• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I can make forged 02+ replicas in 17/18 stagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he forgot the second model of tire or meant in general 235's, but they are all different anyway

Why not 8 and 10? I think 7.5 and 9.5 is OK too, but then the offsets have to change to look right. Which can be done. This is the only gray area for me. As you know I picked a 9" rear over a 10" rear advan for lighter weight and a more square tire shoulder.

I agree, I also like the square tire shoulder look. Most guys (except for docjohn I suppose:) )are still going to run 215/40R17 in front so 8" only adds weight and a stretched tire look.

Dave, it may be a good idea for you to bump the original thread with a link to this one so that way those who are subscribed to it will be able to find this group buy.

Last edited:
I agree, I also like the square tire shoulder look. Most guys (except for docjohn I suppose:) )are still going to run 215/40R17 in front so 8" only adds weight and a stretched tire look.

Dave, it may be a good idea for you to bump the original thread with a link to this one so that way those who are subscribed to it will be able to find this group buy.

Brylek, I have 17x8 front with OEM size 215/40/17 it's not really "stretched". It's not perfectly square, but it is far from any sort of stretch look. Seems 235/40/17 is a problem solver up front. That really wants to see an 8" minimum, its range is 8-9.5. For a 215, range is 7 (minimum) to 8.5". So an 8" is ideal to serve both sizes. Also being slightly less square helpe get some clearance. I know you are a conservative guy and very concerned about the look, but I really don't think 8 up front is a problem. If we stay with a 1" increase up front, a 1" increase in the rear is 10. Offsets front OEM are 55 and 56. You need a minimum 40 offset front to clear stoptech calipers. That is basically, a 15mm spacer up front. We can go same offset rear, 40. It's more conservative than 35 that most people run. I think 35 rear is better. That's basically a 20mm spacer in the rear. So the "look" would be OEM wheel with a 15 up front and a 20 rear which I have to tell you.... looks GREAT IMO. You've also kept your stock ratio for track width front and rear.

BTW that old thread is locked I cannot bump it.

Last edited:
Brylek, I have 17x8 front with OEM size 215/40/17 it's not really "stretched". It's not perfectly square, but it is far from any sort of stretch look. Seems 235/40/17 is a problem solver up front. That really wants to see an 8" minimum, its range is 8-9.5. For a 215, range is 7 (minimum) to 8.5". So an 8" is ideal to serve both sizes. Also being slightly less square helpe get some clearance. I know you are a conservative guy and very concerned about the look, but I really don't think 8 up front is a problem. If we stay with a 1" increase up front, a 1" increase in the rear is 10. Offsets front OEM are 55 and 56. You need a minimum 40 offset front to clear stoptech calipers. That is basically, a 15mm spacer up front. We can go same offset rear, 40. It's more conservative than 35 that most people run. I think 35 rear is better. That's basically a 20mm spacer in the rear. So the "look" would be OEM wheel with a 15 up front and a 20 rear which I have to tell you.... looks GREAT IMO. You've also kept your stock ratio for track width front and rear.

BTW that old thread is locked I cannot bump it.

I think what you suggest is great, let's make it happens. Just make sure the wheels won't stick out the fender for stock ride height. Thanks for your effort.

Just make sure the wheels won't stick out the fender for stock ride height. Thanks for your effort.

If I do that, the wheels will look sunk in with the car slightly lowered. How many people that buy aftermarket wheels stick with OEM ride height? not many. Guys that will buy a 17/18 setup with BBK clearance and a more aggressive look will most likely be lower. I can't accommodate both, and I think the greater number will be guys that are lower. Not crazy low, but not OEM height.

I am VERY interested! Have been looking for a clean 02+ set for a while without a ridiculous asking price.

17\18 02+ replica that is machined to negate the need for spacers would be very interesting. If your manufacturer can add some more depth great but not essential and not if it loads up the cost, just stick to OEM but add the 'spacer' element.

Ideally set to run with 215 \ 265 tire widths to avoid and TCS issues.

