• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it lowered or not?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and need some advice.

This may sound stupid, but how can I tell if my 96 NSX-t has stock suspension or if it's been lowered?

Being in Alaska, I have no other NSX to compare to.

Thanks in advance

My '91 is stock ride height. Measuring from the flat ground to the bottom of the tabs for the four jacking points (not the ones in the middle), all four are between 4.5 and 4.75 inches. If yours is stock ride height, yours should be, too.

EDIT: Brian's reference is probably more accurate than my measurement (good job, Brian)...

nsxtasy said:
EDIT: Brian's reference is probably more accurate than my measurement (good job, Brian)...
OK ... it's late & I've had a couple of glasses of wine, so maybe my powers of deduction (Since I have no immediate knowledge of this) not at their sharpest ....
Would nsxtasy's suggestion not make more sense in determining pesence of lowering suspension components (i.e. shocks, springs, coilovers etc.) than the reference suggested by Briank? Woudn't have thought much impact to that measurement from lower suspension vs. the body itself (i.e. the jacking points)

Take a picture of your suspension and post it here and plenty of people will be able to tell you exactly what you've got.

I think in the case of knowing lowered or not, Ken's method will tell the story, however, Braink's method is the only true measurement on the car's height.

I have heard many talk about fender lip height, and I would not use that as an accurate measurement, or even a grose measurement for that matter. I have seen more then 1/2" differences between fender height and "real" height. I think the jack points are better, but the suspension pivot center is the proper way, especially when you do preliminary setup prior to corner weights. Of course this is assuming a level floor:).

HTH,
LarryB

We have to assume a level floor, as well as properly inflated, properly sized tires.

I understand Ken's (D'Ecosse's) question though. (And it's an excellent question, too - one I had not thought about.) Basically, what he's asking is whether the distance from the suspension pivot point to the ground changes when suspension components are used to lower the car. If I understand Larry's reply correctly, he is saying that it does; IOW, that if the car is lowered by X inches, the suspension pivot point is lowered by X inches. (We all know that the distance from the jacking point tabs to the ground changes as a direct result of the car's lowering.)

However, one advantage of using the jacking points IMO is that it's a very easy measurement - easy to access, easy to find, and easy to measure.

Another advantage of using the jacking points is that it will help you in selecting a jack to use to work on your car, based on the minimum height needed. ;)

Would it be even easier if he can jack up his car and examine the shocks and springs??

I mean, if the shock had been changed ie: Tein, Koni, Eibach to name a few had distintive apperance and colors than the dull stock shocks color...

So as the springs, he can just get a towel and simply wipe off the dirt... Lowering springs usually have their company logo and part number on it... Some also have different finish...

NSXDreamer2 said:
Would it be even easier if he can jack up his car and examine the shocks and springs??
No. Some have different mounting options (e.g. Bilstein)... And besides, jacking up the car is not as easy as using a tape measure to take a measurement, is it? :)

Thanks for all the responses! I went out and did some measurments, but didn't have the time to jack the car up (it's in storage), so here is what I have:

1996 NSX-t with stock rims (16/17") and new OEM tires.

Height at bottom of jack point tabs (four side points): 3.75"
Height at bottom of front lip (measured in the middle of car): 4.60"
Height at bottom of rear deffuser panel: 8.4"
Height at top of rear spoiler (measured in the middle of car): 35.5"

Wheel gaps:
Front = about 1"
Rear = about 2"
That's vertical distance between the top of the tire and edges of the fenders, to the best I could tell.

What do you guys think, is it stock??

Thanks!

Lowered about 1":)

Either:

1. Stock springs w/Bilsteins on lower perch
2. Eibachs w/stock shocks
3. Eibachs w/Bilsteins upper perch

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Lowered about 1":)

Either:

1. Stock springs w/Bilsteins on lower perch
2. Eibachs w/stock shocks
3. Eibachs w/Bilsteins upper perch

HTH,
LarryB

4. Tein Coilover(or other coilovers)- lowered 1"

I guess the next step is putting it on the rack to find out what I have. I was hoping that it was stock and wanted to add Comptech springs to get it an inch lower. I guess now that won't work. Too bad!

Thanks for the help!

Well, it turns out my car has Eibach springs, you guys were right. The shocks look stock, but I'm not sure. They are black and have "DUG" stamped on them along with some numbers.

Thanks for the help!

Back