• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I do not want to start a fight but: the pleasure of an AT NSX.

In my opinion, not sure how true, but I feel they built the trans 4spd to be set up for the track.

5th gear is pretty useless on the street, although would be nice to have. Again just my crazy opinion why they chose this route.

I'm one of those NSX owners that have owned both an auto and a manual. My auto was a 95, so it had the lever shifter. I currently drive a 97 manual. I enjoyed my auto, but for spirited driving, including track driving, it falls a little short of the manuals. First gear is too short and 2nd is too tall to power out of a corner. The auto is no slouch tough. I took my auto to the track at NSXPO in Las Vegas, and I did very well against most manuals. But in the end, the auto could not stand up to the riggers of track driving, and on the second day I blew the trans (a $3,000 fix). Every once in a while, I get stuck in traffic here in Los Angeles, and I wished I still had my auto. But, when I compare the two, the manual to me is more fun to drive. And now that I have be going to the track, the manual is a must for me. Anyway, I'm glad that the responses on this thread have been positive. I did receive a lot of grief when I owned the auto.

Happy shifting and non-shifting everyone!

I know this is an old thread, but I rode from Source One near Cincinnati back to Columbus last year during NSXPO 2014 with a gentleman from Virginia in his AT NSX (I'm assuming it was you, grybrd, with the funny license plate!). I got into the car wondering what the transmission would feel like, and although I didn't drive it, the car felt every inch the equal of my 5-speed. Acceleration, performance were non-issues. Although I still like running through the gears, I would in no way look down upon the AT cars at all.

Not me...sorry.
I did not get to the event. Glad to know there was another TA car in Virginia, though.
I now hail from Maryland and no longer have an NSX, though I am craving a new one. My neighbor across the street has one.
I am enjoying the company of a low mileage, 1997 XK8; no slouch but no NSX.

Back