• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Impressions of my new NSX

I have been wanting to post my impressions of my new 2005 NSX for a while now, but everytime I have a spare minute, I am itching to go drive again. I made 400 posts between the time I bought the car and the time I got my keys... and now that I have my keys, I find I have no time for you people or this forum any longer.... :tongue:

I am sorry.

I am just too busy... driving and grinning.... its what I am going to do as soon as I hit "submit", close the lid of my laptop, lock my office door...

OK, I have to go... I am losing precious driving time typing....

Driving impressions to come... I can just some it up with one word for now:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!

TURBO2GO said:
I have been wanting to post my impressions of my new 2005 NSX for a while now, but everytime I have a spare minute, I am itching to go drive again. I made 400 posts between the time I bought the car and the time I got my keys... and now that I have my keys, I find I have no time for you people or this forum any longer.... :tongue:

I am sorry.

I am just too busy... driving and grinning.... its what I am going to do as soon as I hit "submit", close the lid of my laptop, lock my office door...

OK, I have to go... I am losing precious driving time typing....

Driving impressions to come... I can just some it up with one word for now:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!

We understand!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Let us know what you really think when the Adrenalin flow coupled with the Endorphin chaser slows down. Of course then the SC arrives and the cycle will repeat itself.:eek: :biggrin: :wink:

Be safe,
Bob

Good for you. Enjoy.:biggrin:

Hi Turbo2Go

Congrats on having bought a car that you cannot get enough off.
Maybe you should by something like this, add a nice GPRS/UMTS-card to it and then let us know on the run how you feel :smile:

Attachments

• Flybook1.jpg
    Flybook1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 91
So how do you feel about the car stock. Even though I know you are going to mod it what do you think of it out of the box???

needspeed said:
So how do you feel about the car stock. Even though I know you are going to mod it what do you think of it out of the box???

Well to me the most impressive is the suspension. I am amazed of the supple ride with the level of handling this car has. "Adult rollercoaster" is what a passenger just called the thing yesterday. The streets here are terrible but I will say for a fact... the ride is much better compared to something even like the Maserati GS that I recently drove. The suspension also commuincates with me so well, I feel in such control even at ultra high speeds... I think this is one thing that for me, with these roads, will always remain stock and I love it.

I am amazed of how quiet the stock exhaust is. I hear a growl when I get on the motor, but its not the exhaust at all!!! Its the intake! I threw the downforce AIS in which essentialy doubled the volume of that growl, and in Vtec its just nasty.... but where is the exhaust noise? I don't hear it at all. I thought the clip on the official exhaust thread was nice stock, but now I realize that was not the exhaust I was hearing. For me, and I am conservative, this is too quiet and has to go. Its just too bottled up.

The driving position and the view are awesome. You feel the speed when the ground is right in front of you... great visibility... I really *LIKE* sitting this low now.

I find the throws on the stock lever to be a bit long. I also have caught myself grabbing the stick BELOW the knob... it feels more comfortable for me as my arm rests on the armrest. This is something I will definitely change.

I think I may have to keep the stock radio, and upgrade the speakers and amps. My factory CD changer plays MP3!! Does yours Steve? It says "MP3" right on the changer. I leave the top off too often, and I prefer the stealth of the factory radio... I don't want some clown damaging my car to get to a $2400 nav/radio. I have a portable Magellan 700 I may just use that.

My second gear is sometimes a bit notchy. Not bad, but not as smooth as the shift to third, 4th, etc... I try matching revs, but it doesn't help. Seems to be better at times, but I am having Acura check it out.

Overall, I can't believe how quick, responsive, and FUN this car is. I really don't have any desire to upgrade in a year. My thoughts of keeping the milage low and resale high have been thrown out the window. This is no Benz or Aston to be babied and waxed... this car is to be DRIVEN. And it really makes me wonder... when I "Upgrade", where am I going to GO?!!! Ferrari? forget it... too finicky... Maserati? I have more fun in my NSX... The only thing I see happening is my going to the new HSC if its really better.

