• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Audi a luxury brand?

Is Audi a luxury brand?

• It's nice, but no

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • yes, it's in the same league

Votes: 68 88.3%

• Total voters
In my opinion the relationship betwen Audi to volkswagen is the same as Acura to Honda.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw9ZeXB2uKs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw9ZeXB2uKs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

In my opinion the relationship betwen Audi to volkswagen is the same as Acura to Honda.
Yes, that's quite a good comparison. But none of the named labels like Mercedes, BMW or Audi are 'luxury'. They call themself in the 'Premium'-class (whatever that is :rolleyes: higher prices?). The quality of them is good but they still lack the basic quality which has been constant over the past decades with no improvement. All that contains or is out of rubber does bad rather quickly like seals and brake-lines. No progression at all in the past 50 years. That's NOT 'Premium'.
Moreover this, I've heard some very terrifiing stories about the guarranty issues like leaking headlight not willing to be payed whlie stating that leaking headlight are state of the art, means: they're not capable of...

Last edited:

I feel the same way, difference is Audi successfully distinguishes models from VW.

I dont know what it is, but I've never liked Audi cars. They are pretty, drive well, appears to be of quality, but something I can't put my finger on tells me Audi is phony. Its like a VW with jewelry that lack substance.

Is this a serious question?

Audi has had the best interiors by class for a decade and some change:

Audi-A8_L_W12_2005_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

2011-Audi-A8-L-42.jpg

Granted the perception by the common buyer might very well be that they are not on the same level as Merc, but I disagree.

Usually the true mark of a leader is how they inspire change among the competition. In Audi's case:

Off the top of my head

AWD? Yeah BMW and Merc, and Jag now offer that
Aluminum Construction? Yeah BMW, Merc and Jag now have that as well
LED headlights? Just about everything has those as well.

In reality, each of the 3 German makers appeal to distinct different sectors of each luxury car class. BMWs offer a sporty drive, Merc offers the smoothest ride, and Audi offers the most practical ride.

Granted, there are things I dislike about the brand: The maintenance is rigorous(But inline with BMW and MB) and the nose heavy/understeer layout of the Quattro system.

I have two Audi RS6's and they are classified as luxury sports. I can well attest to the fact that they are as well built, as comfortable, etc as the BMW and Mercedes and reek of luxury. In fact the reason I own the Audi vs. the other two is simply because the car is more stylish to me, has the best AWD system without question, and out performs the other two manufacturers for daily driving and on the track. Now if you get down to the A4 and 3 series from the other two, then you are not in a luxury class IMO.

......Granted the perception by the common buyer might very well be that they are not on the same level as Merc, but I disagree.

Usually the true mark of a leader is how they inspire change among the competition. In Audi's case:

Off the top of my head

AWD? Yeah BMW and Merc, and Jag now offer that
Aluminum Construction? Yeah BMW, Merc and Jag now have that as well
LED headlights? Just about everything has those as well.

Benz is generally regarded as the inventor of the gasoline-powered automobile (1885 Benz Patent Motorwagen).

If memory served me right when I was skimming over some benz reading materials they invented fuel injectors, ABS, Airbags, disc brakes etc. Huge contributions to the auto realm.

Was Audi even born?

The first design of 4Matic system was introduced in 1986 on the W124 series, so it wasn't "now offered".

Aluminum.... well since the NSX has claim to first production car to offer that we mine as well eliminate this. Gullwing SL has aluminum panels and hoods back in the days.

LED headlights? Audi? I didin't know that there was any street legal DOT approved ones out there.

I know that they used LED for signal and daytime running lights.

I'm not impressed.

Look at the OEM Kia Amanti LED signal lights.

amanti-frontlights.JPG

Last edited:
LED headlights? Audi? I didin't know that there was any street legal DOT approved ones out there.

They are legal. Audi has them. In fact your post of the one commercial for the Superbowl above is marketing them.

