• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interested in Taitec diffuser Replica!?!

I was at a local car meet here in Orange County California and was introduced from a friend of mine to a couple of guys that make carbon fiber for Supra's and other cars like 350z. Well...as time passed we became friends and he told me that he can make the Taitec rear diffuser.

The company that will be making it will be Modellista Designs..http://www.modellistadesigns.com/

They have been very sucessful in making Supra kits that fit Perfect..and are comming out with the JGTC style widebody kit for supra. They have rare carbon fiber pieces for supra and other cars...those of you that own supras know this name on supraforums.

Well...he told me that if we can get the ball rolling he will make the diffuser exactly like the Taitec one with all the mounting brackets and all!

The price will be 850.00-1000.00 brand new, and fit perfect...they have good feedback from supra owners and take this project very seriously.

Now here's the deal. They will need the orginal Taitec for a month...in return they will give you the first prototype which will be the exactly the same as orginal with mounting brackets and also the orginal Taitec they borrowed. Basically your lending them it and making 850-1000.00 for letting them use it. Also if they damage your orginal in anyway, they will pay for it!...also this agreement will be on paper.

If your up for letting them use it please let me know!...it will need to be shipped out end of this month...so I prefer So-cal owners with the diffuser.

Also if you guys are interested please post on this thread, I will be having lunch with them on wednsday and will be back with the official pricing which won't break the 1000.00 dollar mark.

The process of carbon fiber will be wet-lay.

Thanks Prime.

So nobody else like the idea?!?

Please chime in, I just trying to save you guys some cash that want this.

Thanks, Mark

Alittleboost said:
So nobody else like the idea?!?

Please chime in, I just trying to save you guys some cash that want this.

Thanks, Mark

Perhaps the luke-warm response and reply to take off-line is due to the fact that directly and blatantly ripping off part and product designs (composite parts, brake kits, etc..) for the purposes of resale - aside from being frowned upon in almost every business circle - in a market as small as the tightly knit NSX or Supra online communities, is akin to theft.

It hurts the manufacturers, the vendors, and very often the consumers whom purchase such copies. Since reputation is everything, volume is low, and many of these Japanese or domestic companies have literally just a handful of employees and limited fiscal resources, its also taken rather personal when this occurs as usually the gain is so marginalized as to be almost laudable.

For composite parts as mentioned, such copies have previously been prevalent across international borders (often times coming from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Taiwan</st1:place></st1:country-region>) and until recently due to economic or legal principles minimally enforced by manufacturers or vendors abroad- especially for lower cost high turn-over platforms like the civic.

That attitude is fast changing as more international manufacturers seek to globalize their products and services and preserve/assert their intellectual property rights internationally. In fact, we have invested significant legal resources already at our own expense already to help some of the vendors with whom we work to mitigate the damages this causes.

As an authorized Taitec dealer, frankly I would rather cut the NSX community a deal on a group buy and have everyone get the real thing, even if it costs slightly more - it is our firm belief that the end result is better for everyone- including the consumer whom stands the most to benefit from the future development of new parts.

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I think the Downforce diffuser is very close to the Taitec diffuser. I'm not sure if it will fit on OEM rear fenders :confused:

8573DSCN2540.JPG

speed within reach said:
Perhaps the luke-warm response and reply to take off-line is due to the fact that directly and blatantly ripping off part and product designs (composite parts, brake kits, etc..) for the purposes of resale - aside from being frowned upon in almost every business circle - in a market as small as the tightly knit NSX or Supra online communities, is akin to theft.

It hurts the manufacturers, the vendors, and very often the consumers whom purchase such copies. Since reputation is everything, volume is low, and many of these Japanese or domestic companies have literally just a handful of employees and limited fiscal resources, its also taken rather personal when this occurs as usually the gain is so marginalized as to be almost laudable.

For composite parts as mentioned, such copies have previously been prevalent across international borders (often times coming from Tawain) and until recently due to economic or legal principles minimally enforced by manufacturers or vendors abroad- especially for lower cost high turn-over platforms like the civic.

That attitude is fast changing as more international manufacturers seek to globalize their products and services and preserve/assert their intellectual property rights internationally. In fact, we have invested significant legal resources already at our own expense already to help some of the vendors with whom we work to mitigate the damages this causes.

As an authorized Taitec dealer, frankly I would rather cut the NSX community a deal on a group buy and have everyone get the real thing, even if it costs slightly more - it is our firm belief that the end result is better for everyone- including the consumer whom stands the most to benefit from the future development of new parts.

