• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I just got dusted by a Lexus LF-A

While driving home from work today, I couldn't believe I saw a white Lexus LF-A flash by me while I was sitting at an intersection. When my light finally turned green I floored it to chase it down in my 85' MKII Supra commuter car.

Me and the LF-A finally got clear of all traffic at the end of Hawthorne blvd in Rancho Palos Verdes where it ends at the Pacific ocean. I pulled up next to him and had a quick chat before the light turned green. He said it was the only LF-A in the entire country on the road!

I followed him for several miles, and I have to say that the exhaust sound is the most incredible thing I've ever heard on a road car. The downshift blips sounded awesome! The only exhaust sound that comes close to the sound of the LF-A is the Porsche Carrera GT, but with the LF-A the revs were sharp, crisp and loud since the LF-A is paddle shifting vs the manual stick of the Carrera GT.

As I turned around to go home, the LF-A driver also made a U turn and hauled ass up the hill past me leaving me in the dust. There was no way I could catch up in my commuter car, but it was still awesome hearing the wailing exhaust sound as it sped away.

took a pic w/ my blackberry:
24832940135_large.jpg

For over $300,000. I am glad that it sounds so good. Some of these factories just don't get that a car of it's calibre needs to sound as close to a formula one car as they can get it.

At the LA auto show this year Lexus said it was $375K. That's definitely a huge amount to pay for this car, but I'd have a tough time choosing between the LF-A and a Carrera GT.

I've been to a number of F1 races in person, and I have to say the LF-A sounds just as sweet.

You can't even buy the car; you can only lease it. The monthly lease payment on the Lexus LFA is $12.398.44 for 24 months. That's $297,562.56 worth of lease payments over two years.

However, Lexus is quick to point out that the LFA's MSRP is $375,000, so you're technically not paying full price. At the end of 24 months, lessees are free to plunk down an additional $93,750 and buy their LFA outright.

lexuslfafd01opt.jpg

Too bad you weren't in the NSX. I would have liked to see a side-by-side photo.

not the only LF-A in the country. One in Chicago too.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bFcjy9p7bU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bFcjy9p7bU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

For over $300,000. I am glad that it sounds so good. Some of these factories just don't get that a car of it's calibre needs to sound as close to a formula one car as they can get it.
Hey Bob, yours sounds good and it was 10 times less $$. LOL :biggrin:

not the only LF-A in the country. One in Chicago too.

The driver was talking and acting like it was "his" car... not a shared press car that journalists and industry insiders get to drive. But that was just my impression.

Thanks for sharing the video. Too bad the clip can't do justice to how unique it really sounds in real life. When he first down shifted w/ the blip, all I could say was, "oh my god". It was that cool.

PVMike, it would have awsome to try and chase him down in the nsx...especially around the bend where Davis wrecked his Mustang 5.0 back in highschool. Funny how the LF-A dusted me at the exact spot where my avatar photo was taken.

I had a student last year at the track that had a Carrera GT. Scary car to drive fast. I'd take a LFA over the Carrera GT any day.

CL65 Captain, just noticed you're in Florence, KY. Do you actually drive an nsx out there? I usually stay in Florence at least a couple times a year for business. I can't say that I see too many sports cars on the road out there other than mustangs and corvettes. :biggrin:

Can't wait to hear that car in person!!! Wouldn't mind going for a spirited run with it either :biggrin:

Nice but he's full of crap that it is the only one.....I've seen a silver one on western and 186th in Gardena cruising around when I was leaving King's Hawaiian Bakery. There's a Toyota building over there too.....LF-A is a great sounding car and its a wide car.

Last edited:
CL65 Captain, just noticed you're in Florence, KY. Do you actually drive an nsx out there? I usually stay in Florence at least a couple times a year for business. I can't say that I see too many sports cars on the road out there other than mustangs and corvettes. :biggrin:

yea, I moved to Northern KY because of Delta and the hub in CVG and was too lazy to commute, especially as a reserve Captain. But now they are dismantling the hub. I am exactly 2-1/2 hr drive from Putnam Park in one direction and Mid Ohio the other. They built a brand new road course, exactly 12 miles S of me (one exit N of the KY Speedway) but it has never opened.

There are not a lot of exotics in the area with the exception of:

attachment.php

Attachments

• porsche_911_gt3_997_7_4_1-800-600.jpg
    porsche_911_gt3_997_7_4_1-800-600.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,240
Last edited:
I had a student last year at the track that had a Carrera GT. Scary car to drive fast. I'd take a LFA over the Carrera GT any day.

Now CL - how can you say that since you haven't driven an LF-A??? But then no one is handing out either car - right! I'd take either one dude. I'm not that damn picky! I love the Carrera GT - it's a classic and looks a ton better than the LF-A which kind of looks like a GT-R on steriods. I'm not sold - and until they really do a good track test against some other cars we won't really have a good comparo - but you can bet they will profile it against the Carrera GT and in some "real" race hands we'll see which one performs better. We'll just have to wait - there will most likely be a Ferrari in the mix too along with the honker Mercedes. Stay tuned!

Nice but he's full of crap that it is the only one.....I've seen a silver one on western and 186th in Gardena cruising around when I was leaving King's Hawaiian Bakery. There's a Toyota building over there too.....LF-A is a great sounding car and its a wide car.

There will be 500 sold here - gotta be more than one for sure. Bet the one you saw wasn't sold though. Probably some dealer. Who knows....

That guy posts on teamspeed (rufmd). He seems to be a pretty nice guy where he's had forum members come over and he's given them rides.

Back to the topic at hand...I'm curious why you would take an LF-A over the Carrera GT also Jim. Knowing that you're a track guy, I would have thought you would like what appears to be a more raw type car and chosen the GT.

Back to the topic at hand...I'm curious why you would take an LF-A over the Carrera GT also Jim. Knowing that you're a track guy, I would have thought you would like what appears to be a more raw type car and chosen the GT.

In the case of the Carrera GT, it wasn't fun to drive at all. It was scary fast and would try to kill you on every corner exit. I do have to say that the engine is absolutely superb though. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/259g81XADfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/259g81XADfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

The driver was talking and acting like it was "his" car... not a shared press car that journalists and industry insiders get to drive. But that was just my impression.

There will be 500 sold here - gotta be more than one for sure. Bet the one you saw wasn't sold though. Probably some dealer. Who knows....

I think that's the press car. Look at the plates; it belongs to Lexus ("DST" or Distributor plates).

In the case of the Carrera GT, it wasn't fun to drive at all. It was scary fast and would try to kill you on every corner exit. I do have to say that the engine is absolutely superb though. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this...

NSX reference @ 6:40. Woot.

And he seems to think a lot of the diminished aspects of performance were due to the tires.

Id still rather have the LFA. Much prettier than the Carrera GT imho, and you can probably hack the dash!

Back