Great opportunity; subscribed

Thanx again Dave

Last edited:
I am VERY interested! Have been looking for a clean 02+ set for a while without a ridiculous asking price.

I'm willing to bet they might be more.

I would be fine with the OEM dimensions with just a slightly more aggressive offset if anything. I like a flush'ish look but not enough to make me run a spacer, no chance in hell.

I doubt these will cost much less than a set of used 02+ OEM wheels that sell for around $2K (I sold mine for $1800). So if you are looking for these wheels for less, I am not sure this will be your solution. I have to make them bigger and it's custom so the costs won't be that cheap. I can almost guarantee if we get them forged it will cost over 3K for sure, possibly over 4. But I am not too keen on forged, I think it will push them out of most people's budgets.

Last edited:
all I'm saying is that the nto1 runs wider than other 235 tires thus the offset would have to be perfect(custom) to have that extra width distributed equally across the midline to minimize fender contact.Of course my selfish reasons may have no bearing on the terms of this thread.

all I'm saying is that the nto1 runs wider than other 235 tires thus the offset would have to be perfect(custom) to have that extra width distributed equally across the midline to minimize fender contact.Of course my selfish reasons may have no bearing on the terms of this thread.

Doc it's not just selfish, it's also vague... LOL... It's difficult for me to find out what that would be without having the wheel and tire combo and taking a lot f measurements. If you find out what that offset is, you can let me know. Right now I will probably go for the MINIMUM required to clear stoptechs. That will determine it, and that seems to be 40. Basically the OEM wheel with a 15mm spacer. Might be able to go 41 but I don't want to risk it. At least you know you have a wheel that has the proper width for a 235 that also clears your big brake kit and doesn't need spacers or rings. OEM fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought is.... We can probably make these to accommodate a TPS sensor. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
LOL. Sorry I'm reading this on the smart phone and going 80MPH to work.

U totally busted me. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I deserve to drive these on the GTO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ronal+bear&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KzW3UaHONIiOiAeE0YCYDA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

I think MORE people would buy a set of replica 02+ 17/17 and maybe wider rear than other sizes. if the price was right, I mean OEm 17/17 are like cheapest I have seen 3500 without tires

people like the stock look and stock calipers

- - - Updated - - -

hows your current tires BATMAN slow down get to work alive I would'nt log into Prime anymore if I saw your wrecked NSX at auction LOL

- - - Updated - - -

edit: I wouldnt log into Prime for 1 year for respect. but would still buy your NSX at auction

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

hows your current tires BATMAN slow down get to work alive I would'nt log into Prime anymore if I saw your wrecked NSX at auction LOL

- - - Updated - - -

edit: I wouldnt log into Prime for 1 year for respect. but would still buy your NSX at auction

Almost everytime I'm at a local NSX gathering I can hear NSX owners plot to get me in an accident so they can take my awesome thermal coated engine, SOS SC, IC, SOS dual carbon carbon clutch and many more stuff.

LOL

Nope. Not going to do 17/17. LOL... You can get the OEM for that. I think that would kill my market.

I have no knowledge of offsets.
My 91 has the stock ride height.
Do I understand correctly that the offsets you are choosing are more flush on a lowered car but will be less flush (more inside the fender line) on a stock ride height?

I have no knowledge of offsets.
My 91 has the stock ride height.
Do I understand correctly that the offsets you are choosing are more flush on a lowered car but will be less flush (more inside the fender line) on a stock ride height?

In the rear the suspension geometry is such that as you lower the car the wheels tuck in. So if you aren't lowered at all, the wheels will stick out a bit more. In order to clear calipers up front you need a certain offset. If you go below that in the rear, the car will look odd. So I can't go real conservative in the back. These offsets don't extend the tires or wheels beyond the fenderline in any way, but these wheels wont be good for someone at stock ride height. This is an upgrade that keeps an OEM'ish appearance. If someone really prefers an OEM look, they should probably stay OEM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back