This car is just *ME*. It fits me so well in every way. Its definitely a car that is not for everyone. Two seats, mostly stick, low position, no "cachet" with the name, expensive, its not for everybody. Thank God. I have seen one other NSX in like 4 months. People ask me all the time what it is, and I reply "Honda"... to which their reply is "really?" in a "maybe I will buy one if its $25,000" tone of voice...

So far my mods were the AIS, removal of the badges, and my attempt at the short thow shifter (which I have to tackle again with a grinder). I gotta say... I am pretty happy... a better muffler will make me more happy. The engine revs, sounds awesome, is smooth, the intake is demonic on Vtec, I am happy happy happy happy. I ****LOVE**** driving this thing.

I am having second thoughts on the necessity of a Supercharger... but... I have bought it already and will have to either sell it or intsall it. I will miss the change in sonic character. I just love it right now. I am torn on what to do with the SC... this car is awesome as it is.

:)

Turbo, it's nice to see another happy new owner. The HSC is guarantee to be better with 500 HP. I'm expecting them to make the HSC to last another 15 years + body style/performance/etc.

If you like the car power as it is now, OH MY GOSH, you might as well book a honeymoon with your NSX for several more years ahead. :)

Way too funny!

Wondering about getting the SC, blasphamy! You'll put it in and your car will be the same, but a monster.

It is completely a cliche, but its the honest truth. The CTSC is how this car should have come. Its is not a different feel from stock, but its just more. More power everywhere. More fun everywhere. More smiles everywhere. If this was a factory option, I bet you that this car would have sold WAY more cars than it did; thankfully it wasnt ;)

You put it in as soon as it arrives and dont you dare think twice.

I too dont know where Im gong after this; but I also do not see any possible reason Id let my NSX go.

Dear Turbo,
Welcome to our world, I just want to address a few of your concerns/points. Regarding the 2nd gear notchiness, I also was concerned when I got my then new 02, and had Acura check it out. This is normal, it's most evident when the car is cold, and regardless of the outside temp, it does take some time to properly warm up the tranny, after awhile, it's just like butter.
I leased my car for 3 years, that lease ended in February. I wish I knew for sure when the HSC (or if) it's really coming, but I don't, so for now, I've extended the lease until September. There really isn't anything out there that seems realistic to me as far as my wanting it and being able to sell it to the wife and having a dependable exotic (the term itself defines NSX). After 3 years with each of my previous cars, I was itching to get into something new, now all I want is it to be nice out so I can take off the top and go for a ride!!!!
In September I'll probably buy the car off lease, and throw some wheels on (change the look a little) and probably an exhaust, otherwise it's perfect just the way it is!!!!:cool:

BioBanker said:
Way too funny!

You put it in as soon as it arrives and dont you dare think twice.

hehe OK man... OK... whatever you say... I can't see being even more happy, I already made my girlfriend mad because I said "I just LOVE this car so much"...

RPM217 said:
Dear Turbo,
Welcome to our world, I just want to address a few of your concerns/points. Regarding the 2nd gear notchiness, I also was concerned when I got my then new 02, and had Acura check it out. This is normal, it's most evident when the car is cold, and regardless of the outside temp, it does take some time to properly warm up the tranny, after awhile, it's just like butter.
I leased my car for 3 years, that lease ended in February. I wish I knew for sure when the HSC (or if) it's really coming, but I don't, so for now, I've extended the lease until September. There really isn't anything out there that seems realistic to me as far as my wanting it and being able to sell it to the wife and having a dependable exotic (the term itself defines NSX). After 3 years with each of my previous cars, I was itching to get into something new, now all I want is it to be nice out so I can take off the top and go for a ride!!!!
In September I'll probably buy the car off lease, and throw some wheels on (change the look a little) and probably an exhaust, otherwise it's perfect just the way it is!!!!:cool:

I hear you... my cars:

Anniversary Trans Am (what can I say, I was a 19 year old punk making car payments)

1985 Corvette (this was a loaner to me for many months from a friend)

Several Nissans (not worth mentioning)

Toyota Supra turbo at crazy HP levels

Lexus SC400

Mercedes CL600 coupe

NSX.

I have never had as much fun as I have in this car. Not even close. And I have had some nice cars.

