• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Introduction to the NSX community

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum as I plan to be a regular contributer after trolling for quite some time. My name is Tim and I am a student at NCSU. For the past year I've been a Nissan driver, but still more a general nondiscriminatory auto enthusiast. Earlier this summer I decided I wanted to start a new project and began prepping my 240sx for sale. I put it on the market sunday (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/287381 , sorry to plug my sale, but just incase anyone is interested :biggrin: ), in hopes of next moving to an NSX.

I will go ahead and admit, I am young, but I am not just another lustful kid dreaming about an exotic car. Nor will I label myself as the all-knowing car god, but perhaps somewhere in between. I have my heart set on an NSX and a truly uncanny nack for pursuing goals until completion. My goal as of now is to find a sub $20,000 NSX that may need some TLC. Throughout my experience in the car world I've found I enjoy working on cars much more than I do driving them, so an NSX that needs minor refurbishing would be ideal.

What I would most like help with is finding the best direction in which to pursue this goal. Should I predominantly be searching through dealer auctions or do NSX's in said price range and condition regularly appear in the market? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being a constructive member of NSXprime.

Welcome to the machine! :cool:

You are in the same boat I've been in for a year and a half. Finding a sub-$20K NSX is not uncommon but honestly, don't expect a great car. You are better off saving $5K or so and then financing another $20. A decent 1991 NSX will sell from $25K up but of course, there are always some once in a lifetime deals that go for less. NSX is a reliable car and very easy to maintain but as an exotic, even a used one still carries a hefty price tag on parts and labor. That's why you really gotta watch out when buying a sub $20K NSX.

I've been saving money in my NSX fund and I'm looking at $30K which of course, gives you a decent choice of some pampered NSX's. The problem for me now is that I live in an apartment and I'm not gonna buy an NSX to store it outside in the elements, human and natural. Just another thing to consider...

Do your research and check out the Wiki section on this site, it has more NSX info than any other site could possibly have, all contributed by owners and drivers.

As far as where to buy, this is the place. Who better to buy your car from than a bunch of NSX nuts.... This is not an NSX site, this is an NSX church!

Good luck! :smile: :smile:

myguitar- thank you for the warm welcome. I would love to own a pampered NSX, but unfortunately that just is not within my means. What I do have within my means is time and the ability to do labor, thus why I would shoot for a "sub-par" condition NSX. Maybe the previous owner neglected care of the car, I would love to be the one to restore it to revered condition. Just my present feelings, we'll see how my situation evolves (financially and ideologically).

It also depends on what your ultimate goal for your NSX might be. If you are looking for a nice daily driver, without goal of building a "track rat", you might consider an automatic NSX. They often tend to be priced more conseratively, and possibly driven less "vigorously", than a 5 or 6 spd car. However, if you go that direction, check the transmission throughly, as they can be pricey to freshen up. On a nice day, with the Targa top stowed, the ride can be just as gratifying!:wink: Incidentially, welcome aboard!!:smile:

Tim,
Nothing wrong with being young. Enjoy it. Just make sure you throw in a little patience. An NSX is not the type of car you want to purchase impulsively. Sounds like you are thinking this through, researching it thoroughly and will make an informed, considered decision.

myguitar makes several good points. You don't want an NSX that needs "major" work. Even if you could handle all labor yourself, parts can be very expensive. An additional $5-8k invested in the initial purchase can save you big, big bucks in repairs.

Also know that because you live in the Raleigh area you have access to a terrific NSX expert, who is a certified NSX technician (started working on them from the very start-1991- Acura dealer in CA and also with Comptech) name is Steve Gooding. Before you purchase anything, I'd talk to him and even have him do a pre-purchase inspection if feasible for anything you are considering.

There are probably about 2 dozen or more NSX owners in the immediate Raleigh area. We get together occassionally, talk to each other often. Most owners are hyper enthusiasts and eager to share their experiences, opinions and knowledge about the NSX. Post on the Southeast forum if you want to contact them. Additionally I have been maintaining a list of owners that after getting their permission I can share with you.

I have been a life long Acura/Honda enthusiast....so the NSX is my ultimate Honda purchase. In Honda's initial advertising for the NSX in the American market, their headline read..."Some cars make a statement about the people that drive them, this one makes a statement about the people that build them" To me that says it all.

And finally, from the TV spots for the new 2008 Accord.."Hang on tight to your dreams".

A happy NSX owner, John

I've learned a little TLC can still be pricey on these cars. Still mid 20's should bring a fairly decent car if you look hard and long. That is a nicely modded 240. It should sell easily. :smile:

...I will go ahead and admit, I am young, but I am not just another lustful kid dreaming about an exotic car. Nor will I label myself as the all-knowing car god, but perhaps somewhere in between. I have my heart set on an NSX and a truly uncanny nack for pursuing goals until completion. My goal as of now is to find a sub $20,000 NSX that may need some TLC. Throughout my experience in the car world I've found I enjoy working on cars much more than I do driving them, so an NSX that needs minor refurbishing would be ideal...