Regards,

John

I understand where your comming from, I met these guys and they said they can save me hundreds if they can copy it. So I agreed to ask prime..I not trying to run people out of business altough some companies are. I see hoods copied all the time! and other body kits..trust me, i used to work in the aftermarket industry. Some things are just over priced in my book, so other companies see an opportunity to make the same product cheaper. A example would be VIS making all their hoods like there new vented one and they copy kits all the time! I'm not trying to be like wal-mart of body kits or either is the company mentioned above, running shops out of business...it just the law of supply and demand. I sure that if a product comes out with is the same as another but one sold for cheaper...of course the cheaper one is going to sale. Taitec in Japan has to deal with the dollar to yen value and import taxes that this company doesn't.

I just seeing if people want in or they just want the original...I want the diffuser myself and if I can save over 500.00 dollars for the exact same product I don't see why not? Taitec can write to the company above or yourself if there is copyright laws...but hey, look at VIS racing, Extreme Dimensions, importfan...these are all made sales over 5 million a year! from copied bodykits. I just want a simple diffuser.

the downforce diffuser is VERY similar to taitecs. but it will NOT fit a normal fender. if you notice, btween the 3 pieces (side spats, and center) there's a wider extension piece that has been riveted to accomidate the wider length. plus the side spats are shaved inwards to meet close into the fender. so its a bit more angular than the taitec from side view...

otherwise, for the downforce widebody, it works well... JZ's car seems to have just used the actual taitec diffuser on the widebody. you'll notice his diffuser doesn't reach out to the fender widths...

speed within reach said:

For composite parts as mentioned, such copies have previously been prevalent across international borders (often times coming from Tawain) and until recently due to economic or legal principles minimally enforced by manufacturers or vendors abroad- especially for lower cost high turn-over platforms like the civic.

Regards,

John

Good point John, however I noticed you use to sell a "replica" Marga Hills side skirt....

http://www.speedwithinreach.com/~speed/cgi-bin/cart.cgi/000127.html

legendr35 said:
Good point John, however I noticed you use to sell a "replica" Marga Hills side skirt....

The vinny's skirt was an improvement over the original design, not a direct 1:1 copy made to compete with Marga Hills or to improve margin.

The project initiated because of fitment issues on the owners vehicle, and due to community interest was later offered on a limited basis.

legendr35 said:

The vinny's skirt was an improvement over the original design, not a direct 1:1 copy made to compete with Marga Hills or to improve margin.

The project initiated because of fitment issues on the owners vehicle, and due to community interest was later offered on a limited basis.

speed within reach said:

I understand that the Magra Hills sides are made for widebody...and as you said you did this for the community interest. So is the Taitec diffuser is also made for community interest. I trying to offer the NSX community this diffuser for a cheaper price.

Alittleboost said:
I understand that the Magra Hills sides are made for widebody...and as you said you did this for the community interest. So is the Taitec diffuser is also made for community interest. I trying to offer the NSX community this diffuser for a cheaper price.

We appreciate anyone's efforts to support the NSX community, and we at SWR encourage original designs and new products from all corners of the globe. We assess new goods all the time and often times it is a very delicate balance between community interest and good business practice when deciding what to list (e.g. Honda OEM replica parts).

Copies themselves aren't usually as much of a problem as the way they are marketed. If you decide to proceed and make a copy, be aware that it should be advertised as such, and not be marketed using the original manufacturers brand name/logo as that would be willful infringement (e.g. Sparco shoes at $35 without the Nomex label) and may well result in legal action.

Myself and Michael have discussed this at great length, and our intention as per our initial post was to simply to make the community aware that one of the primary reasons that many of these small vendors in Japan are reluctant to export their products to the US (aside from the hassles of international commerce) is because of the tendency for them to be ripped off wholesale.

The American way revolves around marginal quality, fast, cheap, and throw-away goods. It is a very price sensitive environment. In Japan, quality and reputation come foremost, and investments are usually retained for much longer periods by consumers. This is why you more often see the types of higher-end goods available from there as is the case in consumer electronics.

The reason that you may in theory be able to offer the Taitec diffuser cheaper, is that you didn't have to initially expend anything for the R&D of the original part. If you do not consider that a product can be worth more than the sum of its parts or actual fabrication costs, then I can easily understand your perspective and justification for making a copy of a diffuser from Taitec or maybe a cam shaft from revolution. It really is no different than pirating copies of Windows.

However, for Taitec, whom has operating capital under 20 million yen and literally a handful of employees, even a few units do have a strong impact as worldwide sales on many of their NSX products are by design under 25-35 units. If every time they release a product for the NSX market, someone here snags one just to make a copy so they can personally save some minimal amount like 30%, eventually they will stop exporting their goods abroad to the detriment of everyone in the NSX community.

As Taitec is one of the leading aftermarket companies that are still actively designing, producing, and fielding new performance parts for the NSX aftermarket application, like the new headlights they just released, this should be relevant to enthusiasts that consume these parts on an on-going basis and look forward to support from Taitec in the future.

