• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm so confused my head hurts.

I'm so confused. What would you do?

• Sell it and get the Audi S4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell it and get some other car. The S4 is no good.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Keep it and don't drive it much so that it retains maximum value.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Keep it and drive it every day and watch it depreciate.

Votes: 41 69.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So here's the deal. I have a compulsion to keep my vehicles as nice and clean as possible. In the case of the NSX, that means not using it much and only parking it in careful locations. Because of that I've put 17K miles on it in 4 years and it doesn't have the first scratch inside and out. I kept my Porsche in the same condition for 40K miles, but I kept that 12 years.

There seems to be an excuse why I can't take the NSX. Where I want to park is a bad location; I need to haul computer parts, or other things that won't fit in the trunk; It may rain; I need to take more than one other person;

That's why selling it to someone who will use it and me getting a more practical but fun car is a good option.

So, as you may know when I had a serious buyer, (I ultimately made the deal go bad) I quickly went out and test drove some new cars as possible replacements. I think for a practical car I’m looking for a bit of luxury, gadgets (I'm a gadget freak), navigation, some nice wood trim, GREAT stereo, 4 person capacity, good looks, and still fun to drive.

1. Acura RL. The looks appeal to me. I like the adaptive headlights and the technology package. Not wild about the wood treatment of the dash and doors or the placement of the NAVI display, which reflects off the windshield at night. It's loaded with cool technology and of course has excellent build quality. The salesman was anxious for me to drive this 290 HP baby (re-rated from 300). I drove it on a 10 mile circuit of freeway and back roads.

Impressions: It's quiet, smooth and numb. Not a slug, but not the kind of power that gets the heart pumping. When we got back, the sales guy asked how I liked it. I finally told him that I think I need to age another 20 years before I can really appreciate this car. ( my sincere apologies to anyone who has one. It really is a nice car.. and allot for the money, but just not for me.)

He asked if I wanted to try a TL. said a little more sporty. I knew the TL was nice and took it out. Liked it much better than the RL. It felt considerably faster and more nimble. Steering had more road feel, not numb. Some torque steer when on the power, but not bad. So, I’m thinking that this could be a livable, practical car, and there are things I liked about it. I think Honda makes the best NAVI system, I like the cool blue lighted gauges and the seats are nice. It’s a shame they use plastic wood. I think its much better if plastic looks like plastic, carbon fiber looks like carbon fiber and wood looks like wood. The plastic wood really does have a fake appearance, but I could live with it.

Next I went to the Audi dealer down the street to look at an S4. The only one he had was a used 04 with tiptronic transmission. We took it for a spin and I just grinned the whole time. It was fun! Great steering and break feel. Power to make me smile and engine ‘noise’ to back it up. I forgot about the Acura’s and thought I needed an S4 to replace the NSX. But that’s not a perfect solution either. The S4 is fun, but on the outside it’s an A4. Nothing really special to look at. Not ugly, but not sexy either. The NSX gets stares everywhere. No one will look at the Audi.. not that I need that, but it’s a fact. The air of exoticness is not there. The Audi will also be a depreciation pig, especially the way I’d want it, with the tip auto trans and as an Avant wagon. (I have an older Avant A6 and I would not keep two Audi’s. The sedan has better resale value, but I use the wagon all the time to put things in the back. My 97 A6 was about 38K new and even in GREAT shape with 122K on the clock is worth about 3-4K. Audi’s depreciate to almost nothing. IMHO But.. I really liked driving it. The interior is nice. Real wood, killer stereo. Navi, and can be ordered with all the bells and whistles.

To throw another problem on the fire… I still love the NSX. I love looking at it, I love feeling it, I love hearing it, and I love driving it. So, what to do, what to do…

1. I can sell it to a good appreciative home… or anyone with the money for that matter and get an S4.
2. Sell it and get another car… if you think the Audi is a bad choice.
3. Keep it and don’t drive it much so that it retains maximum value.
4. Keep it and drive it almost every day. Put miles on it and enjoy it. Also watch it depreciate rapidly and agonize over each stone chip.

Be in good spirit, I’ve tried to make this post fun.. and it should be. Pleasure cars are just that; all about fun and enjoyment. But I do agonize over this stuff. I really don’t know what I’m going to do. Any one of the options seems to be the wrong thing.

