• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I can make forged 02+ replicas in 17/18 stagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys one of my close friends is legit owner of a wheel manufacturing company now. Fairly well known, although not the size of Rays or Enkei. They produce wheels in the U.S. and he showed me his warehouse, their facilities, and some speciality wheels he has produced for various wheel sellers. He is a manufacturer, not a retailer so many companies that sell wheels buy from him. He has the capability to produce cast, flow-formed, and even fully forged wheels. He can design anything with around a 20 set minimum.

It got me thinking about the 02+ wheel replicas that were supposed to be available in 17/18 and went nowhere. I can actually get this done. The question is.... Is there enough demand? I was one of the guys that originally wanted this, but now I am not so sure. I really like my Advans because of their open look that shows off my BBK. On the other hand, an OEM style wheel in a larger size might be neat. Some other benefits:

1) we can make any styling or design tweaks to it.
2) we can get any finish we want on it. Even on a set by set basis but that comes at a bit more cost. However, he said we are talking OEM levels of finish.
3) he can make changes to lug hole size, width, offset, etc. the wheels will have a center bore that is exactly for the NSX, so no hubcentric rings BS will be needed. It will fit like OEM.

I am just wondering if this is worth pursuing at this point. I just wanted to start a thread and get some input on this. It is a rather rare opportunity because of my level of connection.

Price point? Some of us were just discussing this idea over here

I don't know yet but he said there will be a difference between cast and flow formed (rotary forged), then a significant jump to fully forged. My gut feeling is fully forged is not really necessary for 97% of applications. Unless you track the car with slicks and put tremendous demands on wheel strength, you just aren't going to see much difference between that and flow formed wheels. Cast will be the least costly, but then replacing a bent wheel will also not break the bank. They will all be light and high quality. They already sell a boatload of wheels to some well known manufacturers. They also make wheels specifically for the lotus guys, the Miata guys, and the Subaru guys to their spec.

- - - Updated - - -

You will be able to use OEM center caps by the way. And if you wanted say... Graphite gray or some super silver or some shade of red even, it is all possible.

You're stealing my thunder Dave!

You're stealing my thunder Dave!

LOL... sorry man. Look I am not in it to make dollars, this just fell into my lap when I went to get a PPI on a BMW and my friend takes me next door and shows me their facilities. We can certainly pursue different avenues and see what works best. I am not even sure there will be enough demand though... I mean I think a lt of guys will show interest then decide they want some other style. There are a lot of wheels out there and I don't want a headache. No one is paying me for this.

Make a forged replica of the model 5's

......waits for reaction in model 5 thread :p

Dave
Is it possible to get a set of 17/17 oem forged replicas?
I'm not up on non standard wheel tire combinations so what is the advantage of 17/18 over stock?
Most interested in this one.

I would buy replicas' 02+ 17/17 but I want the rears to be as 19+ inch wide or as much as they can stretch the rim.

or replicas 2001 rims 16/17 but the rears 19+ inch wide I only want thicker rear tires more meat on the pavement

Good luck getting a wheel 19" wide to fit Shawn

1. PoKnow 18x10+35
2. MidnightSun
3. bngl3rt 17/18

would definitely be interested in a set of replica 17/18's depending on price point and accuracy of reproduction.

Most likely it will be 17x8 front and 18x10 rear. Et and spoke curvature enough to clear stoptech brakes as everything else is smaller. hubcentric.

There's no point in me making forged model 5's or any non-OEM shape. Those things are there in the aftermarket. The factory shape at ET of around 35-37 clears stoptechs up front. 18x10 at an ET of 30 will sit very flush. This is the wheel you'd get to allow for larger tires, brakes, and be fully bolt-on with no rings and no spacers. Most likely not full forged because although many desire that, I don't think they'd be willing to actually pay for it. A cast or flow formed but high quality wheel.

If you can make 17x7 +45 / 18x9 + 40 then I'm in for a set as long as the cost is reasonable.

Dave
Is it possible to get a set of 17/17 oem forged replicas?
I'm not up on non standard wheel tire combinations so what is the advantage of 17/18 over stock?
Most interested in this one.

Jim there is no point of an exact OEM replica. Just get the OEM wheel for that. Advantage of 18 rear is better look by a long shot, matching height sidewalls front and rear, and a better tire selection.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can make 17x7 +45 / 18x9 + 40 then I'm in for a set as long as the cost is reasonable.

Brylek those offsets would not clean many BBK's. And they are too far recessed in, and the widths are too conservative for many tires limiting choice. 8" front and 10" rear at ETs in the mid 30's solve all the problems and they would look killer.

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely the first group of buyers would get a much better price as they are helping subsidize tooling costs. After that initial buy, more will just cost more.

I would replace my ce28s in a heartbeat for oem styled 17/18. Add me to the list!

I already ordered some Advan RSII's for my 05 but I would be interested regardless if this group buy goes. I'll watch the thread.

The achilles heel of this thread is the same as the last one I suspect. Difficult to make everyone happy unless they get their specific sizing. Hope you guys can agree on a 1 size fits all since the min-order qty will require it (unless Dave can work his magic and you guys can come up with two sizes!)

I'd be perfectly OK with a properly designed cast wheel. If your wheel guy is as big as I think he is then he'll be able to make a cast wheel strong enough no problem.

On the flip side.. you could thin the down spokes to where a forged wheel can be made strong enough to fit behind BBKs w/o a spacer.

Perhaps if you PM ppl in the old thread and make them aware of this one you'll have more ppl interested?

I might be interested if:

F: 17x7.5 or 17x8,
R: 18x9,5 or 18x10
wheels clear Stoptech BBK
weight: F < 16 lbs R < 19 lbs (i think only possible if forged)
Price < 2.500 $

I know i'm a bit demanding... :biggrin:

Sums it up. Weight is really important at those wheel sizes given added tire weights. I too would be happy to trade my CE28N high pads ........

Let me drive up there and knock some sense into you right now! You crazy crazy man. :p

Don't get me wrong, I like the CE28N but I like the 02+ OEM look more ....... mostly because I like to keep it as stealth as possible - especially if I can get them to be light graphite gray :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back