• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I think my recent NSX purchase became more expensive... (pics+video inside)

So.. Recently purchased what I thought was a sweet deal on a 93 nsx, 53k miles. Checked it out pre purchase, nice decent test drive, checked oil/etc. Oil was a little dirty, which should have tipped me off, etc. etc. Long story short, not my smartest move looking back, I purchased the car. Car was a little loud valvetrain wise, but so were my S2k's so I didnt think much of it. No overheating, oil pressure fine, radiator fluid clean, verified it just had 60k service done at acura dealership. I drove the car home from dealership, and 1 more time after that locally. Checked oil after both drives, didnt notice anything crazy, just that it needed to be changed. I go out today to start it up to run it to get the oil changed, and..

I noticed some condensation "steam" from when I bought the car, figured with how cold it is that was normal. Well, 65 degrees today, start car, notice some white ish smoke out the back. Let it warm up a bit, white smoke at idle is gone, but have my wife come out and give it some gas, and white ish smoke is coming out from both exhaust pipes, but when she lets off the gas, smoke stops. SO... go to check the oil, and the pictures below will show you what I think my problem is... (video also, valvetrain is noisier today then the past two times I drove it, the video is in my carport so it sounds louder then it really is due to reverberation, but it still isnt good)

Little metal fleck from dip stick
shaving1.jpg

definetely something different on my dip stick (the silver ish liquid trail)
oil2.jpg

and video of some valvetrain racket
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/bizlipkick/?action=view&current=IMG_1119.mp4

Did the towel to exhust trick, smells like exhaust/a little sweet. I am pretty sure I know what the answer to all this is, but since the motor is still operational without catastrophic failure yet... Do I have cheaper options other then a complete rebuild? I spoke with Barnman this morning (his shop is about an hour away) about doing my TB/WP change, I havent called him about this yet but from the look/sound it this still salvageable? Assuming I don't drive it at all (not my daily, dont need to start it). I had figured on putting some money in it anyways, just dont want to go full rebuild if I dont have to. Thanks for looking guys (and yes I am an idiot, should have checked car out more pre purchase)

Re: I think my recent NSX purchase became mor eexpensive... (pics+video inside)

Sounds like you have a bad head gasket. The car may have been overheated in its history. Compression Test, Leakdown is in order to cut right to the chase to deternmine the issue. Also you can get a "Block Test System" at any autoparts store that will work easily by mounting it to the coolant tank, and running a few tests, follow the instructions.

Am I mistaken or is your oil level high? (maybe not all oil as you suspect)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Part 2: Sorry I listened to the video, you need a motor rebuild or replacement, bad rod bearing.

Good Luck,

LarryB

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a bad head gasket. The car may have been overheated in its history. Compression Test, Leakdown is in order to cut right to the chase to deternmine the issue. Also you can get a "Block Test System" at any autoparts store that will work easily by mounting it to the coolant tank, and running a few tests, follow the instructions.

Am I mistaken or is your oil level high? (maybe not all oil as you suspect)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Part 2: Sorry I listened to the video, you need a motor rebuild or replacement, bad rod bearing.

Good Luck,

LarryB

Thanks, does replacing rod bearing require complete rebuild, or is it possibe to headgasket, replace the bad bearing, and its running again? sorry, not wicked mechanically inclined

You have metal shards in your motor.. Don't do it cheap. Rebuild it. All of it. Sucks with only 53k... Wow

Yea, just wish I would have found it out a few days earlier. Pretty expensive lesson, but learned none the less.

That's the lesson. Make sure you have them pre inspected or buy from a reputable place where you know stuff like this isn't going on. Have you contacted the dealer at all? Wonder if they will help some? Maybe even a little?

That's the lesson. Make sure you have them pre inspected or buy from a reputable place where you know stuff like this isn't going on. Have you contacted the dealer at all? Wonder if they will help some? Maybe even a little?

Yea, working it now. sent him pics and video, waiting on the word.

Sorry for the ordeal, Although it isn't the dealers fault ( Unless they knowingly hid it) it would be nice for them to help some.

Just watched the video....I can't tell whats wrong with it? All the NSX's I've seen "tick" and have white smoke on start up/early mornings.

Just watched the video....I can't tell whats wrong with it? All the NSX's I've seen "tick" and have white smoke on start up/early mornings.

The white smoke was at 1 p.m. , warm motor, 65 degree's outside. I called barnman again, and he said from what I am describing sounds like a rod bearing, because of the ticking when you let off the throttle. His advice (good advice sine the check hasn't cleared) is contacting the dealer, and trying to get out of this. Working with dealer now to figure something out.

You have nothing to loose by going back to the seller. Auto dealer or private party? How many miles did you put on the car before things went awry?

I'd also speak with the GM or service manager of the dealer that did the 60k.
There may be some recourse.

Sorry to hear about your woes, however........................this is a good time to consider a rebuild with a stronger motor. At least some stronger studs and cometic head gaskets. That way at least if you Turbo later, you have a more robust starting point and can push 425-450rwhp with more reliability than bone stock.

You have nothing to loose by going back to the seller. Auto dealer or private party? How many miles did you put on the car before things went awry?

I'd also speak with the GM or service manager of the dealer that did the 60k.
There may be some recourse.