Last edited:
what about manufacturing a rear diffuser that mimics the one that honda had on the 2002 nsx-r. i believe it was only on the show car. looked similar to the oem that SOS sells, but the fins were larger.

i think that would sell nicely to those of us who have 2002+ rear valences.

speed within reach said:
We appreciate anyone's efforts to support the NSX community, and we at SWR encourage original designs and new products from all corners of the globe. We assess new goods all the time and often times it is a very delicate balance between community interest and good business practice when deciding what to list (e.g. Honda OEM replica parts).

Copies themselves aren't usually as much of a problem as the way they are marketed. If you decide to proceed and make a copy, be aware that it should be advertised as such, and not be marketed using the original manufacturers brand name/logo as that would be willful infringement (e.g. Sparco shoes at $35 without the Nomex label) and may well result in legal action.

Myself and Michael have discussed this at great length, and our intention as per our initial post was to simply to make the community aware that one of the primary reasons that many of these small vendors in Japan are reluctant to export their products to the US (aside from the hassles of international commerce) is because of the tendency for them to be ripped off wholesale.

The American way revolves around marginal quality, fast, cheap, and throw-away goods. It is a very price sensitive environment. In Japan, quality and reputation come foremost, and investments are usually retained for much longer periods by consumers. This is why you more often see the types of higher-end goods available from there as is the case in consumer electronics.

The reason that you may in theory be able to offer the Taitec diffuser cheaper, is that you didn't have to initially expend anything for the R&D of the original part. If you do not consider that a product can be worth more than the sum of its parts or actual fabrication costs, then I can easily understand your perspective and justification for making a copy of a diffuser from Taitec or maybe a cam shaft from revolution. It really is no different than pirating copies of Windows.

However, for Taitec, whom has operating capital under 20 million yen and literally a handful of employees, even a few units do have a strong impact as worldwide sales on many of their NSX products are by design under 25-35 units. If every time they release a product for the NSX market, someone here snags one just to make a copy so they can personally save some minimal amount like 30%, eventually they will stop exporting their goods abroad to the detriment of everyone in the NSX community.

As Taitec is one of the leading aftermarket companies that are still actively designing, producing, and fielding new performance parts for the NSX aftermarket application, like the new headlights they just released, this should be relevant to enthusiasts that consume these parts on an on-going basis and look forward to support from Taitec in the future.

If he were to slightly change the design of the product, then he doesn't have to worry about any copyright infringements, nor any other legalities involved in manufacturing this diffusor. Alittleboost, it's probably recommended you change the design slighty, where it still functions and looks nearly identical to the Taitec model, but not copy it exactly. This way, you will not encounter any copyright issues, plus you will be able market this product to the NSX community without any enthusiasts scrutinizing you.

Maybe you can even distribute it to SWR :biggrin:

legendr35 said:
If he were to slightly change the design of the product, then he doesn't have to worry about any copyright infringements, nor any other legalities involved in manufacturing this diffusor. Alittleboost, it's probably recommended you change the design slighty, where it still functions and looks nearly identical to the Taitec model, but not copy it exactly. This way, you will not encounter any copyright issues, plus you will be able market this product to the NSX community without any enthusiasts scrutinizing you.

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for making me giggle tonight. :biggrin:

legendr35 said:

I can change the design easily...or even use different material. Or keep it real simple, instead of calling it Taitec I can call it whatever I want and there shouldn't be any infringements. Like I said...Look at VIS, Etereme Dimensions, and ImportFan....these guys make over million in sales a year...and their customer services sucks ASS! trust me, I know people who work there. I just glad they didn't get their hands on one yet.

The diffuser will be made out of wet-lay carbon fiber and will be priced at 850.00 usd. Thats basically less half the price than what others offer it. It will come with all the necessary brackets ready for mounting.

I will need 5 more interested people to e-mail or private message me to get the ball rolling.
e-mail: [email protected]

If there need to be a deposit...which of right now the company said they have to find out the pricing on this....the company will fax you a written form promising you a full refund if the diffuser is not a replica of the taitec. The deposit will probably be 100.00 dollars, and the product will take about 1-2 months to get. For those of you who already contacted me I will give you the final details.

The company mention above makes the best quality products that actually fit!...they have great reputation with the Supra owners.

www.modellistadesigns.com This company specializes in high composite material for higher end vehicles. They can do dry carbon, wet-lay, and even autoclave used on forumula one cars. It all depends what the people want, and what your budget is.

I will be inviting them to the Eibach meet on May 1st if any so-cal guys are interested how their products look like in person on a supra. I will also provide you a picture of some of their products. I am not working for this company! I became good friends with them and seen what they can do. They haven't had one single complaint on suprafourms or any of their products. If you have any detailed questions on what process they are going to use please feel free to e-mail them at [email protected] and for the topic put "NSX" so they can easily find your e-mail.