TURBO2GO said:
I am having second thoughts on the necessity of a Supercharger... but... I have bought it already and will have to either sell it or intsall it. I will miss the change in sonic character. I just love it right now. I am torn on what to do with the SC... this car is awesome as it is.

With the Comptech you pretty much kiss that great engine noise away. The BBSC is better, but you still lose that great OEM growl. With my Anytime Exhaust you can hear it everytime you really get on it. It is fantastic. Stay away for the GT lightweight unless you want a bunch of droning in the cabin.

TURBO2GO said:
My second gear is sometimes a bit notchy. Not bad, but not as smooth as the shift to third, 4th, etc... I try matching revs, but it doesn't help. Seems to be better at times, but I am having Acura check it out.

This is normal, as NSX's second gear synchro is double coned to withstand the abuse. You dont have to worry about it.

I also agree with you that NSX's stock exhaust needs more visceral tone. I recommend GruppeM! I have heard almost all of the aftermarket ones in person, and have yet to hear anything better. I have a Version 2 which is no longer made. Before you choose an exhaust, it is imperative to listen to as many as possible. Sound files are just not the same as hearing it in metal.

If you are conservative however, GruppeM might not be for you, as anything above 3000 would make your car shrieking loud. If I can describe the GruppeM's sounds in one word, it is "piercing".

In any case, you owe it to yourself to hear them in metal. Have fun!

Last edited:
F1VTEC said:
This is normal, as NSX's second gear synchro is double coned to withstand the abuse. You dont have to worry about it.

I also agree with you that NSX's stock exhaust needs more visceral tone. I recommend GruppeM! I have heard almost all of the aftermarket ones in person, and have yet to hear anything better. I have a Version 2 which is no longer made. Before you choose an exhaust, it is imperative to listen to as many as possible. Sound files are just not the same as hearing it in metal.

If you are conservative however, GruppeM might not be for you, as anything above 3000 would make your car shrieking loud. If I can describe the GruppeM's sounds in one word, it is "piercing".

In any case, you owe it to yourself to hear them in metal. Have fun!

The car did have 3K before I bought it so I just was worried there may be some damage. Its good to hear others say theirs is a bit notchy too.

I will choose my exhaust carefully o'wise one. Thanks for the feedback. I am actually thinking about the $4500 Gtrom V5 with the valve in titanium. I really have gone mad.

I don't want to do anything other than drive anymore. I am just itching to get out of my office... last night I am asking my girlfriend if she needs any ingredients to cook with so I can make a supermarket run. Then I said "you are tired, lets go out to eat" so I can drive again... I sit in the restuarant and eat fast so I can hurry up and get out and drive again... "check please" I said before she was halfway done... I wake up in the morning and I think "Oh please let the weather be nice so I can take off the top and drive again"...

Somebody please help me... I have gone mad I tell you! MAD!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

isn't that what I have been telling you before you get the car?? ;)

If you want to prolong the appreciation and enjoyment of the nsx, keeping other car as daily driver and take the nsx whenever you wanted it... It'll amazed you by the time the car rolled off the driveway.

Honestly, the CTSC can wait. No insult, but there's really not any road you could legally enjoying your car with stock settings already. Now go sign up for a HPDE, you will appreciate the car even more...

Some will disagree, but exhaust is all it takes for adding the "flavor" to nsx's easy-to-live with Honda accord personality. With the stock exhaust, I found the flywheel noise a little annoying at times.

Welcome, finally and truely, to the world of nsx owners...

Good for you. I feel the same way about this car. I cannot let it sit in the garage. I am disappointed when I actually get where I am going cause I have to stop driving it.

I pulled my stock audio system out already, so I did not get a chance to try MP3s. I hope someone else can answer your question.

As to others comments, I also would be hard pressed to figure out what I would trade into when a few years go by. I talked to my dealer, who said he would let me do a deposit for his first next generation NSX at MSRP. But who knows if Acura can hit another Grand Slam on the first pitch. I have never driven a car that is just so right in so many ways.