Last edited:
While this thread may end in a draw of opinions such as the epic "Super car v Exotic" thread did, it may be worth pointing out the differences between Audi and non-luxury brands (Saturn, Mitsubishi, etc.) rather than comparing Audi to it's compeditors (M-Benz, BMW, Lexus, etc.). Given Audi's features, optional and standard, as well as other factors, the obvious conclusion would be that Audi is indeed a luxury brand whether you like their cars or not. Each person here is entitled to their own opinion. Although, models such as the A3, A2 and others may not be equipped with all the features many of us would consider necessary to label a vehicle as "luxury", the majority of the line of vehicles contend eye to eye with many of the other vehicles made by their luxury brand compeditors. Competition is the stepping stone of inovation.

The seperation of luxury and sport can be found in different variations of nearly each model Audi offers but this is not necessarily the topic of the thread. I had a similar discusion about what defines a luxury automobile with no specific brand implied. The result was a well-heated argument with no real conclusion. Luxury is ultimately defined by the end-user.

Weather you concider only the leading technology, finest materials, well-executed engineering or what ever, it is in the end that one defines luxury for themselves.

Last edited:
perhaps the people asking if Audi is better than MB should watch the TopGear episode where Clarkson compares teh RS6 to the almighty E55.

While I will say I had no idea Audi was luxury until I went looking for a ridiculously awesome 5 seater sedan, and had no idea they were related to VW, I' will say I've been quickly, thoroughly, and completely disabused of my first oversight upon checking out the offerings by Audi.

RS6? Twin turbo V10 with close to 600 hp, AWD, incredible interior, etc.
My STOCK rs6 brakes? EIGHT piston fronts, four piston rears. Yeah, cause every Hyundai on the planet has 8 piston brakes... stock...

perhaps the people asking if Audi is better than MB should watch the TopGear episode where Clarkson compares teh RS6 to the almighty E55.

I don't take to heart anything that being said on top gear, the comparos are as unfair as scoring in their challenges. I will still watch it but for entertainment purposes only.

Just some clarification here. Audi dates back to 1909, and introduced their first car in 1910. Introduced in 1980, Quattro was the first production awd in a car.

Is Audi a luxury brand? I can't even believe this is a question, and almost embarrassed it is on Prime. Nearly every automotive journalist thinks so, and they know a hell of a lot more about the auto industry than I do. I have owned MB and BMW right in the middle of their lineup, never an Audi. But every Audi I have been in within the last 10 - 15 years has completely blown away the interiors of the cars I've owned. You just can't beat Audi interior design and luxury.

Auto Union... iconic!

Here's an interesting break-down & I've gone w/ it over the years...

USDM Tier-1

U.K.: Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mini
Germany: Mercedes Benz, Maybach, BMW, Audi, VW EDM models
Sweden: Volvo, Saab
Italy: Alfa Romeo, Maserati
U.S.: GM Sigma (Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS)
Japan: Toyota/Lexus LS, GS, IS, SC, RX, Landcruiser/LX; Nissan/Infiniti G, M, FX, EX; Honda/Acura TSX, RL
Korea: Hyundai Equus, Genesis sedan, Veracruz

And from there, taking it further- "premium" & "luxury" labels come into play. Platform-shared offerings from Honda/Acura (MDX, RDX, TL), Toyota/Lexus (ES, GX), Lincoln (MKS, MKZ, MKT, MKX), and others can be categorized as premium or entry-level/near luxury. Many of VW's USDM models such as the newly redesigned Passat & Jetta (exclusive platforms for North America) are no longer Tier-1 (whereas as the Passat CC is still), priced better to compete against their Asian counterparts.

Note: I may have omitted some makes/models, my intent was merely to give a broader picture

Last edited:
Is Audi a luxury brand? I can't even believe this is a question, and almost embarrassed it is on Prime. Nearly every automotive journalist thinks so, and they know a hell of a lot more about the auto industry than I do. I have owned MB and BMW right in the middle of their lineup, never an Audi. But every Audi I have been in within the last 10 - 15 years has completely blown away the interiors of the cars I've owned. You just can't beat Audi interior design and luxury.

