• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPod Adapter Shootout!!!

Just plugged the adapter in and it does not work. Very disappointed. The antenna won't go up when the radio mode is selected. It pretty much stays down all the time. I did get it to raise but it did so when it was on cd mode and then went down when selected the radio mode. Crazy. I think it has something to do with the fact that the adapter supplies a constant supply of power which confuses the smartenna from actuating. In other words when the cd changer is connected (as it comes stock) and you select the radio the power is not supplied to the changer, thus the smartenna has the signal to raise the antenna. This would explain why it also goes up when the tape is in. This is a guess though as I really don't know much about the electronics.

I am not knowledgable about the Smartenna but people have reported that it works with the Grom iPod Adapter. I don't see how the "electronic logic" would differ between the USA-Spec and the Grom.

Hi Guys,
The SmarTenna was designed about 10 years ago when the IPOD was just a dream. I have not tested it with the various IPOD adapters on the market so there are no guarantees that it will work correctly. The SmarTenna uses the data line connected between the NSX head unit and the CD changer to distinguish between CD mode and radio/tape mode.
Bryan
Zublin Engineering

Bryan,

I'm very happy to report that the SmarTenna works perfectly with the GROM iPod adapter!

Thanks for building it! :biggrin:

9doors,
I'm glad to hear that the SmarTenna works with the GROM iPod adapter. Can you list the order an location that the components are connected when the GROM iPod adapter is installed in your NSX? Without the adapter, the order of items is: NSX head unit --> SmarTenna (in trunk) --> CD changer (in trunk).
Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I was off the Grid in the Yosemite backcountry this past week...

My config is:

NSX head unit --> SmarTenna (in trunk) --> Grom iPod Adapter (in trunk) --> iPod (in trunk).

Was there ever any followup from Grom Audio on their USB-MBUS adapter? 9Doors listed a ton of problems but was asked to hang onto the unit and it sounded like Grom was in the process of fixing those problems. I've checked the Grom website and there seem to be firmware updates for the other USB units they carry, but none for the Honda.

Although I have an iPod, a USB solution would be ideal since the hookup would be simple (trunk mount, replacing the CD changer) and I could just leave a USB flash drive plugged in. I don't always carry the iPod with me.

9doors,
I'm glad to hear that the SmarTenna works with the GROM iPod adapter. Can you list the order an location that the components are connected when the GROM iPod adapter is installed in your NSX? Without the adapter, the order of items is: NSX head unit --> SmarTenna (in trunk) --> CD changer (in trunk).
Thanks,
Bryan

NSX head unit --> SmarTenna (in trunk)--> Grom ipod adapter (in cabin)
I actually have the best of both worlds. iPod in the center console connected via the smarTenna. I used the cable from the CD changer and routed it through to the cabin from the SmarTenna.
for a write up see:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1176787#post1176787
Works great.
I am curious if anyone out there actually got the smarTenna to work with the USA-spec though. The USA-spec works better than the Grom adapter.
Anyone?

Last edited:
NSX head unit --> SmarTenna (in trunk)--> Grom ipod adapter (in cabin)
I actually have the best of both worlds. iPod in the center console connected via the smarTenna. I used the cable from the CD changer and routed it through to the cabin from the SmarTenna.
for a write up see:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1176787#post1176787
Works great.
I am curious if anyone out there actually got the smarTenna to work with the USA-spec though. The USA-spec works better than the Grom adapter.
Anyone?

Warren,
Thanks for the write up on your install. I used a similar routing for my USA Spec adapter PA-11 HON. I located the I-pod adapter unit behind the dash and connected it to the back of the factory head unit. I routed the I-pod cable under the center console and drilled a hole like you did in the back of the center console armrest so I can access my I-pod. I liked that option better than having the I-Pod in the glove box. I also have a smarttenna but I didnt install it because it didnt look like there was enough room for the connector to plug in behind the factory deck and the cable wouldn't reach. I decided I would install a switch to the antenna and control its operation manually.

I also have a smarttenna but I didnt install it because it didnt look like there was enough room for the connector to plug in behind the factory deck and the cable wouldn't reach. I decided I would install a switch to the antenna and control its operation manually.

Big_D:
Did you ever get to test the USA-spec with the smartenna? There isn't any reference to anyone sucessfully using them together.

Last edited:
Big_D:
Did you ever get to test the USA-spec with the smartenna? There isn't any reference to anyone sucessfully using them together.

Sorry I didnt...The smartenna is still in the box.

Back