• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Idea for summer ride.

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
How does this idea grab you Florida guys?

Sometime this summer or early fall (before the throngs of leaf watchers emerge) we all drive up to Orlando/Sanford and take our NSXs on the Auto Train to DC. We can then drive down Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway culminating at the Cherohala Skyway and The Tail of Dragon. The Dragon is awesome, I've done it by motorcycle. 318 turns in 11 miles!
Check out http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ there are maps of these roads as well as information on area lodging. I recommend Fontana Village or The Tapoco Lodge.

Let's get our cars on some roads that God intended them to be on!

The Auto Train is a hoot as long as you get a sleeper cabin. That comes with reserved dining and a bar car. Generally it leaves Sanford around 5:00PM and get into Virginia just south of DC around 9:00AM the next morning. And yes, an NSX has enough ground clearance, been there done that!

Think you can handle The Dragon?

DRAGONmap.gif

Last edited:
That's a great idea Hugh, and I've always wanted to drive the Tail of the Dragon too. But, how about delaying that trip and making it up to NSXPO instead at Watkins Glen. I already took off two weeks in OCtober to coincide with NSXPO '04 and a family trip.

However, I'm always up for a nice 3-4 trip in August and possibly driving to Carolina would be nice. Let's play with the idea a bit and see what happens. I do know that the weekends are kinda busy on the Dragon, so maybe a mid-week trip can be arranged.

If this is a region-wide get together, count me in! I lived in Knoxville for years and that is one great road. Drop me an e-mail, I'd love to get my NSX there!

Mark
[email protected]

DocL said:

However, I'm always up for a nice 3-4 trip in August and possibly driving to Carolina would be nice. Let's play with the idea a bit and see what happens. I do know that the weekends are kinda busy on the Dragon, so maybe a mid-week trip can be arranged.

A mid-week summer trip to The Dragon works for me. Now I have to figure out a way to hook up a trailer to the NSX so the Busa can come too. :eek:

Hugh said:
A mid-week summer trip to The Dragon works for me. Now I have to figure out a way to hook up a trailer to the NSX so the Busa can come too. :eek:

Hugh, why would you take away the sheer enjoyment of the NSX in that road and take a top-end bike instead??? :) Just take the X and be glad! ;)

**Now if you had an R1 or a GSX-R 750/1000, i'd say bring hte bike, but Busa's don't handle all that well do they??

Brian2by2 said:
Hugh, why would you take away the sheer enjoyment of the NSX in that road and take a top-end bike instead??? :) Just take the X and be glad! ;)

**Now if you had an R1 or a GSX-R 750/1000, i'd say bring hte bike, but Busa's don't handle all that well do they??

Forget that I'll tell the guys bring up the RC51 for me and it's on. We'll have the bikes and the cars up. NICE

BTW, If your car is really lowered, say more than 1.5" Be careful, you will bottom out in the bowl. We go up all the time since it's only 4 hour away. We try to stay at the Charleston house a little B&B just outside hwy 28.

DocL said:
When you come through SC on 95 give me a holler. Try and meet up

Any room for a 2002 TT 996 - unless of course i do not sell my 98 NSXT by then!!!!
Sounds good to me!!!
Count me in - besides if Doc L isn't in town, my business lsows up anyway - so i might as well join in!!!!

ernest

Hugh,
I am holding you personally accountable for dangling that F#$%ing carrot - now organize this damn thing and stop teasing the rest of us with tose toys of yours - because we may just make you loan them to us for the trip!!!!!!

Dr. Gums

P.S.: anyone reading this - spread teh word on the sale of my beautiful 98 NSX-T!!!

Dr. Gums said:
Hugh,
I am holding you personally accountable for dangling that F#$%ing carrot - now organize this damn thing and stop teasing the rest of us with tose toys of yours - because we may just make you loan them to us for the trip!!!!!!

I'm going to knock heads with DocL next week and discuss possible dates in August.

As for the toys, I wish I had the Formula Busa. My Busa motor is on 2 wheels!

Hugh said:
I'm going to knock heads with DocL next week and discuss possible dates in August...