Hope you had fun reading. Perhaps I touched a nerve in some of you. Pray for me (unless you saw the DeVincie Code and are a believer).

Best regards, as always
MikeC

Sounds like you will be having a hard time with door dings and scrapes no matter what you buy...I like my things to be nice too..but...if you can't use them for fear of making them imperfect..you should prolly work on that rather than trying to fix the symptom....keep the NSX..get a daily driver and work on being less anal...:smile: ...Just my .2

I daily drive my nsx, and reached this point after having several 'garage queen' type cars, as well as a few daily driver/fun car combinations - the point of the nsx is your ability to drive it on a daily basis without getting torpedo'd by maintinance costs - it's a reliable car, a fun car when pushed, but more than capable of being used to go to the office, fetch groceries, etc.

While nobody takes pleasure in getting door dings or watching a car depreciate you have to come to a point where you make a decision on whether or not you will stress over them and allow yourself to focus on them too much - this is not to say the discovery of a door ding does not ruin ones day, but rather it is to say I know they will happen, the nsx is a wide car, I park it next to other cars owned by careless owners, and I am not going to rush over to the paint shop to get my doors resprayed and pulled everytime it does. As far as depreciation is concerned... consider your resale value; a "well driven" 1991 nsx, in average condition, with up-to-date service (clutch/timing belt), and say 100k miles, is worth around $25k give or take - a garage queen nsx, with up-to-date service, will have cost the previous owner the same amount of cash given maintinace has time as well as mileage intervals, and with low miles (eg 30k), might be worth around $35k - is it worth $10k to you, over the course of 15 years, to enjoy your nsx more than 3x as much as the garage queen?

The proceeds from an nsx sale will not buy you something with the same level of enjoyment as the nsx, the differance in sale price between an 'enjoyed' and an 'admired' nsx is trivial, especially over several years of ownership, I say you drive the car and enjoy it - just don't obsess about the door dings too much :biggrin:

scorp965 said:
The proceeds from an nsx sale will not buy you something with the same level of enjoyment as the nsx, the differance in sale price between an 'enjoyed' and an 'admired' nsx is trivial, especially over several years of ownership, I say you drive the car and enjoy it - just don't obsess about the door dings too much :biggrin:

You are exactly right. One other observation... I would have no problem driving the S4 every day BECAUSE it is nothing special. A fun car, but not exotic.. and really just an A4 with a big engine and upgrades. It will depreciate heavily whether its driven or not.

The nice thing about the nsx is it's depreciation has, more or less, leveled off, at least for the moment - you will not lose money by enjoying the nsx on a daily basis, you will lose money by buying an Audi.

The nsx, while a car we all hold dear, isn't quite limited enough to prevent me from enjoying it on a daily basis - it is something special, but it is not cost-prohibitive, it's a $30-40k automobile that was built to be driven.

I suggest trying a C6. It is a really nice car and one that you don't have to constantly worry about it getting messed up. It is light years ahead of the C5 IMO.

NetViper said:
I suggest trying a C6. It is a really nice car and one that you don't have to constantly worry about it getting messed up. It is light years ahead of the C5 IMO.

I tried.. yes.. It's a performing car.. to be sure. It is a big car. lots of wavy fiberglass, SMC, or whatever plastic they make them out of these days. I didn't want to test drive one. I just looked in the window. I've been spoiled by nice things I guess. I couldn't live with the cheap looking plastic interior.

No one take offense, but it's just not for me. I would rather have my NSX over a vette any day.

mikec said:
I tried.. yes.. It's a performing car.. to be sure. It is a big car. lots of wavy fiberglass, SMC, or whatever plastic they make them out of these days. I didn't want to test drive one. I just looked in the window. I've been spoiled by nice things I guess. I couldn't live with the cheap looking plastic interior.

No one take offense, but it's just not for me. I would rather have my NSX over a vette any day.

Size wise the vette is 2" longer than the NSX. It is probably 2-3" wider too, but I don't have the stats infront of me.

The interior is a big improvement over the C5, but I still think the NSX looks better --even being 15 years old.