Here is the Break down.

1. Cost 850.00 retail 1-2 months to get first batch
2. I need 5 more people to e-mail me or private message me e-mail: [email protected]
3. The more people the cheaper it will be
4. If deposit is required, it will be 100.00 to get the ball rolling and will be fully refundable! You will recieve a fax from the business.
5. The product will be a replica of the Tatitec rear diffuser including all mounting brackets
6. Thank you for your time!

Thanks.

Update.

Here is the current situation.

I have 7 interested people in this, but have not ask for a deposit. I don't want to until I have final conformation about getting the Taitec in my hands. If you know anybody in so-cal that will let us borrow it, they will recieve the first one! and the orignal back! Of coarse it will take about 1-2 months to get both of them. Also if this goes through, we will have the diffuser by march. I will send udated pictures only to those that have intrest in this project.

Thanks for all those that have shown interest.

If you still are interested in this project please e-mail me at: [email protected]

Thanks again, Mark

Those that have shown interest in this. Sorry you haven't heard anything from me lately...i've been really busy with my work. Also the lender of the diffuser seemed to back out of his agreement so I will have to look for another diffuser. If any of you are still interested please e-mail me from the link above thanks.

I will be needing you contact info, such as a phone number where you can be reached, and a fax number.

Thanks.

Modellista designs is a pretty reputable company as far as aerodynamics and splitters. They mainly do cf work and fiberglass work. A couple of my close friends also praise their work.

Hello Gents,

I would like to provide some positive insight here regarding Modellista Designs and their quality in manufacturing body kits as well as carbon fiber products.

Modellista Designs to the Supra community provides some of the best quality and cost-effective products at this present time. The copy-kit vs. original kit argument is nothing new to the aftermarket community. However, Modellista should not be stereotyped into the same basket than Import Fan, Extreme Dimensions, and other B.S. fly-by companies.

Certainly the argument with the original companies being influenced to stop or reduce distribution and innovation to new products due to widespread copyright infrigement is a good one, but there is always another side to each story. What happens let say for example when the original company and innovator of a product stops making the "quality product" we are paying good money for? Take for example Bomex Japan, and their bodykits. Back some years ago, all of their kits were hand-laid strong fiberglass kits, that had incredible care taken to them. They fit right, and were quite durable. Fast forward to the present time, and their kits are now blow-molded fiberglass kits that barely fit and do not hold up. All for the gain of a few more dollars. I am not accusing Taitec to this or many other companies, just stating the obvious with widespread cheapening of product lines for cost savings.

Modellista Designs however does not take shortcuts, and they are an American company doing what the Japanese are famous for, replicating products and making them better. I purchased my Modellista Designs widebody kit from them which is a replica of the original Top Secret Japan widebody kit which retails for $7500. I also purchased their TS1 CF Hood, Diffuser, and other CF pieces all of which fit perfectly and have incredible filament.

For those persons who insist on having "authentic kits" and pieces, more power to you. However im my personal opinion, the quality, cost, and customer service that Modellista Designs provided cannot be matched by the Japanese counterpart companies. Many may argue that persons who buy replicas cannot afford the originals. This is hardly the case, and just as in the NSX community, Supra owners do not take shortcuts in modifying their cars. I purchased my HRE's without hesitation, but the thought of paying Top Secret Japan $7500 for a kit I knew Modellista Designs could make with better panels did not sit right with me..

Here are some (bad quality) snapshots of my widebody Supra in the bodyshop. This is a 16-piece widebody kit that perfectly went together with symmetrical panels, and perfectly fitting pieces. I hope this post can assist those persons who are considering this product in making the best decision possible.

Regards,

Vic

l_19164.jpg

o_19165.jpg

o_19166.jpg

Not to pirate this thread, but I thought I should say something.
I to was considering a less expensive option for my race car because it seemed like paying over $1500 for a diffuser was a lot, which it is.
But I would suggest that all of you take a long hard look at the Taitec diffuser(both on and off a car) and talk to Chris at SOS before buying a copy. I had no idea of the quality, fitment and work that was put into the Taitec original. I was also afraid that the One lap would almost destoy it with the mileage etc.
It looks almost new, and after installing it myself and testing it, I personally wouldnt consider anything but an original. Race car or not.
Just my $.02
MikeF

The update on this situation is that I can't source a diffuser down!.

Nobody will come through, people that have them flaked out on this...so morallity wise, its sucks. I don't like breaking my word, and it wouldn't of been broken if those people hadn't broken there's. But modellista wanted very much to be invovled with the nsx community as much as they were the supra one.

Sorry, I haven't updated the thread, but i have to track down another one....if not i'll buy one in the future.

Back