Welcome! Good luck in your search. Just be aware that pretty much all NSXs you find below $20k will need a lot of work. Most will have salvage or rebuilt titles, and high mileage on top of that. Parts for an NSX are not cheap either, so you may have to go used, or just be prepared to pay. I am all for saving a wounded NSX. I have done that once before. I just want you to know what you are in for ahead of time. Let me know if you need help. :cool:

you might consider an automatic NSX. They often tend to be priced more conseratively, and possibly driven less "vigorously", than a 5 or 6 spd car.

You are very correct, the auto NSXs I've seen have been "better" priced, but I just could not justify it. I feel like stick shift is in my blood, and I'd be betraying myself to deny it, haha!

99NCNSX said:
Nothing wrong with being young....Hang on tight to your dreams

I really appreciate the faith, it's awfully refreshing. To be honest I half expected a flame admitting I was young and a student. IMO that says a lot about the quality of the forum and its members. I am also very happy to learn of the strong central NC NSX community, hopefully in the coming year I'll be able to join the group. The quote seems very appropriate- my dad just bought an 08 Accord.

davidf said:
I've learned a little TLC can still be pricey on these cars. Still mid 20's should bring a fairly decent car if you look hard and long. That is a nicely modded 240. It should sell easily.

I have seen a few completely totaled NSXs selling for ~$12000, so I do understand the value of replacement parts. Not like in the 240 community where you can completely rebuild a car for a few grand :biggrin: . By no means could I afford a complete rebuild, but maybe a few small things such as a head gasket or clutch. My other concern is keeping the car as stock as possible...though I do enjoy driving my skyline-powered 240, I greatly miss the feel of a factory car. I used to own a Prelude, which I sold to my brother. Occasionally he'll let me take it for a spin, and the spirit behind the car (lightly modded) is amazing; this is what I'm looking for in an NSX, pure factory Honda spirit.

Meeyatch1 said:
Welcome! Good luck in your search. Just be aware that pretty much all NSXs you find below $20k will need a lot of work. Most will have salvage or rebuilt titles, and high mileage on top of that. Parts for an NSX are not cheap either, so you may have to go used, or just be prepared to pay. I am all for saving a wounded NSX. I have done that once before. I just want you to know what you are in for ahead of time. Let me know if you need help.

Once again I truly appreciate the warm welcome, as well as I do appreciate the warning of rebuild costs. I am here to learn, and look forward to building a strong relationship with the NSX community as a whole. I cannot speak more highly of the acceptance I've received so far, I wish the swapped-240 community was so friendly!

If you can't afford a expensive NSX you defiantly can't afford a cheap one.

I agree, a $20,000 NSX usually means at least $10,000 worth of damage minimum. In this market right now a $20,000 NSX doesn't exist unless theres something seriously wrong with it.

Welcome Tim.
I was a big fan of NICO, untill the NSX came along. :biggrin:
Here is my $.02 for First Time Home Buyers... never buy a fixer-upper. It's a money pit. Perhaps this will also hold true for the NSX purchase.
You definitely do not want to spend your weekends at the shop or fixing it in your garage. You want to let the top down and enjoy the beaut.
Best of luck.

Here is my $.02 for First Time Home Buyers... never buy a fixer-upper.

I believe that is bad advice at least in my market. Looks like you are a Florida RE agent. The best advice you could give you clients down there is to rent and not buy.

I believe that is bad advice at least in my market. Looks like you are a Florida RE agent. The best advice you could give you clients down there is to rent and not buy.

Looks like you totally missed the boat on this one.
It is a metaphor... As to not buy an older NSX with potential of being in a money pit.

NO REAL ESTATE ADVICE HERE... unless asked.:smile:

hmmm, real estate eh?? JK won't be a home owner for quite some time, but I do thank you all for the advice.

I almost exactly the same as you. I too own a white turbo 240sx, it also happen to have a kouki front end swap as well.

Believe me when everyone here is telling to buy a good NSX vs buying a beat up one. Let me list how much parts cost

front bumper ( upper and lower ) $1700
Hood $1000
fender $750-1000
door $2000
front rails and structure ( sold as an assembly only ) $12000

Do I need to keep going on?

aluminum is very very hard to repair. they have a lower melting point, and they don't change color when they get too hot. They also have a tendency to have corrosion from contamination at a bodyshop if steel or other metal particles contacts bar aluminum. This would cause the finish to bubble up over time.

Your better off saving the extra money and drive a clean car that is not a piece of crap, that is burning a hole in your bank account.

clean clean 240...very nice.

I too am a college student and have received the occasional flame from a member or two, but I feel downright at home here after really getting to know this car.

99NCNSX, how close is Steve to the TN line? People keep telling me Barnman in Nashville is tops, but that's still a drive from Knoxville.

Welcome to the board. You are doing the right thing by thinking this through and asking for advice. "Fun" car purchases are normally emotional vs. rational, but in the case of the $20K NSX, its better to be more rational than emotional.