I think you should still drive it and see what you think. I was really impressed and I have never been a huge vette fan. In fact, I always enjoyed telling my dad (who has a C5) how I could hand him his ass on the track with a 13 y/o car. :)

mikec said:
I think for a practical car I’m looking for a bit of luxury, gadgets (I'm a gadget freak), navigation, some nice wood trim, GREAT stereo, 4 person capacity, good looks, and still fun to drive.
=VW Phaeton W12...you will love it!

Usually i would say drive it daily but because you are in the habit of not putting alot of miles on it, it might be difficult for you to all of a sudden start daily driving your nsx and watch the miles pile on. Your nsx has been well kept and maintained by you and only you. So if you sell and decide that you want another one later, its going to be a task finding one for sale in near perfect condition like you know yours has been kept. Just something for you to consider.

Mike -

You have a beautiful car and I go through many of the same thoughts and tormenting quandries as you.

I've finally come to the conclusion that keeping the car pristine and with the lowest of low miles only benefits the next owner. It does nothing for me.

Luckily, I have a third car that I can take the airports or baseball games when I'd really be worried about door dings but I'm even driving my 1998 to work a lot now.

It gets great gas milage, every drive is fun, and truth be told the lion's share of the depreciation was absorbed by the previous owner.

Now get out there and enjoy that beautiful car!

Solution:

Step 1. Go to your garage
Step 2. Get in your nsx
Step 3. Open the garage door
Step 4. Turn the ignition to the 'on' position
Step 5. Let the car warm up
Step 6. Take some fun canyon roads or otherwise enjoy your automobile
Step 7. Repeat tomorrow

mikec said:
4. Keep it and drive it almost every day. Put miles on it and enjoy it. Also watch it depreciate rapidly and agonize over each stone chip.

But I do agonize over this stuff.

My wife does too. She curbed one of the wheels on the A4 cab the other day and she creid she was so upset. I am just the oppisite. I drive all of my vehicles when I want and really don't care that much what happens to them. In the end it is just a car anyways. Yesterday I had a gallon of red paint bust open in the bed of my Titan pickup. No big deal I just sprayed black paint over it and it looks fine.:biggrin:

I'm a bit confused. You have an A6 as a beater and the NSX as the fun car. Why can't just stick with what you have.:confused: Do you have the new car itch? I can't blame you. I get that every 1.5 - 2 years. But If you like the NSX so much why would you want to get rid of it and take a hit on depreciation.

If the A6 is getting old - replace it with the S4 or A4 with the V6. The other option if you like VWs is the new passat 3.6 with sport/dynaudio. I bought one 3 months ago for $33K+ TTL. I absolutely love it.

Either way - good luck.

Dude, I just got mine two months ago, have over 4K on it and last weekend scraped the crap out of my rear wheels. One on a curb and the other at a car wash. 99 bucks each to get fixed BFD. I just love driving this thing so much that there is no way I would give it up to drive some family sedan. You have an NSX in hand, drive it and don't worry. They were never built to be put on a slab and worshiped. Any car you drive will be the same, there is not one car that I have not taken extra care to keep perfect from a Ford SVT Focus through to the NSX. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.....Life is way too short.....Steve

Mike, you seem like a really great guy and keep your cars in great shape, especially the NSX.

If I was shopping for a new NSX, I'd snap up your NSX in a second.

Having said that, I think you will really regret selling your NSX.

I have a really sweet NSX, and there are times when I don't drive it, and I have thoughts of selling it. But the moment I get behind the wheel, I know I made the right decision to keep it.

Also, I've talked to my wife about selling it, as it sits most of the time, since it can't fit 3, and we have 4 vehicles. However, my wife knows how much I love the NSX and encourages me to keep it. Talk about having a great wife. :)

Bottom line - don't sell it!!! Keep it!! In the overall scheme of things, we NSX owners (generally) make enough money to make owning an extra car trivial. I've thought about adding to my fleet and acquiring a 5th vehicle - either a IS 250/350, a convertible of some type (Saturn Sky), etc. The only thing that's stopping me is that I only have a 3 car garage, and I don't want 2 cars sitting out in the blazing hot AZ sun.

Good luck!!!

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation.

I think you know that you will really miss your NSX if you sell it, and if you sell it and find yourself wanting another one, you won't find a used one that will satisfy you.

I say don't sell it b/c you will want another one and will kick yourself everyday b/c you won't find another one as nice as yours. Drive it when you can. Look at it every day and don't feel bad if you don't take it out too much. Just enjoy the times you do take it out.

