• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Introducing the Acura NSX DIY LED Taillight Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. The lens is red. Aren't the LED's clear? why would you put red LEDs behind a red lens?

The LEDs being used for park/brakes look orange when lit - too orange for me. I prefer a deep red look, like the OEM 3rd brake light.

I'm not sure if I want to make a list on my 1st page. From past experience, I wasn't able to edit after a couple months.

But yes, you are #7.
Chris,
Do you want to edit your first post in this thread to make the list. I believe I'd be number 7 after Oyagi. 02+ with red leds for brake and parking lights.
David

Because all the white LEDs made are only rated at 30mA, while the red LEDs I have found at rated at least 70mA. This means the red LEDs can withstand more abuse, compared to the white LEDs. I use these white LEDs for the reverse lights, but longevity of the LEDs for these lights don't concern me, because the reverse lights are barely used, compared to the brake lights.
I don't get it. The lens is red. Aren't the LED's clear? why would you put red LEDs behind a red lens?

LED manufacturers make red/orange LEDs because that little bit of orange attracts the eye more than just the red LEDs. I'll do a comparison when I get red LEDs. You'll noticed that, even though both LEDs are run at the same current and voltage, the red/orange LEDs "appear" brighter, yet they aren't physically brighter than the red, due to what the human eye picks up.
The LEDs being used for park/brakes look orange when lit - too orange for me. I prefer a deep red look, like the OEM 3rd brake light.

1. YTRY -91-01 - red LEDs
2. PoKnow
3. Allen Shim
4. Sandman1962
5. Roger59
6. Oyagi
7. NSX-Files - 02-05 - red LEDs
8. vf2ss - red LEDs
9. chippy - 91-01 - red LEDs

Last edited:
Some pics from my latest customer:

led1.jpg

led2.jpg

^ This is the "old version."

A couple of other notes:

1. The circuit board looked nothing like the circuit board supplied in the instructions to disable the hyperblinking. I assume because I have a 2002 NSX, and the insturctions showed a board from a 91? I'll have pics soon of this.

2. When I tested the "hyperblinking," it's really not a big deal. It's not even worth addressing. The blinking is pretty normal looking imo.

So as I mentioned above, we could not figure out where to splice the circuit board to disable the "hyperblinking." The circuit board in the instructions that Chris supplied is from a 1991 NSX. My 2002's NSX had a totally different looking circuit board.

Some pictures from my car:

2small.jpg

3small.jpg

4small.jpg

BACK of the circuit board (large image): http://jdmchicago.com/images/led/1.jpg

All pics taken with my google G1 phone. :)

Bottomline, since we could not figure out what to cut, we left it as is. The hyperblinking is not bad at all. In fact, I could not tell it was faster then normal! I'm very anal like many NSX owners and I can definitely live with it.

Last edited:
Looks like they updated the flasher in later model cars by replacing the switching transistors with a IC chip. Circuit design still looks basically the same, so it should be possible to modify those as well. It may also be possible to make it user variable flash rate.

You wont be able to cut any traces on this board. It wont flash at all if you do.

Last edited:
Price for this kit will be : $550 shipped

91-01 Taillight Kit:

DSC03352.jpg

02-05 Taillight Kit:

DSC03351.jpg

It seems that the 91-01 tail light and the 02-05 tail light is similar except for the turn signal. If i were to get the 91-01 tail light and later upgrade my lights to 02-05, can i reuse all the components (except the turn signal) and buy the 02-05 turn signals from you? How much would you charge just for the turn signals for 02-05?

If you provide this package, then those of us with the 91-01 tail light can buy your led kit now and then should we decide to upgrade to 02-05, we can retain part of your led kit and save some money.

Sure, I can do that. The cost will be $100 plus the cost for supplies. I have to determine the supply cost still.
It seems that the 91-01 tail light and the 02-05 tail light is similar except for the turn signal. If i were to get the 91-01 tail light and later upgrade my lights to 02-05, can i reuse all the components (except the turn signal) and buy the 02-05 turn signals from you? How much would you charge just for the turn signals for 02-05?

If you provide this package, then those of us with the 91-01 tail light can buy your led kit now and then should we decide to upgrade to 02-05, we can retain part of your led kit and save some money.

As I mentioned previously, I like the new rate of flash.
If you didn't know any better, you won't know.
What does that mean.
You know what I mean.
Stop it.
No, I want to explain.
You don't have to the guys on prime know your loopy...
Ok.
Trev
Vert

Think of it this way, a red lens filters out all colors except red. A red LED emits a lot more red light than a white LED. Hence, white LEDs are not as bright as red LEDs when filtered with a red lens. (BTW, what color is clear? :confused: )

As I mentioned previously, I like the new rate of flash.
If you didn't know any better, you won't know.
What does that mean.
You know what I mean.
Stop it.
No, I want to explain.
You don't have to the guys on prime know your loopy...
Ok.
Trev
Vert

Bahaha.... Just got my tail lights back today noticed no resistors on the R & L flashers guess we'll see if they hyper-blink like yours too when I install them later today?

Bahaha.... Just got my tail lights back today noticed no resistors on the R & L flashers guess we'll see if they hyper-blink like yours too when I install them later today?

Trust me, they are slightly faster then stock.... but not even noticeable. I'm keeping mine as is. It's not worth the trouble....

Trust me, they are slightly faster then stock.... but not even noticeable. I'm keeping mine as is. It's not worth the trouble....

Well for some reason mine look like strobe lights, kinda looks cheesy plus might attract attention from the cities finest. If I were a kid driving a cheesy riced-out car then I could understand letting it slide without resolving. I'll try to get some video of my strobe-light action. I also have one side of the reverse LED's brighter than the other side will double check the connections later just in case.

In talking to Chris he forgot to install the load resistors in my set, although I did asked him to install them to make my set 100% plug & play. Going to try to get him to send me a set of resistors I can install myself which I hope will resolve the issue.

These couple issues aside the tail lights look amazing :biggrin: I can't believe how bright they are... just like Trev mentioned, I think they can see me from the space station! LOL I will snap some pics & post for everyone shorty.

Well for some reason mine look like strobe lights, kinda looks cheesy plus might attract attention from the cities finest. If I were a kid driving a cheesy riced-out car then I could understand letting it slide without resolving. I'll try to get some video of my strobe-light action. I also have one side of the reverse LED's brighter than the other side will double check the connections later just in case.

In talking to Chris he forgot to install the load resistors in my set, although I did asked him to install them to make my set 100% plug & play. Going to try to get him to send me a set of resistors I can install myself which I hope will resolve the issue.

These couple issues aside the tail lights look amazing :biggrin: I can't believe how bright they are... just like Trev mentioned, I think they can see me from the space station! LOL I will snap some pics & post for everyone shorty.

It's quite possible 2002's flash differently then 91's. May need to post a video so we can compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back