Sorry to hear about your woes, however........................this is a good time to consider a rebuild with a stronger motor. At least some stronger studs and cometic head gaskets. That way at least if you Turbo later, you have a more robust starting point and can push 425-450rwhp with more reliability than bone stock.

Yea, me and the wife just had a long sit down on this, and came to same conclusion. Dealer was a little one that sells "higher end" cars, but after talking to him for about 20 minutes I am sure this is going to go nowhere. He swears up and down it was fine, etc. etc. I have put 350 miles on it, which 300 of it was the drive home. Anyways, assuming their is no recourse and I am eating this one, Barnman has a opening in probably a few weeks, ill get it towed their and he said he can get into it and determine what all needs to be done, so then I have a starting point on how much I need money wise to get it going again. Less then 4-5 ish I can do now, but we also talked about a full on good rebuild if thats the case, in which I can yank the battery and garage it while I spend this year banking up enough to go the full monty on it. Its an expensive ordeal, but I have always wanted an NSX, and now I will have the opportunity to get it built up. Worst case scenario it sits for 12 months, hell or high water I can have it back on the road pretty strong next jan-march time frame. Sorry for the bible I just wrote, its more for my own sanity at this point haha.

Hang in there. When you get things sorted out, you will really enjoy a fantastic automobile...

I'm not convinced. How much smoke are we talking about here?

I'd still seek legal advice on this. Only 350 miles. They should be held somewhat accountable warranty or not.

I'd still seek legal advice on this. Only 350 miles. They should be held somewhat accountable warranty or not.

Exactly! That is a VERY short time of ownership. I would not let them off the hook that easily.

I don't know where the op is from, but here in TX, the "as is no warranty" sticker pretty much releases the dealer from liability if something like this happens after you sign the paperwork.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd agree with some of the other posters and go after the dealer a bit more aggressively. Maybe have an attorney draft a letter (it maybe money well spent). On a side note make sure you listen to what Larry B says about your car. He really knows his stuff. Good luck.

I don't know where the op is from, but here in TX, the "as is no warranty" sticker pretty much releases the dealer from liability if something like this happens after you sign the paperwork.

That doesn't mean you can't take other measures to let the public know about the car you bought. This might get you some results.

Thanks guys, yea I am getting the "talking to the owner" blah - Pretty much when I signed the papers it was on me. I am hoping for a little recupance, but I am being a realist and don't really trust the dealer. We are planning on them not doing anything, I am going to talk to JAG (cant really do much with a civilian issue, but can point me in the right direction) and at least try to make sure others don't run into the same mistake I made. TBH, I was going to drop 3k in getting all the major services done in a few weeks, I think our worst case scenario is save up for a few months, I have been chatting with some people (barny, chris at SOS)- I could get a repair for a decent price, and used for a little more, or get a full engine rebuild with new crank/forged pistons/etc for a decent chunk more (leaning very heavily on this one), but nothing that is unattainable.

I would prefer just to get it sorted out with the dealer and get out from underneath it, but if not within the year ill have a built NSX, which is not to shabby. Just a crappy way to have to go about it (and obviously, I paid the price on a good running NSX, not one with motor problems).

In an effort to not air EVERYTHING out, I am waiting on a call from the dealer tomorrow in regards to what or IF they are going to do anything to make this right. Whatever the answer, I promise EVERYONE will know about it. As for the smoke, its white a little bit at start up (normal), after it warms up non at idle, but puffs out when throttle is applied) over the phone diagnosis (which isnt a 100 percent accurate, I know) show all signs point to rod bearing, now its just the extent of the damage. I am hoping I caught it in time, but regardless its going to have to get torn down, so I figure while were already in it I should go the full monty. I was going to anyways, just sucks its going to need at least a new crank tacked on to that, and I cant drive it for the next couple months while I get the financial side of the project in order.

More pissed about what I am pretty sure is terrible business practice, as I could not imagine roles being reversed saying "tough, deal with it". It is evident I didn't run the car out of oil, which would cause this problem (i put 2 1/4 tanks of gas in on the way home, specifically just to check the oil as I know its an older car). When I bring this up, and that any shop that checks it out would verify this isnt a "past couple of hudrend miles" issue, but a issue that was covered up -guessing motor honey or something- he dances around and says he needs to talk to his boss. Anyways, preparing for the worse but hoping for the best, and trying to find the best option for either scenario.

(good advice sine the check hasn't cleared)nd trying to get out of this. Working with dealer now to figure something out.

Am I reading this right? The check for payment on the car has not cleared? Why don't you stop payment? What is the date on the contract? Not sure where you are but you may have a 72-hour "rescind" period or something like that in your state.

Am I reading this right? The check for payment on the car has not cleared? Why don't you stop payment? What is the date on the contract? Not sure where you are but you may have a 72-hour "rescind" period or something like that in your state.

Tried that soon as the dealer kind of made it clear it wasnt going to budge. Once the check was endorsed and deal was made, and the dealer went to cash it (which he did) the bank cannot withdraw it. I get the purpose (so people can't do buyers remorse, etc for a car they cant afford, etc) but I think this case should be a tad diff, unfortunately no. Last I talked to the dealer, I offered to pay to have the car shipped back to him, and a decent chunk of money for the 300+miles I put on the car, but still have not heard back (and I doubt I will)

Nonetheless, talk to an attorney. Unless your an attorney, there are laws and stipulations us common folk may not be aware of, even in tx. Talk to that lawyer.

Back