between the seats would set the V1 high enough to clear the targa engine cover. Any thoughts on this? Anyone custom made their own mount?

I thought of custom making a mount and enclosing the v1 in a carbon fiber box to conseal it.

Post pictures of your seat-ups please.

also, who makes the jammer kit for the V1, there was an article on these in one of the car mags a few months back... IMO the bracket deal seems to be an eye sore, but may be the easiest option.
MAtt

Ok I temperally set mine up, not hardwired yet.

right now its at the the upper left of the mirror along the top of the window. It was a lil too high to get a clear scan out the sides or back so I tilted it a lil. Its hard to allign it low enough to see out the back between the roof and t-top cover and not my too much in my vision.
Will its slight tilt cause any problems with rear dectecting between the roof, t top cover, and wing??
I dont want to lower it more.

My other option is to set it up to the right side of the mirror and use the consealed display and possion it dead ahead all the way at the top of the window or to the left wear the oil change sticker goes, but then it would be a lil harder to see and hear with it being furthur away....my hearing sucks :(

What do ya think??

pelletz said:
From the pictures on the dali website, it doesn't look like the rear mount between the seats would set the V1 high enough to clear the targa engine cover. Any thoughts on this? Anyone custom made their own mount?

I thought of custom making a mount and enclosing the v1 in a carbon fiber box to conseal it.

Post pictures of your seat-ups please.

The brackett mounts it up plenty high enough to clear the targa cover. Even if it didn't, the Targa cover is only plastic anyway. I've got a range of signal from a fixed radar (one of those trailers with the digital readout that says "you're going too fast!!!" etc.) of over 1.5 miles from the rear. The front range is incredible, and really that's where your greatest threat is anyway. Not sure about carbon fiber box. Don't know if it will block reception or not. Would look good though.

You can build a brackett if you want to, but the one from Dali fits bolts from factory already in the firewall. No drilling required. The finish is very nice, and if you make a mount and raise it up too high, then your rearview mirror might block frontal reception somewhat. Plus, the radar detector might block rear vision in mirror.

Does anyone know what the difference between the no-box and box version of the dali rear mount? They are the same price and there is no picture. Dali appears hard to contact for questions.

I may be wrong, but I think the "box" is referring to a cover to cover the V1, while the "no box" is merely a bracket that the V1 sets on top of leaving the V1 in plain view. I've heard bad things about dali customer service, although my personal experience has been fine. I got the apex one cover for my dali brackett and the back of that cover is cut at an angle to match the back glass of the car. It has a red plastic lens on the front and rear. From the outside of the car it looks like a high mounted 3rd brake light, and provides stealth for the V1.

this?

Dan Ciesniewski said:
What do ya think??

I think your best bet is to try this...

i.) position V1 detector just below & right of rearview mirror {optimal coverage}

ii.) connect center-speaker in middle of fire-wall to V1 detector & V1-remote unit {more amplified sound & better proximity to ear}

iii.) position V1-remote unit on top of steering-wheel cover/hub -or- above center-vent & clock, fastened w/ velcro {alerts & warning LED's within driving field of vision}

If you want to hardwire the V1 detector, two selections:

- placing it above rearview-mirror using a Dali sun-visor clip/attachment or windshield/suction bracket
-or-
- placing it (V1 detector) in the stealth-box/pseudo-brakelight & firewall-bracket.

Just got my NSX recently, and at the time of purchase, I didn't even know it had a remote radar detector installed! It's a "Sonaradar". Never heard of it, and it doesn't have laser, so I assume it's pretty old. Nice install though.

It has remote recievers mounted under the bumbers. The cool part about it is the display. There's a tiny red led on both sides of the clock (see attachment1). One is for front detection, the other for rear. They drilled holes through the back of the clock face (see attachment2).

The volume, on/off and city/hwy switches were seperatley mounted inside the glove box. Total custom job.

I removed most of it, since I don't believe in bumber-mounted recievers (the lower mounting point can't see over hills as good), but I left the led's. Partially because I didn't want to buy a new clock, and also because I hope to re-use them.

Anyone know of a detector with external warning light capability?

Attachments

• radar display front.JPG
    radar display front.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 222
  • radar display rear.JPG
    radar display rear.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 172
Unless your detector is mounted directly in your line of sight in a noisy vehicle it's going to be essentially useless. Since your eyes are concentrating on the road ahead of you 99.9% of the time (hopefully), you'll never see the detector's visual warning most of the time unless it's too late. Being able to clearly hear the audible warning is imperative. Luckily there is a solution! The Radar Screamer.

It's primarily marketed to motorcyclists (I have one on my Hayabusa and I can hear it clearly even with a full face helmet on and the wind noise) but it can easily be adapted for automobile use. There are two versions available, one that fits Passport 8500s and one which fits V1s equipped with the Valentine remote audio panel.

Re: this?

Osiris_x11 said:
I think your best bet is to try this...

i.) position V1 detector just below & right of rearview mirror {optimal coverage}

ii.) connect center-speaker in middle of fire-wall to V1 detector & V1-remote unit {more amplified sound & better proximity to ear}

iii.) position V1-remote unit on top of steering-wheel cover/hub -or- above center-vent & clock, fastened w/ velcro {alerts & warning LED's within driving field of vision}

If you want to hardwire the V1 detector, two selections:

- placing it above rearview-mirror using a Dali sun-visor clip/attachment or windshield/suction bracket
-or-
- placing it (V1 detector) in the stealth-box/pseudo-brakelight & firewall-bracket.

are you saying if I hardwire it into the speaker when it goes off the beep will come through the speakers??

that would be cool :)

when the volumes turned all the way up I cant even hear the engine over radio even at 8k rpm

Im going for the whole new package. V1, remote,and the volume gig is more important than visual. Yes, I want to see as well, but my 1st response is to sound. I know dail has a bracket and box, but I want a black box with 2 red lens on front and back to look like the 3rd tail light. If I have to, I can hard wire a small light in the lens for the faux look. Not a real lens, because it would be distorted, some type of red plastic. Help me find, I know its out there. I will be in Fl. soon Eddie...aka Hugh.

not quite...

Dan Ciesniewski said:
are you saying if I hardwire it into the speaker when it goes off the beep will come through the speakers??

Well, I'm not sure about the (2) Bose door speakers/amps. But I know the center speaker in the firewall can be altered for use w/ integrated cel' phones, CB's, etc'... :cool:

Re: not quite...

Osiris_x11 said:
Well, I'm not sure about the (2) Bose door speakers/amps. But I know the center speaker in the firewall can be altered for use w/ integrated cel' phones, CB's, etc'... :cool:

umm

soooooo, if I hard wire it into the two center ones will it then??
me sucks at electronics :confused:

any other "alterations" other than just wireing them together?:smile:

Back