I already have my trip to the Pebble Beach Concours and Monterey Historic's race planned for August. July is the best time for myself and I know that July is also good for Gum-man.

July works for me too.

Now lets settle on some dates (mid-week) preferably. My schedulle is totally flexible so let's have the 2 dentists pick the dates then we'll go forward from there and get lodging information once we have a "show of hands"

Please let me know details when they are finalized. I'd like to go depending on dates...and with all these dentists going someone needs to take care of the feet (coverage from head to toe!)

I'm a little concerned about the auto train though, my X is lowered and only has 3 fingers clearance from the front spoiler and the ground/ train ramp.:eek:

The Auto Train idea died a quick death. We're planning on taking 3 or 4 mid-week days and driving up from South Florida. I've done it on my bike and it's a not a bad trip.

Once we've agreed on the dates, I'm going to call a few of the lodging establishments mentioned at http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ for rates and availability.

The Tapoco Lodge is probably the best for us though.

Area maps can be found here.

Then it will be up to whoever wants to go, to make their own reservations.

There are already 2 events going on in July so we should avoid these dates....

July 13-17 KatanaPlanet.com returns to Deals Gap for the 8th Bi-Annual KP Rally

July 24-25 Miatas at the Dragon VIII Yes, they are back and more than ever! (this is a weekend so it's not a big deal)

Last edited:
I say the week of July 19th. We can head up on Sunday and spend a few days driving the Tail and surrounding mountian roads.

But there is one thing that must be determined well in advance of the drive. Everyone must print and read "Riding the Pace". Even though it was written for motorcycles, it is also a good summary for cages (cars).

http://www.thevillagelocksmith.com/the_pace.htm

DocL said:
I say the week of July 19th. We can head up on Sunday and spend a few days driving the Tail and surrounding mountian roads.
If you don't want to rush to get up there, my suggestion would be to drive part way up on Saturday, and the rest of the way up on Sunday. By Sunday evening, the tourists should have cleared out, leaving plenty of time to make a run or two through the gap before dark.

I'm not sure how far north you'd want to drive in one day coming from south FL? Basing times on quick lookups on Mapquest, it's about 8 hours from Miami to Tifton, GA, and another 8 hours from Tifton to Deal's Gap. Don't know how accurate the first is, but the second is probably about right. I took 75 up to just south of Atlanta, then took 285->400->19->129, and followed 129 all the way up to the gap. Once you get off the Interstate it's a nice drive up on some scenic roads, with some curvy mountain roads from time to time. About 3-4 hours drive time if I remember correctly.

Some pictures from my trip, there are some near the beginning and end from the drive up/down:
http://rednsx.org/pics/trip/200311/picindex.html

My favorite :)

Whichever way we go, any trip to The Dragon sounds like a good one to me, so you can count me in as well.

Sketch said:
I'm not sure how far north you'd want to drive in one day coming from south FL? Basing times on quick lookups on Mapquest, it's about 8 hours from Miami to Tifton, GA, and another 8 hours from Tifton to Deal's Gap.

I have to pull out my maps from the last ride up to The Dragon but on the Busa, I left Boca at 6 AM and got into Robbinsville at around 7 PM.

I know I took the Turnpike all the way to the end then I-75 to Macon, GA. From that point I have to look at my maps for the route I took.

I'll call the Tapoco Lodge later today and get availability and rates.
I wonder if they honor the NSXCA discount? :)

taking our time to get there

let's leave on a Saturday and settle down in N. Florida - perhaps St. Augustine, or South Georgia - hang for the day, then off to the second leg of the trip!!!!

just my .02

ernest

Okay guys. Let's get this trip planned. A Saturday departure from S. Florida is a good idea. Let's make the overnight stay somewhere at the halfway point. I'd also like to stay for two nights once we get to the final destination.

Hugh, since you've done the trip before maybe you can plan the routes. Let's try to make this into an annual "Tail of the NSX" run.

Sketch, please provide us with as much information and suggestions on places to stay and the best travel times.

The same with Feetfxr. BTW, I was once considering opening an office with a Podiatrist and calling it "Head to Toe". :D

Just a reminder. Has everyone looked at "Keeping the Pace" yet. We don't want any damaged metal on this trip.

Back