Agree with others that say Acura should have bumped the power. But even then, if your just on the streets, you can get in a hell of a lot of trouble in this car just as it is. I have found myself at a 140 a few times without giving it much thought........Have fun, I do not think it will ever wear off........Steve

TURBO2GO said:
... The driving position and the view are awesome. You feel the speed when the ground is right in front of you... great visibility... I really *LIKE* sitting this low now...

Funny how your feelings change about being so low to the ground after driving the car for awhile :tongue: We're all glad it's working out for you, you've just caught on to what we've known all along, it's a wonderful well built sports car!

Hey Turbo2

I know exactly how you feel. As you probably saw in the posts, I just picked up mine about a week ago now. Unfortunately, I just flew into S. Korea for a visit. So I can't drive my car for almost 2 weeks. I really miss it alot.:frown:

And I did the same thing, I found myself trying to find an excuse to go out.

By the way, mine has a taitec exhaust and I love the sound of my exhaust. I didn't hear any other including stock. But I really like my exhaust. If you have a chance you should check it out plus it's only 15 lbs.

We really should enjoy drving this thing.

Go drive!!!!! FAST!!!:biggrin:

lol, glad to hear your're enjoying your NSX:wink: Almost makes me want to go out and pick up another NSX:biggrin: maybe next year if I don't trade my 996tt for a 997tt, I'll pick up another NSX to keep my "P" company:tongue:

Hello and welcome. I love hearing you tell all the things I feel about my own car. I have a few observations too:

1. 2nd gear. Mine is the same. Very common. nothing wrong.

2. I think someone replaced the factory CD changer with an aftermarket one that plays MP3's. I did that with mine. Much better.

3. It gets pretty expensive and complicated to replace the factory speakers and amps. I 'saved' my stereo by simply adding small tweeters above the door sill. It makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Brings an otherwise dull sound to life.

4. Exhaust. I decided on the drive back from the Acura dealer when I first bought my car that the factory exhaust gotta go. I put on a Tubi. Love it! I also love the induction growl and would not want to modify anything that quiets it. A supercharger may be nice sometime, but I don't use all the power it has now. I'm a pretty conservitive driver.

Best of luck.. and Best regards.
MikeC

Attachments

• Tweeter.jpg
    Tweeter.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 127
mikec said:
Hello and welcome. I love hearing you tell all the things I feel about my own car. I have a few observations too:

1. 2nd gear. Mine is the same. Very common. nothing wrong.

2. I think someone replaced the factory CD changer with an aftermarket one that plays MP3's. I did that with mine. Much better.

3. It gets pretty expensive and complicated to replace the factory speakers and amps. I 'saved' my stereo by simply adding small tweeters above the door sill. It makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Brings an otherwise dull sound to life.

4. Exhaust. I decided on the drive back from the Acura dealer when I first bought my car that the factory exhaust gotta go. I put on a Tubi. Love it! I also love the induction growl and would not want to modify anything that quiets it. A supercharger may be nice sometime, but I don't use all the power it has now. I'm a pretty conservitive driver.

Best of luck.. and Best regards.
MikeC

Hey Mike, can you give me the details on that tweeter and the install?

Thanks
Len

len3.8 said:
Hey Mike, can you give me the details on that tweeter and the install?

Thanks
Len

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36241&highlight=tweeter

Sjones, who is a member of Prime did it first. He recessed his into the piece of garnish plastic, but that necessitated cutting the metal bracket that holds the plastic on. I perferred not to cut anything, so I surface mounted mine using hot glue to hold it on.

I parallelled the wires from the door speaker and ran it inside the door and up to the plastice triangular piece (i wish i knew the correct name for it). I had to drill two small holes; one on top of the speaker box at the bottom of the door to run the wire out; the other in the center of the plastic thingy.

I can't say enough about how it makes a world of difference. Mind you, the stereo is not great, but is now tolorable.

Regards,
MikeC

F1VTEC said:
This is normal, as NSX's second gear synchro is double coned to withstand the abuse. You dont have to worry about it...

The second gear in my '94 NSX grinds when shifting fast.....is this the double cone effect??

Me too. My '05 has that notchy feeling when shifting between 1st->2nd when tranny isn't warmed up.

Back