So, where does that leave you? If you can, you need to get yourself a "beater" car. It doesn't have to be an ugly car, but just one that you won't need to put much effort in to. A used late 80's or early 90's Honda Civic, Integra, Toyota Celica, etc.

Mike, regardless on how nice, quite, and comfortable your S4 could be I'm sure you will want to get another NSX after some time. I had the same feeling and purchased my CLK55 with voice activated bluetooth phone system, keyless go, active wiper, lights, and even the seat belt is handed to me by the electric holder gizmo. It is quite, nice, elegant, quiet but I still miss my Mitsubishi Evolution I traded and the way it drives. I really thougt I could get over the evo with the added power but I need the handling too. I'm sure you will feel the same way about the NSX. What i'm saying is that you should have a comfortable daily car and a sports car at all time. My advice is to keep your current setup or upgrade the A6 to S4 or NSX to Porsche or something just as radical.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm taking the NSX to work tomorrow.. its nice out.. I will however, park at the end of the lot.. like I always do.

Thanks again Friends. You're a good group.

Mike, I have a 92 NSX. I put over 147,000 miles on it in almost 13 years. It still looks like new. Take a look at the pictures I have in the NSXPRIME owners gallery. It does not have 1 door ding. It has some rock chips on the front end but that's just 147,000 miles of high speed driving here in Austin Texas. I just always park away from other cars and get a little excersise walking to stores and stuff. I think you need to keep your car and drive it. By the way I had thoughts of making you an offer when you had it up for sale but you live a little far from here.

Good luck in your decisions and future endeavors.

Warren Wiemann
whwnsx

Last edited:
Just keep it and drive it. When I got my NSX about 3 years ago it was very clean with few scratches. Over the time ive had it with daily driving its gotten a few chips and door dings, and the paint has faded slightly on the bumpers, but its still as awesome as when I got it. Theres nothing that can replace the feeling in my opinion, Ive driven my stepdads 996 turbo, and my dads maserati, but its just not the same.

When I first got it I was the same way as you and babied it as much as I could, and agonized over the first dings. After a few dings when you know theres nothing you could have done it starts to hurt less. I still have a lot of pride in my car and keep it in as good shape as I can for a daily driver, but I no longer agonize over every small blemish. I still park at the end of the parking lot, and I still check the doors after people have parked next to me, but I think that feeling of driving it is worth it.

Also It has a surprising amount of room if you organize stuff properly. Ive had my computer in the back and my 21" crt in the front seat, and still had plenty of room. I can fit as many groceries as I need into it also. I can tell you want to keep it. Down the line if you feel you need to repaint, it will still probably cost less than the money you lost from depreciation on the audi. Thats all just my 2 cents.

vtecNSX1 said:
Also It has a surprising amount of room if you organize stuff properly. Ive had my computer in the back and my 21" crt in the front seat, and still had plenty of room. I can fit as many groceries as I need into it also. I can tell you want to keep it. Down the line if you feel you need to repaint, it will still probably cost less than the money you lost from depreciation on the audi. Thats all just my 2 cents.

You should have seen me driving with a boxed 32" LCD widescreen wedged vertically in the passenger seat.

Daily Drive FTW.

you made my head hurt too, grr...

Da Hapa said:
... keeping the car pristine and with the lowest of low miles only benefits the next owner. It does nothing for me.

AWESOME insight Da Hapa/Christian!
icon14.gif

To be concise: sell your garage-queen '01 Spa Yellow NSX-T. Buy a well maintained/serviced and cared for, but driven/non-garage_queen '97 NSX-T. The $15k-$17.5k difference will give you peace-of-mind as well as not having to be so meticulous and regimented in your ownership of the NSX. You can enjoy it, drive it at will w/o doing much at all to affect it's value or resale appeal.

What's the difference between a '97 NSX-T and an '01 NSX-T? Alot of money that someone still has the potential of `losing` (not the most apt word, but oh well).

As others have stated, keep your NSX for those special sunny weekend drives and have your daily driver. I'm like you (01 Spa Yellow) and I only take it out on nice weekends. But I have a 01 Prelude SH and a 92 Integra GS-R for daily drivers that you can still have fun in when not in the NSX. I vote for keep the NSX :biggrin:

Back