As most others have said, you will be better off avoiding a sub $20K NSX. They are out there, but patience, hard work and your own labor won't make up for the extra $5-$10K you will spend on reconditioning to make a $20K NSX worth your time. Your frustration w/ having to fix issues and the cost of minor items will add up quickly and possibly sour an otherwise enjoyable NSX ownership experience.

Look for a $25K-$27K NSX when you have the means. You will be much happier in the end.

99NCNSX, how close is Steve to the TN line? People keep telling me Barnman in Nashville is tops, but that's still a drive from Knoxville.[/QUOTE]

Steve lives here in Raleigh, NC. Heading due west on I-40, I believe the TN state line is about a 5-6 hour drive. If you have some major service needed, could be worth the trip. Steve sources all parts from his former CA dealer @ 25% off (which he passes along) and works at about half what dealer charges on labor. Most importantly he works on NSX's as if they were his own. Once you've had Steve service your NSX, you'll never let anyone else touch it.

Steve's e-mail address is [email protected].

Last edited:
Some people don't understand the concept of building a car up and admiring it when it's all done with a major sense of accomplishment. Yea anyone can take their car to a shop and pay someone, btu when you actually rebuilt a car up, it feels so good when it's all done. Id say try to find a shell or one with problems for cheap and build it up. I know a lot of honda/acura parts are interchangable also(not saying they are on the nsx but i bet you'd be suprised, obviously not body parts). but anyways I bet if you just look around you'll find what you need. Good luck.

menappi,
I think we all appreciate that personal feeling of accomplishment...of rebuilding something from bare bones. But the point most of us on the forum are trying to make...that as a student with limited resources, an extensive rebuild of a car like an NSX could be a VERY, VERY expensive proposition.
Your suggestion that the NSX might share parts from other Honda products is way off target. I'd be willing to bet that there aren't a handful of parts that might have been used in other Honda's. The NSX was developed by Honda without any consideration for cost saving or compromise.

Rebuilding an NSX from the condition you are suggesting, by the method you are suggesting could end up being a very expensive project, probably more expensive than going on the open market and purchasing a low mileage mint condition example. Used parts for the NSX are fairly rare, and never cheap.

If you are looking for a project, and want that sense of personal accomplishment, I'd suggest going out and getting one of the many kit cars available. For $25 - 35K you can put together a respectable Cobra replica.

menappi,
I think we all appreciate that personal feeling of accomplishment...of rebuilding something from bare bones. But the point most of us on the forum are trying to make...that as a student with limited resources, an extensive rebuild of a car like an NSX could be a VERY, VERY expensive proposition.
Your suggestion that the NSX might share parts from other Honda products is way off target. I'd be willing to bet that there aren't a handful of parts that might have been used in other Honda's. The NSX was developed by Honda without any consideration for cost saving or compromise.

Rebuilding an NSX from the condition you are suggesting, by the method you are suggesting could end up being a very expensive project, probably more expensive than going on the open market and purchasing a low mileage mint condition example. Used parts for the NSX are fairly rare, and never cheap.

If you are looking for a project, and want that sense of personal accomplishment, I'd suggest going out and getting one of the many kit cars available. For $25 - 35K you can put together a respectable Cobra replica.

Exactly my point. Well said, my friend.

Some people don't understand the concept of building a car up...Id say try to find a shell or one with problems for cheap and build it up.

Though I do love working on projects, my experience with my 240 (which was more than less a complete rebuild) has taught me that I would never prefer a car that I rebuilt as a daily driver.

Upon researching, like you said, the interchangeability of parts (how I got most of my "skyline" parts for the 240), and price of replacement parts, I have decided that even minor reconditioning would be less preferable to buying something well taken care of. Even though I do have access to a garage of my own and the Auto Engineering garage here at school, as well as ASE certification, the price of parts alone would break my bank.

Consider this:

Autozone prices btw,

Timing belt: $200
Water Pump: $150
Oil Pump ~$400
Alternator: $250

Compared to the price of parts for my RB, these are significantly higher. Though not outrageous, I am sure this would eventually wear my wallet out. Not to speak of the cost of dealer-only parts like body panels, etc.

And still, I haven't even sold my 240, so time is all I have. I have patience and will continue to research and watch the market until the right car shows up for me. However, if anyone does come across something I miss, please point me in the right direction. You all have been a great help in getting my feet wet!

Also, what are your thoughts on a car like this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95725

The performance mods say to me that the car has been beat on. Could I use that as a point of negotiation? Also, would it be reasonable to ask that he keep some of the mods (wheels, nos, spoiler, etc) I don't prefer in exchange for a credit on the car? The flood title is a bit iffy, I have seen all sorts of "flood" titles, and I think the condition must be determined on a case to case basis. The blemish on the title also is less of a concern to me because I see this purchase as less of an investment and more something I want to keep and enjoy.

Back