I agree!

http://www.quattroworld.com/audi-ne...istory-13th-consecutive-record-setting-month/

Vehicle sales up 19.7% vs. January 2011, the previous U.S. record
Sales propelled by demand for C- and D-segment vehicles, representing more than 30% of the sales mix, and strong TDI® clean diesel sales
Certified Pre-Owned sales of 2,570 vehicles marks an increase of 15% over the same period in 2011
Audi today reported its 13th straight record-setting month of sales with 9,354 vehicles sold in January 2012, topping the 7,812 vehicles sold in January 2011. Year-over-year vehicle sales increased 19.7% over 2011, the previous record set a year earlier.
“Consumers are sending a strong signal that Audi is at the top of the luxury vehicle market,” said Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen. “I’m optimistic that 2012 will be another pacesetting year.”
January results were buoyed by strong performance in the C and D segments, with sales for the technologically advanced Audi A6 increasing 90% over 2011, the Audi Q7 luxury SUV sales increasing 15%, and strong sales of 643 vehicles for the design-forward Audi A7, which was launched in the U.S. market in April 2011.

Other highlights include:
• January 2012 ranks as the best January in Audi of America history, eclipsing the previous record set in 2011.
• 2012 Audi A6 sales up 90%, compared to January 2011, and bolstered by 98.6% year-over-year sales increase in the sedan model.
• Audi TT sales up 88% vs. January 2011, boosted by increased demand for the Audi TT RS Coupe.
• Audi Q7 sales up 15%, compared to January 2011.
• Sales of Audi Q5 increased 26% in January 2012.
• Sales mix for Audi TDI clean diesel models finished the month at 67.2% for the A3 TDI, 35.8% for the Q7 TDI.
• Audi Certified Pre-Owned sales of 2,570 vehicles mark an increase of 15% over the same period in 2011.
• For the record-setting month of January 2012, four Audi models recorded year-over-year sales increases of 15% or more, including the Audi A6, the Audi Q5, the Audi Q7, and the Audi TT model range.

And they build race cars.

audi-r18-tdi-le-mans-1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:
is audi a luxury brand? I can't even believe this is a question, and almost embarrassed it is on prime. Nearly every automotive journalist thinks so, and they know a hell of a lot more about the auto industry than i do. I have owned mb and bmw right in the middle of their lineup, never an audi. But every audi i have been in within the last 10 - 15 years has completely blown away the interiors of the cars i've owned. You just can't beat audi interior design and luxury.

+1.

My DD has been an Audi since I was 16 just put my new one on the road today. It's a 3.2 AWD S-line A3. There are a lot of misconceptions about Audi stemming from the 80s. A lot has changed since then. In the North East AWD is a must, and Audi AWD is 2nd to none. I cant say I will always own an Acura they haven built anything since the first Gen NSX I would consider owning. I will always own an Audi and can see myself driving anything they currently offer.
IMG_0089.jpg

Benz is generally regarded as the inventor of the gasoline-powered automobile (1885 Benz Patent Motorwagen).

If memory served me right when I was skimming over some benz reading materials they invented fuel injectors, ABS, Airbags, disc brakes etc. Huge contributions to the auto realm.

Was Audi even born?

The first design of 4Matic system was introduced in 1986 on the W124 series, so it wasn't "now offered".

Aluminum.... well since the NSX has claim to first production car to offer that we mine as well eliminate this. Gullwing SL has aluminum panels and hoods back in the days.

I know that they used LED for signal and daytime running lights.

I'm not impressed.

Look at the OEM Kia Amanti LED signal lights.

Apparently you have some Merc loyalty, however you missed the point. My point wasn't to say that Mercedes wasn't a luxury car.

Audi was the first to use all aluminum construction in a luxury car.

Audi was the first to make AWD available on all models. A system that is still the best in the business and has remained largely unchanged in 30 years.

The LED headlights have been used for a few years now. The A8, A6, and A4 models. I'm not sure how someone can live in a big city and not notice these, they are very distinctive at night.

Of course none of this defines a luxury car. But if you believe Audi doesn't make luxury cars, you either haven't been in an Audi for 20 years or you have a very extreme bias.

I like particularly the look generally, interior and exterior. My choice before the Q7 was either Merc ML or the BMW X5. X5 was abit bland. I like the ML but end up with the Q7.Never looked back.

InteriorAudi.jpg

Last edited:
Like Thomas(goldnsx) said it's Premium class like BMW and Merc. and like some above say it is luxury.Here in Europe it's more esteemed than some Lexus or Infinity.Each brand of this 3 European has a portfolio of costumers I like sport's
car's and more dynamic drive and I'm driving BMW but honesty Audi has quite better looking interior.

Back